ADVERTISEMENT

Didn’t realize Freeman was 14-7 overall as a head coach

clover3ND

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 9, 2008
For the mathematically challenged posters, that % equates to an 8-4 record. Frankly, I think that is the coach he is going to be. Not necessarily bad enough to justify firing after a few seasons, but far from good enough to excite and rejuvenate a program.

With the talent gap ND has compared to most of their schedule, I can’t see how Freeman isn’t a 10-2 coach. You’ll lose a game here or there, that’s fine… but Marshall, Stanford, Louisville, blowing huge dbl digit lead against Oklahoma State in the bowl game, and the 4th quarter meltdown against OSU this year? Heck last week they needed a miracle on 4th and 16 against Duke (yes, Duke is an improved team, but ND has out recruited them SIGNIFICANTLY over the past 5 years). If Hartman doesn’t make that play with his legs, Freeman is 13-8 and 4-3 on the year. It’s so dang frustrating! And to make the situation worse, he inherited a team who went 44-6 in their last 50 games. It’s not like this was a 1-11 football team prior!

Aside from their W/L record, this team is not a good football team. That’s my biggest gripe. They are an extremely talented team (and by extension a dangerous team), just poorly coached with no discipline or emphasis on fundamentals.

A few things are quite obvious.
MF is still learning how to be a “head coach”. He looks like a coordinator on the sidelines.

ND offense is horrible. We had “ fools gold” through the first four games. They just played 3 quality opponents and the offense struggled mightily in each game against good competition. The offensive line is “ offensive “

I’m starting a prediction thread for next week right now. There is ZERO chance they beat SC. Hartman is an ok QB , not a difference maker. He is somewhere between Book and Pyne.

MF isn’t going anywhere. So I’m not calling for his resignation or replacement. I just hope he somehow gets better and starts to look and truly become a head coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: U2fan and Airzee23
Unless ND starts getting elite players and a great DC,they are going to be fair to middling team. They will not be in top five. I saw Liafau standing around on several plays and that face mask by he and Fisher were so very obvious.

Unless ND starts getting elite players and a great DC,they are going to be fair to middling team. They will not be in top five. I saw Liafau standing around on several plays and that face mask by he and Fisher were so very obvious.
Elite players are irrelevant if they can’t be coached effectively during the game

For the mathematically challenged posters, that % equates to an 8-4 record. Frankly, I think that is the coach he is going to be. Not necessarily bad enough to justify firing after a few seasons, but far from good enough to excite and rejuvenate a program.

With the talent gap ND has compared to most of their schedule, I can’t see how Freeman isn’t a 10-2 coach. You’ll lose a game here or there, that’s fine… but Marshall, Stanford, Louisville, blowing huge dbl digit lead against Oklahoma State in the bowl game, and the 4th quarter meltdown against OSU this year? Heck last week they needed a miracle on 4th and 16 against Duke (yes, Duke is an improved team, but ND has out recruited them SIGNIFICANTLY over the past 5 years). If Hartman doesn’t make that play with his legs, Freeman is 13-8 and 4-3 on the year. It’s so dang frustrating! And to make the situation worse, he inherited a team who went 44-6 in their last 50 games. It’s not like this was a 1-11 football team prior!

Aside from their W/L record, this team is not a good football team. That’s my biggest gripe. They are an extremely talented team (and by extension a dangerous team), just poorly coached with no discipline or emphasis on fundamentals.
Well he has 2 more season to do better.
If it's 8-4 than the 5th season might be buy(bye) out

The way I see it. We’re stuck with him for 2 more seasons. He definitely has upgraded the roster. Let freeman keep stock piling talent so when the next coach ( fickell hopefully ) we’ll be loaded. Jmo.

Reactions: KYExtemper

He does have the ability to bring in talented recruits. He still has a few positions to address. BK left some holes in the roster, because historically, he was not able to recruit those positions. I don’t think MF has such limitations. At the end of Year 4 we ought know how Marcus is developing and how MF is developing his football team. Lombardi did not win his 1st year in Washington, right?

Holtz was 13-10 after his first 2 seasons; even with 105 scholarship players compared to 85 now. Much more parity now with scholarship number spreading players all over.
I'm pretty certain Holtz had only 95 scholarships, which was gradually reduced to 85 by the time he left.

While I think you and I agree he was not the God he is portrayed on this board, he was very definitely building something at ND. His team had a shot to win or tie five of the six games it lost his first season, and the following season, it lost to Pitt when our starting QB went out and lost to Penn State in a nail biter before getting dominated by Miami and Texas A&M.

I think we are going to have a couple more losses this season and end up no better than 8-4 in the regular season. I think next year will be a tough one because we will have to rebuild the entire defense and will probably have growing pains at QB.

So after Weis went 19-6 in his first two seasons, did you believe that was the coach he was going to be? 76% winning percentage?

How about after Ty's first season were you thinking, man we hired a winner here he's going to win a championship after he won 10 games?

So after Weis went 19-6 in his first two seasons, did you believe that was the coach he was going to be? 76% winning percentage?

How about after Ty's first season were you thinking, man we hired a winner here he's going to win a championship after he won 10 games?
No

Reactions: NDinNJ
I'm pretty certain Holtz had only 95 scholarships, which was gradually reduced to 85 by the time he left.

While I think you and I agree he was not the God he is portrayed on this board, he was very definitely building something at ND. His team had a shot to win or tie five of the six games it lost his first season, and the following season, it lost to Pitt when our starting QB went out and lost to Penn State in a nail biter before getting dominated by Miami and Texas A&M.
Went from 105 to 85 over his time. Started with 105, down to 95 starting in 1988 recruiting year and down to 85 in 1994. Partly why even Holtz's teams had weaker records at the end of his tenure.

There were no limits until 1073 so Ara had even more options.

Went from 105 to 85 over his time. Started with 105, down to 95 starting in 1988 recruiting year and down to 85 in 1994. Partly why even Holtz's teams had weaker records at the end of his tenure.

There were no limits until 1073 so Ara had even more options.
That's interesting because my memory is the 95 limit went into effect just before Devine left and Faust was hired.

I think we are going to have a couple more losses this season and end up no better than 8-4 in the regular season. I think next year will be a tough one because we will have to rebuild the entire defense and will probably have growing pains at QB.
Those first two Holtz teams were GREAT to watch. They played with such spirit even as they IMPROVED, week to week. Holtz basically sculpted the 88 team from his 86 and 87 raw material.

Those were also Tim Brown's two great years, and like Hornung he pretty much won the Heisman based on two years as opposed to just one.

As for Freeman, note how the conversation has shifted from him breezily SURPASSING KELLY to turning out a more or less an 8-4 coach.

Nothing's certain, but the 8-4 guy looked like the better bet to MANY OF US from the outset.

Year three, which MANY now notice will be a REBUILDING YEAR, will tell the tale.

Hunk Anderson, Terry Brennan, Bob Davie and Charlie Weis all IMPLODED in year 3. Freeman has his work CUT OUT FOR HIM.

Holtz was 13-10 after his first 2 seasons; even with 105 scholarship players compared to 85 now. Much more parity now with scholarship number spreading players all over.
That’s where stats don’t lie but statisticians sure do. That 5-6 first team lost some tough games. Joel Williams got robbed by big ten refs against Michigan. You could see momentum building after that Carney fg to knock off USC. Second year 8-4. Third year…… CHAMPS!

I don’t see the trajectory pointing upwards after last season.

Last edited:
That’s where stats don’t lie but statisticians sure do. That 5-6 first team lost some tough games. Joel Williams got robbed by big ten refs against Michigan. You could see momentum building after that Carney fg to knock off USC. Second year 8-4. Third year…… CHAMPS!

I don’t see the trajectory pointing upwards after last season.
That's because the Irish lost their OC with little time to find a quality replacement regardless whether it was Freeman (who had his hands full coming into his first second season as a head coach), or Rees (who had an opportunity to promising to turn down)

Those first two Holtz teams were GREAT to watch. They played with such spirit even as they IMPROVED, week to week. Holtz basically sculpted the 88 team from his 86 and 87 raw material.

Those were also Tim Brown's two great years, and like Hornung he pretty much won the Heisman based on two years as opposed to just one.

As for Freeman, note how the conversation has shifted from him breezily SURPASSING KELLY to turning out a more or less an 8-4 coach.

Nothing's certain, but the 8-4 guy looked like the better bet to MANY OF US from the outset.

Year three, which MANY now notice will be a REBUILDING YEAR, will tell the tale.

Hunk Anderson, Terry Brennan, Bob Davie and Charlie Weis all IMPLODED in year 3. Freeman has his work CUT OUT FOR HIM.
Kelly put the Irish in a bind intentionally He walked away knowing he could win an NC here. He knew he couldn't do it. How does that figure into you analysis?
Here you're at a program where it's NC or nothing give me the guy that believes somehow they can do it......there's no algorithm for that

Kelly put the Irish in a bind intentionally He walked away knowing he could win an NC here. He knew he couldn't do it. How does that figure into you analysis?
Here you're at a program where it's NC or nothing give me the guy that believes somehow they can do it......there's no algorithm for that
Not following you.

He walked away knowing he could win an NC here. He knew he couldn't do it.

Which are you saying he believed? Seems like these two thoughts are in direct opposition to one another.

I'm also not following your point that if you're at a program where it's NC or nothing, all you need is a guy who "believes somehow they can do it." And that there's no algorithm needed.

What do you mean by that?

I'm sorry, but I can't connect your dots. Maybe you could clarify your comments as I'm happy to respond once I understand your overall point.

Brutal record. Not his fault. I wouldn’t turn the job down either. Jack’s legacy will be atrocious. It was simply a politically correct hire. ND needed a coach with head coaching experience.

Reactions: 4-4-3
I looked at your post again and realized that the reason I couldn't understand the first part of it was due to PUNCTUATION.

I take it to mean you meant: KELLY KNEW HE COULD WIN AN NC -- JUST NOT AT ND -- AND SO HE WALKED AWAY.

Correct?

If so, I agree with that 100%.

But I'm still not sure about your second assertion. How someone's confidence he can win an NC at an NC or nothing school makes him a necessarily better option -- particularly if he has other deficiencies, such as a lack of HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE.

And while there may not be any algorithm or formula to the right selection process, to me, it still comes down to GOOD JUDGEMENT which I don't think Swarbrick exercised in hiring Freeman. While Freeman may have removed the IMMEDIATE problem, he didn't necessarily SOLVE IT while in fact perhaps turning it into a bigger one down the line.

I remember fans weren't in love with Devine but loved Gerry Faust at first. A lot that did for them.

Sometimes, 4th and 16 works but then the following week 4th and 11th doesn't. To me, Swarbrick HELD HIS BREATH while kicking the can down the road past his RETIREMENT.

It was late and I didn't proof read my text.....sorry for the confusion

Kelly put the Irish in a bind intentionally He walked away knowing he COULDN'T win a NC here. He knew he couldn't do it. How does that figure into you analysis? (By this i mean he gave up. That has to figure into a degree when comparing to the one's who have accomplished a NC
Here you're at a program where it's NC or nothing give me the guy that believes somehow they can do it......[here's no algorithm for that.]......by this I'm speak as a fan (emotions) which rarely works when analyzing a particular subject
I hope this cleans up my mess

I looked at your post again and realized that the reason I couldn't understand the first part of it was due to PUNCTUATION.

I take it to mean you meant: KELLY KNEW HE COULD WIN AN NC -- JUST NOT AT ND -- AND SO HE WALKED AWAY.

Correct?

But I'm still not sure about your second assertion. How someone's confidence he can win an NC at an NC or nothing school makes him a necessarily better option -- particularly if he has other deficiencies, such as a lack of HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE.

And while there may not be any algorithm or formula to the right selection process, to me, it still comes down to GOOD JUDGEMENT which I don't think Swarbrick exercised in hiring Freeman. While Freeman may have removed the IMMEDIATE problem, he didn't necessarily SOLVE IT while in fact perhaps turning it into a bigger one down the line.

I remember fans weren't in love with Devine but loved Gerry Faust at first. A lot that did for them.

Sometimes, 4th and 16 works but then the following week 4th and 11th doesn't. To me, Swarbrick HELD HIS BREATH while kicking the can down the road past his RETIREMENT.

I'm not sure Kelly can win a NC . Each defining game he's been in at the end of the season in D1 he was blown out whether it was UC, or ND.
But let's say he did win one for LSU the fact he couldn't do it at ND will be a blemish when comparing to those who have.
Seems year 3 at ND has all the markings of success. Ara Parseghian, Dan Devine, Lou Holtz, Brian Kelly(since these are the 4 coaches since my youth to present I'm not sure if the lost an important coordinator up to season three)
Marcus Freeman losing his OC has set him back especially since this is his first gig. It was a tall motion even if Rees stays, but this will hinder peogess this season for sure

Last edited:

Correct?

Kelly being the modern day Dan Devine is a good comp. Both were grizzled coaches, but neither seemed caught up in the spirit of old Notre Dame. They viewed their job as purely to win football games. Not lead the alma mater.

That led to the hiring of their opposites (young, inexperienced, passionate). Through their first season and a half, Faust and Freeman have almost identical records. Faust was 12-7-1, Freeman 14-7.

The no brainer hire when Devine left was Holtz. ND passed him over for Faust despite making Arkansas a top 5 program. But Holtz sensed Faust wasn't going to make it when he structured his contract with Minnesota and created an out. Anyone know if Fickell has a ND clause?

Reactions: 4-4-3 and TPirish
Kelly being the modern day Dan Devine is a good comp. Both were grizzled coaches, but neither seemed caught up in the spirit of old Notre Dame. They viewed their job as purely to win football games. Not lead the alma mater.

That led to the hiring of their opposites (young, inexperienced, passionate). Through their first season and a half, Faust and Freeman have almost identical records. Faust was 12-7-1, Freeman 14-7.

The no brainer hire when Devine left was Holtz. ND passed him over for Faust despite making Arkansas a top 5 program. But Holtz sensed Faust wasn't going to make it when he structured his contract with Minnesota and created an out. Anyone know if Fickell has a ND clause?
Dan Devine WON a NC at ND. The D-bag did not. Bad analogy

This. Hopefully Bevaqua isn't an assh*le like Swarbrick is, and has some stones to make the right hire. That hire could very well be Luke Fickell.

Correct?

I'm still convinced, or at least I feel it's a very solid guess, that why BK suddenly upped and left the way he did, is on account of all the sociopathic haters amongst the ND fan base, and their relentless hostility towards him. And if that somehow weren't part of the equation he would have stayed. Utterly baseless hostility I might add, like on the level of angry mobs scapegoating the usual vulnerable targets the way sociologists like say, Hannah Arendt study and gain their fame on.... and the apex of that crescendoing fear and loathing was when BK passed Knute Rockne on the all-time wins list, and being mainly hated and resented and loathed all the more for it by fans, and not appreciated. And lo and behold, he suddenly bolts when LSU comes calling just a few weeks later. And BK probably got similar job offers every off season. And finally he decided to take one of them.

So I don't think BK tried to intentionally screw ND, out of spite or something. He may well have felt some keen resentment, but I'm not sure what someone's supposed to feel in that case. But these legitimately pathological fans scrounge and scramble to come up with any halfway plausible justification for their raw loathing and aversion, or to explain away the shitty aftermath that often ensues if they ever actually get their way, and are finally rid of the coach they hated so much. It's just what people do....

They took a chance hiring MF I think it's fair to characterize it as, and there probably was a 'woke' element to it. 'Woke' of course referring to, on the one end of the spectrum, the institutional end, mainly staid and steadfast institutions like ND going out of their way to make largely phony and/or contrived gestures of approval to these various so-called 'social justice' imperatives.... and on the other end, presumably at least somewhat well-meaning activists, and the inevitable grifters and hustlers and the legions of online fanatics and lost souls who drive the whole phenomenon, sort of at the street level.... with plenty of other characters in-between the two extremes either exploiting or avoiding the hungry beast, lest they be summarily 'canceled',..... all the while the juggernaut of modern industrial society keeps relentlessly plowing forward, either devouring or absorbing anything in it's way as we keep bulldozing a bee line straight into the impending apocalypse of our own making.... In any case, western wokeism, and all of its myriad sprawling outgrowths and manifestations, truly being an appalling development in the short history of modernity, but alas I suppose not a real surprising one....

As for the here and now for MF, now that he actually got the job, woke or no woke, he needs to hire himself a kick-ass OC. Hell even Rudolph the OL coach came in with a pretty solid track record orchestrating some of the very best of the Wisky years, and then there's Gino who also seemed like a more viable candidate.... but for some reason he went with the far and away least impressive option in his old buddy Parker, who quite frankly didn't cut a too impressive figure just as a position coach. And the offense is unsurprisingly floundering. So it's your move, Marcus! Now watch us beat USC this week....

I'm still convinced, or at least I feel it's a very solid guess, that why BK suddenly upped and left the way he did, is on account of all the sociopathic haters amongst the ND fan base, and their relentless hostility towards him. Utterly baseless hostility I might add, like on the level of angry mobs scapegoating the usual vulnerable targets the way sociologists like say, Hannah Arendt study and gain their fame on.... and the apex of that crescendoing fear and loathing was when BK passed Knute Rockne on the all-time wins list, and being mainly hated and resented and loathed all the more for it by fans, and not appreciated. And lo and behold, he surprisingly bolts when LSU comes calling just a few weeks later. And BK probably got similar job offers every off season. And finally he decided to take one of them.

So I don't think BK tried to intentionally screw ND, out of spite or something. He may well have felt some keen resentment, but I'm not sure what someone's supposed to feel in that case. But these legitimately pathological fans scrounge and scramble to come up with any halfway plausible justification for their raw loathing and aversion, or to explain away the shitty aftermath that often ensues if they ever actually get their way, and are finally rid of the coach they hated so much. It's just what people do....

They took a chance hiring MF I think it's fair to characterize it as, and there probably was a 'woke' element to it. 'Woke' of course referring to, on the one end of the spectrum, the institutional end, mainly staid and steadfast institutions like ND going out of their way to make largely phony and/or contrived gestures of approval to these various so-called 'social justice' imperatives.... and on the other end, presumably at least somewhat well-meaning activists, and the inevitable grifters and hustlers and the legions of online fanatics and lost souls who drive the whole phenomenon, sort of at the street level.... with plenty of other characters in-between the two extremes either exploiting or avoiding the hungry beast, lest they be summarily 'canceled',..... all the while the juggernaut of modern industrial society keeps relentlessly plowing forward, either devouring or absorbing anything in it's way as we keep bulldozing a bee line straight into the impending apocalypse of our own making.... In any case, western wokeism, and all of its myriad sprawling outgrowths and manifestations, truly being an appalling development in the short history of modernity, but alas I suppose not a real surprising one....

As for the here and now for MF, now that he actually got the job, woke or no woke, he needs to hire himself a kick-ass OC. Hell even Rudolph the OL coach came in with a pretty solid track record orchestrating some of the very best of the Wisky years, and then there's Gino who also seemed like a more viable candidate.... but for some reason he went with the far and away least impressive option in his old buddy Parker, who quite frankly didn't cut a too impressive figure just as a position coach. And the offense is unsurprisingly floundering. So it's your move, Marcus! Now watch us beat USC this week....
Need Advil for this.

Depends on how soon MF gets a signature win. Saturday would be a good start. Breaking through in recruiting and winning big games cannot wait. If ND looks like the past the rest of this season....The cracks will be showing.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT