ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman is a message board hire

shooter1977

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
Freeman is very impressive in interviews. And he did a nice job as defensive coordinator this season, similar to Elko and Lea, maybe not quite as good as Lea who had solid defenses throughout the season.

But Freeman is no where near ready to be head coach of ND. No other major program was considering him and Swarbrick bid against himself. It boggles the mind he didn’t go after Fickell or another proven head coach.

The recruiting fan boys (you know who I’m talking about) love this hire, which is a warning sign. So do the rah rah beat reporters like Sampson and Loy who struggle to see the forest from the tree’s. I’ll never understand the urgency to keep a couple high school recruits committed when you’re hiring a coach for the next decade. It’s shortsighted and the same trap USC and so many other AD’s have fallen into.

One of Lou Somogyi’s major rules in his lifetime of following Notre Dame football
was that no assistant coach has ever worked out as head coach at ND. He would always quote Ara and Bob Davie saying the same thing. Those who don’t remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Kelly had this program rolling, the infrastructure is as good as it’s been in 30 years, but predicting in 4-5 years Freeman will be an assistant coach in the NFL, and ND will be looking for a new coach to rebuild.

Really hope I’m wrong. I’m as diehard an ND fan as you’ll ever meet, but history and a lifetime of following college football tells me ND is about to regress.

Freeman is very impressive in interviews. And he did a nice job as defensive coordinator this season, similar to Elko and Lea, maybe not quite as good as Lea who had solid defenses throughout the season.

But Freeman is no where near ready to be head coach of ND. No other major program was considering him and Swarbrick bid against himself. It boggles the mind he didn’t go after Fickell or another proven head coach.

The recruiting fan boys (you know who I’m talking about) love this hire, which is a warning sign. So do the rah rah beat reporters like Sampson and Loy who struggle to see the forest from the tree’s. I’ll never understand the urgency to keep a couple high school recruits committed when you’re hiring a coach for the next decade. It’s shortsighted and the same trap USC and so many other AD’s have fallen into.

One of Lou Somogyi’s major rules in his lifetime of following Notre Dame football
was that no assistant coach has ever worked out as head coach at ND. He would always quote Ara and Bob Davie saying the same thing. Those who don’t remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Kelly had this program rolling, the infrastructure is as good as it’s been in 30 years, but predicting in 4-5 years Freeman will be an assistant coach in the NFL, and ND will be looking for a new coach to rebuild.

Really hope I’m wrong. I’m as diehard an ND fan as you’ll ever meet, but history and a lifetime of following college football tells me ND is about to regress.
You're wrong. Time will tell

You may very well be right. I have some reservations about Freeman but I’m hoping he learns from this past year and recruits lights out. I personally don’t care about the whole ND being different and it needs a guy with experience mantra. It needs a guy who can recruit and coach just like any other place.

It’s completely asinine to have the mentality of “it hasn’t worked in the past, thus it can never work.” That is just a weak, narrow minded mentality. You hire the person that you think is the best fit for the job. Period. Obsessing about the past is a big part of the reason why this freaking team has some of the struggles it has.

It’s completely asinine to have the mentality of “it hasn’t worked in the past, thus it can never work.” That is just a weak, narrow minded mentality. You hire the person that you think is the best fit for the job. Period. Obsessing about the past is a big part of the reason why this freaking team has some of the struggles it has.
Really well put. I never looked at it from the perspective before.

Reactions: Kelso86
How many mid-tier coaches with success go on to major programs only to sputter and never get their feet underneath them? Too many to recollect. How do we know Fickell isn't the next Scott Frost, Tom Herman, etc.

Dabo Swiney was a wide receivers coach who jumped to become head coach at age 40. How did that turn out?

The reality is no one can predict how Marcus Freeman will perform at ND. No one can predict how Luke Fickell would have performed at ND. No one can predict how BK will perform at LSU. It's all a crapshoot. We got lucky with BK 12 years ago. I haven't been the biggest BK fan because I thought a lot of times he was in over his head, but I am thankful he was able to resurrect the culture of ND football and turn it into what it is today.

Next man in. Focus on upsides. If you want to compete in today's game, you need to recruit. Freeman checks that box. He also has a way of building relationships with his players, the way Dabo does which is a big reason Dabo has had so much success at Clemson.

Let's ride this wave and hope for the best.

I think this hire is a reflection of the circumstances. Many of us wanted the continuity of the last 5 years and the current recruiting class. Say what you will about Kelly, but he left the program in very good shape. If this was a program in need of rebuilding, then yeah I doubt Freeman would be hired. Freeman I think is a boom or bust hire. I'm excited, but nervous for him as well. Let this all play out and we'll see what happens.

Reactions: 4-4-3
How many mid-tier coaches with success go on to major programs only to sputter and never get their feet underneath them? Too many to recollect. How do we know Fickell isn't the next Scott Frost, Tom Herman, etc.

Dabo Swiney was a wide receivers coach who jumped to become head coach at age 40. How did that turn out?

The reality is no one can predict how Marcus Freeman will perform at ND. No one can predict how Luke Fickell would have performed at ND. No one can predict how BK will perform at LSU. It's all a crapshoot. We got lucky with BK 12 years ago. I haven't been the biggest BK fan because I thought a lot of times he was in over his head, but I am thankful he was able to resurrect the culture of ND football and turn it into what it is today.

Next man in. Focus on upsides. If you want to compete in today's game, you need to recruit. Freeman checks that box. He also has a way of building relationships with his players, the way Dabo does which is a big reason Dabo has had so much success at Clemson.

Let's ride this wave and hope for the best.
I hear ya. I’m a positive person and hate to be down on a hire from day 1, but looking at Fickell’s record the guy can flat out coach.

4-8
11-3
11-2
10-1
12-0

You just wonder what Fickell is quietly thinking. Fwiw, I heard he wanted the ND job. Devout Catholic. He hired Freeman, and had great defenses with and without him.

Reactions: ohio1980 and LookZ
We should get our first look at spring ball. I would think he'll serve as head coach now. I expected loses against Ohio State and Clemson. I think we have a better shot winning those games now. New Coach with new strategies and approach. I am really looking forward to next season. I wish Coach Freeman all the Irish Luck in the world.

Maybe you're right. We're gonna find out. I think it was definitely a chance worth taking.

This is the 2nd coaching search for Swarbrick that wasn't really a search. First it was BK, no-brainer hire after the courtesy phone call to Bob Stoops was made...

And now Freeman. I just wonder what the contract terms are.

Reactions: rgc7

Funny that is exactly what people like you said about a WR coach at Clemson, He was 38, a good recruiter and a guy who the kids loved. He was promoted to HC and the rest is history.

I do understand your apprehension but I, like many of us, are up for the challenge. A BOLD choice like Dabo, or Lincoln -- and I think it will work out.

Suddenly stodgy old Notre Dame has the youngest coolest coaching staff in college football!

I hear ya. I’m a positive person and hate to be down on a hire from day 1, but looking at Fickell’s record the guy can flat out coach.

4-8
11-3
11-2
10-1
12-0

You just wonder what Fickell is quietly thinking. Fwiw, I heard he wanted the ND job. Devout Catholic. He hired Freeman, and had great defenses with and without him.
Truth is.. he wasn't going to be available for a couple of weeks. We lose our two classes, a bunch of players hit the portal and we're back to 2010.

None of those you mentioned ever came into a situation as solid as the one Freeman is inheriting.

Reactions: Kelso86

4-8
11-3
11-2
10-1
12-0

The time line just wasn't right. I'm hearing down here that Luke wouldn't even seriously consider the opportunity until his teams season played out. I can understand that but no top program can afford to wait in this day and age. There has to be some certainty to take care of everyday business. Can't keep everyone in limbo. Just can't.
Maybe you're right. We're gonna find out. I think it was definitely a chance worth taking.

This is the 2nd coaching search for Swarbrick that wasn't really a search. First it was BK, no-brainer hire after the courtesy phone call to Bob Stoops was made...

And now Freeman. I just wonder what the contract terms are.
I can tell you for a fact it wasn't a courtesy call. Far from it.

Reactions: Kelso86 and NDSMC78

4-8
11-3
11-2
10-1
12-0

Who cares what hes thinking

Truth is.. he wasn't going to be available for a couple of weeks. We lose our two classes, a bunch of players hit the portal and we're back to 2010.
If some players left, Fickell would have recruited others. It'd be a minor blip at worst. But you shouldn't let 18-20 year year kids dictate who you hire.

I hope Freeman kills it, really do. USC and Michigan fans are yucking it up today. Hopefully Freeman proves everyone wrong.

If some players left, Fickell would have recruited others. It'd be a minor blip at worst. But you shouldn't let 18-20 year year kids dictate who you hire.

I hope Freeman kills it, really do. USC and Michigan fans are yucking it up today. Hopefully Freeman proves everyone wrong.
Teams will fear Freeman more than Fickell. Fickell is BK 2.0

Freeman is dynamic

Reactions: jongon
The time line just wasn't right. I'm hearing down here that Luke wouldn't even seriously consider the opportunity until his teams season played out. I can understand that but no top program can afford to wait in this day and age. There has to be some certainty to take care of everyday business. Can't keep everyone in limbo. Just can't.

I can tell you for a fact it wasn't a courtesy call. Far from it.
Are you telling me that twelve years later, TWLEVE YEARS LATER, you are still obsessing over this shit???

Get a life, dude.....

I think it's too late for that where you're concerned. No wonder you guys all hate BK so much, holy shit.....

You could be totally right. It's definitely a gamble. And that's not a bad way to describe it, actually. A message board hire..... Very well put in fact.

But as far as a situation like this might go, Freeman looks like a good one to gamble on. That much its definitely fair, he's no Clay Helton. It would certainly represent some sort of poetic justice if this hire did flop for ND, given the public-execution style spectacle on these very message boards of BK's untimely departure from ND.

Not a very proud moment for the ND football community. Freeman must have a small lump in his throat seeing the way fans are devouring his former boss, knowing that could be him next. And all's he got to do avoid the same fate is to average 11-1 seasons over the next four years like his predecessor just did....

To those persistent whiny posters that are making Eeyore look like Jordan Belfort, take the words of Coach Norman Dale..

"I would hope you will support who we are and not who we are not."

Go IRISH!
#CoachFreeman

IF you want a picture of what ND would look like if they decided to wait for a coach like Fickell, look at Oklahoma -- they've already lost half of their recruiting class and players are hitting the portal. Your solution would have had us going back to square one.

But I see what you are doing.... You are loading up the gun for the first time we don't get a 3rd and 2.

Imagine this -- Freeman's first three games as a coach could be:

#1 Georgie
#2 Michigan
#(1 or 2, we'lll see) OSU

Be careful what you wish for... It will be baptism under fire for Marcus, but

I'M ALL IN! I'M GOING ALL BODI ON THIS HIRE!

If the reason to hire MF was rooted in keeping the class together, we’ll that’s just an awful decision

So you think Freeman is a message board hire but part of your reservation on Freeman is that Michigan & USC fans are yucking it up on the message boards. Interesting thought process.

There’s only one guarantee … he won’t win any less National Championshops or NY6 bowls than his predecessor.
Right. And so if he goes 9-3 for the next four years, then what?

It's true about ND fans, it really is, it is a fair statement.... ND fans don't want to win. Winning is incidental. They might want to talk about winning...

But that's where it ends. That's all really ND fans want is to talk. Talk and talk and talk and talk.... And frankly it's boring to talk about winning. The only fun for you guys is repeatedly, almost ritually tearing into the negative. And then when your bluff is actually called, nervously convincing yourselves that everything's going to be awesome, and your old coach really was bad.

And eventually you'll just move on to the next one, and then rinse and repeat or however the expression goes...

If the reason to hire MF was rooted in keeping the class together, we’ll that’s just an awful decision
It wasnt. Id say Dabo, Ryan Day, Riley recent success as young 1st time coaches at major programs played a role. Then the staff, players, alumni rallying around Freeman & im sure Swarbrick's own interactions with Freeman were the main reasons. Keeping a top 5 class together played a part but wasnt the only reason.

So you think Freeman is a message board hire but part of your reservation on Freeman is that Michigan & USC fans are yucking it up on the message boards. Interesting thought process.
WTF are you talking about, how did he contradict himself? What's wrong with his thought process?

ND is taking a big effin' gamble, the OP is merely acknowledging that. We have a totally unproven coach and this could end up being a disastrous hire. Of course Michigan and USC are going to snicker. Just a few days ago we were at the top of the football world, now everything is in doubt for ND. We will likely salvage this recruiting class, and that will be swell....

Then what??? Calling this a message board hire is actually perfect. Nobody on these boards hired shit, but it somehow does quite nicely capture the moment.....

per UDub board, BK interviewed there in 2008! Seems he really got around.

My preferred choice was Fickell as well. I’m happy with the Freeman hire though. It’s definitely a gamble, but it could pay off huge.
If NY6 and CFP bowl wins are the goals, we haven’t lost anything and have everything to gain with this hire. 10-11 win seasons are fine, but if you never come close to achieving the stated goals it’s pointless to continue down the same path.

Jack's not that stupid. Neither are most ADs. Nobody hires a coach based on one recruiting class.

I don't mean to be malicious with my response but....

No shit?!?

Freeman might be a bad hire or catch lightning in a bottle. He hasn't officially coached one game yet from the con. Let's see what happens.

As far as BK and the program rolling...let's not overstate.

What has BK won? BK in 12 years had 1...i repeat ONE top 5 win. At home during a weird Covid season against a #2 QB.

Major bowl win? No
Playoff win? No
Not even competitive in either of those two stages.

Still searching for one of the above two with major Bowl dating back to 1994 Cotton (93 season)...
At Notre Dame mind you. 28 years and counting.

BK had the program rolling today compared to his 4-8 season of 2016...

But the program isn't rolling when talking about elite teams around the country.

Freeman might not win a title but I bet he wins more than one top 5 matchup in 12 years and who knows...maybe a playoff game or major bowl. God forbid

Are you telling me that twelve years later, TWLEVE YEARS LATER, you are still obsessing over this shit???

Get a life, dude.....

I think it's too late for that where you're concerned. No wonder you guys all hate BK so much, holy shit.....
Just trying to set the record straight.

You sound like someone with an IQ north of 135. As well-reasoned a case for not hiring Freeman as I’ve seen here. And I’m with you on about 95% of it.

Some additional points I’ve thought about based on some – though NOT ALL – of your comments:

• Whenever you see such universal euphoria and positive emoting over something that should be approached on a highly rational basis, you know people are betting with their hearts not their heads. It’s a dead giveaway. This is a feel good story people are INSISTING they tell themselves. Anyone standing in the way of it needs to realize that they’re staring down a runaway FREIGHT TRAIN. The flip side, of course, is that any sharp REVERSAL OF FORTUNE here will make for ONE ANGRY TRAIN WRECK.
  • I don’t think Swarbrick made a decision so much as he was FORCED into making the one he made. The PERCEPTION was that he couldn’t let this recruiting class and the next one fall apart. It would have been the equivalent of losing TOO MUCH CAPITAL in a share market. Besides, he doesn’t have to wait FIVE YEARS to ax Freeman if he doesn’t work out. The movement of coaches AND players is about to become BREATHTAKINGLY FLUID. The way things are TRENDING, you may see a coach fired after ONE BAD GAME.
  • I don’t know where things stood with Fickell who was my own hands-down choice. Question is, aside from ND’s view of him – whatever it was – would he have been willing to PULL A KELLY? Leave his team in the lurch on the verge of possibly winning an NC? And would ND have ASKED HIM TO, thereby losing the HIGH MORAL GROUND it found itself standing on given Kelly’s fandango? And, yes, this is an ethical question. Because in situations like this, LYING can quickly become the order of the day and all decisions largely commercial IF YOU ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN.
  • Then there’s the entire social/cultural/justice issue, for which I’m sure I’ll be attacked over for bringing up. But was ND looking to strike a blow for EQUITY? And/or did it fear being labeled RACIST or CANCELLED if it DIDN’T PROMOTE FREEMAN? Though more muted at the time, both of these issues were HOVERING IN THE AIR with Willingham – both as respects his hiring AND firing. To put it bluntly, was ND afraid of losing the TEAM if Freeman wasn’t hired? To say that none of this couldn’t have POSSIBLY CROSSED ND’S BRAIN TRUST'S MINDS strikes me as EXTREMELY NAÏVE. Race is still the elephant in the room, and yet we punish ourselves BOTH FOR CONFRONTING IT AND NOT CONFRONTING IT. So then, did ND just CONFRONT IT, DODGE IT or simply TAKE A KNEE?
  • Yet, regardless of ANY of these considerations, the ONE THING THAT SWARBRICK DID NOT BASE HIS DECISION ON is Freeman’s WON-LOSS RECORD AS A HEAD COACH. Because there isn’t any won-loss record. So, in PURELY PRAGMATIC TERMS this is a HOPE-BASED, PURE-FAITH HIRE with a lot of people looking for what they consider to be some LONG-OVERDUE, RIGHTEOUS OUTCOME. Will that happen? Who knows? But regardless of how it turns out, I strongly believe that Kelly forced ND into having to make a decision it had NO INTENTION, DEISRE or EXPECTATION of making. ND’s HAND HAS BEEN FORCED HERE. We’ll see how what’s basically a SHOTGUN MARRIAGE turns out.
  • One afterthought concerning Kelly's decision -- Did he think he'd already lost the team to Freeman? And that the loyalty was already flowing in that direction? I wonder. After all, the coaches are staying with Freeman. Did Kelly view him as a rival or even usurper? Was Kelly's ego a factor?

WTF are you talking about, how did he contradict himself? What's wrong with his thought process?

ND is taking a big effin' gamble, the OP is merely acknowledging that. We have a totally unproven coach and this could end up being a disastrous hire. Of course Michigan and USC are going to snicker. Just a few days ago we were at the top of the football world, now everything is in doubt for ND. We will likely salvage this recruiting class, and that will be swell....

Then what??? Calling this a message board hire is actually perfect. Nobody on these boards hired shit, but it somehow does quite nicely capture the moment.....
ND is taking the same calculated risk that Clemson took with Dabo, that Ohio St took with Day, that Oklahoma took Riley.
I know it's gonna hard to remove your BK picture from your handle but you gotta get over the grief & move on Savy. Freeman is your daddy now.

Every HC hire is a risk … they will all do it their own way, they will all learn on the job. The precious head coach certainly did. Go Irish.

Reactions: FightingIrish44

I think its more because that recruiting class is mostly here because of Freeman to begin with. Which should tell you something about the man. Kids are chosing ND because of him, which sounds like a good thing for a head coach to have. It may be a risky hire, but some risks are easier to take than others. This is a risk worth taking imo.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

doubt that. ND's rivals were hoping they would go for Fickell. They know they will lose a lot of recruiting battles with Freeman.

I was stumping for Fickell myself, but I think Freeman is Captain Charisma. He might be something special.

USC has been a dumpster fire for a decade, and Michigan was ready to fire their coach because he was 0-9 and their biggest rival, and those are the 2 schools you rely on to determine our success. I don't know if you pay attention, but we've been a laughing stock for the last decade, because we always poop the bed against a good team. This isn't the ND of old, nor is CFB the same, and maybe its time they took a risk.

Reactions: TXNDFan88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT