ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone changed their perspective on being an ACC member after this season?

BloodOfIrish

Shakes Down The Thunder
Nov 30, 2018
Not saying you are right or wrong for having your opinion. This is an argument as old as time.

Just curious watching ND navigate the season and now preparing to play for their first conference championship ever, if anyone has changed their mind would like to see ND go ACC full time instead of being Indy?

I had always been an Indy guy until about 5 or 6 years ago. And I kind of flipped the switch looking at how college football works nowadays. And that ND seems to want to be indy just to be stubborn.

Yes there would have to be sacrifice in the opponents. But is any ND fan going to * this season just because it didnt include Navy, Stanford, or USC?

ND schedule as an independent is getting to the point where it’s difficult to find good opponents after early October ... thankfully we have the 5 ACC opponents and every other year end the season with USC. I see us in a conference sometime in the next 10 years. If there is not fundamental realignment then it’s ACC

Well... at least we know we can compete! ACC champs, baby... it wouldn't be a huge shock if they cancelled the ACC title game. I guess it would be a shock, but there's no need, there's no divisions to play off and we ended up alone in 1st place undefeated untied. So if they wanted to cancel it last minute it would be fine because we are already the 2020 ACC champs! Then we'd definitely get in the playoff. And Clemson would too.

Well... at least we know we can compete! ACC champs, baby... it wouldn't be a huge shock if they cancelled the ACC title game. I guess it would be a shock, but there's no need, there's no divisions to play off and we ended up alone in 1st place undefeated untied. So if they wanted to cancel it last minute it would be fine because we are already the 2020 ACC champs! Then we'd definitely get in the playoff. And Clemson would too.
Sure ND would be competitive, but you have one of your best teams ever. We will get a better picture when ND plays Clemson on a level playing field. Miami is going to be good and UNC is recruiting well under Mack. UVA also shows promise. I personally hope ND completely severs ties w/ACC or commits fully to the ACC.

Sure ND would be competitive, but you have one of your best teams ever. We will get a better picture when ND plays Clemson on a level playing field. Miami is going to be good and UNC is recruiting well under Mack. UVA also shows promise. I personally hope ND completely severs ties w/ACC or commits fully to the ACC.
ND cannot do the former. First, ND requires Major conference membership for sports like basketball, baseball, and lacrosse, as well as women's sports. And being the school it is, ND needs that conference to be based on the East Coast (the Big 12 probably would offer a similar arrangement, but it would not work nearly as well for ND because of geography). Second, without the partial membership in ACC football, ND would find it very hard to get the quality football schedule it wants and needs. This is neither 1973 nor 1993 nor even 2003. Everybody in every P5 gets televised 11 or 12 games per year. Nobody needs to play ND to get on TV, even to get on nationally broadcast TV, meaning that everybody thinking about OOC games must think about Ws more than TV spots. You play the league slate, and then you want 1 big name OOC foe and 2 or 3 OOC so-so or weak foes.

So your either/or actually means that ND should make the final leap.

ND cannot do the former. First, ND requires Major conference membership for sports like basketball, baseball, and lacrosse, as well as women's sports. And being the school it is, ND needs that conference to be based on the East Coast (the Big 12 probably would offer a similar arrangement, but it would not work nearly as well for ND because of geography). Second, without the partial membership in ACC football, ND would find it very hard to get the quality football schedule it wants and needs. This is neither 1973 nor 1993 nor even 2003. Everybody in every P5 gets televised 11 or 12 games per year. Nobody needs to play ND to get on TV, even to get on nationally broadcast TV, meaning that everybody thinking about OOC games must think about Ws more than TV spots. You play the league slate, and then you want 1 big name OOC foe and 2 or 3 OOC so-so or weak foes.

So your either/or actually means that ND should make the final leap.
Without attempting to explain why, I believe that by totally committing to the ACC, ND Basketball would improve as well.

Reactions: dirtyspice
Not saying you are right or wrong for having your opinion. This is an argument as old as time.

Just curious watching ND navigate the season and now preparing to play for their first conference championship ever, if anyone has changed their mind would like to see ND go ACC full time instead of being Indy?

I had always been an Indy guy until about 5 or 6 years ago. And I kind of flipped the switch looking at how college football works nowadays. And that ND seems to want to be indy just to be stubborn.

Yes there would have to be sacrifice in the opponents. But is any ND fan going to * this season just because it didnt include Navy, Stanford, or USC?

No.

Reactions: NIN Irish
I think we should stay independent but if they do join I won’t be upset. I understand both ideals. One caveat is that we keep Navy and a west coast game.

No to joining the conference. Stay independent until/if the landscape changes where they can no longer gain access to the playoffs as an Indy.

I think you can make a case for both. ND’s schedule every year is a hindrance IMO. ND is the only team in the country that travels different time zones multiple times a year, only second in miles traveled outside of Hawaii. ND recruits a lot in GA, NC, SC, and FL now, and being an ACC member would likely entice more of them to South Bend.

On the flip side the independent schedule allows ND fans across the country to see the Irish live and more exposure to HS talent pools in the southwest and west. I also think it puts ND more squarely in the national spotlight and discussion.

I prefer Independence but realize time isn’t on our side as more and more coaches and universities are discussing P5 teams being in their own division and a handful of super conferences.

Time will tell.

No, not at all! It’s fun for one year, but I miss USC, Stanford and Navy on a yearly basis. Win the Acccg and hang the banner outside the cisatot locker room and it’s back to independence.

No, not at all! It’s fun for one year, but I miss USC, Stanford and Navy on a yearly basis. Win the Acccg and hang the banner outside the cisatot locker room and it’s back to independence.
If ND doesn’t win the ACC with arguably one of its best teams ever, and especially if she loses big, then doesn’t that leave a lasting bad impression since there will be no opportunity for redemption if she leaves. I.E., With one of its best teams ever ND still could not win the ACC.

Last edited:

No
Another reason, for the most part, the schedule has been way too easy, and boring this year.
Stay independent.

If ND doesn’t win the ACC with arguably one of its best teams ever, and especially if she loses big, then doesn’t that leave a lasting bad impression since there will be no opportunity for redemption if she leaves. I.E., With one of its best teams ever ND still could not win the ACC.
The jury on whether this team is one of the greatest ND teams ever is still out. You can’t compare this team to even the ‘88 team which beat #1, #2, #3, and #9 on its way to a national championship.

Win or lose the ACCCG doesn’t matter. It’s a stepping stone or goal to get to the next step, the playoffs.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Well; you can see how a Alabama and a few others (Ohio State) become so dominant. No real travel to speak of; learn to dominate the systems of other schools. Notre Dame traveling all over the country is unique and special. I say stay independent.

Reactions: NDinNJ
INDEPENDENT !

Independence is what has helped make Notre Dame a NATIONAL icon for a century !

Reactions: NDinNJ
I will never understand the appeal of conferences. Why on earth would teams want to play basically the same schedule over and over again? It's fine in a sport like basketball where you get plenty of opportunities against OOC opponents. But it's a huge burden to a football schedule. If it becomes necessary, then so be it. But I hope we stay independent as long as possible.

I will never understand the appeal of conferences. Why on earth would teams want to play basically the same schedule over and over again? It's fine in a sport like basketball where you get plenty of opportunities against OOC opponents. But it's a huge burden to a football schedule. If it becomes necessary, then so be it. But I hope we stay independent as long as possible.
If ND were not in the ACC, she would not be part of one of the season‘s most anticipated games. ND fans and players would be sitting on their hands watching other teams and fans participate in moulding the playoff scenario. Conference championship games are highly anticipated and very meaningful to both fans and players. Not being in the ACC deprives fans and players of the possible opportunity of playing In a game second only to the NC game each year. I don’t understand how the ego stroking derived from being independent trumps playing in a Game of tremendous importance. Hey, I‘d rather be independent rather than play Clemson or Miami in front of a national audience for the conference championship and by winning assure an opportunity to play for the NC.LÖL

You can portray it as ego stroking if that makes you feel better. It was clear from my post, however, that it's about playing fun schedules. College football is better when all the great teams play each other. I'm super excited to see Clemson/Georgia and Miami/Alabama next year, whether the teams are in the playoff race or not. I'm even more excited to see my Irish play Wisconsin, Ohio State, Texas A&M, & Alabama in addition to our ACC foes in the coming years. These types of games happened way more in the past, but they are becoming rarer as conferences continue to assert their influence. It might be inevitable as it seems to be where the money is pushing things, but it's bad for college football in general.

Reactions: francade
Yeah we don't care

Reactions: HRC08 and francade
Chill out bro. We have 11 National Titles and countless close calls. We've had plenty of great teams. You're 10 year run isn't on our level. Quit acting like your cfb royalty with your acc nonsense. We'll do what we do because we can and you cant

Reactions: DublinND and NDinNJ
Like the year Alabama didn’t win the SEC but they did win the National Championshop.

Reactions: HRC08 and Golson5
Like the year Alabama didn’t win the SEC but they did win the National Championshop.
There's the ever-growing possibility that a loss to Clemson, especially a significant one, will leave ND out of the playoffs.

Chill out bro. We have 11 National Titles and countless close calls. We've had plenty of great teams. You're 10 year run isn't on our level. Quit acting like your cfb royalty with your acc nonsense. We'll do what we do because we can and you cant
Ouch!

There's the ever-growing possibility that a loss to Clemson, especially a significant one, will leave ND out of the playoffs.

What “ever growing possibility”. ?

The one in your mind ?

Wouldn‘t any undefeated team that experienced a significant loss at the end of the season have the possibility of being left out of the playoffs ?

No to joining the conference. Stay independent until/if the landscape changes where they can no longer gain access to the playoffs as an Indy.
The problem with this is that ND would be dictated to....no bargaining power....alot to consider such as TV contracts. ND needs to join the ACC on its own terms.

If ND were not in the ACC, she would not be part of one of the season‘s most anticipated games. ND fans and players would be sitting on their hands watching other teams and fans participate in moulding the playoff scenario. Conference championship games are highly anticipated and very meaningful to both fans and players. Not being in the ACC deprives fans and players of the possible opportunity of playing In a game second only to the NC game each year. I don’t understand how the ego stroking derived from being independent trumps playing in a Game of tremendous importance. Hey, I‘d rather be independent rather than play Clemson or Miami in front of a national audience for the conference championship and by winning assure an opportunity to play for the NC.LÖL

Baloney, only in your mind.

Notre Dame‘s history proves you wrong.

You know nothing about Notre Dame, it’s history and significance in college football.

For about 100 years The ACC has been mostly irrelevant in college football.

Notre Dame doesn’t need a conference championship to validate its relevance in college football !

Reactions: DublinND
The main thing I despise about conferences is how they protect their upper tiers teams. Rarely will you see an Oregon,USC,Oklahoma,Bama,Florida ,OSU play any major teams outside their conferences on a schedule. They pad wins against overmatched teams like Savannah State, Citadel, etc. I know ND has those games too but they play USC,Stanford,Michigan,Clemson,Wisconsin,etc. SEC is way overrated from top to bottom. I believe ACC had parity for most part this year. It seems these teams are never called out for their scheduling weak teams outside their conferences. Bama and OSU are the most egregious.Sure you can be at top of polls when no one in your conference challenges you and then you also play weak teams outside of conference to pad win total. While I enjoyed ND beating BC,FL.ST. ,Clemson,Pitt,UNC, I like the challenges of USC,wISCONSIN,OSU and others on our future schedules. You don't see that at other power 5 schools. Even independents like BYU pad their game schedules. Notre Dame is unique and fearless. The others are gibronies.

I do favor joining. Without the ACC our other sports would be in a worse place. We would have no bowl tie ins. This year we would not really had much of a schedule. It would be tough to schedule mid year games. I do not like missing out on conference championship weekend. No all conference awards. And most of all, the best negotiating position we are likely ever to have is now. True independence vanished when the conferences pulled the real power from the NCAA and we took 5 mandatory ACC games. As long as schedule is limited to 8 games, giving is 4 to work with, I would pull the trigger. But respect to those who stand with the tradition.

I would offer a couple counter points for some of the routine arguments I see here

1. on always having quality opponents to play. Look at BYU. They didn’t have a single P5 opponent this year because all of the conference teams eliminated OOC games. And even after finishing their scheduled games undefeated they didn’t crack the top 10. Yes this year is different than normal. But it shows you how quick the opponents can disappear. Remember it was USC that cancelled the ND game. Not the other way around. Conference contracts help with that. And remember the whole reason for ND ultimately joining the ACC contract was for the guaranteed P5 games and bowl bids. Being part of a conference eliminates those worries.

2. On quality of opponents. Yes ND routinely plays some great opponents every year. But others do also. ND has plans to play Ohio St, Bama, and others. Well. Those teams are all in conferences and are playing ND. And on the other end at the cupcake level. Keep in mind ND had Western Michigan on the schedule and did play USF this year. Neither of which is setting the world on fire. And getting a chance to sweep your division and hang those banners are pretty nice. Ask the basketball team ;)

3. On recruiting ND has not been doing terribly well in high rated west coast recruits and has been making some great gets from Florida, Georgia etc. might help in recruiting to play more games in that region.

4. Lastly. For all of ND stubbornness for years refusing to conference up. The P5 figured out how to fix that. So as a fan ask yourself. Do you want ND to be Indy at the cost of being available to play for the championship? And if not. Then why does it really matter if they are Indy? Is it just a tradition thing? Because the Jumbotron was installed. Field turf was put in. And ND is still ND. They didn’t sacrifice tradition to do it. They practically rebuilt the entire stadium. Where it almost doesn’t even look like the House that Rockne Built. But ND is still ND.

Reactions: dirtyspice
I would offer a couple counter points for some of the routine arguments I see here

1. on always having quality opponents to play. Look at BYU. They didn’t have a single P5 opponent this year because all of the conference teams eliminated OOC games. And even after finishing their scheduled games undefeated they didn’t crack the top 10. Yes this year is different than normal. But it shows you how quick the opponents can disappear. Remember it was USC that cancelled the ND game. Not the other way around. Conference contracts help with that. And remember the whole reason for ND ultimately joining the ACC contract was for the guaranteed P5 games and bowl bids. Being part of a conference eliminates those worries.

2. On quality of opponents. Yes ND routinely plays some great opponents every year. But others do also. ND has plans to play Ohio St, Bama, and others. Well. Those teams are all in conferences and are playing ND. And on the other end at the cupcake level. Keep in mind ND had Western Michigan on the schedule and did play USF this year. Neither of which is setting the world on fire. And getting a chance to sweep your division and hang those banners are pretty nice. Ask the basketball team ;)

3. On recruiting ND has not been doing terribly well in high rated west coast recruits and has been making some great gets from Florida, Georgia etc. might help in recruiting to play more games in that region.

4. Lastly. For all of ND stubbornness for years refusing to conference up. The P5 figured out how to fix that. So as a fan ask yourself. Do you want ND to be Indy at the cost of being available to play for the championship? And if not. Then why does it really matter if they are Indy? Is it just a tradition thing? Because the Jumbotron was installed. Field turf was put in. And ND is still ND. They didn’t sacrifice tradition to do it. They practically rebuilt the entire stadium. Where it almost doesn’t even look like the House that Rockne Built. But ND is still ND.

Joining a conference paints ND into a corner and diminishes their control over their own destiny.

Notre Dame’s footprint is national, joining a conference would end that.
Alabama and Ohio State playing ND are outliers on their schedules.
Why do you think they want to play Notre Dame ?
Its because of Notre Dame’s significance and lofty image in college football, a significance and lofty image gained by Notre Dame’s independence.

Why do I think that you didn’t attend Notre Dame ?

You’d have to be a moron to equate stadium upgrades to forfeiting independence !

Joining a conference paints ND into a corner and diminishes their control over their own destiny.

Notre Dame’s footprint is national, joining a conference would end that.
Alabama and Ohio State playing ND are outliers on their schedules.
Why do you think they want to play Notre Dame ?
Its because of Notre Dame’s significance and lofty image in college football, a significance and lofty image gained by Notre Dame’s independence.

Why do I think that you didn’t attend Notre Dame ?

You’d have to be a moron to equate stadium upgrades to forfeiting independence !

Kelly didn’t attend ND. Sabans only ND experience has been beating them on the field

Just asking. Are you only allowed to have an opinion if your degree says ND?

As to scheduling, The B1G recently changed their OOC scheduling rules, to toughen up their SOS.

To speak on outliers. Ohio St has not only ND, but Texas, Oregon, Washington, Bama, Georgia and others on their upcoming OOC schedule. Just wondering. Did any of those schools ditch their conferences? Because I don’t know how Ohio St in the Midwest could have heard of these non national teams if not under what you are saying

We already did that. We played Clemson in the most anticipated match of the 2020 season. We had the best season of any ACC team and win the conference in the pre-cable tv era.

And our reward? Clemson gets a guaranteed rematch. That is an anathema to the tradition not college football and makes it into NFL-jr.

Look at the attendance for the ACCCG compared to an average Clemson home game and you'll easily see how 'meaningful' it is.

Kelly didn’t attend ND. Sabans only ND experience has been beating them on the field

Just asking. Are you only allowed to have an opinion if your degree says ND?

As to scheduling, The B1G recently changed their OOC scheduling rules, to toughen up their SOS.

To speak on outliers. Ohio St has not only ND, but Texas, Oregon, Washington, Bama, Georgia and others on their upcoming OOC schedule. Just wondering. Did any of those schools ditch their conferences? Because I don’t know how Ohio St in the Midwest could have heard of these non national teams if not under what you are saying

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but the jist of your post convinced me that you didn’t attend Notre Dame.

I believe that those who attended Notre Dame have an entirely different perspective from the one you posited.

Those that attended ND understand that distinction, subtle or blatant.

Don‘t take it personally, but, you don’t get it. You don’t have an ND mindset.

Your OSU example is flawed because those non-conference games are over many seasons, whereas Notre Dame plays a great variety of teams every season.

I for one objected to ND committing a limited number of games to the ACC every year.
I believe that it taints/limits our national exposure and influence.

While you’re entitled to your opinion, you’re still an outsider looking in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT