ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Watts

Wins Nagurski Award!

Congrats man!
A testament for persevering through adversity, it would have been really easy for X Watts to jump in the portal and throw in the towel at ND.

Failing and getting knocked down, teaches some of the most important life lessons. This portal business is having some unintended negative consequences on young men.

Awesome. and I just want to again brag that I predicted this guy would be a DB and not a WR. Well I didn't predict that it would actually happen, the coaches made the switch themselves. But I totally thought he would be better of on defense, as a safety. He had electric athletic ability, but somehow it seemed too raw for WR, where you need to be all polished, and might be better utilized as a safety....

So that's awesome. I suppose this means he's going to turn pro, but he's earned it....

Reactions: Kelso86
Great honor but quite frankly I am shocked by this. At least two finalists should have been ahead of him. Then I saw his statement that he struggled to find his place on the team, has persevered, and I am happy for him.

Great honor but quite frankly I am shocked by this. At least two finalists should have been ahead of him. Then I saw his statement that he struggled to find his place on the team, has persevered, and I am happy for him.
Of course you would. Go back to your normal board

Of course you would. Go back to your normal board
I didn’t say he’s not deserving. Just saying I was surprised. The award has been around for 30 years and a free safety has never won it until now. Do you think his impact was so outstanding it warranted the first free safety (and second safety overall - Roy Williams) to ever win the award? He was a ballhawk and should have been in the running, I’m just surprised the voters picked this particular free safety as the first one is all. I mean not even Ed Reed won it and he had 9 picks his last year. Not even Sean Taylor won it. They don’t usually give the award to a free or strong safety. Not a crazy opinion to be surprised based on history.

Last edited:
He's undecided. More likely he comes back I'd say
He needs to, he was the best splash play defender in the country but honestly not even close to the best every down defender

Has a lot to still work on

I didn’t say he’s not deserving. Just saying I was surprised. The award has been around for 30 years and a free safety has never won it until now. Do you think his impact was so outstanding it warranted the first free safety (and second safety overall - Roy Williams) to ever win the award? He was a ballhawk and should have been in the running, I’m just surprised the voters picked this particular free safety as the first one is all. I mean not even Ed Reed won it and he had 9 picks his last year. Not even Sean Taylor won it. They don’t usually give the award to a free or strong safety. Not a crazy opinion to be surprised based on history.
comparing Watts to Reed and Taylor winning the award is irrelevant. Who was their competition for the award 20 years ago? Competition was light this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT