ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Schedule thoughts

wfeldmann

Shakes Down The Thunder
Mar 11, 2007
Pasco, Wa
After watching the spring game this year I believe this is the year we will rely upon the running game more than at any time in Brian Kelly's time. There were big holes for the backs to run through and the offensive line seemed to be in sync even this early in the season. If we can rush for 200 yards or more per game this year Notre Dame will definitely be in the playoffs. Not to mention the younger guys that got plenty of playing time last year. Plus year 2 of BVG will improve in many areas and the safeties seem to be more confident and vocal.

Here is my very early breakdown of the games this year.

TEXAS
Most likely will be using the same QB that started most games last year (Swoopes). If that is the case Texas will not be that explosive offensively and their defense is still 2 years away from playing elite. Texas's strength will be rushing and I believe ND's rush defense will certainly show up. Texas has struggled in the last few years against teams that have a decent rushing attack and ND should be able to exploit that. Their secondary is not that great and ND has 3 legitimate WR's.
ND- 31
Texas - 17

Virginia
Do not see much threat from Virginia. They were very weak last year rushing the ball and the QB position is shaky at best. When one of the most important positions is not accounted for it makes for a long year coupled with not having a go to receiver or a stout defense they have nothing to hang their hat on.
ND- 35
Virginia - 13

GEORGIA TECH

This game I believe will be either the most difficult of second most difficult on the schedule. GT is an option team that can throw the ball better than Navy and they have athletes in the skill position spots that will definitely create issues. If BVG does not attack, but rather sits back and reacts and not attack ND will lose this game.
ND- 28
GT - 24

UMASS
Not much to say here except this is as close as you can get to scheduling a FCS school.
ND - 42
Mass - 10

Clemson
Very tough game. Clemson has both above average offenses and defenses and the athletes to play with ND. This will come down to execution and coaching. If ND defense is playing like it did in the first 5 games of last year they win. If they play like the last 6 games we lose. Hopefully it is the first 5 games.
ND - 27
Clemson - 24

NAVY
Everyone knows what Navy does, but they do it flawlessly. Hopefully BVG changes his game plan this year otherwise ND will lose this game. Keenan Reynolds will get his usual production, but ND just has to limit the other players from doing any damage. ND will lose this game if they turn the ball over more than once.
ND - 38
Navy - 28

SOUTHERN CAL
USC has everything in place now that he sanctions are over and this will be ND's toughest test. I just am not convinced yet that Brian Kelly calls a great game in tough matchups and given that these two teams are evenly matched and ND has not yet found an edge rusher i have to give the edge to USC.
ND - 24
USC - 27

Temple
One step up from UMass. Rushing last year was atrocious and the defense was only slightly better. No QB, RB and 1 decent WR for the Owls.
ND - 49
Mass - 6

Pittsburgh
Pitt has a very good rushing game, but not good at passing at all. A 1 dimensional team on offense. Their defense if decent, so this will be a close game as well. Plus Pitt always plays ND tough.
ND - 27
Pitt - 21

WAKE FOREST
A game where it should be a blowout, but ND always finds a way to play down to the competition, so it will be closer than people think.
ND - 24
WF - 17

BOSTON COLLEGE
Always plays ND hard. BC seems to always play great defense against ND, so this will be low scoring, but BC does not have a fearsome offense, so it will be a low scoring game.
ND - 17
BC - 13

Stanford
This game could very well have playoff implications for ND. Stanford will have already been knocked out, so only ND will be playing for anything here. I believe this is the year we finally have the horses and depth to pull away when it counts.
ND - 28
Stanford - 14

W Texas 21 ND 27
W At Virginia 21 ND 31
L GT 37 ND 27
W Umass 14 ND 35
L At Clemson 42 ND 35
W Navy 14 ND 42
L USC 44 ND 24
W Temple 3 ND 38
W At Pitt 27 ND 28
W At Wake 17 ND 35
L At BC 28 ND 27
W At Stanford 38 ND 40

8+4 with no Conference Championship Game heading to the Music City Bowl

348: you are one of my favorite contributors but I don't think the lads will go through 2015 undefeated. In fact, I'm looking at two losses with a potential of a third. I feel like I'm in the movie "Groundhog Day" because I keep repeating myself. Take your pick who the losses will come to. Texas, G Tech, Clemson, Navy, USC, Pitt, BC, Stanford. In order for ND to even get to ten wins, the season has to be near flawless with no key suspensions, transfers, or injuries. No penalty or turnover monster that hangs around all season long. BK doesn't get in his own way. And that doesn't even take into account a solid Special Teams unit that the Irish may or may not have. That's how I see it. Personally, I see the two losses coming to Clemson and USC.

348: you are one of my favorite contributors but I don't think the lads will go through 2015 undefeated. In fact, I'm looking at two losses with a potential of a third. I feel like I'm in the movie "Groundhog Day" because I keep repeating myself. Take your pick who the losses will come to. Texas, G Tech, Clemson, Navy, USC, Pitt, BC, Stanford. In order for ND to even get to ten wins, the season has to be near flawless with no key suspensions, transfers, or injuries. No penalty or turnover monster that hangs around all season long. BK doesn't get in his own way. And that doesn't even take into account a solid Special Teams unit that the Irish may or may not have. That's how I see it. Personally, I see the two losses coming to Clemson and USC.

+++ I see So Cal as a toss up, since game being played at South Bend.
Now clemson, there will be a real dog fight. We need a lights out defense vs. Ga Tech
my 1 st post under this new system, time will tell....
GOOOO IRISH, we want victories!

Every game ND plays this year is winnable, IMO. That said, it will take a lot of effort and a little luck.

I think Zaire and Golson will play together. ND will try to win in all for 2015 season.The offense must be stronger to keep QB to look and pass good one

IMO If ND is undefeated going into the USC game they will play for the National Championship.

raise your hand if you had ND going undefeated in 2014!
in 2013?
Since 1900 : 12 undefeated untied teams (5 under Rockne)
It does not happen every year; but if a fan predicts it every year - eventually they will be right!
AND they will crow "I told you so!"

Last edited:
On the flip side, if ND does go undefeated in 2015 (which they won't), I will be the first to call myself out. I never expected 2013. Even going into USC. Then, I never expected the outcome of the BCS title game because by that time, I was a believer. I find no ill will towards overly optimistic fans. Ernie Banks was one of my all time favorites for crying out loud. I just tend to live in Realville and that leads me to a two loss 2015. As I said earlier somewhere, this team might have the kind of chemistry that thrives in a Clemson Saturday night prime time environment. If they look solid with a win at Clemson I might make a small amendment to my USC prediction. I know everyone is holding their collective breath with anticipation for that.

12-0
0-12
anything in between

no Edwin Cayce's here: just fans of various 'fever'.

some intellect >= fever
some fever > intellect
some no fever, no intellect

Last edited:
I will be very happy with a 10-2 regular season with this schedule.

This is at least a 10-2 team talent wise. The GT game scares me with that option attack but their backfield will be young this year and their defense is average. It's also a home game. I am also worried about USC.

GT, Clemson, USC are questionable - especially if there isn't sig improvement on the D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT