ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone changed their perspective on being an ACC member after this season?

Not true - most ACC fans would love ND in the conference for ALL sports - Hypothetical, assume you are going to join - would you rather be in Atlantic or Coastal?

Atlantic - you would play FSU (assuming they get good again) and Clemson every year - that would eliminate this years issue - ie - you beat us then have to play us again in the championship - Coastal you don't have as attractive schedule but could possibly get us or BC as permanent cross over rival. I would like to bring you guys and Navy into the conference -put you in their division so you could preserve that game - keep USC or Stanford as your end of year rivalry game

I'm not going to entertain the question. But I'll note 1 more reason we cannot join the ACC is that it would be to easy for the heads to 'rebalance' the divisions and stick ND in the ex-Big East little kids table.

I’ve always been on the side of staying independent with the yearly goal of playing for the National championship. But the way college football has changed to a four team playoff structure, and the way conferences have been consolidated, we are now at a major disadvantage. This is a strategic waiting game that we have to play to determine if or when it’s in our best interest to join a conference, and the ACC would be my preference if we do join. Right now, I say we wait to see how the playoff structure shakes out over the next few years. If they expand to an eight team playoff, we should remain independent. If they keep the same format, and we see the conference champions given preference over us on a regular basis, then we join the ACC.

What disadvantage are you talking about? The only one I see comes from our 1 year conference stint where we have to beat Clemson twice instead. In a normal year we likely win at SC and lock up our trip to the Rose Bowl.

There is no longer a financial, or recruiting advantage to be independent. These kids have zero idea of the ND history, and they would all love to annually compete for a conference championship. Financial speaking, Jack all but admitted there is no financial advantage. And as far as exposure, all conferences, including the ACC have their own networks. That said, no doubt ND could negotiate their entrance in a way to maintain their NBC affiliation. That would give the ACC more national exposure. It's time

Reactions: dirtyspice
There is no longer a financial, or recruiting advantage to be independent. These kids have zero idea of the ND history, and they would all love to annually compete for a conference championship. Financial speaking, Jack all but admitted there is no financial advantage. And as far as exposure, all conferences, including the ACC have their own networks. That said, no doubt ND could negotiate their entrance in a way to maintain their NBC affiliation. That would give the ACC more national exposure. It's time

Come on. These kids are well aware of ND's history. That's why they come to ND in the first place. Not one kid on ND's roster thought he would be playing in a conference when he came to ND. Yet they all came anyway.
The ACC was OK for one year. But one year is enough.

I'm just glad the Domers I know are nothing like this guy.

And I’m just glad that I don’t know you.

What you and BloodofIrish are unable to comprehend is the following.
When you spend 4 years immersed in a unique culture you gain a perspective that can’t be acquired if you didn’t spend 4 years at the University..

To simplify it for you simpletons, it’s akin to someone who has never been married or cohabitated holding themselves out to be a highly qualified marriage counselor.

Experience remains a valid teacher, lack of experience not so much.

It would seem as though you didn’t attend ND either.

That doesn’t mean that you can’t be as good a fan as anyone else, but it does mean that you’re less qualified to understand the experience and the culture that comes from spending 4 years at Notre Dame.

Check on Mich State's recruiting and get back to me. I'm pretty sure they have two conference championships to ND's none.

To simplify it for you simpletons, it’s akin to someone who has never been married or cohabitated holding themselves out to be a highly qualified marriage counselor.

They're called priests.

Reactions: DublinND
And you've been wrong more often than right. You are about as pathetic as pathetic defined.

ND is already tied into the ACC conference in other sports and are committed to like 5 games each year for football. Pseudo freedom. In that respect, we go where Swarbrick says we go. He will follow the money. I find it hard to believe that as a conference team like say Rutgers, and Maryland, and Indiana individually, for ex., would get a higher payday from the B10 network than ND is getting from NBC. Maybe the cumulative amount is more, but individually paid out? I find that hard to believe.
Well you probably believe in the tooth fairy as well. If you have not yet got the memo I will be generous and relay it to you:

We love your posts because we all get a laugh out of your claims of intelligence.

Bottom line is that the MONEY is not in the ACC; it would be the Big Ten.

When you spend 4 years immersed in a unique culture you gain a perspective that can’t be acquired if you didn’t spend 4 years at the University..

That doesn’t mean that you can’t be as good a fan as anyone else, but it does mean that you’re less qualified to understand the experience and the culture that comes from spending 4 years at Notre Dame.

And I don't care about your perspective even a little. Repeat, YOUR perspective. I care about the football team and what I would like to see. Maybe you too, are a simpleton as to the huge HUGE majority of Irish fans that didn't go to ND but love the football team.

Well you probably believe in the tooth fairy as well. If you have not yet got the memo I will be generous and relay it to you:

We love your posts because we all get a laugh out of your claims of intelligence.

Bottom line is that the MONEY is not in the ACC; it would be the Big Ten.

If you got it, flaunt it. I guess that excludes you from that discussion. Actually all intelligent discussions Jealousy is a bit*h, isn't it, Ta Ta Toothy?

you know. I was going to leave this be. But assuming you know who someone is in real life can get you looking silly. ND is the largest single employer in St Joe county Indiana. Thousands of us locals work there day in and day out. And have lived here for for long before the degree you received and shove in others faces. So trying to put yourself on top of a mountain as ‘better than’ fan over others is pretty conceited of yourself.

I don’t really want to keep having this discussion because you are coming off as a pretty small and petty person I don’t if you realize that. I would assume so from how you post. But just in case no one has mentioned it to you, I wanted to let you know.

In the future Im pretty sure I won’t have much to say to you. But this is one of those calling a spade a spade kind of things.

“Okay snowflake, wipe your tears away, blow your nose, the contract to be with the ACC for your independence (so long as they agree to playing 5 games and no conf. championship) is running through 2037. We already discussed it like grown-ups. Pay attention.

My OPINION is 100% my OPINION. Your OPINION is 100% made up BS. See how effective your style of internet debate goes? Grow up and again, pay attention.”

“snowflake” and “grow up”? Lol. I’m not the one making shit up about how ND is only worried about the money aspect. They can make more money joining a conference so your “opinion” was either made up or uninformed drivel. Which one was it, jackass?

Why does, what seems like, every thread have to include constant callous name calling? Its a message board, sharing of opinions. No one is right or wrong, in fact, truth be told, the majority on this board really don't know sh*t about the university's decision making. Just exchange ideas an opinions, that is what this is for

Last edited:
“Okay snowflake, wipe your tears away, blow your nose, the contract to be with the ACC for your independence (so long as they agree to playing 5 games and no conf. championship) is running through 2037. We already discussed it like grown-ups. Pay attention.

My OPINION is 100% my OPINION. Your OPINION is 100% made up BS. See how effective your style of internet debate goes? Grow up and again, pay attention.”

“snowflake” and “grow up”? Lol. I’m not the one making shit up about how ND is only worried about the money aspect. They can make more money joining a conference so your “opinion” was either made up or uninformed drivel. Which one was it, jackass?

Unless you can prove that a conference offered more money than ND is getting now, your drivel is every bit made up as my opinion.

Why does, what seems like, every thread have to include constant callous name calling? Its a message board, sharing of opinions. No one is right or wrong, in fact, truth be told, the majority on this board most really don't know sh*t about the university's decision making. Just exchange ideas an opinions, that is what this is for

Exactly.

“Unless you can prove that a conference offered more money than ND is getting now, your drivel is every bit made up as my opinion.”

Lol. I googled it and this was the first thing that popped up from the sporting news:

“While it does not completely add up, the TV money helps cover what Notre Damefootball would earn from a Power 5 conference payout. The ACC in 2019, for example, reportedly distributed an average of $29.5 million to its 14 schools based on its $465 million revenue (the least of the Power 5 conferences).“

So it looks like my “drivel” is correct and your “opinion” on the subject (that ND would run to more money ) is made up/uninformed.

And I don't care about your perspective even a little. Repeat, YOUR perspective. I care about the football team and what I would like to see. Maybe you too, are a simpleton as to the huge HUGE majority of Irish fans that didn't go to ND but love the football team.

My perspective is fact based and on target.

Evidently you forgot the title and subject of this thread,
I hit the nail on the head when I connected BloodOfIrish’s opinion with the fact that he didn’t attend ND.

I was also correct in stating that there’s an experience and a culture associated with attending ND for 4 years and that that experience and culture can’t be obtained if you didn’t attend ND for 4 years.

I also indicated that not attending ND didn’t make one lesser of a fan.

Perhaps you should bone up on your reading comprehension skills before posting

you know. I was going to leave this be. But assuming you know who someone is in real life can get you looking silly. ND is the largest single employer in St Joe county Indiana. Thousands of us locals work there day in and day out. And have lived here for for long before the degree you received and shove in others faces. So trying to put yourself on top of a mountain as ‘better than’ fan over others is pretty conceited of yourself.

I don’t really want to keep having this discussion because you are coming off as a pretty small and petty person I don’t if you realize that. I would assume so from how you post. But just in case no one has mentioned it to you, I wanted to let you know.

In the future Im pretty sure I won’t have much to say to you. But this is one of those calling a spade a spade kind of things.

I can assure you that you didn’t live in the South Bend area LONG before I received my degree unless you’re approaching 100.

My family‘s connection and attendance at ND dates back to 1930

I never “shoved my degree” in anyone’s face.
That’s your defensive reflex speaking
You also need to bone up on your reading comprehension skills.
What I was clear on stating was that if you didn’t attend ND, you lacked the historical perspective, the experience and the absorption of the culture, only gained by being a student. That historical perspective, experience and adoption of the culture gained by attending ND for 4 years can’t be acquired osmotically, it has to be lived, not adopted.

I was also clear in stating that not attending ND didn’t make anyone less of a fan.

You and Weisenheimer failed in both your reading comprehension and in understanding the context surrounding my comments.

I appreciate everyone who works, but just because you’re the mechanic who repairs the airplane doesn’t mean that you’re eminently qualified to fly the airplane.

Hope that helps clarify things

“Unless you can prove that a conference offered more money than ND is getting now, your drivel is every bit made up as my opinion.”

Lol. I googled it and this was the first thing that popped up from the sporting news:

“While it does not completely add up, the TV money helps cover what Notre Damefootball would earn from a Power 5 conference payout. The ACC in 2019, for example, reportedly distributed an average of $29.5 million to its 14 schools based on its $465 million revenue (the least of the Power 5 conferences).“

So it looks like my “drivel” is correct and your “opinion” on the subject (that ND would run to more money ) is made up/uninformed.

NDSMC gave the link to that entire article earlier in this thread and is why I said we discussed this as adults and to pay attention. He didn't call my POV drivel. He also didn't cherry pick certain information as you did. What I see in that same article is and first off, this is all moot as a contract runs through 2037 with the ACC and 2026 with NBC.

Notre Dame makes 15 mil per year from NBC. They also get or got roughly 8 mil from the tie-in revenue from ACC. Also ND makes over 5 mil from CFP monies on average the last 5 years.

So, contractually they are tied up with both ACC and NBC until 2037 and 2026 respectively, and roughly at about the same payout.

What the article didn't explain is this:

In 2018, Forbes listed Notre Dame as the seventh most valuable college football team with a revenue of $112 million and a profit of $72 million.

So for whatever reasons Forbes didn't explain to make the above claim, again, I would hold pat on my hand and what I'm saying.

A wash at 28-29 million, yet according to Forbes lists the football team generates 112 mil and nets 72 mil. So, when any conference can beat those numbers, yes, I believe Notre Dame will run to join the conference.

My perspective is fact based and on target.

Evidently you forgot the title and subject of this thread,
I hit the nail on the head when I connected BloodOfIrish’s opinion with the fact that he didn’t attend ND.

I was also correct in stating that there’s an experience and a culture associated with attending ND for 4 years and that that experience and culture can’t be obtained if you didn’t attend ND for 4 years.

I also indicated that not attending ND didn’t make one lesser of a fan.

Perhaps you should bone up on your reading comprehension skills before posting

Did you not comprehend my response? Again, I said I don't care about your perspective. Here, my response to your arrogant post again:

And evidently I didn't forget the title. Did this thread title say "This question is for ND grads only"? Don't think so. Hence we minions too are allowed to give a perspective.

Reactions: DublinND
Seriously, Notre Dame isn't just for the people who attended it. Are people trying to banish fans?

“NDSMC gave the link to that entire article earlier in this thread and is why I said we discussed this as adults and to pay attention. He didn't call my POV drivel.”

I really don’t care what you and smc discussed, you took a shot at ND as if they’re just in it for the money and I said that’s made up BS because there are numerous articles disputing that very “opinion”. ND, as of now, cherishes its independence more than making a little more $ by joining a conference. They lose out on more lucrative bowl tie-ins to stay independent. Don’t try and peddle this nonsense that all ND cares about is money, don’t get me wrong, they’re not gonna be dumb about it, but it’s not all about the money like you tried to portray. I “paid attention” to your “adult conversation” and disputed it because it was made up horseshit. Try to keep up.

“NDSMC gave the link to that entire article earlier in this thread and is why I said we discussed this as adults and to pay attention. He didn't call my POV drivel.”

I really don’t care what you and smc discussed, you took a shot at ND as if they’re just in it for the money and I said that’s made up BS because there are numerous articles disputing that very “opinion”. ND, as of now, cherishes its independence more than making a little more $ by joining a conference. They lose out on more lucrative bowl tie-ins to stay independent. Don’t try and peddle this nonsense that all ND cares about is money, don’t get me wrong, they’re not gonna be dumb about it, but it’s not all about the money like you tried to portray. I “paid attention” to your “adult conversation” and disputed it because it was made up horseshit. Try to keep up.

You seem to get upset about the truth often. The fact is you cannot refute my opinion using facts. Happens quite a bit here, I suppose. But refute my opinion with facts you cannot do.

If the Notre Dame football program is generating 120 mil and netting 72 mil a year, as Forbes stated for 2018, there is no reason, imo, that can be given for them to join a conference right now. So they won’t (except for 5 games and no Conf. Championship and about 28+ mil. per year in contracts). Pretty sure we can agree here. My opinion is that the moment the numbers would prove financially prudent to join a conference, they would.

You probably take umbrage because you are a graduate of ND. Here is another opinion you may choke on:

Notre Dame became what it is now in large part to donations of Catholics all over the country since WWII. That’s a lot of time to be getting financial aid to grow the brand, and probably tax free. They have been a national team since your father was born and have been supported by Catholics that never attended the University of Notre Dame but adopted them as some would call (and I don’t like the term because I am not an alum be it subway or other) subway alumni. And I'm not saying they don't do good with the money. But I'm also sure that students and faculty and others affiliated are well taken care of, firstly.

So yes, football money was what built this national team primarily on the backs of Catholics, so don’t be butt hurt about it. Notre Dame is going to continue to be opportunistic for seeking out financial gains because you better know that they are in it for the money. Get over it.

Reactions: tbonesays
You seem to get upset about the truth often. The fact is you cannot refute my opinion using facts. Happens quite a bit here, I suppose. But refute my opinion with facts you cannot do.

If the Notre Dame football program is generating 120 mil and netting 72 mil a year, as Forbes stated for 2018, there is no reason, imo, that can be given for them to join a conference right now. So they won’t (except for 5 games and no Conf. Championship and about 28+ mil. per year in contracts). Pretty sure we can agree here. My opinion is that the moment the numbers would prove financially prudent to join a conference, they would.

You probably take umbrage because you are a graduate of ND. Here is another opinion you may choke on:

Notre Dame became what it is now in large part to donations of Catholics all over the country since WWII. That’s a lot of time to be getting financial aid to grow the brand, and probably tax free. They have been a national team since your father was born and have been supported by Catholics that never attended the University of Notre Dame but adopted them as some would call (and I don’t like the term because I am not an alum be it subway or other) subway alumni. And I'm not saying they don't do good with the money. But I'm also sure that students and faculty and others affiliated are well taken care of, firstly.

So yes, football money was what built this national team primarily on the backs of Catholics, so don’t be butt hurt about it. Notre Dame is going to continue to be opportunistic for seeking out financial gains because you better know that they are in it for the money. Get over it.
Fair enough but donations don't come from conference membership and are irrelevant; EXCEPT to the point that joining a conference might piss off the big money donors.

you cannot dispute media contracts that are in the news on a weekly basis. The SEC is the #1 highest paid conference under their newest deal. The BUG10 is 2nd [because their deal is a little older] averaging $50 million a year, The Big12 is in third because they convinced the networks to let ten teams share a pie baked for 12. The ACC is in 4th place because they have so many medium-sized privatesque schools. 28 or so million dollars is a lot lower than 50, but, you can consider the weight those dollars have when compared to the size of the institution. Lastly the PAC is a joke. They aren't going broke with @23 million dollars or so. But everyone is laughing at them for building and owning the PACtv Network only to discover that no one wants to buy it; not even on the West Coast.

So if ND just wanted to optimize her tv deal we would have called the BUG and SEC and took the highest bid. We prefer to keep our soul the way it is.

First off, your posts & “truths” rarely intersect, so I have no trouble w/ truths but very much so your posts. ND can make more money joining a conference. Period. Never have I said that ND won’t look out for themselves financially, what business/school wouldn’t? You’re trying to paint this picture that ND makes every decision based solely on which decision will garner the most money and that ND decides to go w/ the one that makes them the most money every time, that’s false. Other P5 schools make more than us in TV revenue and we don’t care because we’d like to try and stay independent for myriad reasons, keeping a national brand for recruiting is one major reason. Go ahead and brand ND being all about the money all you want, they’ve made decisions in the past that directly counter that BS made up flame. And just ftr, I know you’re not, but I’m a proud ND subway alum but an actual bucknell alum.

Did you not comprehend my response? Again, I said I don't care about your perspective. Here, my response to your arrogant post again:

And evidently I didn't forget the title. Did this thread title say "This question is for ND grads only"? Don't think so. Hence we minions too are allowed to give a perspective.

You continue to miss the point.

You’re in desperate need of a refresher course in reading comprehension !

You‘re certainly entitled to your perspective, however, what you continue to fail to understand is that your perspective lacks the experience gained from spending 4 years as a student at ND. Your perspective lacks the osmotic cultural experience gained from spending 4 years as a student.

Hence, when non-students posit their views on what path the university should choose, you lack the experiences, the osmotic absorption of the culture and the mindset created from spending 4 years as a student at ND.

As I stated, it’s akin to a lifelong bachelor disseminating advice on marriage.

The issue, which you seem to have forgotten, has nothing to do with the play of the football team. ! It has everything to do with joining the ACC !

You‘re certainly entitled to your perspective, however, what you continue to fail to understand is that your perspective lacks the experience gained from spending 4 years as a student at ND. Your perspective lacks the osmotic cultural experience gained from spending 4 years as a student.

Hence, when non-students posit their views on what path the university should choose, you lack the experiences, the osmotic absorption of the culture and the mindset created from spending 4 years as a student at ND.

The issue, which you seem to have forgotten, has nothing to do with the play of the football team. ! It has everything to do with joining the ACC !
Join the ACC, allow these kids an opportunity to annually compete for a CC and an NC. The kids of today have zero connection to our independent status. The landscape has changed drastically, we need to change as well.

Join the ACC, allow these kids an opportunity to annually compete for a CC and an NC. The kids of today have zero connection to our independent status. The landscape has changed drastically, we need to change as well.

Disagree. If they had "zero connection to our independent status" they wouldn't elect to attend ND.

Filibuster much? Sheesh. I don't know how many times I can say the same thing, so I won't. OK, last time:

I do NOT care about YOUR perspective.

First off, your posts & “truths” rarely intersect, so I have no trouble w/ truths but very much so your posts. ND can make more money joining a conference. Period. Never have I said that ND won’t look out for themselves financially, what business/school wouldn’t? You’re trying to paint this picture that ND makes every decision based solely on which decision will garner the most money and that ND decides to go w/ the one that makes them the most money every time, that’s false. Other P5 schools make more than us in TV revenue and we don’t care because we’d like to try and stay independent for myriad reasons, keeping a national brand for recruiting is one major reason. Go ahead and brand ND being all about the money all you want, they’ve made decisions in the past that directly counter that BS made up flame. And just ftr, I know you’re not, but I’m a proud ND subway alum but an actual bucknell alum.

Wrong again subbie, and good for you, subbie. Be a proud subbie. But You have trouble with the truth way more so than I do. Ex., why did you cherry pick that Sporting News article? Were you afraid the entire article would diminish your argument? NDSMC posted the link which allowed me to read and better understand his point/the situation as explained by a Sporting News writer.

And I didn't say EVERY decision, but I would imagine every decision where finance is present, it would hopefully be considered. I began and hold to the premise as it refers to joining a conference. You don't want ND to, I get that. I'd prefer we didn't as well, and certainly not go as far as playing 5 games from a conference, but with no Conf. Champ. game.

Fair enough but donations don't come from conference membership and are irrelevant; EXCEPT to the point that joining a conference might piss off the big money donors.

you cannot dispute media contracts that are in the news on a weekly basis. The SEC is the #1 highest paid conference under their newest deal. The BUG10 is 2nd [because their deal is a little older] averaging $50 million a year, The Big12 is in third because they convinced the networks to let ten teams share a pie baked for 12. The ACC is in 4th place because they have so many medium-sized privatesque schools. 28 or so million dollars is a lot lower than 50, but, you can consider the weight those dollars have when compared to the size of the institution. Lastly the PAC is a joke. They aren't going broke with @23 million dollars or so. But everyone is laughing at them for building and owning the PACtv Network only to discover that no one wants to buy it; not even on the West Coast.

So if ND just wanted to optimize her tv deal we would have called the BUG and SEC and took the highest bid. We prefer to keep our soul the way it is.

Well, define donations. I would imagine 7.9 mil and 5+ mil would be quite relevant to ND especially in these times.

Does not matter if they are independent or in the ACC -- will root for ND -- period!

Overall, prefer independence and the variety of our national schedule. Hope to win ACC championship this yr, just to show that we could do it, win the natl championship, and then return to independence next yr and USC, Navy, etc etc, and maybe add an SEC team or two.............

Reactions: Classic Irish
Well, define donations. I would imagine 7.9 mil and 5+ mil would be quite relevant to ND especially in these times.
There is no obligation to make a donation. Otoh when conferences sign mega-deals with ESPN, Disney is the de facto owner of the football team. For example the latest SEC deal means that espn can move sec games to espn+, basically ppv. ND shouldn't do that. We should take less money and in exchange have our brand broadcasted into homes for free.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
“Wrong again subbie, and good for you, subbie. Be a proud subbie. But You have trouble with the truth way more so than I do.“

Wrong again, non-subbie, and sorry for you, non-subbie. Be a proud, disgruntled non-subbie. No problem w/ the truth, only your opinions, which rarely meet.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
Filibuster much? Sheesh. I don't know how many times I can say the same thing, so I won't. OK, last time:

I do NOT care about YOUR perspective.

Like what you think matters to me.

You’re irrelevant !

And you lack the historical perspective and cultural experience gained by spending 4 years as a student at ND

I think that's probably a fair statement. As in nobody but tradition-soaked and tradition-bound ND fans care about being independent, to the point you'd get nothing more than a nonplussed stare from a lot of college prospects if you tried to impress upon them how awesome, special and important being independent and unaffiliated and not a member of say the ACC for example really is. It probably just flat out doesn't compute. And would have to be explained.

So nothing bad about it if you can make it work, which ND can. But I would tend to agree that it could very well be a negative on the recruiting trail. All they see is a school off by themselves, willfully of their own volition, on account of long since past historical grounds which carries precious little resonance with kids born after the year 2000, and they don't get to play in no CCG, and they're never going to. I would imagine there's very little appeal among prospects on the score of our non-conference independence.

But maybe they love it. Maybe that's how you can tell if a kid 'gets' ND.

Quickly turn on UNC-Miami and ask yourself if you want ND playing a meaningless game in the final week. We could easily be in Miami's shoes, 1 loss team but absolutely eliminated from the CCG the kids care so much about.

Quickly turn on UNC-Miami and ask yourself if you want ND playing a meaningless game in the final week. We could easily be in Miami's shoes, 1 loss team but absolutely eliminated from the CCG the kids care so much about.
They got beat by the better team

The best part is that we didn't have to play Navy. The dlinemen don't have to worry about getting hurt and the wear and tear of the cut blocks. Plus wasting practice time on an offense only 1 team runs.

Reactions: Golson5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT