vinnieboombah

All Star
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2002
Richardson , TX
After major detour, Mahone’s life back on track
5 Comments
By Keith ArnoldJan 21, 2016, 11:37 AM EST

Former Irish running back Will Mahone left the Notre Dame and the football program after an incident with Youngstown police resulted in an arrest and multiple criminal charges filed against him. It was the type of event that could’ve been life defining—Mahone not only lost his scholarship at Notre Dame, he stared down significant jail time.

But Matt Freeman of IrishSportsDaily.com has a wonderful update on Mahone, and the former running back has turned his life around, spending a year in the Teen Challenge program, a faith-based residential living facility that helps young men rebuild their lives.

Now Mahone’s life is back on track. He’s living healthy, enrolled in classes at Youngstown State, and maybe even rebooting his football career after leaving the Irish program in 2014.

“I am just eager to kind of finish up with school, but I am taking it one moment at time and enjoying being at school and having the opportunity to further my education,” Mahone told Irish Sports Daily. “I am seeing it more as an opportunity to do good in life and how it can help me with jobs. For my sake, I want to get my education.

“When I was at Notre Dame, I used to think just because I would graduate from Notre Dame, I could do anything I wanted. You have to know your craft even though you might have a degree in something.”

Do yourself a favor and head over to ISD and read the entire story.

Mahone will be talking with Youngstown State football coach Bo Pelini after Signing Day to see if there’s a role for him in the program. It’d be a great finish to a college experience that took a major detour but came out okay on the other side.

Reactions: spc311
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News