ADVERTISEMENT

ND vs Schedule

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
1. OSU win:
Yes, would be a huge upset. Yes, ND should be the underdog,
Then why and how do I ND winning?
You win big games and a team is only as good as their interior play. The ND Oline/Dline will carry this team.
ND will rush for 150 plus yards and win by 7-10 points.

2. Marshall: Win
Just to talented

3. Cal: Win
Talent

4. UNC: Win

5. BYU: Win

Hard fought game that will stay close to the 4th quarter. This will be the game that will have this message board filled with I knew Freeman was overwhelmed, We look terrible and I blame the coach. But in the end ND pulls it off.

6-8. Stanford, UNLV, Cuse WIN
Talent

9. Clemson: Win

Very close game. TB will have the game of his life. ND wins by less than a TD.

10-11 Navy and BC: Win
I know some will say BC will play them close. However, ND has to much talent on online/dline. ND will be to physical for BC to even keep it close.

12. SC: Win:
ND will face the second best QB they have played this season. SC will be a top 7-10 team at this point. They will already have one upset win (Utah). Could be a top 5 team at this point. ND comes from behind and wins a classic.

Yup, 12-0!
I have a lot of confidence in the interior play.
Playoff win????

We will see!

1. OSU win:
You win big games and a team is only as good as their interior play. The ND Oline/Dline will carry this team.

Just to talented

Talent

Hard fought game that will stay close to the 4th quarter. This will be the game that will have this message board filled with I knew Freeman was overwhelmed, We look terrible and I blame the coach. But in the end ND pulls it off.

Talent

I know some will say BC will play them close. However, ND has to much talent on online/dline. ND will be to physical for BC to even keep it close.

ND will face the second best QB they have played this season. SC will be a top 7-10 team at this point. They will already have one upset win (Utah). Could be a top 5 team at this point. ND comes from behind and wins a classic.

Yup, 12-0!
Playoff win????

We will see!
I think OSU is a loss, their QB is one of the two best in the nation, best WR group in nation, and very good OL, at OSU @ night.

I also think a trap game is BYU, people sleeping on that game. BYU is very good and returns a ton of their two deep.

1. OSU win:

Just to talented

Talent

Talent

Yup, 12-0!
Playoff win????

We will see!
Very Very Very doubtful

I think OSU is a loss, their QB is one of the two best in the nation, best WR group in nation, and very good OL, at OSU @ night.

I also think a trap game is BYU, people sleeping on that game. BYU is very good and returns a ton of their two deep.
Having the best QB in the nation does not equal unbeatable, ask Georgia and Bama.

Does Notre Dame have a really good Oline and Dline???

Does Notre Dame have the top 1-2 TEs in the country?

Does Notre Dame have a very good 1st and 2nd RB?

Does Notre Dame have a deep threat at WR? Yup #21

My point, we all know what OSU has. However, don’t act like ND does not have NFL talent.

I will agree ND is and should be the underdog. However, anyone predicting a blowout, please, check back at halftime and let’s compare notes.

Reactions: tbone3114

OSU has 1 returning WR

Correct! Jaxon Smith-Njigba is only returning WR.

Fleming is pretty good though. He played well vs Utah in bowl game.
OSU has 1 returning WR
If you think Ohio State and Notre Dame have the same type of wide receiver depth, you’re just not being honest with yourself. Ohio State has incredible wide receiver talent on that roster. I think Marvin Harrison Junior had three touchdown catches in the Rose Bowl. Then you have Egbuka, and Fleming to go along with JSN.

Having the best QB in the nation does not equal unbeatable, ask Georgia and Bama.

My point, we all know what OSU has. However, don’t act like ND does not have NFL talent.

I will agree ND is and should be the underdog. However, anyone predicting a blowout, please, check back at halftime and let’s compare notes.
Bro, who said Notre Dame doesn’t have talent or some elite players? It certainly wasn’t for me.

Additionally, you also state that having the best quarterback doesn’t make you unbeatable. No kidding, I never said it did but it sure as s**t helps. That Georgia defense was one of the all-time greats in college football last year.

Of course anything can happen, but the likelihood of it happening are two different things. Do I want Notre Dame to win, yes. Do I hope Notre Dame wins, yes. Do I think Notre Dame will win, no. I like to think that I am a great supporter of Notre Dame football but also able to be an objective follower of CFB in general.

I hate Ohio State football more than any other program, but their damn good, and that’s just the facts.

Bro, who said Notre Dame doesn’t have talent or some elite players? It certainly wasn’t for me.

Additionally, you also state that having the best quarterback doesn’t make you unbeatable. No kidding, I never said it did but it sure as s**t helps. That Georgia defense was one of the all-time greats in college football last year.

Of course anything can happen, but the likelihood of it happening are two different things. Do I want Notre Dame to win, yes. Do I hope Notre Dame wins, yes. Do I think Notre Dame will win, no. I like to think that I am a great supporter of Notre Dame football but also able to be an objective follower of CFB in general.

I hate Ohio State football more than any other program, but their damn good, and that’s just the facts.
Fleming is their number 4 probably. They have 2 other studs in Harrison and Emeka in front of him
I was going off this depth chart

You named the OSU QB and the WR depth as 2 reasons why they will beat ND.

Yup, OSU has a NFL QB and ND has a NFL dline that will not allow him to just sit in the pocket and have his way.

If you think Ohio State and Notre Dame have the same type of wide receiver depth, you’re just not being honest with yourself. Ohio State has incredible wide receiver talent on that roster. I think Marvin Harrison Junior had three touchdown catches in the Rose Bowl. Then you have Egbuka, and Fleming to go along with JSN.
Yes, OSU has a NFL QB

Yes, OSU has a NFL WR room

Yes, OSU has a NFL RB

Yes, the game is on the road

Are they beatable???? Of course they are.

I have punted out numerous times that OSU has issues at LB. ND will be able to run the ball on this team. That is how you keep this high powered offense off the field.

No one is denying the talent OSU has. However, they are beatable.

now do it if you are a tOSU fan, a Clemson fan, a USC fan?

and

what key injuries might significantly alter your predictions?

now do it if you are a tOSU fan, a Clemson fan, a USC fan?

and

what key injuries might significantly alter your predictions?
Yes, I have ND glasses on. However, this ND team 100% has a legitimate chance of beating OSU.

Why? The ND Oline/Dline will be very good.

Yes, OSU has a NFL QB

Yes, OSU has a NFL RB

I have punted out numerous times that OSU has issues at LB. ND will be able to run the ball on this team. That is how you keep this high powered offense off the field.

Bodi,
you posting under an alias now?

Here's the real problem(s) with the OSU game.
#1... Buchner
His game experience isn't much and he's cutting his teeth at the horseshoe in the twilight? Good luck with that.
He will be tough to defend with the running but...
can he stay healthy? Unknown! Can he pass accurately?Unknown!
Will he attempt down the field chunk plays? Unknown but equally to do with Tommy Rees.
Will he complete any? Big unknown!
#2 the secondary. Yes our secondary is/was/not very good.
As a collective unit we've been extremely piss poor in the secondary.
Even with a good Dline we haven't had a secondary to match.

I believe Golden will help with this tremendously but OSU @ home with top shelf receivers in game 1 will be tough.
OSU's bottom WR on the depth chart would probably be our #1

The OL...
Everyone raves about Heistand but not yours truly. I'm not going to say he's bad...matter of fact he's good at individual coaching. The line working together is a different story.

Notice if you will all of ND's biggest games with Heistand coaching the line.
Our rushing stats are absolutely abysmal.
Destroying weaker opponents says nothing. We're just more talented. Trench work against a top defensive front seven is making a statement in either direction.
Again looking at our rushing stats against the very best is nothing to write home about. Matter of fact it's a lot of 2 yard averages.

Can some of that be attributed to Brian Kelly's offensive scheme? Sure.

We'll find out a lot to the above questions in 15 short days.

Yes, OSU has a NFL QB

Yes, OSU has a NFL RB

What makes you so confident ND can run on OSU? ND did not have as strong of a rushing attack as Minnesota or Utah or Michigan had last year. In fact they were mediocre at 143 ypg rushing, good for 79th in all of FBS, Ohio State rushed for 180 ypg, which was good for 44th in FBS if you were wondering. Ohio State's rushing defense gave up 127 ypg last year, good enough for 24th in the FBS, while Notre Dame gave up 135 ypg, good enough for 31st in FBS.

Our run defense (last year) is not as bad as you make it out to be, and Notre Dame's rushing attack is not as good (not even close) as the best we faced last year.

What makes you so confident ND can run on OSU? ND did not have as strong of a rushing attack as Minnesota or Utah or Michigan had last year. In fact they were mediocre at 143 ypg rushing, good for 79th in all of FBS, Ohio State rushed for 180 ypg, which was good for 44th in FBS if you were wondering. Ohio State's rushing defense gave up 127 ypg last year, good enough for 24th in the FBS, while Notre Dame gave up 135 ypg, good enough for 31st in FBS.

Our run defense (last year) is not as bad as you make it out to be, and Notre Dame's rushing attack is not as good (not even close) as the best we faced last year.
In fairness, OSU gave up less rushing yardage because their offense scored so many points that other teams had to throw the ball significantly more. Also, ND’s OL performed substantially better after game five or six I believe. They were putrid coming out of the gate.

I dont think we'll put up crazy run numbers but we will run well on you

Because 1. Our OL is going to be really good. 2. Buchner will cause problems for your defense in the run game.

In fairness, OSU gave up less rushing yardage because their offense scored so many points that other teams had to throw the ball significantly more. Also, ND’s OL performed substantially better after game five or six I believe. They were putrid coming out of the gate.
Ohio State's opponents averaged 34.5 rushing attempts per game, Notre Dame's opponents averaged 35.1 rushing attempts per game, so it's virtually even. Both teams played in 13 games last season, so that comes out to Notre Dame seeing 8 more rushes on the year.

I dont think we'll put up crazy run numbers but we will run well on you

Because 1. Our OL is going to be really good. 2. Buchner will cause problems for your defense in the run game.
Your OL may be good (it wasn't amazing last year), but you're also going up against a really good and really deep DL. If your QB is no threat passing the ball, that's just going to force the defense to stack the box. It's strength on strength there.

Your OL may be good (it wasn't amazing last year), but you're also going up against a really good and really deep DL. If your QB is no threat passing the ball, that's just going to force the defense to stack the box. It's strength on strength there.
He is a threat throwing the ball. But he is going to stress you in the run game that opens up his pass game

Your DL wasnt good last year but ai expect them to be better this year.

Just like our OL. Theres a lot of talent on both lines so I expect both to be better. I'm more confident in ours because we got a huge upgrade in our coaching as you'll have the same guy.

What makes you think The OSU run defense will be better? If you say it’s because you fired all your defensive coaches and found a savior from the B12 then I will say the same thing.

Coach Harry Hiestand​

He is a very good Oline coach that has shown he can develop NFL talent at Notre Dame. He did once and Harry will do it again.

In my opinion, the key to ND running the ball against OSU is TB throwing the ball effectively early. Being able to run the ball well and consistently is devastating to opponents in today's game. But, unless you take a team's heart over time, or unless they are expecting the pass based on past tendencies, that is awfully hard to do. I like our chances to play a good game, but if we start with an off tackle, I will be concerned that we brought the wrong attitude.

In my opinion, the key to ND running the ball against OSU is TB throwing the ball effectively early. Being able to run the ball well and consistently is devastating to opponents in today's game. But, unless you take a team's heart over time, or unless they are expecting the pass based on past tendencies, that is awfully hard to do. I like our chances to play a good game, but if we start with an off tackle, I will be concerned that we brought the wrong attitude.
I understand your points.

However, ND can run to open the pass game. Remember, TB can run and run well. That has to be an added weapon.

If ND comes out and plans on throwing the ball 40 times then ND will have problems.

What makes you think The OSU run defense will be better? If you say it’s because you fired all your defensive coaches and found a savior from the B12 then I will say the same thing.

Coach Harry Hiestand​

He is a very good Oline coach that has shown he can develop NFL talent at Notre Dame. He did once and Harry will do it again.
You should really look into what Oklahoma States defense was last year and how coach Knowles turned it around (and Dukes defense).

You can't discredit our hiring of a new DC while at the same time praise your newly hired OL coach

Reactions: Rionegro
You should really look into what Oklahoma States defense was last year and how coach Knowles turned it around (and Dukes defense).

You can't discredit our hiring of a new DC while at the same time praise your newly hired OL coach
I agree with you.

But can you tell us how he did in his first year at Ok State?

I agree with you.

But can you tell us how he did in his first year at Ok State?
It's not really a fair comparison. The caliber of athletes is not the same, so naturally it's going to take even more longer to become a dominant group. The whole process can be expedited if you're working with more talented players. And it also helps OSU that their team is filled with experience and leadership this year, something they did not have a year ago.

It's not really a fair comparison. The caliber of athletes is not the same, so naturally it's going to take even more longer to become a dominant group. The whole process can be expedited if you're working with more talented players. And it also helps OSU that their team is filled with experience and leadership this year, something they did not have a year ago.
His defense got worse his first year from the previous season at OSU and at Duke

There's something to that you'd have to think

I don't know what it means that ND's new DL coach just got fired by tOSU, after you guys cleaned house because the defense just wasn't cutting it for a program with very serious ambitions and expectations to be annual playoff contenders.... But Harry Heistand, for morbid reasons that we won't go into, is treated like a GOD by ND fans, when the rest of the football universe considers him little more than a respectable journeyman position coach. And HH's decidedly unexceptional previous tenure at ND does not underpin such, shall we say, overweening confidence that our OL is going to be some dominant steam-rolling juggernaut of a unit.

ND's probably going to lose this game. On paper they definitely should. It's cut and dried, and is presumably why we're fifteen point underdogs. Mainly I'm just hoping that Tyler Buchner is ready to be the starting QB, and that his coaches are ready with a rock-solid plan to see to his development as a pass-first QB. Dual-threat, but pass-first.....

As far as Knowles goes, I was under the impression that he was pretty much the top DC of the moment, that everyone wanted to hire. In any case this will be his second consecutive game going up against ND and Tommy Rees, which is a little subplot to this huge Week One showdown....

1. You have no idea how improved your defense will be. I have said for months now that the OSU LBs have major issues.

2. You wanna talk about the Oklahoma St defense from last year??? How about the other bad to average years they had when your savior was the DC? But I know you only wanna go back 1 season to get stats. I looked up 2018, 19, 20. Not good buddy.

3. You asked the question why do I think the ND Oline/run game will be improved from last year. I used your hope and dreams. Plus, Harry has coached at ND and we have seen great results. Your savior is fresh from the B12 where no one plays defense.

Oh and I can't wait for old boy to take over at RB. I can't think of his name... Audric Estime! Didn't even have to google it.

He's got to deliver for us. He's the bellcow. If he can become a thousand yard back, ND can do some damage.....

I don't know what it means that ND's new DL coach just got fired by tOSU, after you guys cleaned house because the defense just wasn't cutting it for a program with very serious ambitions and expectations to be annual playoff contenders.... But Harry Heistand, for morbid reasons that we won't go into, is treated like a GOD by ND fans, when the rest of the football universe considers him little more than a respectable journeyman position coach. And HH's decidedly unexceptional previous tenure at ND does not underpin such, shall we say, overweening confidence that our OL is going to be some dominant steam-rolling juggernaut of a unit.

ND's probably going to lose this game. On paper they definitely should. It's cut and dried, and is presumably why we're fifteen point underdogs. Mainly I'm just hoping that Tyler Buchner is ready to be the starting QB, and that his coaches are ready with a rock-solid plan to see to his development as a pass-first QB. Dual-threat, but pass-first.....

As far as Knowles goes, I was under the impression that he was pretty much the top DC of the moment, that everyone wanted to hire. In any case this will be his second consecutive game going up against ND and Tommy Rees, which is a little subplot to this huge Week One showdown....
What a dope

I watched Buchners 30 minute highlight tape from last season on YouTube, he's definitely a very athletic QB. I question how much of a passer he is going into his second year after I believe missing the spring or parts of the spring. I think he'll need to pass a lot and not just run RPO's if he's going to lead ND to victory.

Knowles was highly sought after by a few programs I believe. I know Billy Napier at Florida was trying to bring him over. He did not coach in the Fiesta Bowl however, in early-mid December he unofficially left Oklahoma State and was preparing to go to Ohio State, thus not involved in game planning for the bowl game or calling it.

I think Knowles vs Rees will be interesting. Knowles talks a lot about the chess match between him and opposing coordinators. Says a big part of his game plan is to disrupt what OC's try to do. That could be a big advantage he has over a young OC/HC, time will tell

1. You have no idea how improved your defense will be. I have said for months now that the OSU LBs have major issues.

2. You wanna talk about the Oklahoma St defense from last year??? How about the other bad to average years they had when your savior was the DC? But I know you only wanna go back 1 season to get stats. I looked up 2018, 19, 20. Not good buddy.

3. You asked the question why do I think the ND Oline/run game will be improved from last year. I used your hope and dreams. Plus, Harry has coached at ND and we have seen great results. Your savior is fresh from the B12 where no one plays defense.
Some of the better defenses in the Big 12 ranked in the top 50, so you're wrong there buddy. You aren't doing your homework if you're going to discredit Jim Knowles just because he coached in the Big 12. I mean he coached there and was able to hold a lot of those high powered offenses well below their averages, that is impressive. Now he's at Ohio State with much more talent than he's ever had to work with. 15 more days

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT