ADVERTISEMENT

Irish vs michigan game thread ...

Yes because your 2-3 hours of watching ND over the course of 2-3 months in the fall/winter is the equivalent to the access the coaching staff has who sees hundreds of reps every week nearly all year long.
Games are what matter and the players that struggle are upper class men playing awful

No one will say that.... book will just be one of the few obvious reasons ND is struggling .... Tram quit so that starts with Kelly then go to offensive and defensive game plans being horrendous for rain then you go to book, then you go To safeties and white and oline run game plan
The ND establishment will twist this into a "brian kelly 30-4 in his last 34 games just needs a better quarterback" ...

remember this is brian kelly 2.0 ... his 2010-2016 performance was excused away with that one tag line "brian kelly 2.0"

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Good game guys. Two good (top 15ish) but not great teams with many shortcomings. The monsoon really hurt your fineness passing game in the first half. I was surprised you didn't try more lob passes to your GIANT tight end. He looked like Gronk playing against Pop Warner kids.

And then things just began to snowball. Like 2014 when we played in South Bend (31-0). Or our game vs the Badgers last month.

See you next time in... 2031?

Go Blue

Last edited:
Reactions: NDTitan
We just got crushed by an average football team. Period.
If you think michigan is average then ND is average too. these are equivalent programs with Michigan having a better 2019 season than ND.

Good game guys. Two good (top 15ish) but not great teams. The monsoon really hurt your fineness passing game in the first half. I was surprised you didn't try more lob passes to your GIANT tight end. He looked like Gronk playing against Pop Warner kids. And then things just began to snowball. Like the last time we played in South Bend. Or our game vs the Baders last month. See you next time in... 2031?
Thanks for the beating.....the better team won.

Changes needed for next week....

Long fired

book and Phil 50/50 split

Clark D needs to simplify the plan and not guess on run downs

white can’t play vs a good oline ... he got swallowed

finke needs to be a cheerleader

oline needs to play with some intensity... they were so soft

Long fired

The real gameplan should be:

Brian Kelly fired.
Coach that can coach AND RECRUIT hired.

Until then .. it'll be more of the same indefinitely and how reps are split or who is out there starting won't matter.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
No way should "happy feet Book" start anymore. He has missed more open receivers than a person named QB.

Long fired

#1 not going to happen, but maybe at the end of the season.
#2 I can totally agree with that.
#3 D needs to go back to sound tackling like at the start of the season. Not sure what has happened but tonight's tackling was horrid.
#5 Finke, nice story but he is taking PT away from a WR that could be developed for the future.
#6 Need a new O line coach. Somebody who can get them to play with some intensity.

Another dummy. Michigan fought mother nature as well. Just another poor Brian Kelly game plan. To lose is one thing. To get blown out by lesser teams is unacceptable.
Uh, I never said it penalized us and not mich. I never said the better team didn’t win. I never said if it was a beautiful day we would have won. The weather absolutely effected the play calling and consequently effected the game—- end of story.

another issue on the horizon is Clark Lea’s unexpected slide. This is a few weeks in a row that the defense hasn’t been nearly as good as it should be. The front 7 has been overall very underwhelming this year most of the time.

tackling in general has been sloppy.
The front 7 was playing above their expectations most of the year. You realize they are replacing 4 of those seven with guys that barely played last year plus moving bilal?

The issue isnt the play calling or players...its its your expectations.

More Ian Book scapegoating by the ND establishment (south bend tribune)

We just got crushed by an average football team. Period.

well, it has happened to UGA Okla. recently so no one is immune to the upset.
Clearly BK’s team are not built to perform in downpours,

More Ian Book scapegoating by the ND establishment (south bend tribune)

What's wrong with quoting a player? That's 100% true of what happened. Book took some early hits in the face of pressure, and for the rest of the first half and into the 3rd quarter his eyes dropped everytime he dropped back to throw.... So many oorn receivers... Again.

Now, he wasn't alone last nice... There were some bad drops out there as well.

well, it has happened to UGA Okla. recently so no one is immune to the upset.
Clearly BK’s team are not built to perform in downpours,
Those two teams were in the game with a chance to win ....ND didn’t show up period.

Those two teams were in the game with a chance to win ....ND didn’t show up period.

well damn! that’s great news! there is a silver lining!
so who were those guys out there posturing as the ND football team?
How did they pull that off!?

Except that he continued to throw the ball downfield.

Claypool’s drop on a deep crossing pattern hurt as he might have scored.

Yeah, that missed opportunity stood out. You could see how it slip off his hands in that rain, but you HAVE to make those plays to give your team a chance. That wasn't on Book or Kelly.

What's wrong with quoting a player? That's 100% true of what happened. Book took some early hits in the face of pressure, and for the rest of the first half and into the 3rd quarter his eyes dropped everytime he dropped back to throw.... So many oorn receivers... Again.

Now, he wasn't alone last nice... There were some bad drops out there as well.

No argument from me. Ian Book was bad last night. But a lot of players were bad including the coaches.
I'm merely pointing out that Ian Book is going to get all the criticism at the exclusion of everybody else and be the program's scapegoat by the media and ND establishment.

Within hours I saw three tweets from the writers at South Bend tribune nailing Ian Book (two articles and this tweet that they posted).

This is how the ND establishment propaganda works. Instead of there being pieces about where ND currently stands in the landscape of college football mixed in with articles about different players poor play, it's going to be all about Ian Book's shortcomings as a QB/poor play. And that isn't just coincidence or accident either. It's how ND establishment uses the media to self preserve and keep the status quo.

It isn't Brian Kelly's weaknesses as a coach or the leadership at the board/AD level that have ND failing to meet expectations .. it's the QB, or the suspensions/frozen five, or BVG, or Tommy Rees arm strength, or "Brian Kelly 1.0", there's ALWAYS a baked in excuse and then the ND media helps to spread that message for the institution.

Last edited:
So, if Tua or Joe Burrow was running the Irish offense, the Georgia / Michigan results would have been the same? It's speculation, so we will never know.

No argument from me. Ian Book was bad last night. But a lot of players were bad including the coaches.
I'm merely pointing out that Ian Book is going to get all the criticism at the exclusion of everybody else and be the program's scapegoat by the media and ND establishment.

Within hours I saw three tweets from the writers at South Bend tribune nailing Ian Book (two articles and this tweet that they posted).

This is how the ND establishment propaganda works. Instead of there being pieces about where ND currently stands in the landscape of college football mixed in with articles about different players poor play, it's going to be all about Ian Book's shortcomings as a QB/poor play. And that isn't just coincidence or accident either. It's how ND establishment uses the media to self preserve and keep the status quo.

It isn't Brian Kelly's weaknesses as a coach or the leadership at the board/AD level that have ND failing to meet expectations .. it's the QB, or the suspensions/frozen five, or BVG, or Tommy Rees, or ALWAYS a baked in excuse and ten the ND media helps to spread that message.
You are right. Insert Tua or Trevor Lawerence in at qb and Kelly, Long, and Rees will find a way to minimize their talent. The problem is deeper than quarterback and the nd media/brass will just look the other way.

So, if Tua or Joe Burrow was running the Irish offense, the Georgia / Michigan results would have been the same? It's speculation, so we will never know.

What if it was Chase Young instead of Khalid Kareem out there ? Or Swift instead of TJ Jones? Or Pittman Jr. and St Brown instead of Finke and Claypool ? or Clemson's assistant coaches instead of Chip Long and Clark Lea. Or Ed Warriner at Oline coach instead of Jeff Quinn?

We can go up and down the entire program and there's PLENTY of opportunity/room for improvement across the board.

Ian Book shouldn't have to be some first round top 15 overall NFL draft pick type talent like Tua and Burrows in order for ND to be in contention for a playoff spot.

Would it help if he was ? Certainly .. but my point is that there's plenty of places across the board for improvement .. ND hasn't maxed out everywhere and now only need a better QB... the entire program isn't good enough including Ian Book and that's nobody's fault but the people in leadership at the program (the AD, the president, the head coach, etc.) but Ian Book will be the scapegoat. The 2020 narrative after ND turns on Ian Book and he transfers will be

"everything is great at ND, Brian kelly just needed a quarterback"

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT