ADVERTISEMENT

Kelly > Harbaugh

The talent is there because the buku bucks the boosters pay for recruits, not because of Saban.
giphy.gif
silly, silly post. what about before saban got there ? boosters didn't open their wallets then ?

silly, silly post. what about before saban got there ? boosters didn't open their wallets then ?
Maybe that is what Saban did better than the previous coaches. Got the boosters to open up the wallets even more.

In my opinion now that it is out in the open that the NCAA has no power the boosters and recruiting machines are even powerful. With the advent of recruiting being a big time industry it is ever easier for the "haves" to identify all of the best players and attracts those most interested in shinies.

Alabama always had great success with other previous coaches. But recruiting was way more regional. I remember the novelty of Anthony Carter coming up to play for Michigan from Florida. Now that huge staff has a reach to draw in any kid be it from LA, NW Washington, or Rhode Island. Michigan is a bigger basketball state then football and scores of the best are poached by the machines. I knew it was the end for Lloyd Carr when the best football players in the state of Michigan were all flipping to USC.

I recall a great comment from Bo Schembechler. He was talking about not ever winning a NC. He said he knew what kind of player he needed to have that opportunity but was not willing to compromise his ethics. It is probably the reason why he did not go down to Texas A&M. He knew that his morals would never fit the expectation of what is required to win.

People like Bo or John Beilein who is persona non grata with the AAU circuit are ten times the men in my opinion that Saban can ever be because they chose to try to win on their terms.

I would rather lose than win by cheating. When it was revealed that Steve Fisher got caught running a crooked program, I was angry not because Michigan got caught but because I was tricked into rooting for cheaters. Worse it probably meant that Fisher's meanter, Bill Frieder was also probably cheating and UM's 1989 championship might be tainted even if it can never be proven. All that glory might be fake.

I have to take an ethics course every year. I know in my industry there are people and companies especially in the international side that tolerate gifts, kickbacks, and bribes. I'm happy I work for a company that tells me it's better to lose the deal then to compromise your ethics. Because winning at all costs does eventually have a cost, most importantly on your soul.

Reactions: 8th Man
We can only hope for poorly executed, mistake and penalty filled game that ends in a tie, so that these very interesting debates might continue ad nauseam.

Reactions: d1042
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT