ADVERTISEMENT

With the Sanford hire...

I suspect that he will be the new recruiting co-ordinator.

As long as it doesnt involve a pay cut, he might not care. Denbrock seems to be very humble... and in reality, I'm not sure he was more than a figurehead OC anyways.

That's another thing about the OC title position. Being an OC under Kelly thus far just means you make more money than a position coach.

I just have a feeling that this will be a home run hire from a play calling standpoint. My gut tells me that Sanford will call the plays next year.

One has to think that the players think this is BS. You hire a 33 yr old guy outside your program to be your OC and pass up and let go a guy (Alford) who's been with you for 6 years and has proven himself year in and year out in your program and to your players?

I'd leave if I was Alford too. I put in all this time and prove myself, know your system inside and out, know ND, know my players...and then you give the OC job to someone with less experience and has proven less?

Hmmmmmm....

ohwell.r191677.gif

"'d leave if I was Alford too. I put in all this time and prove myself, know your system inside and out, know ND, know my players...and then you give the OC job to someone with less experience and has proven less?"

Didnt Alford leave before we pursued and hired Sanford?

Originally posted by dwqwiz:
One has to think that the players think this is BS. You hire a 33 yr old guy outside your program to be your OC and pass up and let go a guy (Alford) who's been with you for 6 years and has proven himself year in and year out in your program and to your players?

I'd leave if I was Alford too. I put in all this time and prove myself, know your system inside and out, know ND, know my players...and then you give the OC job to someone with less experience and has proven less?

Hmmmmmm....

ohwell.r191677.gif
Because BK didn't think he would be a capable OC. He wasn't that good of a RB coach and you want to promote him.

Being an engaging guy in the living room, does not mean you're qualified to take the reins of an offense, As posted by several others, Alford's primary job was to coach the Running Backs, and he was at best mediocre. Greg Bryant's slow development is a prime example of a coach not getting the job done,

I don't like to speculate on this matter, but I am friends with 2 gentleman who coached Greg at American Heritage HS in Delray Beach, FL, And by all accounts he is an unselfish young man, who is very,very accepting of coaching

For him to take almost 2 full years to grasp the concept of the one cut Zone System, tells me that Coach Alford needed to become a better Running Backs Coach,

It's easy to coach a "natural" like Folston, give him the ball and he feels it, But guys like Atkinson and Bryant, need to be coached, they are both explosive athletes whom have both underachieved, That's on the player, but that's on the Coach as well,

Why would you promote someone to a coordinator, whom is not crushing it as a position coach?

Originally posted by floridairish:

Being an engaging guy in the living room, does not mean you're qualified to take the reins of an offense, As posted by several others, Alford's primary job was to coach the Running Backs, and he was at best mediocre. Greg Bryant's slow development is a prime example of a coach not getting the job done,

I don't like to speculate on this matter, but I am friends with 2 gentleman who coached Greg at American Heritage HS in Delray Beach, FL, And by all accounts he is an unselfish young man, who is very,very accepting of coaching

For him to take almost 2 full years to grasp the concept of the one cut Zone System, tells me that Coach Alford needed to become a better Running Backs Coach,

It's easy to coach a "natural" like Folston, give him the ball and he feels it, But guys like Atkinson and Bryant, need to be coached, they are both explosive athletes whom have both underachieved, That's on the player, but that's on the Coach as well,

Why would you promote someone to a coordinator, whom is not crushing it as a position coach?
I;m not a blame guy but I agree re Bryant -- if alford was a magic wand guy Bryant would already have 1000 yds under his belt --not saying Alford wasn't good at what he did but clearly he is no miracle worker -- he is replacable

to your point about Folston -- you don't coach what he's got

Hmmmmmm....

ohwell.r191677.gif
All stars line up including comments from Alford, and Kelly that Alford wasn't strong enough in the X's and O's to serve as the OC. And Tony feels that the best way to up his game and one day be a HC is to move to working under Urban.

Sometimes you can be good at what you do, but when trying to be taught you need a certain type of input. Maybe he doesn't learn off of Kelly the way he wants to, but believes he can, or knows he can off of Urban. There is no wrong in that. He is proven as a recruiter, and although there hasn't been a huge RB surge while he has been there, they have done a good job. And it is hard to tell how much of that is him, how much is the system Kelly runs, how much is the players themselves.

I think all around this is a good move. Do you think Saban would have been as successful as he is at Alabama if he had stayed at Michigan State? Sometimes a change in scenery is all it takes to jump start a career. Especially in this field.

Floridairish Question for you as far as coaches go who do you feel is the best fit for the open position for the running back coach position at Notre Dame Denson or Mccoulough

Hmmmmmm....

ohwell.r191677.gif
Don't think Alford was "let go". He left to pursue other opportunities.
He was not going to be the OC at Notre Dame, and he's not the OC at Ohio State.

He left to pad his resume with other programs/positions. He wants to be a head coach
someday. He needs more experience, with other programs, to achieve that. He didn't
feel staying at one school for a long duration would do that for him.

Danny IMO the only thing working in Denson's favor is his close ties to the southern part of Florida. This is the most fertile recruiting ground for skill players in the nation bar none.

But McCullough is the far more accomplished football coach. And with these two backs, I would ensure they received the best coaching money can buy. These guys can be special. But they have to be coached.

Why all the negative and inaccurate statements about Alford. He was a class guy, a real ND man (did not attend ND but certainly knew and lived the values) and a good RB coach.

What was wrong with Bryant, outside the fact the OC never gave him the ball? This past season Bryant average 5.7 ypc. Folston averaged 5.4. If Bryant had enough carries to qualify he would have had the 33rd best ypc in the NCAA. The only problem with Bryant was that the OC refused to give him the ball.

Last year Atkinson averaged 6.3 ypc. Same story, they refused to give him the ball. Folston averaged 5.6 ypc last year.

2012 Riddick averaged 5 ypc, Wood 6.7 ypc and Atkinson 7.4 ypc.

The problem with the running game has NOT been a lack of talent at the RB position.

Alford is a great person, great recruiter and a great coach and no matter how you spin it, it's a loss for ND.

By the way, Meyer didn't get to be one of the best coaches in CFB by hiring bad coaches.

jr97:

agree; he did not accept a job to be a "yes" man at his stage of career development. He must have gotten some concessions. An up and coming coach is not going to jeopordize his development for a "figurehead job".
And why hire a Hotshot if you plan on just doing more of the same?

Expect he will have a noticeable effect on the offense from the start. Kizer and Winbush will benefit from this hire.

ND fans said Jack ought search for the 'hotshot-up n comers' to find someone for ND; this guy looks to fit that requirement. If nothing had changed then nothing would change. So expect change.

Originally posted by Java65:
Why all the negative and inaccurate statements about Alford. He was a class guy, a real ND man (did not attend ND but certainly knew and lived the values) and a good RB coach.

What was wrong with Bryant, outside the fact the OC never gave him the ball? This past season Bryant average 5.7 ypc. Folston averaged 5.4. If Bryant had enough carries to qualify he would have had the 33rd best ypc in the NCAA. The only problem with Bryant was that the OC refused to give him the ball.

Last year Atkinson averaged 6.3 ypc. Same story, they refused to give him the ball. Folston averaged 5.6 ypc last year.

2012 Riddick averaged 5 ypc, Wood 6.7 ypc and Atkinson 7.4 ypc.

The problem with the running game has NOT been a lack of talent at the RB position.

Alford is a great person, great recruiter and a great coach and no matter how you spin it, it's a loss for ND.

By the way, Meyer didn't get to be one of the best coaches in CFB by hiring bad coaches.
Great guy and great recruiter but an average RB coach at best.

Yards per carry is a meaningless statistic. Especially on such a small sample size of rushes. A good running game gains consistent yards. If a ball carrier runs for 0, -1, 1, 0 and +25, he is averaging 5 yards per rush but your running game stinks and has no consistency.

But if your guy runs for +4, +6, +3, +7 and +5. You're still averaging 5 yards per rush. But you're consistent, getting 1st downs and controlling the game. They way Greg Bryant was double and triple cutting, he was never going to be consistent. That's on the player AND the coach. Alford did a lousy job with Atkinson and Bryant.

This post was edited on 2/15 10:30 AM by floridairish

Bryant needs to learn one nugget that an old coach of mine taught us in high school...

"Don't miss a first down trying to get a touchdown!"

maybe fit him with an electronic device so if he turns E/W the coach could zap him too make him go N/S. Eventually the Zapper wouldn't be necessary! But the coach might want it on for kucks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT