ADVERTISEMENT

OT James Franklin

Which Fiesta Bowl was won by Brian Kelly?

Any other major?
If you would rather win an NY6 game than play in the CFB Playoff, then great. I would rather lose to eventual national champions Alabama and Clemson, and Alabama again in the CFB Playoffs in 2020 and 2018, and the title game in 2012, than win an NY6 game.

Has James Franklin ever guided Penn State to the 4-team CFB Playoffs, or played in a title game in the BCS era?

Brian Kelly indeed did so at Notre Dame. Three times in 12 seasons.

For some reason fans think if your not Nick Saban or Kirby Smart your Rich Kotite or Ted Roof. There are a lot of good coaches who are just not elite, Franklin is pretty good, but he’s a step behind Ohio State and The Khaki Cheater. Brian Kelly was the same way, really, really good just not elite, I’d put BK and Franklin on the same level, BK made the playoffs twice, Franklin has not but has more NY6 wins.

I mean Bo Pelini never won less than 9 games at Nebraska, but he never won more than 10 either, not bad but not near elite. Talk to most average football fans and bring up Bo’s name and they would call him the second coming of Ty Willingham, not True.

Franklin has won a Fiesta, Cotton and Rose Bowl over the last 10 years, better than ND over the last 30 years.
Yep. They are major bowls to the team that won them. IT didn't matter to us because we weren't playing for a national title, is the cry of the loser.

Now, did Franklin get an easier opponent in the bowl than Kelly? Yes. That is because Penn State already lost their de facto playoff game in the regular season to Michigan or Ohio State.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Yep. They are major bowls to the team that won them. IT didn't matter to us because we weren't playing for a national title, is the cry of the loser.

Now, did Franklin get an easier opponent in the bowl than Kelly? Yes. That is because Penn State already lost their de facto playoff game in the regular season to Michigan or Ohio State.
James Franklin has not guided Penn State to even one 4-team CFB Playoff in its 10 year existence, and did not guide Penn State to a title game in the BCS era.

Brian Kelly did so at Notre Dame three times in 12 seasons.

James Franklin has not guided Penn State to even one 4-team CFB Playoff in its 10 year existence, and did not guide Penn State to a title game in the BCS era.

Brian Kelly did so at Notre Dame three times in 12 seasons.
Sure but would BK have done that if he had to clear a division with Sparty, UM, and Ohio State while not dropping one to the BUGw?

Can’t got over the 9-3/10-2 hump. He’s been at PSU a while and I don’t think his team has ever played in a BIG championship game or made the playoffs.

Might be time to move on, Franklin is a very good coach, not an elite coach.
they beat Wisky in the BIG10 Champ game when they had Barkley and McSorely

Can’t got over the 9-3/10-2 hump. He’s been at PSU a while and I don’t think his team has ever played in a BIG championship game or made the playoffs.

Might be time to move on, Franklin is a very good coach, not an elite coach.
He won a Big Ten championship in 2016.

Franklin has won a Fiesta, Cotton and Rose Bowl over the last 10 years, better than ND over the last 30 years.
In bowls, Franklin beat 7-5 BC, lost to UGA, lost to USC (ND beat them that year), beat 10-2 Wash (losses to ASU and Stan), lost to Kentucky, beat Memphis, lost to Arky, beat a 3 loss Utah team.

Inferring there are any big wins in that resume is disingenuous

Reactions: notredamerises23
The 4-team CFB Playoff has been in existence 10 seasons.

James Franklin is 0-10.

Say what you will about Brian Kelly, he is not without fault. That said, two beats zero.

Reactions: notredamerises23
The 4-team CFB Playoff has been in existence 10 seasons.

James Franklin is 0-10.

Say what you will about Brian Kelly, he is not without fault. That said, two beats zero.
He didnt have to play OSU every single year....

In bowls, Franklin beat 7-5 BC, lost to UGA, lost to USC (ND beat them that year), beat 10-2 Wash (losses to ASU and Stan), lost to Kentucky, beat Memphis, lost to Arky, beat a 3 loss Utah team.

Inferring there are any big wins in that resume is disingenuous
Disingenuous would be to say they are not big wins but could be bad losses. When you win the Rose Bowl it is a big win.

Also the 2017 Rose Bowl followed the 2016 season. Southern Cal also won the PAC in 2017 but lost to Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl.

Disingenuous would be to say they are not big wins but could be bad losses. When you win the Rose Bowl it is a big win.

Also the 2017 Rose Bowl followed the 2016 season. Southern Cal also won the PAC in 2017 but lost to Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl.
The 4-team CFB Playoff is 10 seasons old.

James Franklin is 0-10. And Penn State is a Blue Blood.

Go to their message board and catch the drift of their fan base .

Classic Franklin whacking his OC-------couldn't he wait till after the Rutgers and Michigan State titanic struggles ?

Screwing up the guy professionally who has been a loyal Assistant just so he can show the fan base------" It isn't MY fault ".

Here's a heads up James-----you're the HFC------you cash the big check-----it's always your fault.

Go to their message board and catch the drift of their fan base .

Classic Franklin whacking his OC-------couldn't he wait till after the Rutgers and Michigan State titanic struggles ?

Screwing up the guy professionally who has been a loyal Assistant just so he can show the fan base------" It isn't MY fault ".

Here's a heads up James-----you're the HFC------you cash the big check-----it's always your fault.
This is why I hope Parker doesn’t get fired. Its Freeman’s job to guide his OC in my opinion. I don’t know if Parker is good or not, or how much influence there is with Freeman, but firing Parker would seem like he was scapegoating him.

Parker is a rookie OC too.

This is why I hope Parker doesn’t get fired. Its Freeman’s job to guide his OC in my opinion. I don’t know if Parker is good or not, or how much influence there is with Freeman, but firing Parker would seem like he was scapegoating him.

Marcus Freeman is not an offensive coach. It's his job to go find the best OC he can.

Reactions: tbonesays
10 years at Penn State. A Blue Blood. Zero 4-team CFB Playoff berths. Defend James Franklin and spin that any way you wish.
I think of him the same way I think of BK and a few others. Very good coach, not elite. But still good

Marcus Freeman is not an offensive coach. It's his job to go find the best OC he can.
This is true but shouldn’t Freeman have done this last year? I haven’t yet accepted that Parker is a poor OC. That looked like a poorly coordinated defense against Clemson and some of Louisville (I need to rewatch). Coordinators are allowed to have an underperformance here and there.

Freeman isn’t an offensive coach according to his resume, but I sure hope he has been reading, watching videos, and learning from his assistants since he became the head guy — I’d imagine he did over the years anyway.

I don’t think he needs experience to make the appropriate decision to fire/keep Parker.

Personally, I don't think Franklin should be fired. He has a very good record against all his opponents not named Ohio State or Michigan. They're 19-0 the last two years against all the others, with a Rose Bowl win. But yes, he's struggled against those two teams.

I think of him the same way I think of BK and a few others. Very good coach, not elite. But still good
Brian Kelly is one of 7 head coaches to play in two 4-team CFB Playoffs in its ten year existence. So I think of Brian Kelly a bit different than James Franklin, who is 0-10.

0-10.

Brian Kelly is one of 7 head coaches to play in two 4-team CFB Playoffs in its ten year existence. So I think of Brian Kelly a bit different than James Franklin, who is 0-10.

0-10.
And he has 0 NY6 wins and 0 playoff wins. And 0 NCs

O for everything.

I have no problem with any HC making staff changes as he sees fit. Like most it's a bottom line business.

I just don't like doing it with 2 games left in the regular season .

You embarass the Assistant and you hurt him professionally.

These are the same guys forever preach loyalty to staff and players.

In your world, the hell with the 4-team playoff, let's lose 2 games and win the Fiesta Bowl.
No. They are the same to me. Kelly was just fortunate that he did t have to play OSU every year or hed be the same without the NY6 wins.

Both very good coaches. Neither are elite. If one is a little above the other, so be it. They are pretty much the same coach

Reactions: tbonesays
No. They are the same to me. Kelly was just fortunate that he did t have to play OSU every year or hed be the same without the NY6 wins.

Both very good coaches. Neither are elite. If one is a little above the other, so be it. They are pretty much the same coach

Just curious-----who in your opinion are the elite HC's other than the obvious one's in Saban and Smart ?

Got it on USC. They were top 5 that year.

I disagree about the Rose Bowl being a defecto big win. It needs to have a team that is formidable, which was the case after 2016

Just curious-----who in your opinion are the elite HC's other than the obvious one's in Saban and Smart ?
Saban Smart Dabo are elite head coaches

Day Harbaugh Kelly Franklin Riley are some of the very good head coaches but not elite yet

That's reasonable. Although I will say that Franklin's major bowl matchups weren't nearly as tough as our playoff matchups. He didn't have to play anybody like 2012 Bama, 2018 Clemson or 2020 Bama.

That's reasonable. Although I will say that Franklin's major bowl matchups weren't nearly as tough as our playoff matchups. He didn't have to play anybody like 2012 Bama, 2018 Clemson or 2020 Bama.
Of course. I'm not even saying he's better. But it's not some big gap like people are trying to make it out to be.

And 2015 OSU. That team had something like 40 players eventually play in the NFL

Reactions: mbd11
Saban Smart Dabo are elite head coaches

Day Harbaugh Kelly Franklin Riley are some of the very good head coaches but not elite yet
Jim Harbaugh>Dabo Swinney.

When Dabo gets his NFL team to a Super Bowl, the toughest football level by far to coach in, just ask sub .500 NFL Head coach Nick Saban, then elevate Dabo over Harbaugh.

When the elite QB's left Clemson, so did the Clemson clout in CFB.

Jim Harbaugh>Dabo Swinney.

When Dabo gets his NFL team to a Super Bowl, the toughest football level by far to coach in, just ask sub .500 NFL Head coach Nick Saban, then elevate Dabo over Harbaugh.

When the elite QB's left Clemson, so did the Clemson clout in CFB.
This is cfb not the NFL.

DABO >>>>>>> Harbaugh and it's not close

Just stop.

This is cfb not the NFL.

DABO >>>>>>> Harbaugh and it's not close

Just stop.
When Trevor Lawrence left the room, Clemson slid. Slid hard.

Dabo's elite coaching could not save them.

How about when he had Deshaun? How did they do then?

He went 21 and 6 the last 2 years after TL left.

How about him going 22 and 4 in Taj Boyds last 2 seasons

Do those years not count?

He was good before and after the elite QBs and a non power football schedule

His accomplishments dwarf Harbaughs

And 2015 OSU. That team had something like 40 players eventually play in the NFL
You can't have it both ways as it is not a buy game against TN State. If those NY6 bowl are not big wins then losing the same game would be no big deal.

As for Penn State, they have an identity problem. The Paterno era spanned @3 generations where they won a lot of games but often did lose the big game, moreso after they gave up independence. Franklin has dug them out of the crater where they win a lot of games but are still a clear 3rd fiddle in their own division.

They still have a pretty good team, as we found out. So I wouldn't write them off just yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT