ADVERTISEMENT

Would any of these players make us better?

Jay Hayes isn’t playing at all at UGA so I can’t say he would be playing here....

Eq St Brown
Kevin Stepherson
Josh Adams
Jay Hayes
St. Brown yes, but doubt we'd see his full potential, as he wasn't a football player
Stepherson-if his head was on right... Absolutely.
Adams-how is this even a question?
Hayes-if he would have put on some weight to move to NT or DT, then absolutely. He and Tillery would be destroying people together.

Hayes- would be nice to have him in the rotation.

Adams- better than Jafar.

Esb/Steph- no thanks.

From a pure talent perspective all would have benefit aside from maybe Hayes. Although an argument could be made if he could move inside and provide depth. MDT is a steep fall off after hinish and Bonner.

I wouldn't trade the effort or intensity that the wide receivers generally play with this year for Brown or Stepherson. Plus the pure talent drop off for boykin and claypool is minimal.

Adams would absolutely be a great addition. Great attitude great talent. Keeps getting more PT with the eagles.

This team could really use a kevin stepherson in the offense right now .. someone who can make the defense pay when they start playing man coverage and bring the safeties in.

ND is sorely lacking a deep threat/playmaker who can run past the defense.

Hoping Kevin Austin can develop into that kind of player next year.

Last edited:
Stepherson by a long shot ! He was Will Fuller on steroids with better hands ! The Irish would average 50 points a game with Kevin.

Dont you mean Will Fuller driving on a suspended license, in possession of weed, with stolen merchandise?

He is Will Fuller on steriods? Yet, Will Fuller was a star at ND, a #1 draft pick and has over 100 catches 2.5 years into his NFL career.

And the last thing i read about KS was that he ended up in the Fulton County Jail for violation of parole from an earlier marijuana arrest.

So lets compromise our standards and throw out all the rules on player conduct and bring back a selfish and unreliable player because he runs fast. That sounds like a really great idea!

To quote Mike Ditka "Potential is a french word that means you havent done shi# yet".

Well I'll ask a question about a guy still on the roster and that's Michael Young. Why don't we try deep shots with him more often. I understand he's the #2 behind Boykin but there has to be a way to get both on the field and not give up intent of the play.

A further developed Stepherson, with his head on straight and contributing at his best, would start on this team. Unfortunately, that's not who he is....

I'll pass on EQ St. Brown. Anybody who is going to sulk and stop competing because he's frustrated with the accuracy of his quarterback is a player you don't need. Lots of skill. Lacks thr attitude to match it...

Jay Hayes at 295lbs, in rotation at NG / DT would be really valuable with MTA injured all season. Jay Hayes as a 285lb SDE with no edge pass rushing ability is a pass. Had he willing to transition to DT his junior and senior year (as well as his 5th), he could have been a key contributor there.

Josh Adams would be an outstanding compliment to Dexter Williams and would allow Jafar Armstrong to be worked in, slowly, as the third back. That would be the perfect role for Armstrong in his first season at a new position. My only concern is that Josh Adams returnimg woulf have stiffled Dexter's opportunity. The staff didn't seem to want to play Dexter until they had to.

Concur Dexter coming off a 4 game suspension would have had spot duty behind Adams. And who knows how that would have effected his attitude and confidence?

The RB position was essentially waiting for him when he got back and then he inherited Ian Book and has a great game out of the gate vs Stanford.

You could not have scripted it better for ND or Dexter. Adams is here I do not believe Dexter 2018 happens. I love this roster as constructed.
And as the Head Coach said "The sum is greater than its individual parts". And 11-0 is perfect. Dont screw with perfect.

Dexter's biggest problem is that he can't handle volume very well and he's a one dimensional running back. And even though he's mostly only used on 1st and 2nd downs he needs someone else who can spell him/ eat up some carries. Tony Jones leaves way too many yards on the field, and Armstrong hasn't been the same since he got injured early in the season.

This is why RB recruiting really needs to improve going forward (not many signs that it is either).

Last edited:
KS head was never on straight. Too immature. Too selfish. Too short-sighted. Never even was there a chance that he could sustain success at ND.

Give me bad asses like Claypool, Boykin, and Finke all day. To quote John Calipari: "toughness isn't roughness". Tough guys get it done everyday, and meet expectations off the field, during practice, and on gameday.

Just showing up on Saturday's relying on your God-given talents isn't enough at ND. It's gotta be an all in- everyday mentality. Guys like KS just aren't tough enough.

Reactions: IrishFforida
Eq St Brown
Kevin Stepherson
Josh Adams
Jay Hayes
Stepherson. Not even close.

None of our receivers are fast. Not even quick.

Did you see Finke trying to run a reverse against Syracuse?

That doesn't mean our group of pass catchers aren't good because honestly we might have the best group in the country. They're a match-up nightmare.

Speed they do not possess.

Stepherson. Not even close.

None of our receivers are fast. Not even quick.

Did you see Finke trying to run a reverse against Syracuse?

That doesn't mean our group of pass catchers aren't good because honestly we might have the best group in the country. They're a match-up nightmare.

Speed they do not possess.
How could you possibly trust Stepherson?

Reactions: IrishFforida
How could you possibly trust Stepherson?
Listen....the question wasn't about character
..now was it?

Why can't abybody just ask a question and get answered on just the question without dissecting all the window dressing and what may or may not have happened. Good lord.

He asked could any off the list make us better.

One thing we lack is speed.

Reactions: Mick Killme
Listen....the question wasn't about character
..now was it?

Why can't abybody just ask a question and get answered on just the question without dissecting all the window dressing and what may or may not have happened. Good lord.

He asked could any off the list make us better.

One thing we lack is speed.
Because the kid was a nitwit. Addition by subtraction.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Fulton County Jail for violation of parole.

He would likely however be the leading receiver in a game against the guards.
But would he have to learn all the nuances like blocking and picking. Would the warden just let him play because he is fast, a great athlete, runs great patterns, and has great hands ? Would the Warden use the slow white meth dealer as a receiver in his place because he can block better?

Yeah, but the question didn't say "character aside".

Character matters.
Love you IrishMike but when it comes to football character is overrated. The 1995 Nebraska team was one of the best ever and had many undesirables on it like convicted e murderor Mike Rozier. Look at the Cane teams and the Oklahoma teams of the 80's. Same thing with Florida with Urban as coach.

Yeah, but the question didn't say "character aside".

Character matters.
Not speaking for the OP...but honestly...if character mattered to the question at hand then half the list is gone. The other half we don't need.

St. Brown was a bawl baby.

Stepherson doesnt care of team rules or laws TBH.

Adams is fine but we don't NEED him.

Hayes is fine but we don't NEED him.

So assuming the question is just based on pure skill set ..
The one thing we don't have is speed at wideouts.

I'd love to see four wides wjth Boykin, Claypool, Finke and Stepherson.

Stepherson is our quick slant or deep route between the hash.

Coach Dale: I would hope you support who we are, not who we are not.

These six individuals have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line 23 nights in the next 4 months to represent you, this High School.

That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect.

This is your team.

Reactions: IrishMike409
At ND, character always matters.
Wow.......

The question was hypothetical because none of those players we can have. Zero chance that we could actually have the listed players.

So in other words NOT REALITY. In even further words... it's irrelevant..because it's not reality .

So basing the question and answer on fantasy land

I'd take a fast receiver.

Fwiw- I played and coached college basketball. I don't want assholes on my team. Your chances of winning decrease dramatically. Especially at a place like ND where off field expectations rare accelerated.

Fwiw- I played and coached college basketball. I don't want assholes on my team. Your chances of winning decrease dramatically. Especially at a place like ND where off field expectations rare accelerated.
WTF and WHO the fuk, said anything about pesonality.

It was a question about which player... (skill set) could help us.

The question wasn't asked which of these four players has the best character.

If we are basing our answers on character then three of the four are a no go right off the bat.

Character within the team frame matters in any level.

Again though the question was posed as in if they all had good character and didn't break team rules or laws...who could help us.

That's how I took the question. Not who do we want to have tea and crumpets with

Wow.......

The question was hypothetical because none of those players we can have. Zero chance that we could actually have the listed players.

So in other words NOT REALITY. In even further words... it's irrelevant..because it's not reality .

So basing the question and answer on fantasy land

I'd take a fast receiver.
If it is fantasy, then I would go with Jerry Rice

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT