ADVERTISEMENT

Debunking the Recruiting Lies

We have not recruited this well back to back in the past 20-30 years. 2024 matching that % is the key to pushing the needle. We will be insanely talented by the 2025 season. At that point it boils down to coaching. If we aren’t better than the Kelly era in the next 2-5 years, freeman is not a good coach and is simply just a great recruiter. I expect us to make multiple playoff games and win some in the 12 team. Making 2024 the best class yet and maybe top 5 goes a long ways not bc it’s just a great class but bc of what we’ve done in 22 and 23. If you make 2024 an elite class, you add that to an already incredibly deep and talented roster. CJ and Cam Williams will likely both end as 5 stars.

Last edited:
We have not recruited this well back to back in the past 20-30 years. 2024 matching that % is the key to pushing the needle. We will be insanely talented by the 2025 season. At that point it boils down to coaching. If we aren’t better than the Kelly era in the next 2-5 years, freeman is not a good coach and is simply just a great recruiter. I expect us to make multiple playoff games and win some in the 12 team. Making 2024 the best class yet and maybe top 5 goes a long ways not bc it’s just a great class but bc of what we’ve done in 22 and 23. If you make 2024 an elite class, you add that to an already incredibly deep and talented roster. CJ and Cam Williams will likely both end as 5 stars.
Wow you've done a complete 360. You were against the Freeman hire initially.

Wow you've done a complete 360. You were against the Freeman hire initially.
I knew he was a good recruiter. I like the man and want him to do well. I wanted Fickell, no doubt bc I know he’s a good coach. Freeman was and still is a gamble based on his recruiting efforts. I like how hard freeman works. I don’t know if he’s a great developer of talent yet but I respect him. He’s embraced ND, the Church, he’s classy. He’s a hard guy to dislike. Doesn’t matter that I wanted Fickell. Freeman is here.

I question if you really need a great QB. Depending on how you define great. arguably Book was good enough.

Substitute excellent for great in my opinion.

Bottom line is if MF can keep this up the talent level at ND will be high enough to win it all

THEN it really comes down to coaching.
Book was not good enough … when we played great defenses our offense came up small, very small despite having numerous future NFL players on the field.
So what does ND do when the numbers exceed the 85 limit and no other players want to leave?
let’s assume that if needed, a few walk ons that earned scholarships will not have their scholarship renewed … I think that’s at least Salerno and Powlus, maybe one more

Book was not good enough … when we played great defenses our offense came up small, very small despite having numerous future NFL players on the field.

let’s assume that if needed, a few walk ons that earned scholarships will not have their scholarship renewed … I think that’s at least Salerno and Powlus, maybe one more
WHY is that all on Book ?

If the Oline fails to provide adequate protection and can’t open holes for the RB’s, WHY is that on Book ?

Agree except weeds out players every year no matter their rating, so they can keep bringing in 25-30 per class.

If ND holds onto players even if they aren't good, that hurts future recruiting numbers
Yeah, this is true, though I was trying to be optimistic. It is incredibly difficult to go up against factories that recruit blue chippers and replace those who don’t pan out with proven commodities.

WHY is that all on Book ?

If the Oline fails to provide adequate protection and can’t open holes for the RB’s, WHY is that on Book ?
Book played scared in big games vs good defenses over and over and over

Book played scared in big games vs good defenses over and over and over
That’s your answer to my question ?

He “played scared” ?
And you would know that ….. how ?

Which games, specifically ?

What we’re his stats in those games ?

How did the OLine perform in those games

How did the RB’s and WR’s perform in those games ?

Answer the questions.

thanks

Reactions: Pennick4
That’s your answer to my question ?

He “played scared” ?
And you would know that ….. how ?

Which games, specifically ?

What we’re his stats in those games ?

How did the OLine perform in those games

How did the RB’s and WR’s perform in those games ?

Answer the questions.

thanks
Georgia Clemson Clemson Alabama

At Georgia our oline gave him ALLLLLLL day, he barely got touched, but wouldn't throw downfield

First clemson CFP game he had all day in the first half, then when we got behind clemson brought pressure from all over second half and got to him. Clemson second half did rattle our young oline and book

Second clemson game in ACC championship (when clemson didn't have 10 starters out to covid) Book had all day and again wouldn't throw the ball over the middle or downfield

Bama in CFP book had all day again, oline played great, and he missed easy passes and wouldn't throw the ball over the middle or downfield

let’s assume that if needed, a few walk ons that earned scholarships will not have their scholarship renewed … I think that’s at least Salerno and Powlus, maybe one morehem
Is that understood when PWO come in? That they will be given scholarships when possible but have them taken away when the limit must be reached.

Georgia Clemson Clemson Alabama

At Georgia our oline gave him ALLLLLLL day, he barely got touched, but wouldn't throw downfield

First clemson CFP game he had all day in the first half, then when we got behind clemson brought pressure from all over second half and got to him. Clemson second half did rattle our young oline and book

Second clemson game in ACC championship (when clemson didn't have 10 starters out to covid) Book had all day and again wouldn't throw the ball over the middle or downfield

Bama in CFP book had all day again, oline played great, and he missed easy passes and wouldn't throw the ball over the middle or downfield
Do you know the plays that were called when you claim he wouldn’t throw downfield ?

Do you know if his receiver/s were covered on the plays where you state he wouldn’t throw downfield.

Let‘s go game by game, pass play by pass play, with the game clock citing each play where you claim that he “played scared” and wouldn’t throw downfield. Then we can see if you have a valid point or if you’re just full of shit, whining and being your usual negative self !

By the way, please define “downfield“ for us in terms of yardage.

Thanks

Michigan had 3 transfer players in 2022. 1 4-star and 2 3 star

For 2023 they have 7 transfers which has zero to do with their record the last 2 years. At least look it up first.
I believe they got a 5 star d-line guy . Let's see what happens to them when they play UGA

Do you know the plays that were called when you claim he wouldn’t throw downfield ?

Do you know if his receiver/s were covered on the plays where you state he wouldn’t throw downfield.

Let‘s go game by game, pass play by pass play, with the game clock citing each play where you claim that he “played scared” and wouldn’t throw downfield. Then we can see if you have a valid point or if you’re just full of shit, whining and being your usual negative self !

By the way, please define “downfield“ for us in terms of yardage.

Thanks
we averaged 11ppg in our 4 biggest games the last 5 years that book was QB...

we averaged 11ppg in our 4 biggest games the last 5 years that book was QB...
Let’s focus on the Georgia game.

ND without Book ran for 28 yards, repeat, 28 yards in 11 attempts !

And you’re going to represent that the OLine did their job ?

And Book still threw for 62 % and two TD’s

YOU’RE CLUELESS !

YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL !

We were trending last summer to explode then we had about 6 top players decommit. Our 24 class looks exactly like a Kelly class. The 23 class has a little more skill than Kelly but lacked in the trenches.
He was hired to recruit better not to match him in coaching ability. We took a big step back in Coaching and experience. Fickell would have kept recruiting status quo but pushed the needle with coaching. All the haters know it. Our best chance at a title Called Jack and was told to kick rocks bc he’s not black so now he’s in Madison.

We were trending last summer to explode then we had about 6 top players decommit. Our 24 class looks exactly like a Kelly class. The 23 class has a little more skill than Kelly but lacked in the trenches.
23 class didnt lack in the trenches. 9 players signed in the trenches. 7 four stars, 2 three stars

How many Kelly classes had 2 top 50 players and probably going to have 3 at least?

I'll answer that, he did it 3x in 12 years. So that point was another bad one. What stupid thing will you say next?

Reactions: bizzybecknd
He was hired to recruit better not to match him in coaching ability. We took a big step back in Coaching and experience. Fickell would have kept recruiting status quo but pushed the needle with coaching. All the haters know it. Our best chance at a title Called Jack and was told to kick rocks bc he’s not black so now he’s in Madison.
MF was a much better choice than Fickell. He'll be a better head coach and Fickell will be average in Madison

• Haha
Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
He will be way better with way less talented players just like he was at Cincy
He's going to get exposed now that he's in a real conference. Wisky will be somewhere between the 4 and 7 team during his time there

Although hes lucky his schedule looks like a Cincinnati schedule this year

Losing out on Bowen and Keely does suck, but the flat out lies/sky is falling posts and threads about ND recruiting doesnt match reality. The last 2 years have been really good for ND. Alot to like.
First and foremost, great points. Love people making arguments supported by factual info. No doubt ND has improved it's recruiting classes thus far under Freeman. That said, OUR objective is to win a National Championship. So while ND alone on paper IS improving, put our classes up against the elites, 'Bama, Georgia and Ohio State. Against these three programs, ND is woefully short. In fact, ND is the only school to have back-to-back top 10 recruiting classes with ZERO 5-star athletes. This is what separates those programs from ours. The elite, top-100 kids. Looking at the composite rankings of the top 4 recruiting sites for the past 3 recruiting cycles (2021 - 2023), this is how ND has faired for top 100 talent:

1. Bama - 15.7
2. Georgia - 10.0
3. Ohio State - 8.7
4. ND - 3.3

Bama is crushing everybody at 15.7 top-100 athletes each cycle. Georgia (Back to back National Champions) are averaging 10. Ohio State isn't far behind with 8.7. ND is at 3.3. My point to all this is if you want to compete for a natty, you have to have a solid representation of the best players in the country on your team. So while ND is improving, we're not to the recruiting standards of the elite programs. What's more concerning is that ND is actually regressing when it comes to landing top 100 recruits. 2021 - 5, 2022 - 3 and 2023 - 2. Throw in ND's academic requirements, reluctance to accept transfers and refusal to accept JUCO players, we're at an even bigger disadvantage. Then you have Swarbrick and Jenkins writing op-eds in the NYT about how NIL and pay for play is unfair and right before that, we have the OC debacle. There's a reason Rees went to 'Bama and the last two significant hires, Head Coach and OC, went to internal candidates. Elite coaches and players aren't buying what ND is selling/ offering.

Last edited:
Reactions: baron100
He's going to get exposed now that he's in a real conference. Wisky will be somewhere between the 4 and 7 team during his time there

Although hes lucky his schedule looks like a Cincinnati schedule this year
Nope. He will turn them around within 2-3 years and be a competitive 9-10 win program.

Notre Dame is an academic institution, not a minor league franchise of the NFL. Maybe it is more important to recruit kids that can flourish academically at ND than it is to "back off the current restrictions."
That's great but if ND wants to continue down the academic road, they'll piss away $millions in football revenue. And maybe they shouldn't forget what put ND on the map, football. Not graduation rates or fencing national championships.

That's great but if ND wants to continue down the academic road, they'll piss away $millions in football revenue. And maybe they shouldn't forget what put ND on the map, football. Not graduation rates or fencing national championships.
Has nothing to do with academics. Vanderbilt, a higher ranked institution, offered our “low academic” safety a day or two after we rejected him, who is now enrolled at Michigan, a research institution ranked higher than ND when you factor in med school and law schools. Yes, ND is a slightly better undergraduate institution than Michigan, but not by much, and not higher than Vandy, who is slightly better than ND.

For undergrad, ND is ranked #18. Michigan is ranked #25. Vanderbilt is #13. Very little separation besides Michigan prioritizing academics + football, similarly to Duke (#10 and better academically than everyone) and basketball. ND is simply full of shit.

Duke is the model of how to be more elite academically than ND and also elite more at their most important revenue generating sport.

Last edited:
23 class didnt lack in the trenches. 9 players signed in the trenches. 7 four stars, 2 three stars

How many Kelly classes had 2 top 50 players and probably going to have 3 at least?

I'll answer that, he did it 3x in 12 years. So that point was another bad one. What stupid thing will you say next?
Our trench 4 star players leave a ton to be desired from the 23 class …. I bet not one takes many meaningful snaps over next 2 years

All that experience and in 12 years BK was 1-6 against Top 5 opponents and 4-11 against top 10. His only top 5 win coming against DJ U as a freshman at Clemson. Unreal ND didn’t part ways with him and he left ND. To your point, they’re clearly OK with mediocrity.

Losing out on Bowen and Keely does suck, but the flat out lies/sky is falling posts and threads about ND recruiting doesnt match reality. The last 2 years have been really good for ND. Alot to like.
Bama had 9 5* commits, I would guess they have an excellent chance to make a NC run within the next 3 seasons.
Decide if getting the playoffs is the goal or winning the NC is the goal. As a fan my only hope is the team play fundamentally sound football while being competitive and exciting! Play Ball!

First and foremost, great points. Love people making arguments supported by factual info. No doubt ND has improved it's recruiting classes thus far under Freeman. That said, OUR objective is to win a National Championship. So while ND alone on paper IS improving, put our classes up against the elites, 'Bama, Georgia and Ohio State. Against these three programs, ND is woefully short. In fact, ND is the only school to have back-to-back top 10 recruiting classes with ZERO 5-star athletes. This is what separates those programs from ours. The elite, top-100 kids. Looking at the composite rankings of the top 4 recruiting sites for the past 3 recruiting cycles (2021 - 2023), this is how ND has faired for top 100 talent:

1. Bama - 15.7
2. Georgia - 10.0
3. Ohio State - 8.7
4. ND - 3.3

Bama is crushing everybody at 15.7 top-100 athletes each cycle. Georgia (Back to back National Champions) are averaging 10. Ohio State isn't far behind with 8.7. ND is at 3.3. My point to all this is if you want to compete for a natty, you have to have a solid representation of the best players in the country on your team. So while ND is improving, we're not to the recruiting standards of the elite programs. What's more concerning is that ND is actually regressing when it comes to landing top 100 recruits. 2021 - 5, 2022 - 3 and 2023 - 2. Throw in ND's academic requirements, reluctance to accept transfers and refusal to accept JUCO players, we're at an even bigger disadvantage. Then you have Swarbrick and Jenkins writing op-eds in the NYT about how NIL and pay for play is unfair and right before that, we have the OC debacle. There's a reason Rees went to 'Bama and the last two significant hires, Head Coach and OC, went to internal candidates. Elite coaches and players aren't buying what ND is selling/ offering.
You’re spot on. Recruiting sites are running a business so they need to rank 100’s of kids but after the top 50-100 it gets highly subjective. There are difference makers every year and then there’s a massive amount of guess work. was it muffet or dawn staley that said recently, you need to get the top 3 recruits and after that it’s a toss up. Football is different but similar. Based on the way ga/ Ala/OSU have been recruiting and hitting the portal I don’t see the big gains we’ve made under freeman. And the guys we needed most last year, Moore(s), keely, Bowen,Edward’s , we lost.

Reactions: adrian1477
Our trench 4 star players leave a ton to be desired from the 23 class …. I bet not one takes many meaningful snaps over next 2 years
In your opinion. Lot of people disagree. Jagusah is a stud and then we have a bunch of high quality high upside players. Already a surprise in spring ball, Sam Pendleton has impressed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT