ADVERTISEMENT

Kizer's thoughts...

irishsportsfan

ND Expert
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2011
Dayton, OH
http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt...F-A8-27-D5170411_202835NotreDameFightingIrish

Very mature response from the young man. And I believe them to be accurate, and not some PR move to better his positioning in the draft. Seems as if the Kizer / Kelly relationship isn't all fire vs fire after all. Seems like a candid response in an interview.

Props to Kizer and Kelly for answering with truths instead of pumping sunshine.

http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/Kizer-Kellys-comments-on-preparedness-true-52262613?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=170411_202835_Notre Dame Fighting Irish&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=22-BE-AD-57-85-1A-E5-FF-3A-2B-40-0B-AF-A8-27-D5170411_202835NotreDameFightingIrish

Very mature response from the young man. And I believe them to be accurate, and not some PR move to better his positioning in the draft. Seems as if the Kizer / Kelly relationship isn't all fire vs fire after all. Seems like a candid response in an interview.

Draft day will settle any lingering questions about his decision.

Every national sports talkshow and reporter ripped Kelly to shreads for his comments on Kizer turning pro and every coach out there will use those comments against ND in recruiting. Son when you turn pro in two years is this what you want to hear from your coach after you have declared for the draft? This is why ND doesnt get 5 star recruits and one of many reasons Kelly needs to go.

Every national sports talkshow and reporter ripped Kelly to shreads for his comments on Kizer turning pro and every coach out there will use those comments against ND in recruiting. Son when you turn pro in two years is this what you want to hear from your coach after you have declared for the draft? This is why ND doesnt get 5 star recruits and one of many reasons Kelly needs to go.
Who is among the top of the 18 recruiting rankings? ND
Your dopiness never disappoints.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Kizer handled the matter with class. He never should have had to deal with the issue.
There is a successor QB at ND. Why the need for some to denegrade Kizer?
Pike, Collaros
Crist, Rees, Golson, Zaire, Kizer.

And based upon past QB's at ND/UC there really is no indication that further ND coaching was going to be a positive impact on his growth. Sanford was gone. The new QB coach is a 'rookie'. Kelly? ? ? ?
The whole world knew/knows Kizer is a talent but he is a work in progress.
DK will be in the NFL next Sept.

Last edited:

Not every national sports talking head ripped BK. Some didn't. Some did. I heard some praise BK for speaking his mind instead of talking PC. Most sports media carry no weight in my world anyway. How many blasting BK have ever set foot on campus? How many have ever actually interviewed BK? How many know anything about ND football other than what's reported on "College Football Live"? Is there fact based evidence that five stars don't come because BK speaks what is on his mind? Somebody tell Saban to be nicer to his recruits or the five stars may not come. BK has done and said some things over the years that were not in his or the programs best interest, but the DK comments was not one of them.

Reactions: Kelso86 and Telx1
Dumb post.

Reactions: Pennick44

Calling a post dumb without any further comment or supporting idea? Well that's ....
And it is a forum rules rules violation:
"Rule: No personal attacks on anybody; fellow posters, ...."

Calling a post dumb without any further comment or supporting idea? Well that's ....
You personally attack Coach Kelly every chance you get.

Complete bullshit.

Reactions: Kelso86
Dumb posts need no further explanation. The words speak for themselves. It's the tired, worn out, cumbersome negative debate over and over. Same comments. Same contributors. Nothing fresh. Nothing new. If anyone expects a detailed counterpoint on why a post is dumb, post something new. At least that will be a fresh dumb post and not the stale kind that we all have grown accustomed to.

Reactions: TXNDFan88 and Telx1

no, you're incorrect. Regardless of whether youagree or disagree, the forum rules are the same.

The OP was bringing up a recent comment by DK. DK only had to reply on the point only because it was 1st put out by his former head coach. There are 2 camps: one thinks that Kelly would have been supportive by answering in a supportive way, one that would have promoted his former player. The other side, the side that says Kelly can do no wrong, considers trashing a player a good strategy, to alleviate some of the blame for the '16 disaster.

No matter your opinion, you are not entitled to attack nor be rude towards another poster.

Reactions: Buguit
http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/Kizer-Kellys-comments-on-preparedness-true-52262613?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=170411_202835_Notre Dame Fighting Irish&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=22-BE-AD-57-85-1A-E5-FF-3A-2B-40-0B-AF-A8-27-D5170411_202835NotreDameFightingIrish

It was an impressive read. Kizer is clearly focused on tomorrow, not yesterday. The whole narrative of BK throwing Kizer under the bus with his comments never looked compelling to me. BK's comments were just simple truth. Kizer knows he has a way to go but has a lot of ability.

Reactions: irishsportsfan
no, you're incorrect. Regardless of whether youagree or disagree, the forum rules are the same.

The OP was bringing up a recent comment by DK. DK only had to reply on the point only because it was 1st put out by his former head coach. There are 2 camps: one thinks that Kelly would have been supportive by answering in a supportive way, one that would have promoted his former player. The other side, the side that says Kelly can do no wrong, considers trashing a player a good strategy, to alleviate some of the blame for the '16 disaster.

No matter your opinion, you are not entitled to attack nor be rude towards another poster.

We all know you are an idiot, but who the hell are you to think Kelly was trashing his former QB? Kizer didn't see it that way.https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...n-kellys-radio-comments-took-truth/100350174/

prior to the draft this is how Urban Meyer answered questions about Tebow:
"...“I hope he goes to the right place,” Meyer said. “I get very concerned about that. There’s no doubt in my mind that he can play quarterback in the N.F.L.”

Meyer knew Tebow's flaws. But he stood up and supported his guy.

Reactions: Buguit
Kelly gave his honest opinion and assessment that Kizer would have benefitted from another year of college ball. Those finding fault with this are mostly folks with an anti Kelly or anti ND bias to begin with. Personally, I prefer an honest opinion versus typical rah rah coach speak that everyone knows is BS. I think Kizer's response was excellent and equally honest, and reveals a great deal of respect for Kelly and his demanding coaching style. This whole so called controversy was largely a media fed purposeful negative narrative.

It's my perception that Deshone Kizer is in love with himself.
Seriously,WTF do I know though.

I think Kizer did a good job at Notre Dame but I feel that I'm sure he rubbed a few upperclassmen the wrong way.
Again, just my perception from watching the Showtime show. He was referring to himself in the 3rd person after like 2-3 games in 2015.

That being said, I will always root for Kizer but I've completely moved on.

I am super excited to see Brandon Wimbush.
I listened to him give a six minute interview with UND and was floored by his maturity.
The kid is a star in the making.
Super articulate- humble but confident.
I knew he had the physical skills but hearing him give interviews makes me even more confident.
I know why people gush over this kid.
I was more impressed with his interview than his cannon arm or speed. I don't think this kid will fall in love with himself like Kizer either.
Makes me want to throw a little change on him at
60/1 for the heisman.

prior to the draft this is how Urban Meyer answered questions about Tebow:
"...“I hope he goes to the right place,” Meyer said. “I get very concerned about that. There’s no doubt in my mind that he can play quarterback in the N.F.L.”

Meyer knew Tebow's flaws. But he stood up and supported his guy.

So.....Urban lied to the media. Either that or his judgement is lacking when it comes to the NFL QB position. Which is it? "Attacking" a dumb post is not attacking the person who made the comments. If someone is going to throw out personal commentary without facts to back it then those comments need to be called out. If those someones make the same negative comments over and over, then they become attention getters and non contributors. If someone supports someone who makes the same negative commentary over and over, then they have become attention getters and non contributors once removed. At least come up with new negative material.

so Kelly trashing his former QB, just prior to the kids draft sits fine with some who then call Kelly critics 'haters'. The only reason anyone responded to the Kelly's comments is because he 1st made the comments.

Critical comment directed toward DK is fine but critical comment directed toward Kelly is deemed 'haters'. Hypocricy.

DK was not going to benefit from another year under Kelly. History has shown that QB's do not progress under Kelly. DK made the correct career and financial decision.

Kelly 'gets' another year.

so Kelly trashing his former QB, just prior to the kids draft sits fine with some who then call Kelly critics 'haters'. The only reason anyone responded to the Kelly's comments is because he 1st made the comments.

Critical comment directed toward DK is fine but critical comment directed toward Kelly is deemed 'haters'. Hypocricy.

DK was not going to benefit from another year under Kelly. History has shown that QB's do not progress under Kelly. DK made the correct career and financial decision.

Why do you insist that Kelly trashed Kizer? Nothing could be further from the truth. You are nothing but a hater.

Why do you insist that Kelly trashed Kizer? Nothing could be further from the truth. You are nothing but a hater.

and then that would make you, hypocrite?

I guess you are separating long time ND fans from those 'just' Kelly fans.

Last edited:

No trashing whatsoever. Get a grip.

Given all the wonderful QB's Kelly has developed, naturally you would defer to his assessment. If there is something to be disappointed in, it was the development of Kizer. He was clearly one of the more gifted, in skill sets, of any ND QB in many years. Truly a shame. In addition, if there was anything that was universally acknowledged, by all who worked out and interviewed this years college QBs, Kizer stood out in maturity and understanding of his limitations and short comings from this past season. My suspicion is he will be a very capable and successful QB at the pro level, unlike all the others who have waltzed through Kelly's carousel of greatness.

^^^^ Kizer has to wonder, what if MZ does not get injured? Would DK would be a Sr. backup to MZ in '17? and a 5th year backup to Wimbush? Thinks might have been very different for him. Carpe Diem.

^^^^ Kizer has to wonder, what if MZ does not get injured? Would DK would be a Sr. backup to MZ in '17? and a 5th year backup to Wimbush? Thinks might have been very different for him. Carpe Diem.

IMO, Kizer doesn't seem like a kid that spends a lot of time fantasizing about how things might have gone wrong for him based on a series of "what if's" about things that happened in the past that opened the doors of opportunity. That's self-defeating thinking, which is NOT one of Kizer's tendencies.

If Kizer was playing the "what if" game, I would think he would have looked to the future. And when Kizer declared for the draft, it looked like Kelly might not even be around to teach him for another season. Its tough expect a kid to seriously consider spending another year developing his skills under a coach that is publicly exploring his personal plan b options.

If you want a reason you can try to use to pin Kizer's departure on Kelly, I'd look at the bulls-eye Kelly painted on himself.

I have not 'pinned' Kizer's decision on Kelly.
I think he made the correct decision based upon all factors: career, financial and personal.
Kelly was just a single factor/consideration in the decision process.

I have not 'pinned' Kizer's decision on Kelly.
I think he made the correct decision based upon all factors: career, financial and personal.
Kelly was just a single factor/consideration in the decision process.

Thanks for clarifying. Your posts are difficult to decipher at times.

Reactions: NIN Irish
^^^ That said, I think Kizer would have benefited from another season of game action. He still needs development, which is why those in his camp need to emphasize his potential upside. And though you don't, I do blame Kelly's public pursuit of his own bailout options for turning a commitment to another season into a risk for Kizer.

Reactions: Nocalirish
Given all the wonderful QB's Kelly has developed, naturally you would defer to his assessment. If there is something to be disappointed in, it was the development of Kizer. He was clearly one of the more gifted, in skill sets, of any ND QB in many years. Truly a shame. In addition, if there was anything that was universally acknowledged, by all who worked out and interviewed this years college QBs, Kizer stood out in maturity and understanding of his limitations and short comings from this past season. My suspicion is he will be a very capable and successful QB at the pro level, unlike all the others who have waltzed through Kelly's carousel of greatness.
Not sure many in the NFL agree with your assessment which isn't shocking.

we know what happens when Kelly has 2 QB's : range is confusion to abuse
Odd the same fans bellowing DK should have returned are the fans who would send him to the bench.

Reactions: perseverare
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT