ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Long Bama

NDIRISH53

Posts Like A Champion
Aug 13, 2016
The hits keep on coming. Chip Long rumored to be in the running to be the next OC at Bama. Ouch.

Mike Yurcich as OC / QB coach please. Whatever the cost. Yurcich + Jurkovec would be deadly.

If he gets the Bama offer, he should take it. Good for him. He gets to rise to the top of his profession. This is nothing new. Coach Kelly needs to go make another good hire at OC just like nick Saban is doing. Next man up applies to coaching as well. We will be ok either way

Reactions: Kelso86
If we lost to LSU and finished with 9 wins very few coaching staffs in America are coming after our staff. We all talk about how great it is for our program to win 10 games, which it is great. Well here is one side effect of that, head coaches are going to want your coordinators as we would if we were in search. Move on. We can only focus on the players and coaches who are here. I believe we can find another good coordinator and play caller.

Right out the gate I would look at O- coordinators for South Florida, Boise State, Memphis and North Carolina State, those are all top 25 teams in the final AP poll who would probably give ND o-coordinator job a serious look. Those would all be the equivalent of a chip long for 2017

No real shock. ND is a B-level football program, currently. It’s a step up for him.

ND is not B level, I wondering what are you paying your OC and DC a year any way... If you guys are low balling them schools are going to poach them if they are any good...

i think locksley gets promoted at bama. he was co coordinator already.

Last edited:
Mike Yurcich as OC / QB coach please. Whatever the cost. Yurcich + Jurkovec would be deadly.
amen brother. Boone Pickens has maybe the deepest pockets in college football. yurcich turned down overtures from auburn and bama last year. He is a midwest guy though. born and raised in cleveland.

The only good thing for ND is now Kelly can tell his future offensive recruits that his current OC was considered by Nick Legend.

I saw nothing with Long that can't be replaced in my opinion when it came to play calling. Run the ball more behind a great offensive line? Not shocking. Our QB did not improve his throwing....our receivers did not do well...either because they could not get open due to their own abilities...or the routes...or the QB. The TE position continued to disappoint. RB was good but for some reason who ever sends in the players and the plays failed to realize Dexter Williams should have been used more.

Reactions: hoopsstar12
Just my opinion, but anyone who honestly didn't think Long did a good job this year knows very little about coaching offense.

What you're missing is....

1. Brandon Wimbush struggled considerably to make the appropriate reads in the read option game so Long was forced to all but scrap it. You saw how effective it was when even a much less explosive athlete, but one who makes the right reads in Ian Book came in vs LSU and Long began calling it again.

2. Whatever is mentally ailing Wimbush, in conjunction with poor footwork, caused Long to rip up all his RPO stuff. After about the 8th ball that Wimbush bounced at Aliz'e Mack's feet on a play in which he was wide open on an RPO, they rarely called it. After almost getting St. Brown decapitated, twice, Long basically scrapped it all together

3. His passing game was severely hampered by Wimbush's inability to read a defense. By season's end they were down to what seemed like about 8 route concepts and some iso routes. When you have a 49.5% passer, with no confidence in his ability to make throws, what are you supposed to do?

Notre Dame fielded a top 25 scoring offense, produced it's most productive rushing attack in years, was elite in the red zone and had a quarterback who accounted for 30 touchdowns despite his considerable inability to pass the ball accurately... I'm not really sure what more you wanted out of Long in year one, but the guys coached really good offense... Oh and he's a heck of a recruiter. He closed Tommy Tremble. He was instrumental in closing Kevin Austin and he was the one who flew to Oregon to lockdown Braden Lenzy once he had re-opened his recruitment.

Jack didn't include buyout clauses in either of the 3 year deals ND gave their coordinators so they are prime to be poached because the school stealing them only has to pay their new contract... Terrible contract writing.

Don't get it twisted, nobody is saying that Long is so elite that he isn't replaceable, but acting like he didn't do an awesome job with what he had to work with is complete nonsense, IMO.

ND could make this all better if they just retooled their staff...

OC / QB Coach: Mike Yurcich
OL Coach: Andy Heck
WR Coach: Kasey Dunn
RB Coach: Autry Denson
TE Coach: Jeff Quinn

I saw nothing with Long that can't be replaced in my opinion when it came to play calling. Run the ball more behind a great offensive line? Not shocking. Our QB did not improve his throwing....our receivers did not do well...either because they could not get open due to their own abilities...or the routes...or the QB. The TE position continued to disappoint. RB was good but for some reason who ever sends in the players and the plays failed to realize Dexter Williams should have been used more.
dissatisfied with a top ten rushing attack ?

Reactions: cbzone and Pennick4
Just my opinion, but anyone who honestly didn't think Long did a good job this year knows very little about coaching offense.

1. Brandon Wimbush struggled considerably to make the appropriate reads in the read option game so Long was forced to all but scrap it. You saw how effective it was when even a much less explosive athlete, but one who makes the right reads in Ian Book came in vs LSU and Long began calling it again.

2. Whatever is mentally ailing Wimbush, in conjunction with poor footwork, caused Long to rip up all his RPO stuff. After about the 8th ball that Wimbush bounced at Aliz'e Mack's feet on a play in which he was wide open on an RPO, they rarely called it. After almost getting St. Brown decapitated, twice, Long basically scrapped it all together

3. His passing game was severely hampered by Wimbush's inability to read a defense. By season's end they were down to what seemed like about 8 route concepts and some iso routes. When you have a 49.5% passer, with no confidence in his ability to make throws, what are you supposed to do?

Notre Dame fielded a top 25 scoring offense, produced it's most productive rushing attack in years, was elite in the red zone and had a quarterback who accounted for 30 touchdowns despite his considerable inability to pass the ball accurately... I'm not really sure what more you wanted out of Long in year one, but the guys coached really good offense... Oh and he's a heck of a recruiter. He closed Tommy Tremble. He was instrumental in closing Kevin Austin and he was the one who flew to Oregon to lockdown Braden Lenzy once he had re-opened his recruitment.

Jack didn't include buyout clauses in either of the 3 year deals ND gave their coordinators so they are prime to be poached because the school stealing them only has to pay their new contract... Terrible contract writing.

Don't get it twisted, nobody is saying that Long is so elite that he isn't replaceable, but acting like he didn't do an awesome job with what he had to work with is complete nonsense, IMO.

Hate to burst your bubble but Andy heck and/or Mike Yurcich are not coming to ND. Pretty clear Kelly wants a pro styled offense and why the heck would Andy heck leave the chiefs. I’m sure if he wanted to coach at his alma mater he would’ve been hired before Hiestand or Warinner already.

You can't blame him for going to 'Bama. For anyone not paying attention the last 25 years this just reinforces the fact the football program has not been a priority for the university for many decades. Thus, ND is a stepping stone and not a destination for top coaches.

Hate to burst your bubble but Andy heck and/or Mike Yurcich are not coming to ND. Pretty clear Kelly wants a pro styled offense and why the heck would Andy heck leave the chiefs. I’m sure if he wanted to coach at his alma mater he would’ve been hired before Hiestand or Warinner already.
What makes you think he wants a pro style offense ? and since when ?

What makes you think he wants a pro style offense ? and since when ?[/
What makes you think he wants a pro style offense ? and since when ?
Chip Long and Denbrock both ran prostyled offenses. ND uses this as a recruiting tool to recruits saying it’ll prepare them for the NFL. Also, we just hired lea for continuity purposes. I don’t think they’ll change around the offense too much especially after the year we had running the football. Look at Michigan when they went from Lloyd Carr to Rich Rod. There’s an adjustment period that Kelly does not have the luxury of.

Different sources are citing several names up for consideration for this job, so there may be something to this, may be nothing to it.

At least elko and long were not scrubs that no other school wanted, lack to stability can take a toll of a program.

Is this the same person who was posting about lack of stability from football program ? So the answer is more staff changes. ?

My take on IIO’s thinking is that you want to keep your best coordinators/coaches but should those that seem to be underperforming leave then that is not necessarily a bad thing.
The problem is ND seems to be easy pickings for other programs. In addition stability at the head coach position, the head coach needs some continuity with coordinators to develop a working relationship and plan. Stability and continuity are difficult when coach poaching is constant and contracts are meaningless.
Coaches even those under contract are up for auction.

Justified, you are correct about coaching stability, but look at how many coaches leave AL. They just lost their second DC in two years. A key in my mind is to not lose a coach for a lateral move. Bama doesn't do that. Harry left for a Pro job which is understandable. Elko is understandable because he allegedly was offered an excellent amount of money AND he accepted the offer, then reneged. Can't balme ND for saying "Good Luck". It will interesting to see if others leave ND for lateral jobs. To me, that is a tell tale sign of issues.

Reactions: cgaynor
The hits keep on coming. Chip Long rumored to be in the running to be the next OC at Bama. Ouch.

LONG? Really?

I have to assume that Saban would have a line up of better candidates - in as much as Saban has historically run a 'PRO-STYLE' offense and Long runs a 'Spread Offense' - unless Saban is changing his offensive philosophy from an offense which has obviously worked well for him

My take on IIO’s thinking is that you want to keep your best coordinators/coaches but should those that seem to be underperforming leave then that is not necessarily a bad thing.
The problem is ND seems to be easy pickings for other programs. In addition stability at the head coach position, the head coach needs some continuity with coordinators to develop a working relationship and plan. Stability and continuity are difficult when coach poaching is constant and contracts are meaningless.
Coaches even those under contract are up for auction.

Kelly may not be the coach that gets the Irish to be NC's. However, dealing with the way contracts are made and constant changes in key coaching is a big deal.

https://www.onefootdown.com/2018/1/...t-offensive-coordinator-at-alabama-nick-saban

Chip, may not be elite but I thought he was damn good.
Honestly, these admin people (decision makers at ND) with JS make Kelly's job harder than it should. Whomever the next coach is they need proper support. And will the admin give the next coach proper support? Also, Kelly's contract is until 2021 do they have the gonads to let him go now or wait until he leaves

To my limited knowledge, Long’s name has only surfaced on Alabama message boards, and has not been among those listed in articles as under consideration. I read that Long is from Alabama, and given ND’s running stats his first year here, it’s pretty logical for posters to throw his name out. No different than those of us wanting Heck as OL coach. Not that something may not develop in this regard, but talking about his replacement seems way premature imo.

Excellent explanation. Throw in Wimbush’s timid running post Wake game and we became really easy to defend. Long did a really good job given Wimbush’s struggles, and I hope we have him for another two years.

Is this the same person who was posting about lack of stability from football program ? So the answer is more staff changes. ?

My suggested staff changes (and they were a pipe dream anyways) were clearly in a scenario in which Long left for Alabama. The only other coach I'd be fine losing in that scenario is Delvaughn Alexander. I don't really think he's a great recruiter and I think when you compare the job Mike Denbrock did to prepare his WR's on an annual basis vs what we saw from Alexander's group, it was a huge difference (in a negative sense) in year one. He's a USC guy anyways. I don't want a USC guy recruiting for ND. Period.

Mike Yurcich would be a dream hire. He's coached quarterbacks his entire career. He'd be fantastic running the QB room. Autry Denson would remain the RB coach. No change there. Harry Hiestand left. ND has to replace him. Andy Heck would be my first choice if he was interested. The tight ends are currently coached by Long, if he left they would need another coach. Jeff Quinn is already on staff and has experience coaching along the offensive line and has worked with tight ends. Alexander would be the only coach I'd be happy for ND to part with. Kasey Dunn works under Yurcich and might be the best WR coach in the country. Top 5 anyways.

Anyone heard any info on safety position coach? I haven't heard a peep.

Anyone heard any info on safety position coach? I haven't heard a peep.

Demetrice Martin would be awesome. Elite, elite recruiter and Lea coached with him previously.

Jeff Burris doesn't have the experience but I think he's going to be an excellent coach and the South Carolina native could do really well in the South if he put effort into recruiting.

Last edited:
Give Mike Mularky a call lol... No chance he's without an NFL job past today, but call him!

Long's from Alabama, so not surprising he might be linked to this opening. However, I doubt Saban hires such a young coach. They usually get their co-ordinators straight from the NFL.

Long's from Alabama, so not surprising he might be linked to this opening. However, I doubt Saban hires such a young coach. They usually get their co-ordinators straight from the NFL.
Neither Smart, Pruitt, McElwain, Kiffen, Sark or the guy who just left came from the NFL.

And this is just my opinion but you love to assume things and run your trap like it's gospel.
My big ****ing deal quote if he leaves comes from the simple fact of repeatedly trying to run laterally that takes forever to get the edge against really fast defenses.
How about this one...running the infamous WR spot pass/screen repeatedly...but wait it gets better. While running that play we have our fastest reciever on that side used as the blocker and our lone good blocking reciever as the pass catcher. That play was run repeatedly all year. Do you know how many times Stepherson was used as the pass catcher on that play? Twice. Two times all year. TWICE. Is Long in charge of the personnel decisions on formations and such or is it Kelly because either way it's wrong.

Moreover the above are two gigantic examples that is so BK. So Long came in and called BK's offense? No? Damn sure wasn't much different.
I'm fully aware the short comings of Brandon Wimbush and how it hurts our passing.

It has nothing to do with my big ****ing deal sentiment toward Long leaving or not.
It's Brian Kelly 2.0

This is just a tiny example of what is MY opinion and why I yawn at the news of someone looking to swipe Long.

As far as not knowing football anytime you'd like to have such a discussion let's go.

Go Irish!

Reactions: francade
Neither Smart, Pruitt, McElwain, Kiffen, Sark or the guy who just left came from the NFL.

I should've clarified Offensive Coordinators. Daboll came from the NFL. Before him, Kiffin and Sark had been head coaches at USC and elsewhere. Saban throws a lot of money around and brings in high-priced OCs.
On defense, he usually just grooms them himself, since he's the one basically running it.
He may offer Long, but compared to his last several OC hires, Long isn't nearly as experienced.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT