ADVERTISEMENT

Officially Official Rose Bowl ND v. Bama Game Thread

So what? There are some exceptions. Alabama is also a decent state school producing fine graduates. But you need to look at whole picture, especially football.

At ND you have to be fully matriculated in a degree program. There are no soft degrees. ND in general is a much tough and competitive academic school than Alabama.

Many schools in contrast offer degrees that are almost impossible to fail. Distorting the entire notion of GPAs and graduation rates. So it is not at all comparable, especially when it comes to fielding a team in depth.

ND can actually produce a good rate of NFL talent, especially on the lines. But not in depth. And not as much in the skill positions. That is a significant margin of difference in the CFP against Alabama, Clemson, OSU, and the occasional Georgia or LSU.

I well remember 1988 when I was in college. This is totally different. ND back then had those skill players and depth. Then decided to hold the standard.

It is what it is.

Wait a second. Are you saying those guys who played for Holtz and won a national championship and finished second in 1993 were not good students? Did not get their degrees? Did not go on to make something of themselves after leaving Notre Dame. They decided to hold the standard. What a bullshit statement and what an insult to those guys who suited up in that era. Just another lame excuse from a Kelly jock holder.

Wait a second. Are you saying those guys who played for Holtz and won a national championship and finished second in 1993 were not good students? Did not get their degrees? Did not go on to make something of themselves after leaving Notre Dame. They decided to hold the standard. What a bullshit statement and what an insult to those guys who suited up in that era. Just another lame excuse from a Kelly jock holder.

I'm here because I find college football entertaining and banter casually with fans. Not to sling insults. Chill out my friend.

But with that, yes, ND and other schools took liberties with academics back in the day. I won't get into details, but I can attest to this personally when I was a student and assistant to a professor.

Things changed. ND took their mission more seriously. At least in terms of admission standards. And I believe in holding athletes to the high standards, no funny business.

Honestly, I have to wonder if Kelly's number one goal was to win this game. It sounds stupid BUT it seemed like all we wanted to do in this game was chew clock so the score would stay respectable. Just a deflating way to end the season these last two games.

And our losses in big games are starting to create a negative stigma around the program.

Book sucks, Rees sucks, and your football IQ sucks. Even I do not believe you are this obtuse. No one can be deliberately. I think this is your thing. Come here and s stir the pot with your insane obsurdities.

Please refer to the quarter and game clock and indicate to me precisely when PatIrish was being either obtuse or absurd.

Please refer to the quarter and game clock and indicate to me precisely when PatIrish was being either obtuse or absurd.
We are flush with Patrirish idiot illustrations in this thread alone. I really don't have the energy, nor the inclination of breaking it down for you. Look them up yourself.

I'm here because I find college football entertaining and banter casually with fans. Not to sling insults. Chill out my friend.

But with that, yes, ND and other schools took liberties with academics back in the day. I won't get into details, but I can attest to this personally when I was a student and assistant to a professor.

Things changed. ND took their mission more seriously. At least in terms of admission standards. And I believe in holding athletes to the high standards, no funny business.

I know one of the guys who played on the 1988 team and I've had the privilege of meeting a few others along the way. They are all successful Notre Dame graduates holding down great jobs with great families to boot. I still take issue with your previous statement. I'm not here to sling insults either, but I find it offensive that you would refer to fellow ND alums who played football in that time period that way.

I know one of the guys who played on the 1988 team and I've had the privilege of meeting a few others along the way. They are all successful Notre Dame graduates holding down great jobs with great families to boot. I still take issue with your previous statement. I'm not here to sling insults either, but I find it offensive that you would refer to fellow ND alums who played football in that time period that way.

All I'm saying was that it was more lax and some ND athletes did coast academically and some were admitted with poor qualifications. I am not questioning those who legitimately graduated. Back then ND could get many skilled game breakers and depth because of that.

BTW: I'm not an ND alum, but graduated a Catholic college where I saw similar things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT