ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Over

Yeah he was never healthy aftwr or game and should have stayed out
He was playing decently against FSU until he got knocked out in the 3rd quarter. The game was still close then (may have been tied). Then after he went out, FSU blew them out from there.

He was playing decently against FSU until he got knocked out in the 3rd quarter. The game was still close then (may have been tied). Then after he went out, FSU blew them out from there.
Yeah that was impressive because he wasn't even healthy and you can see thr difference with him and without him for Duke.

They were a bad team without him this year

Minchey and CJ Carr, zero chance.
Right now, Angeli's the backup. And he looked very capable in the bowl game. So between him and Minchey, I think we'll be okay if Leonard goes down.

Yeah that was impressive because he wasn't even healthy and you can see thr difference with him and without him for Duke.

They were a bad team without him this year
I wouldn't say bad; definitely not nearly as good, though. They still had a quality defense.

So you think Hartman is more talented than Leonard?

Not a chance

Riley Leonard has a lot to prove this year. But in terms of talent and potential, hes on another level than Sam

And yes I've seen him throw a pass and run. He has all the tools to be a top 2 round NFL draft pick
I see him on par with Josh Allen. IF he realizes his potential. Very similar skill sets.

• Haha
Reactions: bizzybecknd
If we had a playoff amongst border states, we’d finish 4th at best. You certainly can’t win a playoff when you are dead last amongst border states. Lucky for us Fickell left Cincy or we’d likely be 5th or 6th.

1. Michigan
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville

4. Notre Dame and Kentucky

I hate to sound so negative, I’m just jaded by the disappointment for 36 years. It gets to you once you get my age. Too young to really remember much about 88. Too old to forget every game thereafter.
You are to be pitied.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I see him on par with Josh Allen. IF he realizes his potential. Very similar skill sets.
Leonard's talented, but I wouldn't go that far. Allen's 6'5, 240 and has a rifle arm. He has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. I can't think of anyone with a stronger arm right now.

You can't be serious. The two skill sets between Josh Allen and Riley Leonard are not similar. Josh Allen threw//throws the football far better.

Disagree.. We grabbed an elite QB in the portal, a guy many experts are saying will be a first day NFL pick. OSU got Will Howard, meh.... we won that one.
Define "elite." Every rating I've seen has Howard over Riley Leanord including this one - 247's. BTW, look who's #1 in the QB rating. Still think ND won that one ?

Define "elite." Every rating I've seen has Howard over Riley Leanord including this one - 247's. BTW, look who's #1 in the QB rating. Still think ND won that one ?

Yes. Easily honestly. He's much more talented.

The only reason he's that low is because he got injured and his numbers weren't that good

Howard is not that great

Yes. Easily honestly. He's much more talented.

The only reason he's that low is because he got injured and his numbers weren't that good

Howard is not that great
Well, 3 of the best QB evaluators in CF - Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day and Lanning (Oregon) - were after Howard hard until he committed to OSU. So you know more than they do about QB evaluation?

Reactions: albundy83
Well, 3 of the best QB evaluators in CF - Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day and Lanning (Oregon) - were after Howard hard until he committed to OSU. So you know more than they do about QB evaluation?
The rumors were that ND chose Leonard over Howard. Leonard's definitely a better runner, but Howard might be a more polished passer at this point.

Oh God here we go lol.

First of all, Day went after Leonard and about 2 other QBs before they settled on Howard. So come on, at least know the whole story before yapping

Second, Riley committed early and he was a lock to ND and had a do not contact on his name in the transfer portal.

He knew the few schools he wanted to talk to and it was almost a lock ge was coming to ND

So your comment was silly

Third, since when was Dan Lanning, a defensive guy, one of the best evaluators of QBs in cfb??? WHAT LOL

lol. What? They have a kid that’s never played a college down ahead of Dante Moore, Riley Leonard, Dillon Gabriel and others? Talk about a loss of credibility!

Reactions: Golson5
We all feel the pain, promising year after promising year ending in the same fate for 36 years is pretty wild for a blue blood organization/program. It took an elite coach 9 years to find one at UM (in a down year), so I share your sentiment that ND will not likely win one in my lifetime (37 years old ha) given the current landscape.
Try MY lifetime. I may be looking at SINGLE DIGITS if I'm not there already.

That's a TIGHT WINDOW on the back of 36 years, not to mention the challenges of the current environment.

Never say never, but I stopped holding my breath almost TWENTY YEARS AGO.

All I expect, these days, is an OCCASIONAL QUALITY WIN.

Try MY lifetime. I may be looking at SINGLE DIGITS if I'm not there already.

That's a TIGHT WINDOW on the back of 36 years, not to mention the challenges of the current environment.

Never say never, but I stopped holding my breath almost TWENTY YEARS AGO.

All I expect, these days, is an OCCASIONAL QUALITY WIN.
As we both know, Notre Dame has an inherent handicap due to its academic standards.

it would take an exceptional, talent pool, and an exceptional coach and coaching staff to win a national championship

But, hope springs eternal and 10 win seasons are a good start

Reactions: 4-4-3
Leonard has all the measurables but is far from elite. Now that could change but he’s yet to prove anything. Elite quarterbacks arent just stats, arm strength or potential- they win. ND has an unknown commodity with a high upside,

Reactions: rrdd2021
Which elite quarterback took his team to a championship without superior receivers and running backs? I don't care how elite the quarterback is if his weapons aren't top shelf. Basically, your roster has to be superior, top to bottom. The usual 4 or 5 teams at the top know this...and practice it routinely.

Reactions: 4-4-3

Ratings....LOL! Some of these are subjective based on what they were rated in hS. Moore went from a 5 star to a 4 star. So he's 'rated" higher but the trend isn't. The kid from Utah is garbage. Won't even beat out the Paivia kid from NMSU. But he's "rated" higher.

Ratings....LOL! Some of these are subjective based on what they were rated in hS. Moore went from a 5 star to a 4 star. So he's 'rated" higher but the trend isn't. The kid from Utah is garbage. Won't even beat out the Paivia kid from NMSU. But he's "rated" higher.
Not arguing, all of these ratings are subjective but so is calling Riley Leanord "elite" and better than that OSU QB from the portal as was the case with an earlier post. My point is that OSU (and USC-Oregon) went after him hard and there must have been a reason. Not saying that Leanord won't be very good, but let's just wait and see before annointing him "elite" before he even takes a snap

As we both know, Notre Dame has an inherent handicap due to its academic standards.

it would take an exceptional, talent pool, and an exceptional coach and coaching staff to win a national championship

But, hope springs eternal and 10 win seasons are a good start
Disagree. Michigan did just fine and we out-recruited them most years. They just hire well.

Disagree. Michigan did just fine and we out-recruited them most years. They just hire well.
If you knew or how to read, you would’ve seen that I already referenced hiring

However, that doesn’t discount the fact that Notre Dame has an inherent disadvantage created by theor academic standards, which are higher than Michigan’s

If you knew or how to read, you would’ve seen that I already referenced hiring

However, that doesn’t discount the fact that Notre Dame has an inherent disadvantage created by theor academic standards, which are higher than Michigan’s
Does not matter. We recruited better and they still won. Save your excuses.

ND also lost to far less talented teams over the last 15-20 years. That's coaching and preparation.
When Brian Kelly left Notre Dame, he owned the longest winning streak in CFB against teams outside the top 25.

I am certain there is a narrative to refute or downgrade that fact.

When Brian Kelly left Notre Dame, he owned the longest winning streak in CFB against teams outside the top 25.

I am certain there is a narrative to refute or downgrade that fact.
Please prove that, show me that article because that's a result that can be taken one of two ways.

Please let's not forget in 2016 alone they lost to unranked:
Duke
NC State
Stanford
Navy
Virginia Tech

Please prove that, show me that article because that's a result that can be taken one of two ways.

Please let's not forget in 2016 alone they lost to unranked:
Duke
NC State
Stanford
Navy
Virginia Tech
Brian Kelly coached 5 seasons after 2016. Brian Kelly owned the longest winning streak in the nation against teams outside the top 25 when he left for LSU. I counted 44 straight wins from 2017 through 2021.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
Brian Kelly coached 5 seasons after 2016. Brian Kelly owned the longest winning streak in the nation against teams outside the top 25 when he left for LSU. I counted 44 straight wins from 2017 through 2021.
lol, that tells me Brian Kelly was the beneficiary of the easiest/softest schedules in the history of Notre Dame football. ND literally averaged 8.8 games per year vs unranked opponents. Not exactly an accomplishment to be proud of for a program like Notre Dame.

Thank you for proving what I've always stated about that 5 year run.,

lol, that tells me Brian Kelly was the beneficiary of the easiest/softest schedules in the history of Notre Dame football. ND literally averaged 8.8 games per year vs unranked opponents. Not exactly an accomplishment to be proud of for a program like Notre Dame.

Thank you for proving what I've always stated about that 5 year run.,
ND---You gotta win a lot of games to play in big games. That's the way CFB works.

If you believe that 44 consecutive wins against teams outside the top 25 is easy, well, we simply disagree.

ND---You gotta win a lot of games to play in big games. That's the way CFB works.

If you believe that 44 consecutive wins against teams outside the top 25 is easy, well, we simply disagree.
Kelly was 12-9 vs top 25 teams, but when you look at his record against the top 5 and top 10, it's far from impressive. In fact it's atrocious, he was 2-9 during that stretch vs top 10 teams and I'm including top 10 at the time they played.

Some on this forum claim Kelly is as good as Holtz. Holtz record vs top 5 and top 10 teams was very impressive and is far better than Kelly's record vs the top 25.

Kelly was 12-9 vs top 25 teams, but when you look at his record against the top 5 and top 10, it's far from impressive. In fact it's atrocious, he was 2-9 during that stretch vs top 10 teams and I'm including top 10 at the time they played.

Some on this forum claim Kelly is as good as Holtz. Holtz record vs top 5 and top 10 teams was very impressive and is far better than Kelly's record vs the top 25.
I have never read anyone say Brian Kelly is better than Lou Holtz. Ever. That said, Holtz coached in a different era, early on he was allowed to bring in SEC level students to play football.

When the academic clamps were placed on Lou by Monk Malloy, like they are today, Holtz won loss record was far different in 1994-1996 than 1988-1993. That's why Holtz resigned.

I have never read anyone say Brian Kelly is better than Lou Holtz. Ever. That said, Holtz coached in a different era, early on he was allowed to bring in SEC level students to play football.

When the academic clamps were placed on Lou by Monk Malloy, like they are today, Holtz won loss record was far different in 1994-1996 than 1988-1993. That's why Holtz resigned.
I didn't say better, but i've read as good, or equivalent, which is laughable.

That’s not why Holtz resigned.

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT