ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Over

Terry Jillery

Irish Guard
Feb 12, 2023
Up until Michigan won it all I felt like we had a chance. We haven’t won a championship since 1988. We were irrelevant even in the late 90’s when Michigan won their last. Watching Ohio State win a few was hard to deal with, but Michigan winning it this year was the nail in the coffin.

It’s clear those schools prioritize football more than us. Michigan did it and maintains high academic standards.

The odds we win another title are ridiculously low. Ohio state is reloading. Just added Caleb Downs. We don’t get kids like that and they do yearly. In the first down year in the past two decades, we had a 2nd year coach leading us to losses against schools like Louisville, Kentucky. Last time we played Cincy we got spanked. We can’t even beat Kentucky’s low school. Our young head coach lost to Marshall. Our previous coach and OC bolted for “bigger” lateral jobs. That’s never happened.

We are barely the third best school in the Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky region and we might be 4th or 5th some years (4th this year). We will sooner than later approach half a century without a title.

While I’ll always be a fan and no school will ever replace my Irish, the older I get, the more I realize Father Time passes us by like they did Nebraska, Yale, and Oklahoma. Honestly, I think OK will win one before us. I doubt we ever win one again.

Go Lions!

Last edited:
Reactions: dmaw
Up until Michigan won it all I felt like we had a chance. We haven’t won a championship since 1988. We were irrelevant even in the late 90’s when Michigan won their last. Watching Ohio State win a few was hard to deal with, but Michigan winning it this year was the nail in the coffin.

It’s clear those schools prioritize football more than us. Michigan did it and maintains high academic standards.

The odds we win another title are ridiculously low. Ohio state is reloading. Just added Caleb Downs. We don’t get kids like that and they do yearly. In the first down year in the past two decades, we had a 2nd year coach leading us to losses schools like Louisville, Kentucky. Our previous coach and OC bolted for “bigger” lateral jobs. That’s never happened.

We are barely the third best school in the Michigan, Indiana, Ohio region. We will sooner than later approach half a century without a title.

While I’ll always be a fan and no school will ever replace my Irish, the older I get, the more I realize Father Time passes us by like they did Nebraska, Yale, and Oklahoma. Honestly, I think OK will win one before us. I doubt we ever win one again.

Go Lions!
What a tool

The odds we win another title are ridiculously low. Ohio state is reloading. Just added Caleb Downs. We don’t get kids like that and they do yearly. In the first down year in the past two decades, we had a 2nd year coach leading us to losses against schools like Louisville, Kentucky. Last time we played Cincy we got spanked. We can’t even beat Kentucky’s low school. Our young head coach lost to Marshall. Our previous coach and OC bolted for “bigger” lateral jobs. That’s never happened.

We are barely the third best school in the Michigan, Indiana, Ohio region and we might be 4th or 5th some years. We will sooner than later approach half a century without a title.

Go Lions!
We all feel the pain, promising year after promising year ending in the same fate for 36 years is pretty wild for a blue blood organization/program. It took an elite coach 9 years to find one at UM (in a down year), so I share your sentiment that ND will not likely win one in my lifetime (37 years old ha) given the current landscape.

Reactions: Terry Jillery
The thing ND has going for it is the national popularity. Even in a 35+ year drought ND is still one of the highest revenue generating programs in the country. As long as that remains constant they will always be a sleeping giant ready to awake under the right leadership.

If we had a playoff amongst border states, we’d finish 4th at best. You certainly can’t win a playoff when you are dead last amongst border states. Lucky for us Fickell left Cincy or we’d likely be 5th or 6th.

1. Michigan
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville

4. Notre Dame and Kentucky

I hate to sound so negative, I’m just jaded by the disappointment for 36 years. It gets to you once you get my age. Too young to really remember much about 88. Too old to forget every game thereafter.

Last edited:

We are barely the third best school in the Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky region and we might be 4th or 5th some years (4th this year). We will sooner than later approach half a century without a title.

Go Lions!
Your premise is absolutely false
The only difference between Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame football, is that Michigan and Ohio State retained great coaches.

Harbaugh and Meyer are great coaches

Reactions: NDinNJ

Go Lions!
Another troll

Michigan proved that the advantages of the Southeastern schools can be overcome. They timed a really strong team with a down SEC and Clemson waning while FSU waxed. That is not the only formula but it's a formula that could work for us with current level of commitment and recruiting. Michigan championship shows what is possible. Now let's go get it done! Next year is the year.

Go Lions!
Yawn

If we had a playoff amongst border states, we’d finish 4th at best. You certainly can’t win a playoff when you are dead last amongst border states. Lucky for us Fickell left Cincy or we’d likely be 5th or 6th.

1. Michigan
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville

I hate to sound so negative, I’m just jaded by the disappointment for 36 years. It gets to you once you get my age. Too young to really remember much about 88. Too old to forget every game thereafter.
I’m older than you and I’m more optimistic than I’ve been in a long time. It’s not a Notre Dame or an age thing, it’s a you thing.

Also, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky is not a “region” … ND plays a national schedule.

ND is a top 10 program again.

First of all Michigan as a university does have fairly high academic standards but the football program is run like any SEC team. College football is in a state of flux, it just takes a few pieces to fall in place and ND is right up there with the big boys. Have faith !

Reactions: BGI User 756

Go Lions!
Can you wipe your crocodile tears, it’s smearing your eyeliner

Go Lions!
Terry the Tool is the second worst on this board to chase his balls

1. Michigan
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville

Criticizing coach or recruiting is normal stuff. But dude...you are whining. That ain't healthy. Maybe college football has too many carbs for you. Check out pickleball. It seems to be all the rage.

Reactions: Rockne's Rambler
I disagree completely. We have the potential to be really good in 2024. This could be our strongest team since the Holtz years. We have a solid nucleus coming back and added a star QB.

Leonard's more talented than Hartman, although he's less experienced.

Reactions: Golson5
Disagree.. We grabbed an elite QB in the portal, a guy many experts are saying will be a first day NFL pick. OSU got Will Howard, meh.... we won that one.

Should have beaten OSU this year -- Marcus and our under experienced OC gave them the game.

I like how Marcus is using the portal. Unlike other teams he is respecting the integrity of his recruiting classes (and the cohesion of the team -- see Colorado's collapse) while filling holes with solid and experienced players - Hartman, Thomas Harper and JJB -- were all solid pickups. Yes, our HC is still learning on the fly. It took Harbaugh 9 years (after being a decorated HC for 20 years!) to win the national championship.

Why not give Marcus just a little of that time to become what I know he will become.

A multiple NC winner.

I disagree completely. We have the potential to be really good in 2024. This could be our strongest team since the Holtz years. We have a solid nucleus coming back and added a star QB.

Leonard's more talented than Hartman, although he's less experienced.
Have you watched him throw a pass ?

That's not to say we couldn't be better but that would be because of our soft schedule.

Have you watched him throw a pass ?

That's not to say we couldn't be better but that would be because of our soft schedule.
So you think Hartman is more talented than Leonard?

Not a chance

Riley Leonard has a lot to prove this year. But in terms of talent and potential, hes on another level than Sam

And yes I've seen him throw a pass and run. He has all the tools to be a top 2 round NFL draft pick

Reactions: mbd11
Disagree.. We grabbed an elite QB in the portal, a guy many experts are saying will be a first day NFL pick. OSU got Will Howard, meh.... we won that one.

Should have beaten OSU this year -- Marcus and our under experienced OC gave them the game.

I like how Marcus is using the portal. Unlike other teams he is respecting the integrity of his recruiting classes (and the cohesion of the team -- see Colorado's collapse) while filling holes with solid and experienced players - Hartman, Thomas Harper and JJB -- were all solid pickups. Yes, our HC is still learning on the fly. It took Harbaugh 9 years (after being a decorated HC for 20 years!) to win the national championship.

Why not give Marcus just a little of that time to become what I know he will become.

A multiple NC winner.
Riley Leonard is not an "elite...." QB.

You can't be serious.

Hes had one injury on his career and it was a freak play.

You act like hes in his 6th year and has a long injury history

Weird comment
Golson, Riley Leonard ran the football 171 times in 2022 and 2023 before he got injured half way through 2023. I have never ever been a fan of run dependent QB's, an injury waiting to happen IMO.

I simply hope they cut down on his running the football, like Brian Kelly did with IB, because if they don't, 2023 could be re-visited with regards to Leonard's health.

Golson, Riley Leonard ran the football 192 times in 2022 and 2023 before he got injured half way through 2023. I have never ever been a fan of run dependent QB's, an injury waiting to happen IMO.

I simply hope they cut down on his running the football, like Brian Kelly did with IB, because if they don't, 2023 could be re-visited with regards to Leonard's health.
They will obviously cut back on it. He had to run because he was the Duke offense. They did it out of necessity. They had no legit wr options.

But he's a throw/run QB and it would be stupid not to use that as a weapon. Just be smart. Denbrock used Daniels legs. And Ridders. And Kizers.

Also, he got hurt on the last play of the ND game in the pocket throwing the ball. His leg got turned on. It had nothing to do with running. That play can happen to Tom Brady

They will obviously cut back on it. He had to run because he was the Duke offense. They did it out of necessity. They had no legit wr options.

But he's a throw/run QB and it would be stupid not to use that as a weapon. Just be smart. Denbrock used Daniels legs. And Ridders. And Kizers.

Also, he got hurt on the last play of the ND game in the pocket throwing the ball. His leg got turned on. It had nothing to do with running. That play can happen to Tom Brady
I adjusted the carries in the original post. 171.

Still, I am very curious how Leonard will be as a pocket QB.

Jayden Daniels was a different dude.

If anything, a team like Michigan winning should make ND more hopeful. They’ve beaten the snot out of OSU the last 3 years and that’s with significantly less recruiting talent on the field.

As tough as it is to see a rival win a title, it’s nice to see a non SEC school or NIL factory continuing to dominate every year.

Harbaugh has been the key to Michigan’s success and the sample size on Freeman is still too small to see if he will become a NC caliber coach.

If anything, a team like Michigan winning should make ND more hopeful. They’ve beaten the snot out of OSU the last 3 years and that’s with significantly less recruiting talent on the field.

As tough as it is to see a rival win a title, it’s nice to see a non SEC school or NIL factory continuing to dominate every year.

Harbaugh has been the key to Michigan’s success and the sample size on Freeman is still too small to see if he will become a NC caliber coach.
Michigan did not "...beat the snot..." out of Ohio St. in 2023. Tooth and nail.

I am very curious how Georgia would have done against Michigan.

Golson, Riley Leonard ran the football 171 times in 2022 and 2023 before he got injured half way through 2023. I have never ever been a fan of run dependent QB's, an injury waiting to happen IMO.

He got hurt on a passing play. Running is part of football, 6’4” 210#, he’s not exactly tiny.

I adjusted the carries in the original post. 171.

Still, I am very curious how Leonard will be as a pocket QB.

Jayden Daniels was a different dude.
Yes Jayden is a different dude, he was much smaller and slender frame. Riley is bigger and stronger

After 3 and even 4 years, Jayden Daniels was just a normal average QB.

Jayden after 3 years

Games - 29
Total TDs - 45
Ints - 13
Comp pct - 63

Leonard after 3 years

Games - 27
Total TDs - 43
Ints - 10
Comp Pct - 62

The tools are all there. The coach is there in Denbrock. Now he has to go out and perform. But I see no reason to think he can't be really really good this year

Michigan did not "...beat the snot..." out of Ohio St. in 2023. Tooth and nail.

I am very curious how Georgia would have done against Michigan.
Ok 2 beat downs and a game in which OSU never lead.

Michigan Georgia certainly would’ve been an interesting game. I believe I saw a post that said Georgia would’ve been -2.5 favorites.

Michigan/Georgia would have been the game between the two teams that showed the most in the season.

It doesn't matter, I believe the better QB's on the roster are sitting behind him.

Hes had one injury on his career and it was a freak play.

You act like hes in his 6th year and has a long injury history

Weird comment
After he got hurt against us, he later got hurt again vs FSU. I was watching. Their DT grabbed his facemask and yanked him awkwardly, and he got hurt again.

Go Lions!
Wow, thanks for the pep talk!!

After he got hurt against us, he later got hurt again vs FSU. I was watching. Their DT grabbed his facemask and yanked him awkwardly, and he got hurt again.
Yeah he was never healthy aftwr or game and should have stayed out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT