ADVERTISEMENT

ND vs UC Game Day Thread

We've beaten talented USC teams many times, and Michigan, Michigan State, etc. But I wouldn't call Cincinnati "equal or better talent." More like inferior talent. But they have a very good QB, which can be a difference-maker.
Our patchwork of starters and 3rd stringers is about equal to the Bearcats first string.

This team will be tough the last 6 games. Let’s see how it rides.

ND now has no clear number one QB. That alone will be an issue the rest of the year. Two things come to mind why ND is in this position.

1) poor recruiting ( yes their recruiting is average at best)

2) lack of player development (coaching is average as well )

I still blame the 3 turnovers in the first half more than anything. You can't turn the ball over 3 times in the first half against a good team (leading to a 17-0 deficit). You have to take care of the ball.

Then Pyne led a good comeback attempt, but it was too little, too late.

I know I’m just venting. But can we once and for all put to rest that Kelly is an elite coach.
Kelly is a top 5 - 10 coach in CFB. ND simply cannot recruit to the level of the elite programs. If you think anyone else could, you kidding yourself

Reactions: NDTitan
BK is a good GM in my opinion more then a coach. He’s done a nice job making ND relevant after years of languishing in mediocrity but we just can’t take the next step.

He has done a terrible job with the QB’s, I think every single second or third year starter has regressed statistically under BK. We don’t recruit the position particularly well either, and I can’t understand why when you realized ND has had recent success winning and are a prime time draw.

It makes me think prolific QB recruits just don’t think BK will continue their development, don’t know🤷🏼‍♂️

I think it may be time to bench Coan going forward. Its unfortunate for him as he hasn't really played that badly.
The coaches need to decide whether to go with Drew who may give the Irish the best chance to win this season, or use the season to develop Buchner.

Kelly is a top 5 - 10 coach in CFB. ND simply cannot recruit to the level of the elite programs. If you think anyone else could, you kidding yourself
Would you like to compare position by position ranking of UC compared to ND? Let's just say ND out classes them in almost every position. Especially the OL. I do think Kelly is a good coach, but he screwed the pooch on Rees/Quinn/Alexander. We need to go out, spend the money (obviously not this year) and get an experience OC and wipe that slate clean.

ND is not last years team. All the Book haters, not you know. He was the O. Book wins that game. This team needs the next class. Let just win out an reset for 22

One positive can be drawn from this, ticket prices are already down. I just looked at vivid and tickets for the USC game can now be bought for under 80, last week they were near 100. UNC tickets are now in the 50’s, and GT tickets are in the 40’s.

If you want to go watch our QBs chases around for four quarters.

ND is not last years team. All the Book haters, not you know. He was the O. Book wins that game. This team needs the next class. Let just win out an reset for 22
I'm not sure how Book would do with this OL. We have very good pass pro last year and he still had happy feet. I think he would be better than Coan, but I think he would have worse numbers than last year.

Book does not win this game either. O-line and defense does. Starting the correct QB might help as well. And BTW, deny BK and his buddy system from getting jobs at ND football.

BK is a good GM in my opinion more then a coach. He’s done a nice job making ND relevant after years of languishing in mediocrity but we just can’t take the next step.

He has done a terrible job with the QB’s, I think every single second or third year starter has regressed statistically under BK. We don’t recruit the position particularly well either, and I can’t understand why when you realized ND has had recent success winning and are a prime time draw.

It makes me think prolific QB recruits just don’t think BK will continue their development, don’t know🤷🏼‍♂️
Hey Jurkovic bailed because he didn't want to compete. Had he stayed he'd be the starter and Coan wouldn't even be here. Is that Kelly's fault? I don't think so, because Book gave us the best chance to win. ND simply cannot recruit enough elite players, irrespective of who the coach is. For me, being and old alum, it pains me to say this but I believe we'd recruit better if we were in a conference. These 18 - 22 year old kids have no connection to our prior greatness as a program, kids want to compete for championships, and this notion that our goal is to compete for national titles is pure BS. Our independence hurts us, along with many other factors, of course academic expectations being one of the constants. What does Alabama, UGA, OK, Clemson have over us every year ... 5* recruits, what do we have, maybe 1 or 2.

Given Kelly’s track record, ‘22 has 2 losses on the schedule, at tOSU and Clemson. Now if your standard is 10 win seasons you’ll be happy, if it’s cfp and/or championship, you’ll be disappointed.
I’ve come to terms with this. Kelly will not win a championship, so I’m ok with 10 win seasons until he steps down.

Given Kelly’s track record, ‘22 has 2 losses on the schedule, at tOSU and Clemson. Now if your standard is 10 win seasons you’ll be happy, if it’s cfp and/or championship, you’ll be disappointed.
I’ve come to terms with this. Kelly will not win a championship, so I’m ok with 10 win seasons until he steps down.
Are you drunk? You're ok with mediocrity? BK can't win big games. That has been apparent since his presence on campus.

ND is as far as they can get under Kelly. He’s a top ten coach not top five. He’s done a good job. But to lose at home to a team they should have beaten is inexcusable 12 years in. I’m sorry but they can do better. They should be able to recruit better and coach better. I’m not buying they can’t get elite talent. If there is one position they should recruit well every year it’s the QB position. It’s an embarrassment they can’t get a top 5 QB. Kelly has never had a stud QB. The difference in this game was lack of good QB play from ND, turnovers and Cincy having a difference make in Ridder. Feel free to disagree. It’s all good.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Are you drunk? You're ok with mediocrity? BK can't win big games. That has been apparent since his presence on campus.
I’ve accepted the fact that Kelly will be the coach until he decides to step down. If this is the case, I want him to keep winning 10+ games until he steps down leaving the program desirable for a future elite coach to come in and take the program to the next level whoever that might be.

Now that I have had a few losses to decompress and make peace with it, I have to admit, the loss does not bother me that much...

We knew going in that we were flawed in several areas and those weaknesses got exposed...

Only thing we can do now is learn, move on, and be better the rest of the way!

What does concern me though is the affect yesterday's turkey is going to have on recruiting...

We had so many of our #1 choices taking their official visits; it just was a really inopportune time to lose.

Yes our offense gave them points but they also missed two chip shots fgs …. Our D gave up over 400 yards … pathetic
You’re a sad troll. Are you really an ND fan? Once again junior, the D was not the problem, it’s the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT