ADVERTISEMENT

Sad day for MD & Notre Dame fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it a sad day for ND fans?

Because there are ALOT of ND fans in Maryland....the first Catholic colony? And ND fans the world over respect the rule of law? And anywhere there is such senseless violence and destruction that hurts the poor Our Lady is crying? Pick one or all. May God help Save Our Country!

It's sad because this mom wasn't wearing "The Shirt".

I applaud her for intervening. More parents need to intervene.

But I don't think we need more mothers teaching their sons that violence is the right way to deal anger. That seems to be the heart of the problem.

I'm glad she wasn't wearing "The Shirt"

I applaud her for intervening. More parents need to intervene.

But I don't think we need more mothers teaching their sons that violence is the right way to deal anger. That seems to be the heart of the problem.

I'm glad she wasn't wearing "The Shirt"
I was being facetious....

Because there are ALOT of ND fans in Maryland....the first Catholic colony? And ND fans the world over respect the rule of law? And anywhere there is such senseless violence and destruction that hurts the poor Our Lady is crying? Pick one or all. May God help Save Our Country!

Why isn't it a sad day for just people?

I agree. With you 100%. Where do people get all this time to "demonstrate”. Where do this " Demonstrators" all come from" time for
All Americans start taking personal responsibility for their lives, stop
Making excuses and blaming others for all their problems.
Don't commit crimes, respect policemen and teachers, get an education,
And the problems will go away.
God help our country!

I agree. With you 100%. Where do people get all this time to "demonstrate”. Where do this " Demonstrators" all come from" time for
All Americans start taking personal responsibility for their lives, stop
Making excuses and blaming others for all their problems.
Don't commit crimes, respect policemen and teachers, get an education,
And the problems will go away.
God help our country!
Simplistic answer. The problem of unemployment will not necessarily go away. There are many people who have work hard, even earning graduate degrees, who are now unemployed. There are still issues with the economic recovery that need to improve.

I know some Ph.D,s who are unemployed; they are over-educated for many job openings with perceptions against them that they will agitate for higher salaries once on the job, Those individuals took personal responsibility, worked hard, and even landed appropriate jobs before layoffs hit them at an older age. Not always competitive against younger PhDs because of perceived salary demands, over-educated for other positions.

So, NO, the problems will not always simply go away.

Simplistic answer. The problem of unemployment will not necessarily go away. There are many people who have work hard, even earning graduate degrees, who are now unemployed. There are still issues with the economic recovery that need to improve.

I know some Ph.D,s who are unemployed; they are over-educated for many job openings with perceptions against them that they will agitate for higher salaries once on the job, Those individuals took personal responsibility, worked hard, and even landed appropriate jobs before layoffs hit them at an older age. Not always competitive against younger PhDs because of perceived salary demands, over-educated for other positions.

So, NO, the problems will not always simply go away.

Sad that the mayor of Balt. cant protect baseball fans but has no problem protecting looters, vandals and thugs from being shot for criminal acts.

Was not the topic community crime and confrontation with the police ?
Don't break the law, respect the police, and one will have close to zero problems with the police.
Are there a few bad policemen ? Without a doubt, and if they commit crimes they
Should also be prosecuted.
As far as jobs and the Economy goes ? That is a completely different argument. the economy runs in cycles. I lived through the Great Depression. Unemployment was through the roof. I lived in a neighborhood of immigrants, and my family was at the poverty level.
One big difference, the large majority obeyed the law, took whatever work that they could find, did not riot or burn down buildings and businesses, and if kids acted like thugs, their parents kicked their a$$$ until their noses bled. So kids Learned early to respect authority : parents. Teachers, clergy, police, neighbors, etc.
Those few who entered into criminal activities, were arrested , went to jail, and some were even executed.
Guess what, they got what they deserved. And no demonstrations for the
Criminals.
One other point " we did not blame others for our lack of wealth" we had
Self respect, took responsibility for our lives, and did what we had to do to better our situation.

Reactions: WOLVERNOLE
So if you commit a crime you deserve any potential problems you have coming to you from treatment by police?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/al-sharptons-baltimore-1430349198

"The president mentioned federal grants for body cameras. Body cameras are an excellent idea. In fact, images from the shoulders of every cop in America should be streamed real time on the Web around the clock so everyone can watch and hear the details of cops interacting with every level of the community. Then let’s talk about who and what needs to change."

Last edited:
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/its-societys-fault-it-always-is/

"Hear me loud and clear: any and all cops who mistreated Freddie Gray must be held accountable in court for their actions. But let’s not lie to ourselves about who does more to make Baltimore a hell for its poor black residents. It’s not the Baltimore cops; it’s the Freddie Grays. The unwillingness of the Jesse Jacksons and the Michael Eric Dysons to confront the role that black individuals and black communities play in perpetuating this cycle of violence and despair makes them hard to take seriously."

I lived through the Great Depression. Unemployment was through the roof. I lived in a neighborhood of immigrants, and my family was at the poverty level.
One big difference, the large majority obeyed the law, took whatever work that they could find, did not riot or burn down buildings and businesses, and if kids acted like thugs, their parents kicked their a$$$ until their noses bled. So kids Learned early to respect authority : parents. Teachers, clergy, police, neighbors, etc.

Jd98 ,
Thanks for the videos. They were absolutely great. I lived in New York City, and there was not very much heavy industry that I remember. The video that relates to the way the average families lived is what I remember.
The. Videos that you show of rioting was the result of " Union Organizers "
For the specific purpose of changing working conditions, better wages, and in no small part bring money and power to the unions. In any case, the riots were mostly in the Rust Belt against large businesses and had specific goals.
Unions were violet and so were the private police hired by the heavy industries. The Communist Movement was world wide and had many communist Within the Roosevelt Administration. The police, National Guard and military
We're certainly used and were also brutal.
The clashes between unionized labor and management were very violent.
In short, there were no riots that I remember Iin any neighborhoods that I knew. We had no Union members that I knew, so we had no reason to
Riot. In fact, most of the people that I knew at that time were not Union members.
There was also one other big difference Roosenelt was always positive,
He did create " Shovel Ready Jobs" . He was a uniting force, not a divider.
Roosevelt also did not hesitate to use force to put down riots.
The police were tough, and every one respected them and their actions were rarely if ever questioned. We all were taught to respect the law and the police,
We rarely ever had a problem.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/its-societys-fault-it-always-is/

"Hear me loud and clear: any and all cops who mistreated Freddie Gray must be held accountable in court for their actions. But let’s not lie to ourselves about who does more to make Baltimore a hell for its poor black residents. It’s not the Baltimore cops; it’s the Freddie Grays. The unwillingness of the Jesse Jacksons and the Michael Eric Dysons to confront the role that black individuals and black communities play in perpetuating this cycle of violence and despair makes them hard to take seriously."
This assumes that officers, prosecutors, judges and parts of the public have an interest in holding officers accountable to the same standards other human beings are held to. Don't understand that argument that is essentially minorities should respect their role in the problem regardless of whether or not police respect the role they play in the problem. Its victim blaming and additionally ignores the socio-economic structures that have created caste systems in many urban areas.

Reactions: schadenfreude
This assumes that officers, prosecutors, judges and parts of the public have an interest in holding officers accountable to the same standards other human beings are held to. Don't understand that argument that is essentially minorities should respect their role in the problem regardless of whether or not police respect the role they play in the problem. Its victim blaming and additionally ignores the socio-economic structures that have created caste systems in many urban areas.[/QUOT

Seatle,
The caste system that you blame on Socio economics, seems to me to be more Socio than economics.
Let me give one contrast: I was a high school counselor at an inner city school. At that time President Johnson was pouring billions of dollars into the inner cities in his War on Poverty.
In my school, the white kids were no longer there. The black kids ( not all but enought to disrupt and destroy the educational environment ) had very
Little interest in education. Where were the fathers ( most of the records read Deceased ). In short , no fathers around, no motivation, result very little education.
Contrast: I attended a class reunion of my elementary school. I sat at a table with an old friend. He told me that he was teaching in China Town, NY.
He loved it: kids came into school with notebooks, did their homework, respected
Their teachers.
The story of the Chinese is true for just about every other group of immigrants who ever came to this great country.
Was there any prejudice against Chinese, Jews, Italians, irish, Poles, etc.?
A lot of these groups had to learn in a completely foreign language.
Family love, male role model, motivation, no excuses ( they were all poor, they were all called nasty names, they faced all types of hardships)
Perhaps the message that black leaders should be teaching:
Is self reliance, cooperation with schools and police, stop demonstrating against police for arresting hoodlums, the quicker the thugs, drug dealers, violent gangs
Are behind bars, the better the quality of life will be for the decent citizens.
One other thing, if a man fathers a child, perhaps he should also care for that child ? Now wouldn't that be a radical idea ?

Perhaps the message that black leaders should be teaching:
Is self reliance, cooperation with schools and police, stop demonstrating against police for arresting hoodlums, the quicker the thugs, drug dealers, violent gangs are behind bars, the better the quality of life will be for the decent citizens.

Not long ago, I spent 4 years as the chairman of a local school counsel for Chicago high school in stereotypical "urban" neighborhood. In the community there is 20 percent plus unemployment, about 30 percent live below the poverty level, there's high crime and gang activity, and low graduation rates.

There were many local black leaders on the council, including the local Alderman. I keep in touch with several of them. Even though some struggle with trust themselves, they work hard to build trust between law enforcement, schools, and black youth. They preach self reliance, condemn gangs and violence and drugs, encourage students to get educated. Frankly, its a very common theme.

I think the message might be better received if we stopped saying, "Yeah, cops shouldn't use excessive force BUT . . ." every time a cop kills some kid during an arrest and instead actually tried to care about it.

Of course its easier to blame their culture, call them thugs, and pretend like its not really our problem.

Every time a cop kills a kid? And exactly how often does that happen per arrest in Chicago? Nationwide? How does "every time a cop kills a kid" compare to black on black crime in the Chicago? A city with one of the strictest gun laws in the country. Perhaps "community leaders" like Michael Phleger should spend less time in useless peace marches and more time focusing on absent fathers and the huge unwed pregnancy rate in his own community. It's just easier to blame others. Those thugs, and that's what they are...thugs, don't want help. Heck, those thugs looting and committing arson in Baltimore would have just as easily killed Freddie Gray themselves at some illegal late night bar. This is not my problem. I can't force fathers to be present. I can't force young teen girls from pregnancy. I can't dissolve the attitude and disrespect running wild in these neighborhoods. Throwing more money and more useless programs won't work but individual responsibility and the willingness to educate will. Cities need doers, not blamers and complainers.

Reactions: BGI User 348
Yup there it is again. Police using excessive force isn't a problem its the fact that we dont have fathers. The message there is if you are let down by you family, or lack of family dont commit a crime because if the police beat you or kill you they are justified.

Every time a cop kills a kid? And exactly how often does that happen per arrest in Chicago? Nationwide? How does "every time a cop kills a kid" compare to black on black crime in the Chicago? A city with one of the strictest gun laws in the country. Perhaps "community leaders" like Michael Phleger should spend less time in useless peace marches and more time focusing on absent fathers and the huge unwed pregnancy rate in his own community. It's just easier to blame others. Those thugs, and that's what they are...thugs, don't want help. Heck, those thugs looting and committing arson in Baltimore would have just as easily killed Freddie Gray themselves at some illegal late night bar. This is not my problem. I can't force fathers to be present. I can't force young teen girls from pregnancy. I can't dissolve the attitude and disrespect running wild in these neighborhoods. Throwing more money and more useless programs won't work but individual responsibility and the willingness to educate will. Cities need doers, not blamers and complainers.

AMEN!!!!!! some..."can't handle the truth!!!!!"

What is the truth? The truth that this argument is at best a deflection to enable those we trust most to protect us to operate in the own world outside of the law?

There are many issues involved. Rioting is bad but police abusing their position and killing citizens is far far worse.

To answer the question "how often do the police kill someone?", in the month of March alone police in the United States killed TWICE as many citizens compared to the number of citizens the police in the United Kingdom killed in the entire 20th Century.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT