ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson vs BC

Status
Not open for further replies.
in one quarter PJ and BC will probably put up better offensive numbers than we will the entire game next week. I expect nothing more than what we see time and time again when we go up against elite defenses recently (Clemson, Miami, Georgia twice, etc.) deer in the headlights and an offense that can’t get anything going. Kelly will have to prove me wrong before I think any differently. Until we get some coaches on staff that know how to coach up the QB position these Games will continue to be a disaster for us.
Whatever. Step away from the ledge

Reactions: IrishDiego
This seems like as good of a thread as any to say this... Some people talk about Kelly apologists here.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no particular loyalty to Brian Kelly. Ultimately, I care about the success of the program, regardless of who the coach is.

I sincerely think Kelly has done a great job at ND. He certainly hasn't brought ND to the level of Alabama, Clemson or OSU. I'm skeptical that ND can get to that level at all, which is why I'm happy with Kelly as the coach in spite of his perceived flaws. It's not out of any loyalty to him personally. I just don't know if anyone can do any better at ND.

With that said, whenever Kelly leaves or is pushed out, I'll be filled with excitement and hope that maybe *that* guy can actually take ND to the highest echelon consistently.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Is Notre Dame the only team that’s not allowed to win close against teams it’s favored big against?
I guess they haven’t earned the benefit of the doubt to the same extent. They don’t have major wins to point to. Or upsets. Or national championships.

Reactions: NDinNJ
This seems like as good of a thread as any to say this... Some people talk about Kelly apologists here.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no particular loyalty to Brian Kelly. Ultimately, I care about the success of the program, regardless of who the coach is.

I sincerely think Kelly has done a great job at ND. He certainly hasn't brought ND to the level of Alabama, Clemson or OSU. I'm skeptical that ND can get to that level at all, which is why I'm happy with Kelly as the coach in spite of his perceived flaws. It's not out of any loyalty to him personally. I just don't know if anyone can do any better at ND.

With that said, whenever Kelly leaves or is pushed out, I'll be filled with excitement and hope that maybe *that* guy can actually take ND to the highest echelon consistently.
I mean, yeah, agreed. I'm no apologist, I just like to think I'm being honest about things. This thread needed knee pads for Phil, because he had a good 1st half where EVERYTHING went his way. He's now like 2-9 in the 2nd half with a Clint Stoerner play and just missed a wide open receiver for a go ahead TD down the sideline. Book would be getting crucified for all of that. If you have watched Phil play, in this game or others, and you can't understand where Kelly was coming from, I think you're seeing what you want. That doesn't mean you have to agree with the decision--there's plenty to be said about going with the bigger potential--but let's not act like it was Ian Book vs some guaranteed, and now confirmed, star here.

And if Phil still manages a comeback, good for him, I don't wish anything bad for him, other than against the Irish.

I mean, yeah, I'm no apologist, I just like to think I'm being honest about things. This thread needed knee pads for Phil, because he had a good 1st half where EVERYTHING went his way. He's now like 2-9 in the 2nd half with a Clint Stoerner play and just missed a wide open receiver for a go ahead TD down the sideline. Book would be getting crucified for all of that. If you have watched Phil play, in this game or others, and you can't understand where Kelly was coming from, I think you're seeing what you want. That doesn't mean you have to agree with the decision--there's plenty to be said about going with the bigger potential--but let's not act like it was Ian Book vs some guaranteed, and now confirmed, star here.

Well said.

I mean, yeah, agreed. I'm no apologist, I just like to think I'm being honest about things. This thread needed knee pads for Phil, because he had a good 1st half where EVERYTHING went his way. He's now like 2-9 in the 2nd half with a Clint Stoerner play and just missed a wide open receiver for a go ahead TD down the sideline. Book would be getting crucified for all of that. If you have watched Phil play, in this game or others, and you can't understand where Kelly was coming from, I think you're seeing what you want. That doesn't mean you have to agree with the decision--there's plenty to be said about going with the bigger potential--but let's not act like it was Ian Book vs some guaranteed, and now confirmed, star here.
That wide open receiver could have made a better effort. Ball touched his hands.

Not sure. Maybe doesn't show well in practice. He looks good, no doubt. We whiffed on him.

But, Book is 2nd all time at ND. Struggled this year for some reason. Maybe last week got the rust off. Hard to go away from Book with that W/L. Phil stays he starts 2 years and goes Pro. Just timing i guess.

Looking forward to next week's game. Too bad I can't be there. I would rather have Book in there then Jurkevich. Book doesn't seem to provide a downfield threat. That is just me, from the outside looking in.

I did not get to see the first quarter however my opinions of Phil during the 2nd and 3rd qtr are he is inconsistent. He make some good throws, throws the ball into triple coverage in other chances and then makes some bad throws in the dirt when he receiver is open. When he's "on" he plays well however when he not "on" he is below average. It's really tough to play for championship level team when your QB is that inconsistent on a series to series basis. He's in a great place at BC. I with him continued success except against the Irish!
That is because you aren't watching the game through a dislike of Book and Kelly. He is 11 of 21 for under 200 yards. If that was Book the same people would be killing him and acting like the very strong 1st qtr doesn't count. I hope he has a sick 4th for the win.

We will not get the start of the ND game. In the last TWENTY MINUTES of real time, only one minute and 20 seconds have run off the game clock.

Reactions: mgormal1
I guess they haven’t earned the benefit of the doubt to the same extent. They don’t have major wins to point to. Or upsets. Or national championships.
Who has more national championships as a program?

See how that works? People can spin things however they want.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I hope Clemson plays a 3 man front against ND. Our backs will have a field day

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT