ADVERTISEMENT

Next 2021 Commit?

SBBorn

Irish Insider
Jul 9, 2014
Those in the know have any update on future commitments? NDFarley? Our 2021 momentum seems to have slowed. Any concerns?

Let me "spoil" the 2021 class for you:

National Signing Day 2021 ND Class Ranking: ~12.5

Reactions: GDFan
Those in the know have any update on future commitments? NDFarley? Our 2021 momentum seems to have slowed. Any concerns?

I will try to answer both.

1) ND has its first Junior day in a couple weeks. A lot of good kids will be there. ND might pick up a commitment that day.

2) It’s been the dead period so nothing really has happened in recruiting. The first day it ends ND coaches will be all over the country, including Lance Taylor visiting Will Shipley for the 6th time. I’m not worried at all because ND has 6 commits all inside the top 100, (Crippen won’t be a ND commit). They are now going into the more selective stage & just sent out a bunch of new offers. There are a few kids ND could probably get now if they wanted, but they are not pushing for them really hard.
Overall things will start really picking up soon.

My guess would be Justin Walters safety from Illinois.

No concerns. We are going to have an awesome 21 class

Another note; ND will be once again signing a small class (20-21) so pay more attention to average star rating instead of overall score. For example, currently ND’s average ranking is just under .96, and will be over that once Crippen is removed, which is the highest in the nation. If ND finishes with 20 kids & the class ranking is 12th, I don’t care, because the average star ranking could be top 5.

I will try to answer both.

1) ND has its first Junior day in a couple weeks. A lot of good kids will be there. ND might pick up a commitment that day.

2) It’s been the dead period so nothing really has happened in recruiting. The first day it ends ND coaches will be all over the country, including Lance Taylor visiting Will Shipley for the 6th time. I’m not worried at all because ND has 6 commits all inside the top 100, (Crippen won’t be a ND commit). They are now going into the more selective stage & just sent out a bunch of new offers. There are a few kids ND could probably get now if they wanted, but they are not pushing for them really hard.
Overall things will start really picking up soon.

Is this Tengwall, Spindler, Fisher a possibility or these kids just like tweeting at each other? I also noticed Taylor is going all in on Shipley. Quite a 180 from the last RB coach.

Is this Tengwall, Spindler, Fisher a possibility or these kids just like tweeting at each other? I also noticed Taylor is going all in on Shipley. Quite a 180 from the last RB coach.

It’s definitely a possibility. Fisher is very well liked & does a great job recruiting. I don’t know if it will be enough or not. Tengwall looks like PSU currently & Spindler to UM. Taylor & Shipley are close.

Not worried about that at all.
When you only sign 20, you aren’t finishing top 5. Look at the star rating, ND will be much higher than 12th.
I’m not sure. I thought the same about the 2020 class. 2020 class is awesome top end but could have used some more of the higher 4 star caliber players. I think the 2019 class had a really good amount of high 4 star players but not enough star power at the top (besides Hamilton of course).

I just hear every year how this next class will be top 5 but it’s around 12 every year. Clemson LSU, Bama, Ohio state, Oregon etc. I just don’t see a top 5 finish especially as the 2020 season starts, ND’s recruiting has stalled in that time frame recently while other teams continue the heavy lifting.

I’m not sure. I thought the same about the 2020 class. 2020 class is awesome top end but could have used some more of the higher 4 star caliber players. I think the 2019 class had a really good amount of high 4 star players but not enough star power at the top (besides Hamilton of course).

I just hear every year how this next class will be top 5 but it’s around 12 every year. Clemson LSU, Bama, Ohio state, Oregon etc. I just don’t see a top 5 finish especially as the 2020 season starts, ND’s recruiting has stalled in that time frame recently while other teams continue the heavy lifting.
The teams in the playoff have top 5 classes. Everyone keeps making this “well we only have 20” statement. I ask, why don’t we want to recruit like the playoff teams. Are we better?

Why only 20?

"Why only 20?"

Probably, based on today's numbers (not taking into account possible 5th year seniors, transfers -- the usual attrition), that is all that is available. Kelly has shown in recent years he is not shy about over signing. In the end, ND gets to its 85 by August.

Top 5 in Star ranking.
Other schools will over sign kids then process many. ND doesn’t do that. So ND’s overall class rankings won’t be as high with just 20 kids. And ND has been a top program the last three years.

The teams in the playoff have top 5 classes. Everyone keeps making this “well we only have 20” statement. I ask, why don’t we want to recruit like the playoff teams. Are we better?

Clemson’s first three CFP’s consisted of classes ranked between 12-17. They recruit better now, but was outside the top 10 for years. Other teams get top 5 classes & don’t sniff the CFP.

It's not about how many kids you sign, the rankings are skewed. If you want a true barometer for which classes/teams are doing the best look at the overall player AVERAGE, that's the indicator in terms of the level of talent you are signing.

The bottomline is that ND isn't gonna go out and sign 30 kids, probably ever. If you took ND's classes the last few years and added 4-6 random kids to it (not even highly ranked kids per se) it would enhance the overall class ranking, but wouldn't necessarily make it "a better class". They're doing fine.

It has way more to do with what position groups you are signing the 5*, and upper 4* players than the number. The skill positions are important (QB, RB, WR), look at Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, they all have elite skill position players.

Reactions: sawfish1
It's not about how many kids you sign, the rankings are skewed. If you want a true barometer for which classes/teams are doing the best look at the overall player AVERAGE, that's the indicator in terms of the level of talent you are signing.

The bottomline is that ND isn't gonna go out and sign 30 kids, probably ever. If you took ND's classes the last few years and added 4-6 random kids to it (not even highly ranked kids per se) it would enhance the overall class ranking, but wouldn't necessarily make it "a better class". They're doing fine.

It has way more to do with what position groups you are signing the 5*, and upper 4* players than the number. The skill positions are important (QB, RB, WR), look at Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, they all have elite skill position players.
Literally every fanbase says this. Truth is if 5 more 5* kids wanted to sign with ND or any given school they would find a way to make it happen.

Clemson’s first three CFP’s consisted of classes ranked between 12-17. They recruit better now, but was outside the top 10 for years. Other teams get top 5 classes & don’t sniff the CFP.
Then why the huge gap between Clemson’s success and ND’s? It either has to be coaching or top end talent.

I get it but again. Look at the top 5 recruiting schools. They’re all the top 5 best teams. Facts are facts.

I hope ND doesn't slow play some really talented players They got burned for doing that before. In the end I see 22-23 recruits.
Numbers are never as big as a problem as fans think. If all of Clemson’s 5 stars wanted to flip to ND on national signing day ND would make it happen.

Numbers are never as big as a problem as fans think. If all of Clemson’s 5 stars wanted to flip to ND on national signing day ND would make it happen.

False.

The football staff at ND doesn’t have the final say in removing scholarships from student athletes. If ND is over they can’t just process kids like other schools. ND has 90 on the books now. They have to be at 85 by opening weekend. They graduate 17 next year. You do the math...

False.

The football staff at ND doesn’t have the final say in removing scholarships from student athletes. If ND is over they can’t just process kids like other schools. ND has 90 on the books now. They have to be at 85 by opening weekend. They graduate 17 next year. You do the math...
There will always be transfers and early declarations. You’re telling me if bryan bresee, Justin flowe, julian Fleming, and Paris johnson all by an act of god wanted to flip to ND on signing day ND would say no?

All this jargon is fine, however you still win with the five star guys and Notre Dame just doesn't get enough of them for whatever reasons. Maybe as said in another thread if the $$$$$$ started coming down more emphasis would be made on having a title contender as in the past.

All this jargon is fine, however you still win with the five star guys and Notre Dame just doesn't get enough of them for whatever reasons. Maybe as said in another thread if the $$$$$$ started coming down more emphasis would be made on having a title contender as in the past.

How many did the Heisman Trophy winner have ?

I get it but again. Look at the top 5 recruiting schools. They’re all the top 5 best teams. Facts are facts.

Do you follow recruiting? Apparently not.

2019:
1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. Texas
4. Texas A&M
5. LSU

2018:
1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. USC
5. Bama

2017:
1. Bama
2. Ohio State
3. Georgia
4. USC
5. Michigan

2016:
1. Bama
2. LSU
3. Fla State
4. Ohio State
5. Ole Miss

Tell me how those are the 5 best teams again? Clemson didn't even make the Top 5, and I'd say they're pretty good. Maybe a little? This is according to the 247 Composite, which is compiled of the 3 biggest recruiting services in the country.

Reactions: Irishlutheran
just been noticing that a lot of offers have gone out recently to a lot of 2021 kids and more so to a lot of DEs. also great to be reading that coach Kelly has been and still is on the road recruiting hard which he didn't seem to do too much of in the past. maybe he is hearing from recruits that they want him more involved and not just the other coaches on the staff

Reactions: jcswoopnh
My guess would be Justin Walters safety from Illinois.

No concerns. We are going to have an awesome 21 class
Pretty sure hes going to take his visits. I say this every year and it never fails to let me down. Next commit will be a new offer during Junior day or a camp.

Clemson looking like it’s getting two top Ca. Prospects. Beaux Collins and Korey Forman (top 5 in class!)
Courtesy of Clay Helton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT