ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Williams

I do but you need to look at his work in the portal as well as HS.
he recruits WR, QB at an elite level but TE, OL and RB are not ‘elite‘ level prospects. And his prowess does not seem to carry over to the defensive side of the ball. I don’t think he even gives it much mind. So far CW and a talented group of WR’s have carried that team.

I do but you need to look at his work in the portal as well as HS.
He’s been recruiting well at schools where almost every coach before him recruited well, so let’s assume he’s not terrible … more concerning is that he’s been losing the same way for a decade, and if he could field a mediocre defense he’d Have a real contender. Why can’t he recruit an elite defensive coordinator? There’s a reason they don’t want to work under him.

Well, he has only been a head coach since 2017 so I am not sure about the decade stuff. He has been a contender plenty of times, What he needs to be is a champion. I'm sure he can get a top DC but Grinch is his best friend, and it is apparently impacting his decision making.

Well, he has only been a head coach since 2017 so I am not sure about the decade stuff. He has been a contender plenty of times, What he needs to be is a champion. I'm sure he can get a top DC but Grinch is his best friend, and it is apparently impacting his decision making.
Let’s not be pedantic, a decade might be a slight exaggeration but it doesn’t change the point. He’s at the top of the college profession, head man at two of the top 10 programs of all time. He has had all world offense and horrendous defense year after year. Without looking it up I’d say the majority of his losses he’s scored 35+ … imagine if he could have kept Venables at OU, he would have a Clemson or Bama like multi year run of trophies, especially playing in the Big 12.

I disagree about Lincoln but agree re Grinch.
Things change season to season. Before the defection, Sooners praised Grinch as an upgrade to their defense.
Let’s not be pedantic, a decade might be a slight exaggeration but it doesn’t change the point. He’s at the top of the college profession, head man at two of the top 10 programs of all time. He has had all world offense and horrendous defense year after year. Without looking it up I’d say the majority of his losses he’s scored 35+ … imagine if he could have kept Venables at OU, he would have a Clemson or Bama like multi year run of trophies, especially playing in the Big 12.
Venables as the Sooner DC was long ago. But Venables as the best recruiter in the game is barely a month old.

Reactions: NDDadx3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT