ADVERTISEMENT

Eichenberg Is Irish.

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!! Go Irish!!!!!

uzi.r191677.gif

he is rated my most experts at being top ten nationally at his position. if we can get the kid from Wisconsin who loved his visit a week or so ago then we'll have the top o-line class in the country which includes the 5 star from cincy that we got a ways back

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed we'd pull the #1 and #2 ranked OL out of Ohio. That's impressive.

Yes, Harry's da man. His recruiting success continues at an exceptional level. Thought Lemming's comments about Eichenberg were very interesting.

looking for the new addition on the commit list, i noticed that Rivals has Tony Jones at 3* and a shocking RR of 5.6! this will change; he will get a big bump at the next release!

yes pers tony jones will get a bunp as he has been impressing everybody at the different camps that he's been going to this spring. I think he won mvp for rbs at one or two camps

again if we get WI OT ben bredeson on board then we'll have the top o-line class in the country. bredeson is a top 7 rated OT that has us and home state school wiscy as his two favorites

Perse, I don't track stars after a recruit is on the team, but I know you and Sal pay some attention to this and you have your statistical benchmark of star rating average that you believe is essential to competing at the elite level. You recently stated that the offense will be elite this year, and I agree; and I'm curious how the offense average star rating a stack up. Do you know?

Gotta love what BK and HH having been doing along the OL the last three years. That's how you build consistency!

I always thought Matt James would have been right up there with Zach Martin -- that was such a tragedy. Always Irish, MJ.

a while back beach and i discussed the class rating (Rivals) that will eventually get you into national contention: it was 3.67 on the Star rating.
My observation is you want starters at 5.9 and greater; there will be lower rated players always, but they need to be exceptions ( found gems)
Without even looking the Offense looks above 3.67. The RB's are Bryant (5)and Folston (4) with Procise the lowest at 3. EG was 3* and the OL is definately close to 4*; WR has been close to 4* each class.; and we know ND is TE U !

Yes the Offense looks to have gotten to the talent level to contend at the Top 7-12 level; maybe better depending on QB play and coaching.

Originally posted by NewHampshireIrish:
Snagging the top two OL prospects out of Ohio has to leave Urban feeling mighty upset! GO ND!!!!!
Urban had a pretty good weekend - I think they landed 5 commitments this weekend.

GO IRISH !

Considering Michigan, Neb and OSU have all won NCs since ND's last NC - you're not owning the Midwest anytime soon. Neb and OSU have won multiple NCs since ND's last dream season.

Funny you want to suddenly "own the Midwest" despite many of your fans mocking it for many years now - you'll be in the ACC sooner rather than later.

OSU doesn't need all the Ohio players & once Harbaugh gets things running in Ann Arbor, ND will be distant 4th or maybe even 5th in terms of a Midwestern power.

Hire a better coach & I might share some of your hope - a much better coach.

even though they don't directly say it I think jimmysfly is jealous over us getting eichenberg. and there really desperate to say anything bad about our irish when they say we'll be a distant 4th or 5th power wise in the Midwest once harbaugh gets things going in ann arbor
This post was edited on 4/20 12:11 AM by coolirish9

^^^^ Hey dumbie, scUM has been and always will be second fiddle to ND. ND is the only school that recruits nationwide. ND will always pluck a couple student-athletes from Indiana and Ohio.

What's with the Nebraska reference? When they were great they were in the Big 12 not the Crappy 10.

UM and Neb just fired their HC's. And we are talking '16 recruiting and just '16. If ND lands the Top 2 in Ind then getting all your Top targets is as good as it gets. Neb. ? seriously?

"Snagging the top two OL prospects out of Ohio has to leave Urban feeling mighty upset! GO ND!!!!! "

Possibly. But after this weekend's haul, something tells me he got over it pretty quick. OSU's 2016 class will definitely be at least top 5 next February and our 2017 class could rival the 1967 class as the best in school history. The kids that have already committed and that we're still in on in 2017 is mind-boggling. Something tells me Urban will survive.

^ agree it is a silly argument. Urban Meyer is probably or arguably among the top 3 recruiters in CF.

I think ND fans are enthusiastic that the identified targets are in; AND, IF ND can repeat that success in it's home state of Ind. then the targets that were identified early in the process would be the major component to this class.

tOSU certainly also had a terrific weekend, no doubt.

This post was edited on 4/20 6:53 AM by perseverare

Actually, if you look at the 247 rankings, ND has six commits and OSU has 12. Multiply ND's total points by 2 and you have a slightly better score than OSU at this point. Both classes are going to be top ten and will be very close to each other in the final standings.

Much too early to put any stock in 2017 commitments. If you don't know that by know, you just started following recruiting.

Congratulations to the two top o-linemen in the state of Ohio. They picked ND for all the right reasons.

This post was edited on 4/20 8:26 AM by mokpra

I understand what you're say R1950 but it is posters like jimmysfly who just don't get it. jimmysfly is so overly upset about the buckeyes not getting a top recruit in there own back yard that he has to come over to our board and bash our school and coaching. again I understand what you're saying about meyer basically moving on but a few of you're bad apple fans like jimmysfly just don't get that. a few years back our irish lost out to the tar heels on a top o-line recruit from plainfeild I believe near indy and I was a little upset but quickly got over it and never bashed the tar heels for it

When ND picks up important 3rd and short as well as punching the ball in the end zone vs high level competition I will then say kudos to coach Heistand .

I love the direction of the program -- our ground game seems to be the biggest ???

As I said last week it is time for recruiting rankings to align themselves w performance on the field . I'm confident that they will

I have to agree that getting any commit is a 'team' effort: staff, players and faculty; but there is no denying that OL recruiting w/HH has been 'hot'.

Not trying to belittle the Eichenberg committment at all. You guys beat us out for him. Nice job and I wish the kid nothing but the best. He looks like he's could be a good one, a very good one.

But OL is the one position that gets me scratching my head sometimes. I've been following the Buckeyes since the early 60s and can't tell you the number of highly rated OLs that basically rode the pine while at OSU. Perfect example: last year's right side of OSU's NC OL line - Boren. Elflein, and Baldwin. All were 3-stars out of HS. Boren and Elflein weren't recruited by hardly any other major schools but yet they beat out more highly-rated 4 and 5 star lineman. People were bitching about them when they committed, And man, our we glad now to have both of them returning this year. I think it's more about development with the OL than any other position.

I will give you guys a lot of credit though. You're probably the only school that can come into Ohio an pull out HS players that OSU is after and that usually happens at a Catholic HS. Your outstanding academics and of course you tradition both plays a part in their decisions. Hey, it happens. We've been doing the same to the Texas and Florida schools a lot lately. Big gets in both Kraemer (sp?) and Eichenberg. Congrats !

Originally posted by R1950:
Not trying to belittle the Eichenberg committment at all. You guys beat us out for him. Nice job and I wish the kid nothing but the best. He looks like he's could be a good one, a very good one.

But OL is the one position that gets me scratching my head sometimes. I've been following the Buckeyes since the early 60s and can't tell you the number of highly rated OLs that basically rode the pine while at OSU. Perfect example: last year's right side of OSU's NC OL line - Boren. Elflein, and Baldwin. All were 3-stars out of HS. Boren and Elflein weren't recruited by hardly any other major schools but yet they beat out more highly-rated 4 and 5 star lineman. People were bitching about them when they committed, And man, our we glad now to have both of them returning this year. I think it's more about development with the OL than any other position.

I will give you guys a lot of credit though. You're probably the only school that can come into Ohio an pull out HS players that OSU is after and that usually happens at a Catholic HS. Your outstanding academics and of course you tradition both plays a part in their decisions. Hey, it happens. We've been doing the same to the Texas and Florida schools a lot lately. Big gets in both Kraemer (sp?) and Eichenberg. Congrats !
Agree on your take on OL guys . I think effort - intensity trumps star ratings re OL --if you have both your a star

No kid coming out of HS will translate to being a high level OLinemen unless he has a serious dose of Eye of the Tiger and healthy chip on his shoulder .

No kid coming out of HS will translate to being a high level OLinemen unless he has a serious dose of Eye of the Tiger and healthy chip on his shoulder .

Bingo ! Well put. Perfect example is our center Boren. They list the kid as 6'1" and 285. I doubt if he's that. I know he isn't 6'1", maybe 5'11". Basically he's a runt/midget compared to our other offensive linemen. But he comes out of the huddle spitting nails. Urban has said many times that he'd go to war with that kid. I''ve watched the replay of the Alabama/OSU Sugar Bowl several times now (of course) and focused on the interior line play and the job that runt did on the 8 to 9 man-deep, NFL-type Alabama defensive line was over the top, unbelievable. Keep in mind, they shredded that defense to the tune of 280 something yards rushing and most of that can be attributed to the 3-star interior line play, kids that people bitched about out of HS.

But yeah, you're dead on about the eye of the tiger/healthy chip statement. I agree 100%

To continually's point, if we can't consistently get the tough short yardage first downs and punch it in, then we'll all be questioning Harry's coaching with the OL talent and experience we have this year. Of course, Kelly has to show confidence in his line early and often.

Bingo ! Well put. Perfect example is our center Boren. They list the kid as 6'1" and 285. I doubt if he's that. I know he isn't 6'1", maybe 5'11". Basically he's a runt/midget compared to our other offensive linemen. But he comes out of the huddle spitting nails. Urban has said many times that he'd go to war with that kid. I''ve watched the replay of the Alabama/OSU Sugar Bowl several times now (of course) and focused on the interior line play and the job that runt did on the 8 to 9 man-deep, NFL-type Alabama defensive line was over the top, unbelievable. Keep in mind, they shredded that defense to the tune of 280 something yards rushing and most of that can be attributed to the 3-star interior line play, kids that people bitched about out of HS.

But yeah, you're dead on about the eye of the tiger/healthy chip statement. I agree 100%
Spoke to a OL from BC ten yrs ago -- he basically said that the OL on ND under Weis were pussies .

Highly rated but it didn't translate . The only thing I remember about Sam Young were some timely offensive holding penalties in the 4th qtr

The BC kid went on to say that ND was percieved to be a school that recruited star rankings rather than players -- you need both .

This post was edited on 4/20 12:26 PM by continuallyirish

This quote says it all:

"I decided on Notre Dame mainly because of the academics,"[/B] Eichenberg said Sunday afternoon after announcing his commitment on Twitter. "I could not pass up the academics along with Coach Hiestand. I have a great relationship with him."

To OSU's credit, it seems their recent hero was upset about going to class (but that should be clear to the player during the recruiting process which it is at ND): "Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS,"

In these days when even NFL players are cutting their careers short because of fear of lasting brain injuries, the degree is going to become more and more important. The kids who recognize this decide on schools where the degree -- and I mean a real degree in a serious major -- takes precedence are going to take a good look at schools like ND and Standford.

HH understands this (he is selling this) and is doing a great job and has been our best recruiter during the past three years.

By the way 24/7 has both of our OL recruits much higher -- #3 and #11.

"I decided on Notre Dame mainly because of the academics," Eichenberg said Sunday afternoon after announcing his commitment on Twitter. "I could not pass up the academics along with Coach Hiestand. I have a great relationship with him."

Again, congratulations on Eichenberg. Great pickup for the Irish. I hear he has a nnasty streak which we talked abbout earlier. But you're also leaving out the statement made in his early recruiting about looking at the depth charts. OSU is probably done for the year with 2 OL. They already had a commitment from T. Gerald who transferred from Ohio to IMG powerhouse in Florida and would have taken both Kraemer and Eichenberg if both wanted to come. That's it. They're OL roster next year is stacked. They'll have 17 scholarship OL on the 2015/2016 roster.

Last year's OL 2014 commits - RS Frosh - Sophs (5): Trout, Taylor, Knox, M. Jones. J. Jones. If you really want to look at rankings, all were 4 & 5 stars on at least a service or two except Taylor (3 star).

This year's OL (incoming frosh) 2015 commits (6) - incoming frosh; Schmidt, Prince, Jurkovic, Feder, Burrell, Bowen. All were 4 or 5 stars on at least one service except Jurkovic (3 star).

That's eleven players next year who, for the most part, are new to the program

Great for the kid. He's going to the school of his choice. But believe me, the OL was not a main OSU priority this year and you can bet Eichenberg picked up on the depth. Plus, I'm not sure what he'll be majoring in. Maybe ND has a better program tha OSU. But you ought to present all of the facts. Oh, BTW, our OL line coach Ed Warriner, isn't exactly chopped liver.

OSU loses like 7 guys on the line after this year and those are just Seniors not including anyone who could leave early. I don't think you have as much depth as you think you do.

This post was edited on 4/20 2:40 PM by XGoIrishX

This post was edited on 4/20 2:40 PM by XGoIrishX

OSU loses like 7 guys on the line after this year and those are just Seniors not including anyone who could leave early. I don't think you have as much depth as you think you do.

7 ? Oh really ? Who are they ? I count Decker, Boren, and projected starting RG, 5th year senior Chase Farris as leaving. The other two starters Price (frosh) and Elflein (soph) both have at least 2 years left. I did not include incoming freshman Josh Alibi because they're not sure how they'll use him - offense or defense. If you do the math, adding Price, Elflein and possibly Alibi to the previous eleven young young ones mentioned in my previous post and that's 14. Add the 2 recruits of 2016 that takes us up to 16 for the 2016-2017 season which is still a lot of OL on scholarship. During that 2016-2017 season, Elflein will be the only senior. Anyway you want to spin it, that's an incredible amount of young talent. Plus, we have Josh Myers - the no.2 overall national recruit on 247 - already committed for the 2017 class. We're also gaing ground on the 5-star IMG Florida 2017 recruit - can't think of his name - but I think FSU wins out for his services.

I guess my point is that yeah, you pulled both Kraemer and Eichenberg away from OSU. Great job ! But we're not exactly the sisters of the poor when it comes to OL talent and depth.

"I decided on Notre Dame mainly because of the academics," Eichenberg said Sunday afternoon after announcing his commitment on Twitter. "I could not pass up the academics along with Coach Hiestand. I have a great relationship with him."

Again, congratulations on Eichenberg. Great pickup for the Irish. I hear he has a nnasty streak which we talked abbout earlier. But you're also leaving out the statement made in his early recruiting about looking at the depth charts. OSU is probably done for the year with 2 OL. They already had a commitment from T. Gerald who transferred from Ohio to IMG powerhouse in Florida and would have taken both Kraemer and Eichenberg if both wanted to come. That's it. They're OL roster next year is stacked. They'll have 17 scholarship OL on the 2015/2016 roster.

Last year's OL 2014 commits - RS Frosh - Sophs (5): Trout, Taylor, Knox, M. Jones. J. Jones. If you really want to look at rankings, all were 4 & 5 stars on at least a service or two except Taylor (3 star).

This year's OL (incoming frosh) 2015 commits (6) - incoming frosh; Schmidt, Prince, Jurkovic, Feder, Burrell, Bowen. All were 4 or 5 stars on at least one service except Jurkovic (3 star).

That's eleven players next year who, for the most part, are new to the program

Great for the kid. He's going to the school of his choice. But believe me, the OL was not a main OSU priority this year and you can bet Eichenberg picked up on the depth. Plus, I'm not sure what he'll be majoring in. Maybe ND has a better program tha OSU. But you ought to present all of the facts. Oh, BTW, our OL line coach Ed Warriner, isn't exactly chopped liver.
All in-coming Freshman at Notre Dame take the same required courses. No exceptions. We don't have easy majors at ND.

That is why ND football players can sometimes struggle (and yes, try to cut corners) early in their careers at the Dome. I don't mean to sound smug, I really don't but there is no free lunch at ND.

I know OSU is a serious academic University. Would never put them down. And hey, you guys just won a natty -- congrats. But our kids 1) room with fellow students -- we don't have athletic dorms 2) they have the same academia requirements and GE classes... 3) chose between the college of arts and letters, pre-med, business school, engineering, etc.

It is tough for all of our athletes.

And Ed W is a great coach -- I would never say anything else. It hurt when we lost him to Urban. Thankfully, BK found HH.

You'll never hear me say anything derogatory about ND academics. Top notch school. One of the best. But if you travel around the other boards, quite a few people take shots at BIG schools like OSU and if you really do the research, all BIG schools are outstanding academically. Up to ND, Northwestern and even Michigan (Man I hate saying that) standards ? Probably not but still not too shabby. I have a cousin from Chicago that graduated from ND and man, do we go back and forth sometimes about the football programs (in fun, good nature). I graduated from OSU many, many years ago with a BSME.

But it sure would be great to see the two schools open up a series with each other. No doubt where ESPN gameday would camp at that Saturday.

Do you guys ever see ND joining a conference for football ?

You'll never hear me say anything derogatory about ND academics. Top notch school. One of the best. But if you travel around the other boards, quite a few people take shots at BIG schools like OSU and if you really do the research, all BIG schools are outstanding academically. Up to ND, Northwestern and even Michigan (Man I hate saying that) standards ? Probably not but still not too shabby. I have a cousin from Chicago that graduated from ND and man, do we go back and forth sometimes about the football programs (in fun, good nature). I graduated from OSU many, many years ago with a BSME.

But it sure would be great to see the two schools open up a series with each other. No doubt where ESPN gameday would camp at that Saturday.

Do you guys ever see ND joining a conference for football ?
Don't put Michigan in the same class academically as ND.

I don't want ND to turn into outlaw u -- but frankly on Sat afternoons re GPA's the only numbers that matter are on the scoreboard.

This post was edited on 4/20 5:00 PM by continuallyirish

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT