ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman is a message board hire

Successful to what degree? Better than BK? I don’t buy it.
Kelly sh*t the bed in major bowl games, and in season big games far too many times to remember. Yes this loss hurt, but ND was in this game to the end, unlike past Fiesta bowls.

My wife, who doesn't care much about football even said "Well at least they finally made it a close game."

Kelly sh*t the bed in major bowl games, and in season big games far too many times to remember. Yes this loss hurt, but ND was in this game to the end, unlike past Fiesta bowls.

My wife, who doesn't care much about football even said "Well at least they finally made it a close game."
Hmm. Well that might be true but we played the B12 loser. Not like it was Ohio State or something. Freeman looks incredibly uncomfortable on the sideline. He’s looked like that from day 1. He looked like that vs FSU when BK was giving him the look of death. The guys in way over his head. He might be the worst ever hire. IHe certainly isn’t moving any needle I can tell you that. BK made 2 playoffs. I think Freeman may win 2 games.

Hmm. Well that might be true but we played the B12 loser. Not like it was Ohio State or something. Freeman looks incredibly uncomfortable on the sideline. He’s looked like that from day 1. He looked like that vs FSU when BK was giving him the look of death. The guys in way over his head. He might be the worst ever hire. IHe certainly isn’t moving any needle I can tell you that. BK made 2 playoffs. I think Freeman may win 2 games.
ND played a terribly weak schedule this year. OKS may have been the B12 loser, but they had a tougher schedule than ND. ND's only game was vs UC and they lost by 2 scores. If any year ND is to be considered overrated, it was this year.

Reactions: Rionegro
I objected to ND hiring other than a HC, stating that we should have learned our lessons from previous non-HC hires.

The fact is that Kelly really fooked us with the timing of his quitting !

I objected to ND hiring other than a HC, stating that we should have learned our lessons from previous non-HC hires.

The fact is that Kelly really fooked us with the timing of his quitting !
Agree. But blowing off Fickell will go down as this programs biggest F up. Mark my words.

And it’s Cincinnati. Beating Nd is quite the feat are you helping make my point?
Not sure what point you are trying to make, but i would have preferred Fickell over Freeman. We have Freeman and can't judge him after 1 game.

Not sure what point you are trying to make, but i would have preferred Fickell over Freeman. We have Freeman and can't judge him after 1 game.
NOT TRUE !

You can judge his performance ax a Head Coach.

You can judge his ability to game plan, to adjust, to strategize, to be a field general.

He was clearly in over his head.

ND will now pay a heavy price for on the job training.

ND made yet another calamitous Head Coaching hire !

KELLY FOOKED US !

Freeman is very impressive in interviews. And he did a nice job as defensive coordinator this season, similar to Elko and Lea, maybe not quite as good as Lea who had solid defenses throughout the season.

But Freeman is no where near ready to be head coach of ND. No other major program was considering him and Swarbrick bid against himself. It boggles the mind he didn’t go after Fickell or another proven head coach.

The recruiting fan boys (you know who I’m talking about) love this hire, which is a warning sign. So do the rah rah beat reporters like Sampson and Loy who struggle to see the forest from the tree’s. I’ll never understand the urgency to keep a couple high school recruits committed when you’re hiring a coach for the next decade. It’s shortsighted and the same trap USC and so many other AD’s have fallen into.

One of Lou Somogyi’s major rules in his lifetime of following Notre Dame football
was that no assistant coach has ever worked out as head coach at ND. He would always quote Ara and Bob Davie saying the same thing. Those who don’t remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Kelly had this program rolling, the infrastructure is as good as it’s been in 30 years, but predicting in 4-5 years Freeman will be an assistant coach in the NFL, and ND will be looking for a new coach to rebuild.

Really hope I’m wrong. I’m as diehard an ND fan as you’ll ever meet, but history and a lifetime of following college football tells me ND is about to regress.
WE BOTH AGREED ON THIS.

TODAY, WHERE ARE ALL OF THOSE WHO ARDENTLY OPPOSED US ?

WE BOTH AGREED ON THIS.

TODAY, WHERE ARE ALL OF THOSE WHO ARDENTLY OPPOSED US ?
I wanted Fickell too. we have Freeman. You guys are in melt down mode over 1 consolation game. So quick to criticize the new coach after 1 game, but crickets over the past 12 years of embarrassing losses. The UC loss was a worse loss than the loss to OKS. UC has no where near the talent ND has, and far less talent than OKS.
Did you all really expect that Freeman was going to be able to fix the issues this team had with the OLine, running game, and DB play all year long in 15 practices? Not even Saban could to that. So i suggest everyone relax and let's see how things go next season.

Reactions: DublinND
I wanted Fickell too. we have Freeman. You guys are in melt down mode over 1 consolation game. So quick to criticize the new coach after 1 game, but crickets over the past 12 years of embarrassing losses. The UC loss was a worse loss than the loss to OKS. UC has no where near the talent ND has, and far less talent than OKS.
Did you all really expect that Freeman was going to be able to fix the issues this team had with the OLine, running game, and DB play all year long in 15 practices? Not even Saban could to that. So i suggest everyone relax and let's see how things go next season.

Really ?

Cincy had 30 5th and 6th year guys this year.

They have 7 going to the Senior Bowl . How many do we have ?

They had a better team period.

Really ?

Cincy had 30 5th and 6th year guys this year.

They have 7 going to the Senior Bowl . How many do we have ?

They had a better team period.
They had a more experienced team, but not a more talented team. Even their QB was a 3 star. so stop with the Kelly excuses. I've heard them for 12 years and it's tiring.
Fact is, if Kelly was coaching yesterday, we most likely lose by 2+ scores instead of 2 points.

“Issues with the team” ?

He inherited the # 5 team in the nation.

He demonstrated a laundry list of shortcomings

His hire was a rush to judgement

“Issues with the team” ?

So being #5 means ND was below Michigan and Cincinnati, who were both slaughtered by the two SEC teams. Hence, being #5 isn’t really all that great, is it?

“Issues with the team” ?

This team was not a top 5 team. The schedule was extremely favorable this year. The only decent team ND beat this year was Wisconsin. The other two games vs quality opponents were UC, whom we lost to by 2 scores at home, and OKS, who is more talented than UC. That's the reality.

Successful to what degree? Better than BK? I don’t buy it.
If you call getting blown out and embarrassed in every big game successful, you need to raise that bar of success a bit.
From a historical perspective, if Kelly had coached that game yesterday, most likely ND loses by 2+ scores instead of 2 points. He couldn't beat UC this year, and OKS has more talent than UC.

It is not just that we lost, resulting from a miss judgement here or there as the game processed. No, it was how we were totally; 100% clueless in the second half, and made 0 adjustments to the game changes of the other team.

If you call getting blown out and embarrassed in every big game successful, you need to raise that bar of success a bit.
From a historical perspective, if Kelly had coached that game yesterday, most likely ND loses by 2+ scores instead of 2 points. He couldn't beat UC this year, and OKS has more talent than UC.
Maybe so. I don’t think so though. I bet money on it that Freeman will lose a lot more games than Kelly ever did. Do I want that to happen? Hell no. But this guy has no business coaching at Notre Dame. He’s a good man and probably an OK defensive coordinator but he is not a head coach.
we are going to regress that’s the point. Not that Kelly was the greatest coach of all time but he was certainly a hell of a lot better than Freeman. LSU $100 million paycheck supports that. Certainly I’m not the only one with that thought.

So being #5 means ND was below Michigan and Cincinnati, who were both slaughtered by the two SEC teams. Hence, being #5 isn’t really all that great, is it?
Are you out of your mind ?

No need to answer ……. again.

# 5 is fantastic !

This team was not a top 5 team. The schedule was extremely favorable this year. The only decent team ND beat this year was Wisconsin. The other two games vs quality opponents were UC, whom we lost to by 2 scores at home, and OKS, who is more talented than UC. That's the reality.
The “reality” is that we were ranked # 5 by entities far more knowledgeable than you, including Las Vegas who had us favored over the # 6 team.

That’s the “reality”

Your 20-20 hindsight is irrelevant!

Reactions: notredamerises23
Maybe so. I don’t think so though. I bet money on it that Freeman will lose a lot more games than Kelly ever did. Do I want that to happen? Hell no. But this guy has no business coaching at Notre Dame. He’s a good man and probably an OK defensive coordinator but he is not a head coach.
we are going to regress that’s the point. Not that Kelly was the greatest coach of all time but he was certainly a hell of a lot better than Freeman. LSU $100 million paycheck supports that. Certainly I’m not the only one with that thought.
I hope you are wrong. I would have preferred they hired Fickell as well. Unfortunately none of us on this board have a say in deciding who ND hires. The decision was made and all i can do is support the new coach and hope Freeman is successful. We as fans all want Freeman to be successful. Let's see what happens in the next year.

Teams will fear Freeman more than Fickell. Fickell is BK 2.0

Freeman is dynamic
I’ve got news for you - 99% of ALL college football head coaches should be so lucky to be BK 2.0

284-97-2, which ranks him first among all active FBS coaches in career victories, ahead of Alabama's Nick Saban (272 wins) and North Carolina's Mack Brown (265 wins). Kelly has only had two teams finish below . 500 during his 31-year collegiate career.

The “reality” is that we were ranked # 5 by entities far more knowledgeable than you, including Las Vegas who had us favored over the # 6 team.

That’s the “reality”

Your 20-20 hindsight is irrelevant!
He’s just finding means of coping and making excuses now that he can’t blame Kelly for everything.

This post actually aged well. I hate to throw in the towel on a coach this early, but a loss to Marshall with an offense that can’t buy a TD for $1.25 million…A middle school coach could have taken advantage of this talent disparity…Yet here we are.

This post actually aged well. I hate to throw in the towel on a coach this early, but a loss to Marshall with an offense that can’t buy a TD for $1.25 million…A middle school coach could have taken advantage of this talent disparity…Yet here we are.
ND tried that back in the early 80's, it didn't turn out that well.

• Haha
Reactions: IrishLaker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT