ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointing Class

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
Not a bad class, just disappointing with the success we've had over the last few years, and how well we've done this year.

I get it as well as anyone that ND isn't for everyone. But we missed on our #1 and #2 options at so many positions.

We have really missed so far on

CB
DE
TE
RB

Riley will be a safety I bet so I'm not counting him with the CBs. It's alarming our CB recruiting the last few years.

Estime will help if we land him at RB.

I don't think either of our TEs are very good.

All the DEs are huge projects, and only 1 (good one) DT/NG.

I do really like our WRs, we got our QB that was targeted, OL, LBs, and safeties.

Here’s what I see. ND has signed a very talented group who wants to be at ND. Many of the really elite players are eyeing the NFL and what environment that will help them get there. In my mind, ND is one of those teams. However, you’re going to have to go to class and take some tough classes. Maybe that scares off some kids. I’m not sure. Either way, this is a talented class and I’m glad they are all in for the Irish.

Notre Dame currently has a top 10 class, that's with a potential commitment from top 150 Estime in the near future.

The problem is that some of you expect too much, with the restrictions Notre Dame will never pull in top 3 classes on a consistent basis like Bama and others. They aren't a football factory so no use treating them like one.

Also lol at us missing our 1 and 2 options.

You think Fisher, Spindler, Colzie, Styles, Kollie, Thomas, Buchner, Rubio, Johnson, Riley, Berrong, Barnes, Diggs ect... were number 2 options?

I was disappointed in last year's class more the numbers than anything else but this class is legit.

It is always such an football educational experience, when you have chodes, who have likely never played or coached a down of football in their lives.

Come on here and declare on signing day whether a class has been successful or disappointing. SInce none of these signees have attended one practice or participated in one drill at ND. What analytics are you using to back up your statement

1. Quija Board?
or
2. Magic 8 ball?

The reality is you would not know the difference between a HS recruit and a coffee table. But thanks for the entertainment.

Notre Dame currently has a top 10 class, that's with a potential commitment from top 150 Estime in the near future.

The problem is that some of you expect too much, with the restrictions Notre Dame will never pull in top 3 classes on a consistent basis like Bama and others. They aren't a football factory so no use treating them like oneyp.

That is definitely fair to say. Maybe next year we'll get a blockbuster class on the heels of another playoff appearance.

But overall, a class like this one is and I figure will be fairly typical. Plus you don't get a chance to sign Ron Powlus III every day!

We didn't finish with the flash that perhaps we thought was possible (Gilliam, Edwards, etc.).

However, all in all, it is a solid class that is going to win A LOT of games.

Plus, I think we will get our true return from our success on the field in 2022.

Notre Dame will get 1 or 2 players a class that will contribute as Freshman(Hamilton,Tyree, Mayer). For the most part, you’re going to see 4 and 3 star recruits and they will develop them. They develop their players as good as any coaching staff in the country. They recruit players that fit the system and utilize their strengths. These recruiting classes are not meant to be immediate impact players all the time. You’ll see these kids as Juniors and Seniors contributing and making plays as you see now. Then rinse and repeat. This has been the formula and is very likely going to continue to be.

The pool of recruits who both qualify for and are able to actually ATTEND ND is not that big when you are talking 4 and 5 stars.

Which is why we will never get the top Class in the Nation or even come close. AS LONG AS we are around 10th or so we are OK. Now we DO need to keep working hard at the skill positions.

Notre Dame pulled in a top 10 class in a year in which hardly any of these kids took official visits. They got 24 kids from 11 different states. This was a huge accomplishment by ND! And I bet some of the tactics they had to use this year will only help them in the future as they continue to recruit nation wide.

I think that it is fair to point out that defensive end recruiting hasn’t been as high as we would like though. 1 4 star D end in two years won’t cut it. I‘m not worried about defensive backs though. They have a type that they go after now and they just need 1-2 a year to hit.

Not a bad class, just disappointing with the success we've had over the last few years, and how well we've done this year.

I get it as well as anyone that ND isn't for everyone. But we missed on our #1 and #2 options at so many positions.

CB
DE
TE
RB

Riley will be a safety I bet so I'm not counting him with the CBs. It's alarming our CB recruiting the last few years.

No way not to look at RB as a huge miss. Not sure who's decision it was to go all in on Shipley but that was. A huge mistake. It's likely we could have had edwards early if we hadn't been so miopic.

Losing diggs would be especially crushing. No way not to look at RB recruiting as a total failure. I get swinging for the fences but we should pull a mid level 4 star every year.

I do really like our WRs, we got our QB that was targeted, OL, LBs, and safeties.
I like Chance Tucker to be a very good cb for ND. Not the numbers we need but I think we got a good one in Tucker.

We were due a depth class and this is it. I trust elston in developing the dline. He's getting guys that fit a profile and building waves of dline men to send in. Confident we are fine here.

TEs are definitely more brock wright then mini gronk but we have done fine here and have mini gronk for two more years. We need the blocking tes and got them.

Reactions: Golson5

The problem is that some of you expect too much, with the restrictions Notre Dame will never pull in top 3 classes on a consistent basis like Bama and others. They aren't a football factory so no use treating them like one.

Also lol at us missing our 1 and 2 options.

You think Fisher, Spindler, Colzie, Styles, Kollie, Thomas, Buchner, Rubio, Johnson, Riley, Berrong, Barnes, Diggs ect... were number 2 options?

I was disappointed in last year's class more the numbers than anything else but this class is legit.
Berrong shouldn't have been a #1-5 options, diggs was about #5 option, Barnes was down the list

No reason ND can bring in good WR classes but not good DB classes.

It is always such an football educational experience, when you have chodes, who have likely never played or coached a down of football in their lives.

Come on here and declare on signing day whether a class has been successful or disappointing. SInce none of these signees have attended one practice or participated in one drill at ND. What analytics are you using to back up your statement

1. Quija Board?
or
2. Magic 8 ball?

The reality is you would not know the difference between a HS recruit and a coffee table. But thanks for the entertainment.
When you miss on option 1, 2, 3, 4 on key positions of need you have a right to be disappointed. Not one really good corner, at a position we are hurting at. Average TEs when we're considered TEU. Estime is needed for RB. Missed on every main choice for DE. Don't expect a perfect class or to hit every number one option. We landed some studs in this class, and had A LOT of misses at positions of need.

The pool of recruits who both qualify for and are able to actually ATTEND ND is not that big when you are talking 4 and 5 stars.

Which is why we will never get the top Class in the Nation or even come close. AS LONG AS we are around 10th or so we are OK. Now we DO need to keep working hard at the skill positions.
Not true. THe pool is very big of players that can qualify, the pool gets small quick when it comes to players that actually want to take legit courses and attend ND.

I like Chance Tucker to be a very good cb for ND. Not the numbers we need but I think we got a good one in Tucker.

We were due a depth class and this is it. I trust elston in developing the dline. He's getting guys that fit a profile and building waves of dline men to send in. Confident we are fine here.

TEs are definitely more brock wright then mini gronk but we have done fine here and have mini gronk for two more years. We need the blocking tes and got them.
I like Tucker, but not at CB, I see safety for sure.

Notre Dame will get 1 or 2 players a class that will contribute as Freshman(Hamilton,Tyree, Mayer). For the most part, you’re going to see 4 and 3 star recruits and they will develop them. They develop their players as good as any coaching staff in the country. They recruit players that fit the system and utilize their strengths. These recruiting classes are not meant to be immediate impact players all the time. You’ll see these kids as Juniors and Seniors contributing and making plays as you see now. Then rinse and repeat. This has been the formula and is very likely going to continue to be.

I would guess that in general (sans injuries, early departures, grades, off field problems and the like) 90% of CFB teams do it this way.

That is definitely fair to say. Maybe next year we'll get a blockbuster class on the heels of another playoff appearance.

But overall, a class like this one is and I figure will be fairly typical. Plus you don't get a chance to sign Ron Powlus III every day!

So if we acknowledge your attempted hilaritywith the Ron Powlus III joke, this second time, will we be okay to move on? 🤞 😜

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
“I do (think top-five classes are possible) now," Kelly said when asked about Notre Dame's ceiling on the recruiting trail. "I've changed. We're going to change the way we do some things that I think will allow us to do that."
Yep. ND isn't going to have top 5 year in and year out but they need to sprinkle some home run classes in. We have just missed too much at important positions the last few years. Then also poorly recruited/evaluated the QB position. I just don't see clark or Pyne being close to ready next year.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Berrong shouldn't have been a #1-5 options, diggs was about #5 option, Barnes was down the list

Barnes is extremely underrated. Hes a good player. So is Tucker. So is Riley. Johnson has potential.

Reactions: DublinND

Ryan Barnes is massively underrated and Phillip Riley is a top 300ish 4* recruit. They've never landed 5* corners on a consistent basis but those are pretty damn good players.

Also lol at you claiming top 250 4* Berrong was Notre Dame's 5th option? After all the TEs they've put in the NFL and they have a true freshman right now that looks like potentially the best TE in Notre Dame history.

I trust this coaching staff (especially at the tight end position) far more than some idiot on a message board. Quit bitching just to bitch.

CB
DE
TE
RB

Couldn't disagree more.

CB
DE
TE
RB

Cane Berrong is a 3* on Rivals; only Rivals. When he gets projected as a 2nd round pick I'm looking forward to hearing about Coach Rees's amazing ability to develop 3 star players into NFL millionaires.

• Haha
Reactions: SIhoosier26
Like I've said before....There are many people here who look for rain on a bright sunny day. This staff has demonstrated many times their ability to coach these young athletes up. This coaching staff has gone after top recruits; it's up to the young men to choose their school. Jesus said many centuries ago...Many are called but only a few follow the narrow path.

Like I've said before....There are many people here who look for rain on a bright sunny day. This staff has demonstrated many times their ability to coach these young athletes up. This coaching staff has gone after top recruits; it's up to the young men to choose their school. Jesus said many centuries ago...Many are called but only a few follow the narrow path.

Besides that, it looks like a typical ND/BK recruiting class, no different really than any in the last four years. And I'm pretty sure were getting ready to get into our 2nd playoff field in the last three years.

So I think everything's pretty good. No real complaints. Other than RB, if we end up with none.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Kelly said he expects us to sign 2 RBs and 1 more DB. Possibly the 2 rbs by Friday

CB
DE
TE
RB

I shocked you aren't happy with the class. 🙄

CB
DE
TE
RB

Another day, another post from Eeyore..........

1. Quija Board?
or
2. Magic 8 ball?

The only thing more annoying than a conceited fan is one who uses Ad-Hominem attacks instead of arguments. According to your logic, essentially nobody here should be allowed to weigh in on the forums anymore, thus the forums should be permanently closed.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
The only thing more annoying than a conceited fan is one who uses Ad-Hominem attacks instead of arguments. According to your logic, essentially nobody here should be allowed to weigh in on the forums anymore, thus the forums should be permanently closed.
Lighten up Francis. Nasty has never posted a positive post about ND football. He thinks he is the brightest guy in the room which he is only when he is alone.

Lighten up Francis. Nasty has never posted a positive post about ND football. He thinks he is the brightest guy in the room which he is only when he is alone.
Hey Sport, what about my actual post did you disagree with? I am making a broad commentary that this should be a forum for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas - positive or negative - regardless of our "credentials". The quality of the post should stand or fall on its own merit. Maybe Nasty is an asshole, but maybe he's got a point.

Hey Sport, what about my actual post did you disagree with? I am making a broad commentary that this should be a forum for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas - positive or negative - regardless of our "credentials". The quality of the post should stand or fall on its own merit. Maybe Nasty is an asshole, but maybe he's got a point.

What's his point?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT