ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame 2017 Recruiting Class 3.0

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Hey guys, I've been on course recently and haven't had much time to post, but I've been following ND recruiting none-the-less. There was a lot of angst in winter about the quality of recruits ND was landing and I think several of us tried to calm the board. I believe I suggested that Notre Dame would finish with no fewer than 12 4 star recruits in this class, and possibly 1-2 5 star recruits as well. With the additions of C.J. Holmes today, ND now has 7 composite 4 star recruits in the class, to go along with 7 composite 3 star recruits. ND is expected to pick up a couple more 4 star commits in the coming weeks, so don't be shocked if ND has as many as 9 of them committed prior to the start of the season and official visits. Robert Hainsey (OL) and Darnell Ewell (DT) seem to be next in line at this point.

What excites me most about the potential of having such a quality group of recruits committed before the start of the season is that ND will still take a couple additional offensive lineman, as many as 3 more wide receivers and 2-3 more DB's. Expect most of those players to be 4 and 5 star quality guys as ND can now afford to be much more picky with who they take. There are between 8-11 spots left in the class and really the only position that ND is struggling to land impact players at right now is the DE position. Thankfully ND got 3 good ones last year, so if they can add a couple good ones to this years class down the stretch, they'll be ok.

Here is my current, and ever evolving prediction for ND's 2017 class...

QB: Avery Davis (4 Star)
RB: C.J. Holmes (4 Star)
WR: Tarik Black (4 Star)
WR: Osiris St. Brown (4 Star)
WR: Jordan Pouncey (3 Star)
TE: Brock Wright (4 Star)
TE: Cole Kmet (4 Star)
OT: Jedrick Wills (5 Star)
OT: Josh Lugg (4 Star)
OG: Robert Hainsey (3 Star)
OG: Dillan Gibbons (3 Star)
DT: Darnell Ewell (4 Star)
DT: Jerron Cage (4 Star)
DT: Kurt Hinish (3 Star)
DE: Josh Paschal (4 Star)
DE: Jonathan MacCollister (3 Star)
DE: Chris Whitaker (3 Star)
LB: David Adams (4 Star)
LB: Pete Werner (4 Star)
LB: Drue White (3 Star)
S: Isaiah Robertson (4 Star)
S: Amari Carter (3 Star)
CB: Saiid Adebo (4 Star)
CB: Shaun Wade (5 Star)

Class Composition

3 Stars: 8
4 Stars: 14
5 Stars: 2

Note: I know that it's gutsy of me to predict that ND will flip both Cage and Wade from OSU. That's not going to be easy, but I think ND has a legit shot.

For the record, plugged into the 247 sports composite "Class Calculator", this class would receive a total rating of 279.06 points (currently 212.92 points, currently ranked 8th overall). As a comparison, ND's 2016 recruiting class finished ranked 15th overall, with a score of 249.43. Alabama finished 1st 2017, with a class that totalled 301.41 points. The 279.06 I have ND projected at this year would have been good enough for 8th overall, narrowly knocking Georgia to 9th on the list.

I'd be happy with this class. As for those 3 star recruits, I hope folks remember last year that ND had a few 3 star commits that became 4 stars. I've looked at film on almost every recruit and I have to say I really like the 3 stars. I think Adebo and possibly Pouncey are likely candidates to become 4 stars. Getting Hainsey(who is a 4 star) and Ewell before the season started would be huge! I don't think flipping Cage is all that unlikely, since his brother is at ND. Getting those 2 DTs would be awesome, as its probably ND's biggest need. Really disappointed that ND doesn't appear to be in the mix for any elite D-ends such as Kaindoh, Mahlone-Hatcher, Beal, Carter, and Echols(who from what I've read still has interest, but not holding my breath). I can't see how ND gets Wade though. Does he have plans for a visit?

Other guys that aren't on your list that I'm hoping for are
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Hezekiah Jones(recently made his top 4)
Dalyn Wade-Perry
Thomas Graham
Ambry Thomas
Chaz Ah You
RJ Potts(he's a local recruit, how can ND not get him!?!)

Reactions: Bodizephax
Of the guys you listed...

Donovan Peoples-Jones: Not coming to ND.
Hezekiah Jones: Shocked if he leaves Texas to go anywhere other than maybe Oregon (where his mom lives).
Dalyn Wade-Perry: Stanford vs ND battle. I have the Cardinal winning that one.
Thomas Graham: He's my next guy in in terms of elite corners (after Wade) that I think ND has a shot with. We'll know more after his official visit.
Ambry Thomas: Made my list previously. ND vs Michigan battle. I have it 60/40 Michigan as of right now.
Chaz Ah You: If he leaves the West Coast for anywhere it will be ND. I just don't see it right now.
RJ Potts: ND isn't pushing for him at this point in time. Appears to be down their board quite a bit.

Note: Adebo is a composite 4 star. He's a 3 star on rivals, but has a composite 4 star rating across the services.

Hezekiah Jones: Shocked if he leaves Texas to go anywhere other than maybe Oregon (where his mom lives).
Thomas Graham: He's my next guy in in terms of elite corners (after Wade) that I think ND has a shot with. We'll know more after his official visit.
Ambry Thomas: Made my list previously. ND vs Michigan battle. I have it 60/40 Michigan as of right now.
Chaz Ah You: If he leaves the West Coast for anywhere it will be ND. I just don't see it right now.
RJ Potts: ND isn't pushing for him at this point in time. Appears to be down their board quite a bit.

Note: Adebo is a composite 4 star. He's a 3 star on rivals, but has a composite 4 star rating across the services.

From what we are hearing, Ambry Thomas is a UM - MSU battle with

From what we are hearing, Ambry Thomas is largely a UM - MSU battle, though he is also showing interest in OSU and UF.

QB: Avery Davis (4 Star)
RB: C.J. Holmes (4 Star)
WR: Tarik Black (4 Star)
WR: Osiris St. Brown (4 Star)
WR: Jordan Pouncey (3 Star)
TE: Brock Wright (4 Star)
TE: Cole Kmet (4 Star)
OT: Jedrick Wills (5 Star)
OT: Josh Lugg (4 Star)
OG: Robert Hainsey (3 Star)
OG: Dillan Gibbons (3 Star)
DT: Darnell Ewell (4 Star)
DT: Jerron Cage (4 Star)
DT: Kurt Hinish (3 Star)
DE: Josh Paschal (4 Star)
DE: Jonathan MacCollister (3 Star)
DE: Chris Whitaker (3 Star)
LB: David Adams (4 Star)
LB: Pete Werner (4 Star)
LB: Drue White (3 Star)
S: Isaiah Robertson (4 Star)
S: Amari Carter (3 Star)
CB: Saiid Adebo (4 Star)
CB: Shaun Wade (5 Star)

If this happens i would be thrilled. Awesome DB class, very nice DT combo there, another great Oline class, 2 great TEs, Paschel looks like a future stud, Holmes will be a playmaker and there's some real talent in that WR class there too. we'll see if this happens, i hope so. some reaches obviously and there will be someone we havent heard of yet, someone flip from someone else and hopefully not a decommitment. i dont think its a huge reach though to make this the final class prediction.

Echols likes ND a lot and says nothing but good things about the Irish, however , the guys plugged in to his recruitment will believe that he leaves the West Coast, when they see it. I have ND in 2nd with Echols, with distance being the most significant factor.

Reactions: TXNDFan88
a name to keep an eye on is CA ATH Greg Johnson. Johnson is rated anywhere from the 3rd to sixth best athlete in the nation and is a verbal to Arizona right now but says our irish are in his top two and is coming for an OV this fall. says our irish are recruiting him really hard

Reactions: BGI User 1596
5 star TX LB Baron Browning must have liked his irish invasion visit because he is coming back with brother for an OV this fall for the Stanford game. some say it is a TX vs OSU battle but hopefully a win in a huge game against Stanford gives us a chance with him

someone elsewhere was talking about CA CB Thomas Graham who is rated as a top five CB and was saying that his dad goes to a certain irish and that he is really high on our irish just like his son and basically wouldn't mind him coming to south bend but mom has to see the campus first on the OV this fall. I've been following his recruitment for a while and I can say that our have a great shot at getting him if mom approves after the fall visit. mom is all about academics first. top ten rated DT Darnell Ewell from Virginia should be irish this Friday according to a lot of insiders and this kid is a beast with offers from just about all the big boys like bama. Michigan and ohio st

Reactions: giannarose
NC OLB Justin Foster who is a top five rated OLB is down to TENN. UGA, ND and CLEMSON and intends to announce in about month and a half according to him. don't have a feeling either way with him but he would be an awesome get as he can go sideline to sideline with his speed and has great athleticsm. 5 star WA OT Foster Sarell and family really love our irish and coach HH but distance to see games seems to be make them hesitate right now but they are coming back for a game this fall and so we'll see what happens after that

One 3-star defensive tackle has committed . Not good . Beal not coming . Are we really in ,on getting top flight defensive line talent ? D. Cage's brother, headed to Ohio State ,great . So far not a good defensive line class and I have to hope that 2018 helps us get a number of quality players.

if we get the guys that I mentioned above your post Izo then your looking at one of the better defensive hauls in the country. our irish aren't recruiting cage's little brother very hard and there in on several top 15 rated DEs that they have a good shot with

Izo... 3 Star SDE Jonathan McCollister has also committed at this point.

4 star, DT Darnell Ewell (6'3, 300lbs) is committing on July 15th. ND is the heavy favourite in that recruitment.

4 star DT Jerron Cage (6'1, 280lbs) is still looking at Notre Dame. Unless it's a grades issue (which I don't think is the case), I'm predicting a flip here. He'll visit ND officially for a game.

4 star DE Josh Paschal (6'3, 250lbs) has ND in his top 3. He'll return to ND on an official visit.

4 star DE Hunter Echols (6'3, 225lbs) has ND neck-and-neck with UCLA for his services. We'll see if ND can pull him off the West Coast.

4 star DE Josh Kaindoh (6'5, 250) is still looking at ND despite committing to Maryland. Most think he'll be back to ND on an official. Having guys like Tony Jones, Robert Hainsey and Spencer Perry helps ND a lot here.

Keep in mind that things change quickly with DL and it's a battle for them right up until the end. Keep in mind that last year at this time, 2 of ND's 3 prized DL recruits in the 2016 class, Daelin Hayes and Khaled Kareem, were committed to USC and Alabama at this time last year... Give the staff some time to keep working these guys. With a good number of prospects already committed, they're able to narrow their focus here and really lock onto some of these top DL guys. It's always been the hardest position for ND to recruit, going back many years. The staff is certainly as aware as we are of the need for top talent along the DL. They'll make some noise before the class is all-said-and-done.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
My updated take/prediction:

This my "best guess" at who we'll actually land and what their FINAL composite (247) ranking will be (not what it is right now)

Just for reference on how composite rankings are spread out
5*: 98-100+
4*: 90-97
3*: 80-89

QB - Avery Davis - 4* (92)
RB - CJ Holmes - 4* (92)
WR - Tarik Black - 4* (94)
WR - Osiris St. Brown - 4* (92)
WR - Michael Young - 3* (88)
TE - Brock Wright - 4* (96)
TE - Cole Kmet - 4* (96)
OT - Jedrick Wills - 5* (98)
OT - Josh Lugg - 4* (94)
OG - Robert Hainsey - 4* (94)
OG - Dillon Gibbons - 3* (88)
CB - Paulson Abedo - 4* (94)

DT - Darnell Ewell - 4* (94)
DT - Kurt Hinish - 3* (87)
DT/DE - Jonathon MacCollister - 3* (87)
DE/DT - Joshua Passhcal - 4* (91)
DE/OLB - K'Jakyre Daley - 3* (89)
LB - Pete Werner - 4* (96)
LB - David Adams - 4* (93)
LB - Drew White - 3* (88)
FS - Isaiah Robertson - 4* (92)
SS - Amari Carter - 3* (89)
ATH - Jordan Pouncey - 3* (87)

My updated take/prediction:

This my "best guess" at who we'll actually land and what their FINAL composite (247) ranking will be (not what it is right now)

Just for reference on how composite rankings are spread out
5*: 98-100+
4*: 90-97
3*: 80-89

QB - Avery Davis - 4* (92)
RB - CJ Holmes - 4* (92)
WR - Tarik Black - 4* (94)
WR - Osiris St. Brown - 4* (92)
WR - Michael Young - 3* (88)
TE - Brock Wright - 4* (96)
TE - Cole Kmet - 4* (96)
OT - Jedrick Wills - 5* (98)
OT - Josh Lugg - 4* (94)
OG - Robert Hainsey - 4* (94)
OG - Dillon Gibbons - 3* (88)

DT - Darnell Ewell - 4* (94)
DT - Kurt Hinish - 3* (87)
DT/DE - Jonathon MacCollister - 3* (87)
DE/DT - Joshua Passhcal - 4* (91)
DE/OLB - K'Jakyre Daley - 3* (89)
LB - Pete Werner - 4* (96)
LB - David Adams - 4* (93)
LB - Drew White - 3* (88)
FS - Isaiah Robertson - 4* (92)
SS - Amari Carter - 3* (89)
ATH - Jordan Pouncey - 3* (87)

Decker,

We're pretty close in our best guess scenario. I'm definitely a little bit more optimistic than you on the defensive side of the ball, but it's admittedly a little bit of wishful thinking on my behalf. With that said, I think we get Jerron Cage at the end of the day and part of it is because I think Ohio State is going to land several studs there and Cage might look for a better opportunity for himself.

someone elsewhere was talking about CA CB Thomas Graham who is rated as a top five CB and was saying that his dad goes to a certain irish and that he is really high on our irish just like his son and basically wouldn't mind him coming to south bend but mom has to see the campus first on the OV this fall. I've been following his recruitment for a while and I can say that our have a great shot at getting him if mom approves after the fall visit. mom is all about academics first. top ten rated DT Darnell Ewell from Virginia should be irish this Friday according to a lot of insiders and this kid is a beast with offers from just about all the big boys like bama. Michigan and ohio st

Actually, Michigan and Ohio St passed on Ewell, which is why ND is now in the driver's seat.

Actually, Michigan and Ohio St passed on Ewell, which is why ND is now in the driver's seat.

Ohio St did, Michigan did not...the ND visit just moved ND aghead of Michigan

Ohio State moved in after already having Cage and Garrett plus being in on additional guys

One of the reasons I mentioned 2018 recruiting , Sam Mustipher's brother P..J is a very highly ranked high school defensive tackle from Maryland . P.J. Is rated as a top 5 at his position .

your right TheDecker about Ewell as there is no way Michigan would pass up on getting one the top 8 rated DTs in the nation because that is a beast. harbaugh in rebuilding Michigan up recruiting wise would have to be the village idiot to not want this guy in the lineup with rashan gary. those two would be a nasty duo to have to face

Michigan did not pass on Ewell, they'd love to have him. Ohio State passed only because they already have two studs committed and they're pushing for two additional top 10 DT's'... Ewell would be a great pickup for ND. had the frame to be a 6'2, 315lb space-eater.

Get Ewell on Friday, then start going hard after PJ for the class of '18. Hinish and Ewell backed up by PJ and Jason Ademilola for next years class looks to be some really solid DT recruiting. If you can add Echols, Paschal, or Kaindoh (would be incredible) to last years DE haul, then you may be talking elite DL material in a couple years.

getting Echols may be hard but he is visiting in the fall so who knows. he visited Michigan recently just like he visited south bend and in a recent interview said that he is all ucla but is really thinking irish whenever he sees people with irish gear. also said our irish are the only team that could overtake ucla. I believe the irish and bruins are his only OVs for this fall

an ultimate optimistic overall class ranking would be 5th.

But more important than the class ranking is getting the impact players at the DT and DE positions.
I tend to look at these things in 'pairs' . In recruiting elites up from impact 1+1 > than 2. It is really a wild guess who ND is really being given consideration from the B S 'education matters' prospect who then places full emphasis on the "fringe benefits".

For ND fans, recruiting has always seen the "July high"; TOS mods stoke up the fans with a rash of bogus CB's so now let's see how the class closes. Show us the beef!

Get Ewell on Friday, then start going hard after PJ for the class of '18. Hinish and Ewell backed up by PJ and Jason Ademilola for next years class looks to be some really solid DT recruiting. If you can add Echols, Paschal, or Kaindoh (would be incredible) to last years DE haul, then you may be talking elite DL material in a couple years.

That's what alot of people don't understan.. Notre Dame is actually in really good shape at SDE and DT for the foreseeable future and the the staff landed two stud WDE last year . If the Irish we end up with...

SDE: Jay Hayes (3 years left )
2. Khaled Kareem (4 years left)
3. Jonathan Bonner (3 years left)

NG: Daniel Cage (2 years left)
2. Darnell Ewell (4 years left)
3. PJ Mustipher (4 years left)

DT: Jerry Tillery (3 years left)

DT: Jerry Tillery (3 years left )
2. Kurt Hinish (4 years left)
3. Jayson Ademilola (4 years left)

WDE: Andrew Trumbetti (2 years left)
2. Daelin Hayes (4 years left )
3. Julian Okwara (4 years left )
4. Echols / Paschal / kaindoh (4 years left)

That's a lot of talent and depth and doesn't even include any of the project type DL ND has recruited, who may develop into quality players as well... Gotta land a few guys , and may be you add a Jerron Cage to the mix as well.

Reactions: Pennick44
Michigan did not pass on Ewell, they'd love to have him. Ohio State passed only because they already have two studs committed and they're pushing for two additional top 10 DT's'... Ewell would be a great pickup for ND. had the frame to be a 6'2, 315lb space-eater.
Passed is not the right word...Michigan currently has two DTs in the fold...they'll probably take one more but they have slowed down on recruiting the position to see how things shake out with a kid or two...its a strategy that can backfire but it could also reap big rewards...either way the key at this point is really holding onto the DT from Georgia

^ which of the above players and / or prospects has distinguished himself in actual playing time on the field that indicates they are 'playoff' level players? Actual on the field experience, not message board fodder!

(obviously the Fr or furure Fr have never seen the field...but the rest? who is proven that the statement that there is starting quality talent and or backup talent! is remotely valid.

Truth is, what you have are mostly speculative "hopes". Only Hayes was not considered as a project coming in.

That is why the staff works effortlessly recruiting the 5* talent ! They know.

every team in the country (Alabama and OSU) are relying on development of kids that have never played . That's not unique to Notre Dame . All the coaches can do is recruit the best players an develop them. ND's proven guys are guys like Jarrob Jones, Isaac Rochell and Daniel Cage . The guys who have taken a lot of snaps... The next wave of guys are very talented, but unproven. Just like the guys at every other school waiting for their turn .

Reactions: Pennick44
only Rochelle has consistantly displayed upper level talent; 1 missed a season and 1 was not a starter yet
Everyone else is an unknown or project as of now; they need to 'prove it'!

True Bama has to replace players, as do other contenders; but they are not putting in guys who came in as projects; when one of their new starters fails it is a shocker and he is quickly replaced by another elite prospect.

The point is BS in trying to create the notion that ND has a Playoff calibre DL even before the players have played consistantly or even played as starters. None of these guys were elite prospects coming in; even Tillery was rated as an OL prospect, so as a DL 'NR'.

You construct great sounding analysis, There is nothing actual or factual: let's keep expectations in check! better they exceed expectations than not meet them.

Last edited:
only Rochelle has consistantly displayed upper level talent; 1 missed a season and 1 was not a starter yet
Everyone else is an unknown or project as of now; they need to 'prove it'!

True Bama has to replace players, as do other contenders; but they are not putting in guys who came in as projects; when one of their new starters fails it is a shocker and he is quickly replaced by another elite prospect.

The point is BS in trying to create the notion that ND has a Playoff calibre DL even before the players have played consistantly or even played as starters. None of these guys were elite prospects coming in; even Tillery was rated as an OL prospect, so as a DL 'NR'.

You construct great sounding analysis, There is nothing actual or factual: let's keep expectations in check! better they exceed expectations than not meet them.

Are you assuming Hayes was not considered a project only because he had 5 stars next to his name? Guy has played 2 games in two years.. pretty sure he's as much as a project as that one time Bama commit Kareem.

In bold, you can substitute any team in the country here in the statement is true. There is nothing actual or factual about stating that Alabama's D line recruits are ready from day 1 and playoff caliber without any developing needed. That indeed is a absolute opinion. You have no idea how Saban and staff develop these guys and if they are ready from day 1.

Quick glance at their depth charts shows 1 freshman in the 2-deep along the defensive line.. Do these non projects need development or are the guys in front of them that much better.. Fact is we don't know, so quit claiming your opinions as fact and take a break from this board, sick of the constant, consistent argument on every single thread, every single day. Sit back and read/listen once in a while. Your opinion has been heard.

well, bit testy - just before I posted, Inread the report of what sleeze bag Isaiah Crowell did!

Do people just fire from the hip on these issues, wtf, does Crowell know? Does he know how many persons well killed by cops in '15? how many were of what race? I bet he would be surprised by those stats!

Ohio St did, Michigan did not...the ND visit just moved ND aghead of Michigan

Ohio State moved in after already having Cage and Garrett plus being in on additional guys

Wrong. Michigan passed. They are focused on Tufele. Michigan insiders confirmed this quite some time ago. The coaches did not show him the love, and he does not have a committable offer.

Last edited:
it would appear the teams go 'all in' for the defensive recruits. It may be that 'education' is just not much of an incentive. It seems some schools go along for decades as also rans, then they bring in a 'snake oil' salesman for head coach; they give him autonomy to do as he pleases and they suddenly make a run at prominence!
For ND it is going to a gun fight with a diploma in hand.

Wrong. Michigan passed. They are focused on Tufele. Michigan insiders confirmed this quite some time ago. The coaches did not show him the love, and he does not have a committable offer.

"Michigan insiders" confirmed it? I guess they didn't tell that to Greg Mattison?
He is on record saying he would take Ewell if he committed.
Michigan fans act as if they are bringing in Bama talent & winning titles. They need to worry about MSU beating them year after year with 3* players.

as of now Mich. is not recruiting at playoff levels. And UM is playing for a secondary bowl; and probably so for the next 3 years. And watching Jimmy get more and more frustrated might range from entertaining to scary!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT