ADVERTISEMENT

Sad day for MD & Notre Dame fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would assume that the people dying and being beaten are all disrespectful to police, habe actually committed crimes etc.

If a guy spits on my shoes at the courthouse and I beat the shit out of him I can't go to court and tell a jury I should walk because he spit on my

Schadenfreude,

What is the percentage of black crime compared to the rest of the population of the USA ?

According to FBI statistics from 2013 (the most recent available) there were over 9 Million arrests nationally last year.

About 6.2 Million of those arrested were White, accounting for nearly 69% of all arrests.

About 2.5 Million were Black, accounting for about 28% of all arrests.

There were more Black arrests for murder - 52% v, 45%.

Whites made up 62% of arrests for aggravated assault.

Over 2/3 of arrests for Rape, Burglary, Auto Theft, Drugs, General Theft, Possession of Stolen Property,Fraud, and Arson were Whites.

Over 80% of alcohol related arrests were Whites.

Being shining examples of family values, Whites totaled 65% of arrests for Crimes Against the Family (including children) and over 72% of the arrests for sex offenses.

Who gives a rat's behind what happens in the United Kingdom? Don't just throw out something because it supports your argument. Our problems are here. The debate is here. The fact is this. Deaths while being arrested is low, very low . When you factor in justifiable homicide during an arrest, the numbers get even lower. The media will converge on a plane crash while ignoring the thousands of planes that land safely everyday. Get the point? These officers will pay the price if guilty, but let the facts be known before we all convict. Heck, so far, the charges sound more like political appeasement than anything. Those crying out the loudest still believe that "Hands up, don't shoot" actually happened. Let the system do its job and stop wishing upon a star for a conviction without knowing any of the facts.

Reactions: Bodizephax
"Crazy, the guy killed himself in the back of the van and the city riots."

"In this case, everyone is right and everyone is wrong."

"I see your point, but don't forget, "cocaine is a hell of a drug"."

This woman says it was a homicide. I will withdraw my assertion (made in partial jest) that Mr Gray killed himself perhaps under an illegal drug.

Does this mean you are still asserting that he killed himself?

It's unfortunate that you found humor in Mr. Gray's death.

I'd find a considerable amount more humor in your death.

Your treatment of this violent tragedy is a testament to who you are...

Ps former ND, Stanford and current Raven TE K Reuland was in Baltimore shelters contributing and distributing aid to those suffering. Some day you might be lucky enough, I hope, to understand what ND is about....

According to FBI statistics from 2013 (the most recent available) there were over 9 Million arrests nationally last year.

About 6.2 Million of those arrested were White, accounting for nearly 69% of all arrests.

About 2.5 Million were Black, accounting for about 28% of all arrests.

There were more Black arrests for murder - 52% v, 45%.

Whites made up 62% of arrests for aggravated assault.

Over 2/3 of arrests for Rape, Burglary, Auto Theft, Drugs, General Theft, Possession of Stolen Property,Fraud, and Arson were Whites.

Over 80% of alcohol related arrests were Whites.

Being shining examples of family values, Whites totaled 65% of arrests for Crimes Against the Family (including children) and over 72% of the arrests for sex offenses.[/QUOTE

Interesting stats ! Based upon those stats, it seems that the police are arresting
A lot of white people ?

Here is another stat that tells the real story:
Total killings by police in the USA in 2014 was about 1026
Of those killings the number of black people and mental defective people was
Under 30. ( why mental defective was in that low number, I do not know, but that
Certainly lowers the number of black people even lower )

These officers will pay the price if guilty, but let the facts be known before we all convict. Heck, so far, the charges sound more like political appeasement than anything. Those crying out the loudest still believe that "Hands up, don't shoot" actually happened. Let the system do its job and stop wishing upon a star for a conviction without knowing any of the facts.

Its easier to lay back and let the system work when you trust it. I don't know what problems Baltimore has, but here in Chicago we've seen corruption. In Illinois, 4 of the last 8 governors have ended up serving prison time. An FBI investigation during late 80's and into the 90's (Operation Greylord) resulted in 15 judges being convicted of corruption charges. One of those judges sent 6 guys to death row, and was convicted of "fixing" 3 murder cases in return for bribes.

In a separate scandal from about the same time, a police commander named Jon Burge and detectives working under him systematically tortured over 200 suspects to obtain confessions. Torture allegations started in 1972, Burge was fired in 1993 but was able to keep his pension. By the time a special prosecutor was appointed to review Burge's cases, the statute of limitations for the tortures had run and neither Burge.nor any other officer was ever actually prosecuted for torture. In 2010, however, Burge was convicted on federal charges of obstruction of justice and perjury. He served 3 years.

Did the system work? I guess. But it took 20 years of complaints to get the guy fired. It took another 20 years for him to go to jail. And it cost the City over $50 Million dollars. And innocent people went to prison.

I've got a lot of faith in the system. Part of that faith is because when the system fails, people cry out loudly to get it back on track.

When Burge was arrested, he was released on $250,000 bail.

The Baltimore Cops charged with murder and manslaughter were released on $250,000 - $350,000 bail.

The Baltimore kid that turned himself in after breaking a squad car window during the riot is being held on $500,000 bail.

Last edited:
maxresdefault.jpg

The Baltimore Cops charged with murder and manslaughter were released on $250,000 - $350,000 bail.

The Baltimore kid that turned himself in after breaking a squad car window during the riot is being held on $500,000 bail.

This is the type of data that does get people concerned about the fairness of the system. Not only is bail lower for a more severe charge, with the police union there is also a greater likelihood of resources to achieve bail. The perception will be held by some that the system is still protecting officers.

It's nice to judge and convict the police from the comfort of a suburban living room.
This makes no sense. No one here is judging or convicting anyone, but simply challenging the notion that cops always behave correctly or always do the right thing.

This is the type of data that does get people concerned about the fairness of the system. Not only is bail lower for a more severe charge, with the police union there is also a greater likelihood of resources to achieve bail. The perception will be held by some that the system is still protecting officers.
Orioles ticket holders too. Enough already.......Play ball!!!

It's nice to judge and convict the police from the comfort of a suburban living room.

I don't know how things work in Balitimore, but here in Chicago two current police officers recently said this about internal investigations:

"I think that the public should be very angry that corruption is allowed to continue, and that officers who want to report it are retaliated against," said police officer Shannon Spalding. "The code of silence is so strong, the fear of what will happen to you is so strong, that nobody wants to come forward."

Spalding and her partner, Daniel Echeverria, were part of a 2012 investigation which led to charges against Sgt. Ronald Watts and police officer Kallatt Mohammed, both of whom were accused of stealing proceeds from drug dealers. In the end, the two were only accused with shaking down a single undercover informant who had been posing as a courier. But Spalding and Echeverria said the investigation was stopped before it snared at least half a dozen more officers.

"At one point, we were actually told the investigation was too big," Spalding said. "There were allegations of other supervisors as well, that we were never allowed to investigate."

But it’s what happened next which led to Spalding and Echeverria’s federal lawsuit. They say their role in the undercover investigation was intentionally leaked within the department, leading to years of ostracism and intimidation at the hands of commanders and fellow officers.

"My life, my safety my freedom was threatened," Spalding told NBC 5 Investigates. "I was subjected to daily harassment."

Now a third officer has come forward and has given a sworn affidavit to say she can corroborate the allegations. Former officer Janet Hanna, a 20 year department veteran, says she witnessed the harassment when the two officers were assigned with her in the fugitive apprehension unit.

Full NBC Story

There were a number of interesting post on this tread, that raised a lot of questions:
1. There are very bad politicians, especially in major cities like Chicago and Baltimore.
Answer: elect better people. Change political parties.
2. There are bad policemen.
Answer : there are bad people in every profession. Good people also
Over react and make mistakes. That is why we have a legal justice system.
3. The legal justice system is not perfect.
Answer : correct: where were the rioters in the OJ murder case?
Why did the police officer have to resign in " hands up Don't shoot ? "
Where was the justification for all the rioting and looting in that case ?
4. The inner city people need jobs:
Answer and question : who is going to create those jobs ? Where do real jobs come from ? The private sector. Small businesses. What business man would invest his money and establish a business in a high crime area that
Has unskilled workers, not to mention the fact that his business may be robbed ,
Looted and burned to the ground ? He may even be murdered in the process.
5. Where do all the rioters come from? How many actually knew and really cared about Grey, Brown, Gardner ?
6. No way do I believe that Freddy Grey caused his own death: however,none of us have all the facts in that case.
Rioting, Looting, attacking policemen, burning down businesses in the name of Justice. Is not Justice; it is mob rule: 6 offices were indicted, but they
Still are entitled to their day in court.
What if after all the facts come out the officers are aquited ?
Do the rioters then burn down Baltimore in the name of Justice.?
In short, the police are imperfect , the legal system is not always correct or just, or fair, Liberal politicians have controlled most of the major cities, with few exceptions, ever since the 1960,s. Since the Great Society, Trillions of dollars
Have been poured into the "war on poverty" .
The Black vote is about 80 % solid Democrat. How has that worked for
The Black people ?

Personally, I don't think the misuse of governmental power is a partisan issue with a partisan answer. We need transparency in government. Seems like political parties always preach reform and transparency right up until they gain power, and then reform takes a back seat.

As far as black people in big cities changing parties to free themselves from corrupt politics:

The details of the scandal sweeping the New York Republican Party are tawdry, sad and infuriating -- and a wake-up call to a national party that is urgently seeking to make inroads among black, Latino, and young voters.

Barely two weeks after RNC Chairman Reince Priebus and New York state Republican Chairman Ed Cox held a press conference at a black church in Brooklyn to launch the party's ambitious, $10 million diversity campaign, FBI agents arrested Malcolm Smith, a longtime black state legislator.

According to federal prosecutors, Smith spent months organizing cash bribes to two top city Republican officials in exchange for a slot on the ballot in this fall's Republican primary for mayor. Unfortunately for Smith, a real estate tycoon he enlisted to make cash payments was, in fact, an undercover FBI agent, according to federal prosecutors.

The criminal complaint against Smith and five others -- including a Republican City Council member and the chairman and vice chairman of two Republican county organizations -- details mind-boggling details of recorded conversations and alleged handovers of envelopes stuffed with money.

All the scheming, say prosecutors, was done in the hope that Smith might secure the Republican nomination and somehow win the race for mayor in a city where Democrats outnumber Republicans 6-to-1. Smith will get his day in court, along with the five other men and women named -- but the damage to the party is incalculable.

Full Article

This makes no sense. No one here is judging or convicting anyone, but simply challenging the notion that cops always behave correctly or always do the right thing.

The judgment on this case without knowing the facts is exactly the same as Ferguson and Staten Island. You want a conviction because you are anti police. The fact that the system will work isn't good enough. Justice has to be served in Baltimore with or without a fair trial or a Grand Jury to look at the facts. You support this. You want this. You wanted it in the other cases because you are convinced that the police are the problem. At least I am willing to let the system play out, facts be presented, then if guilty, punish the ones responsible. You honestly believed "Hands up, don't shoot" and facts be damned. Police need to act in a higher standard and not give in to the thug mentality like the people they are dealing with. It's important they act to a higher standard and those who do not should look for other work. But this willingness to throw the police overboard in every public case without knowledge of the facts is sickening. You spewed the same hate towards people of faith in Indiana without reading one single word of the law that was passed. Typical.

Reactions: rgc7 and Bodizephax
I like how wanting accountability and expressing a belief that the system doesn't always work is equal to being anti-police. I know its personal for you IN but you're note even trying to listen to other posters points of view.

There were a number of interesting post on this tread, that raised a lot of questions:
1. There are very bad politicians, especially in major cities like Chicago and Baltimore.
Answer: elect better people. Change political parties.
2. There are bad policemen.
Answer : there are bad people in every profession. Good people also
Over react and make mistakes. That is why we have a legal justice system.
3. The legal justice system is not perfect.
Answer : correct: where were the rioters in the OJ murder case?
Why did the police officer have to resign in " hands up Don't shoot ? "
Where was the justification for all the rioting and looting in that case ?
4. The inner city people need jobs:
Answer and question : who is going to create those jobs ? Where do real jobs come from ? The private sector. Small businesses. What business man would invest his money and establish a business in a high crime area that
Has unskilled workers, not to mention the fact that his business may be robbed ,
Looted and burned to the ground ? He may even be murdered in the process.
5. Where do all the rioters come from? How many actually knew and really cared about Grey, Brown, Gardner ?
6. No way do I believe that Freddy Grey caused his own death: however,none of us have all the facts in that case.
Rioting, Looting, attacking policemen, burning down businesses in the name of Justice. Is not Justice; it is mob rule: 6 offices were indicted, but they
Still are entitled to their day in court.
What if after all the facts come out the officers are aquited ?
Do the rioters then burn down Baltimore in the name of Justice.?
In short, the police are imperfect , the legal system is not always correct or just, or fair, Liberal politicians have controlled most of the major cities, with few exceptions, ever since the 1960,s. Since the Great Society, Trillions of dollars
Have been poured into the "war on poverty" .
The Black vote is about 80 % solid Democrat. How has that worked for
The Black people ?
The judgment on this case without knowing the facts is exactly the same as Ferguson and Staten Island. You want a conviction because you are anti police. The fact that the system will work isn't good enough. Justice has to be served in Baltimore with or without a fair trial or a Grand Jury to look at the facts. You support this. You want this. You wanted it in the other cases because you are convinced that the police are the problem. At least I am willing to let the system play out, facts be presented, then if guilty, punish the ones responsible. You honestly believed "Hands up, don't shoot" and facts be damned. Police need to act in a higher standard and not give in to the thug mentality like the people they are dealing with. It's important they act to a higher standard and those who do not should look for other work. But this willingness to throw the police overboard in every public case without knowledge of the facts is sickening. You spewed the same hate towards people of faith in Indiana without reading one single word of the law that was passed. Typical.

Very sad news , a New York policeman was shot in the head this afternoon !
What can I say ! Very sad for my country ! Prayers for that officer and his family.

I like how wanting accountability and expressing a belief that the system doesn't always work is equal to being anti-police. I know its personal for you IN but you're note even trying to listen to other posters points of view.

What I have been reading so far is some comparison to the United Kingdom which has nothing to do with anything. I also have read someone drone on and on about Chicago politics and that even more has nothing to do with anything. I have read the willingness to convict in Ferguson, Staten Island, and Baltimore before the facts were even laid out. All this coming from the usual suspects. Things I haven't heard is " innocent until proven guilty". "Let the facts play out". " Bring in a Grand Jury to set the table". The same usual suspects were wrong about Ferguson and Staten Island. Time will tell in Baltimore. I say bring in the DOJ and a Grand Jury. But, I'm the only one saying that. The rest of you want heads to roll.

Except nowhere have I written I want a conviction. You have no idea what I believe or what I want. There is no movement to "throw police overboard" except in your imagination.

You ascribe notions to me or other posters based on your biases because we may not be in lock-step with your way of thinking.

And I did not spew any hate toward people of faith in Indiana. If you truly believe that, then you have similar mental health issues as the knee-jerk haters of Michigan, USC, or Florida State.

And it's nice to call people "thugs" from the comfort of your own suburban living room when you actually have no idea what conditions they live in OR the facts surrounding whatever they do.

If you're going to advocate for people to wait to judge until they get all the facts, maybe you should do the same thing yourself.

What Do you call people who riot if not thugs?

Not the peaceful protestors but the A-holes....they are thugs!

Last edited:
And it's nice to call people "thugs" from the comfort of your own suburban living room when you actually have no idea what conditions they live in OR the facts surrounding whatever they do.

How blind are you NDEwing? Have you not seen the burning down of stores and cars and buildings (Arson--serious felony) and all the senseless looting (felony robberies) and the throwing of rocks at police officers (one in critical condition) on TV ! We have seen this thuggery on live tv . by the hundreds I. And whites and blacks yelling obscenities at newscastors (vile language). They arrested the cops for suspected wrong doing and if they are found guilty then they will go to prison like the thugs they are (after a jury trial unless they plead)... Just like the thugs who burned down the retirement home should go to prison.

Just because you are poor and feel mistreated does not give you the right to commit violent acts. Would Dr Martin Luther King not condem this rioting if he were still alive?.

Last edited:
big ,
Good post! What have we done since the 1960 ?
I. Passed civil rights laws to be as sure as humanly possible to insure that
All citizens have the same rights to life, Liberty, and persuit of happiness.
2 . Programs were established in a number of areas specifically to help Minorities get a step up , especially in education.
3. Trillions , yes, with a capital T , has been poured into all types of Liberal, Great Society Programs.
4. We elected a Black President , who could have united all Americans, but instead became the most divisive President that I have ever seen in my lifetime..
5. I have heard all types of excuses from my Liberal friends, Politicians, and media.
6. In my view, everyone has a personal responsibility to control his own life.
If you are poor , it is not my fault. It is not the schools' fault, and it is not the fault of the police !You must do whatever you can to improve your own life.
7. How many Black people were killed by police in 2014 In the USA. Under 30 !
While any death is tragic, under 30 seems like a very small number for the whole USA ? Seems to disprove the argument that police are try to kill Black males ?
I would be very interested in reading , not arguing, what the actual
Problems are from my Liberal friends, and exactly what possitive steps they would recommend to solving them ?

Why attack liberals? It is far more than just those on the left who see some issues. As for me, you would have to be blind to say that there are not some injustices mainly against the poor and people of color perpetuated by some in law enforcement. That said, it is pure bullshit to think all cops or most cops have it in for anyone; they have a very difficult job and I remind all of you that when everyone fled on 911it was cops and fireman who ran in, 443 to their deaths. All said, I will still stand by my point that looters, arsonists and those throwing rocks at cops are thugs of any color!

Why attack liberals? It is far more than just those on the left who see some issues. As for me, you would have to be blind to say that there are not some injustices mainly against the poor and people of color perpetuated by some in law enforcement. That said, it is pure bullshit to think all cops or most cops have it in for anyone; they have a very difficult job and I remind all of you that when everyone fled on 911it was cops and fireman who ran in, 443 to their deaths. All said, I will still stand by my point that looters, arsonists and those throwing rocks at cops are thugs of any color!

Reactions: BigFellaFan
How blind are you NDEwing? Have you not seen the burning down of stores and cars and buildings (Arson--serious felony) and all the senseless looting (felony robberies) and the throwing of rocks at police officers (one in critical condition) on TV ! We have seen this thuggery on live tv . by the hundreds I. And whites and blacks yelling obscenities at newscastors (vile language). They arrested the cops for suspected wrong doing and if they are found guilty then they will go to prison like the thugs they are (after a jury trial unless they plead)... Just like the thugs who burned down the retirement home should go to prison.

Just because you are poor and feel mistreated does not give you the right to commit violent acts. Would Dr Martin Luther King not condem this rioting if he were still alive?.

And you have no idea whether true protesters did these criminal actions, or people just exploiting the situation to accomplish theft and vandalism. As for the yelling of obscenities, I have seen similar thuggery, then, from anti-abortion protesters. Your blinders are on, only seeing bad behavior from one segment. As with judgment about the officers' actions, likewise wait to pass judgment on anyone until all FACTS are known.

Attacked ? I would think that expressing opinions and asking people on the other side of the political spectrum to give positive steps to solve the inner city problems, is more an intention of trying to find solutions to problems than attacking anyone?
Injustice ? Where did I every say that there were no Injustices ?
So just for clarity's: I was not trying to attract anyone, and certainly did not state that there were no injustices.
Other than that , I agree with the rest of your posts.

And you have no idea whether true protesters did these criminal actions, or people just exploiting the situation to accomplish theft and vandalism. As for the yelling of obscenities, I have seen similar thuggery, then, from anti-abortion protesters. Your blinders are on, only seeing bad behavior from one segment. As with judgment about the officers' actions, likewise wait to pass judgment on anyone until all FACTS are known.

I love antiabortion protesters. Murder of millions of babies is wrong. A huge stain on this country.

Obviously the riots and looting are both ridiculous and sad, as they draw attention from what is very much a concern in our society. It's a shame that those actions are taking us away from what should be a national discussion.

My question is this: if a person was arrested for looting, vandalism or "rioting", would you and jack be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until the "facts" come out?

Obviously the riots and looting are both ridiculous and sad, as they draw attention from what is very much a concern in our society. It's a shame that those actions are taking us away from what should be a national discussion.

My question is this: if a person was arrested for looting, vandalism or "rioting", would you and jack be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until the "facts" come out?

NDEwing, I have been a juror a few times and I absolutely just look at the facts of the case.

This is an emotional issue right now all around. I agree with you that there is a big concern over poverty and fairness and cops should not use overly excessive force on someone just because they may be a thug. They had 6 cops in Baltimore and I believe they should have been able to subdue him without the victim getting killed. I have watched a few prison reality shows and the guards put on their riot gear and use mace and over power the rioting prisoner without anyone getting hurt. Maybe the cops need more training on this. Maybe we could get leaders from the community meet with the police force after the training is done so they both have an understanding.
I believe we should pay cops more and have an incentive plan to help the good cops and weed out the bad ones. I hear being a cop in the inner city is very stressful. The mental welfare of the individual cop should be looked at. Psychiatrists could be used to help come up with a plan.
NDEwing, I respect and value your opinion. I think conservatives and liberals and libertarians and all others in between should not be afraid to argue and voice their opinions.
We may all have different ideas on how to solve the problems of society but we as Americans are going to have to find some common ground to help solve societys problems. Right now the Nation seems polarized.
Also, we need economists to be consulted on how to create more jobs for the youth in places like Baltimore. The jobless rate among the youth of today is astronomical. Maybe we could give businesses tax breaks if they hire disadvantaged youths just to get their foot in the door.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDEwing18
IMO the rioters....then the Mayor......have set Baltimore back another generation. Police are PAID to stop looting, arson, lawlessness.....not to "stand down". Punish those bad cops IF guilty but do not let hoodlums/thugs destroy the futures of law-abiding citizens. Sad....very sad.

Very sad news , a New York policeman was shot in the head this afternoon !
What can I say ! Very sad for my country ! Prayers for that officer and his family.

RGC, Sorry to report but that Officer has passed away today. 25 year old kid died, for what??? Sorry to say it but the days of doing active police work are over here in NYC. http://nypdconfidential.com/, Todays article in that link is pretty good. BTW that author is a left wing guy but I think writes pretty good articles on the NYPD. 50% of the cops hate him and I'm sure today, The left wing hates him.

I believe in the last year 4 NYPD cops have been killed by a black perp. Two cops suffered massive burns in COney island. The kid who lit the mattress did it because he was "Bored". Both of those officers were Latino. Two other officers were assassinated in their patrol car around Christmas by the savage from Baltimore. Now this one. BTW this upstanding citizen has been arrested over 10 times!!! RGC, I tell any cop in my travels. Look at all these deaths. Where they happen. Do NOTHING!!!

Last edited:
IMO the rioters....then the Mayor......have set Baltimore back another generation. Police are PAID to stop looting, arson, lawlessness.....not to "stand down". Punish those bad cops IF guilty but do not let hoodlums/thugs destroy the futures of law-abiding citizens. Sad....very sad.

I couldn't agree more. I go away every year with the Firehouse to a ball game. Either Football, baseball, or horse racing. Every one agreed that Baltimore is now on the do not go list. Too bad because their are some good spots in Fells Pointe and Little Italy. But what happens while your there if a controversial shooting or death happens? There is just too many nice spots in America to visit without any problems.

I forgot also O' Donnell Square also had some decent spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT