ADVERTISEMENT

Official ND - Nothwestern thread ...

This is part of what has held ND back in my opinion. Ball state played to stop the run on 1St and 2nd down. So did Pitt. And NW. For all Wimbush's trouble passing being in 3rd and long on most drives didn't do him any favors. Every coach who plays against ND knows they will spend massive amounts of effort trying to run against overloaded fronts for long stretches of the game.

Yep. Completely moronic that Long calls the shit he does. Team was whipping em in the 3rd and just somehow flip a switch and turn it off. Makes me sick.

Don’t forget the OL. Wimbush was getting drilled every drop back. We can say Wimbush wasn’t an effective passer, but the OL did him zero favors. Book can get it out faster so he nuetralizes a lot of the pressure. When he’s in anything more than a 3 step drop, he’s actually not much better if any than Wimbush.
But that’s still MUCH better than Wimbush

am i the only one watching a really average/porous defense the last 3 weeks ?

there's more to good defense than just the score ..

the defense had a partially good 3rd quarter .. the other 3 quarters they have been really porous .. there's no rotation at LB .. there's no depth in the 2ndary .. the interior defensive line is downright bad .. and once the starters get winded the other team just moves the ball with relative ease ..
I don’t know man. We held them to less than 250 total yards. 100 yards less than average passing for their QB. Almost 500 total yards of offense. I don’t think it was close because of the defense. If you told me those stats I would say they lose by a lot more than 10. Kelly said post game we didn’t finish like a playoff team. At least he is honest.

Don’t forget the OL. Wimbush was getting drilled every drop back. We can say Wimbush wasn’t an effective passer, but the OL did him zero favors. Book can get it out faster so he nuetralizes a lot of the pressure. When he’s in anything more than a 3 step drop, he’s actually not much better if any than Wimbush.
Certainly not excusing the offensive line. They haven't played well and have regressed some as season has gone on. I'm just pointing out there is a clear pattern that isn't doing the team any favors and at times it ended up putting Wimbush in the last situation you want Wimbush in.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
I don’t know man. We held them to less than 250 total yards. 100 yards less than average passing for their QB. Almost 500 total yards of offense. I don’t think it was close because of the defense. If you told me those stats I would say they lose by a lot more than 10. Kelly said post game we didn’t finish like a playoff team. At least he is honest.

its not yards its efficiency that matters (e.g. not allowing the other team to get first downs)

the other team is using their offense to defend NDs offense .. so there's not going to be a lot of points or yards (limited possessions is the strategy vs ND) .. it isn't good defense keeping yards and points down .. it's the other team wanting to drain as much clock as possible and ND not making plays on defense to get their offense back on the field

i dont know why im the only one that sees this ..

clock is burned .. NDs offense moves the ball with ease but only gets a few possessions to work with

when the defense made plays in the 3rd quarter and killed some drives quickly ND had like 4 possessions and put up 17 pts in a hurry.

ND had 11 offensive possessions tonight. They scored less than 50% of the points they could have.

Their defense held them in the game long enough to win. As they always do!

Reactions: BGI User 1596
its not yards its efficiency that matters (e.g. not allowing the other team to get first downs)

the other team is using their offense to defend NDs offense .. so there's not going to be a lot of points or yards (limited possessions is the strategy vs ND) .. it isn't good defense keeping yards and points down .. it's the other team wanting to drain as much clock as possible and ND not making plays on defense to get their offense back on the field

i dont know why im the only one that sees this ..

clock is burned .. NDs offense moves the ball with ease but only gets a few possessions to work with

when the defense made plays in the 3rd quarter and killed some drives quickly ND had like 4 possessions and put up 17 pts in a hurry.
I agree 100% chase.

the defense had its up and downs this game .. but the perception is that the defense is carrying the team right now .. and that hasn't been the case over the last several weeks ..

the offense is the better unit right now .. and has been since book took over.

ND has been a top 10 offense since book took over .. and the defense has been trending in the wrong direction .. very worried about lack of rotation on defense .. that unit is wearing down

the defense had its up and downs this game .. but the perception is that the defense is carrying the team right now .. and that hasn't been the case over the last several weeks ..

the offense is the better unit right now .. and has been since book took over.

ND has been a top 10 offense since book took over .. and the defense has been trending in the wrong direction .. very worried about lack of rotation on defense .. that unit is wearing down

Not true. The offense has put them in shitty positions all year and they've made it work.

The offense has no business being as average as it was in the first half of 2 of the last three games against a bunch of unathletic white kids.

How does Brian Polian have a $300,000 per year job. He's stealing. Average recruiter out in California and every week his special teams is average to bad.

Last edited:
@FriedmanIP Hayes has shown not one good pass rush move this whole game, and just had a terrible missed tackle.

So the guy with 2 sacks, despite splitting time at the Drop End position, is a terrible pass rusher?

This is even more pathetic than your usual idiocy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT