ADVERTISEMENT

Why the smile?

Why was Leonard smiling when he came to the sideline after throwing an interception. Was Freeman or Leonard asked what that was about?
Is this a serious question?

I have listened to every interview Riley Leonard gave after that NIU game. One thing I will not question regarding Leonard is his want to.

We all react and respond differently when faced with adversity.

Questioning a reaction after an interception seems a bit trivial to me.

I wonder if making that much money messes with your head. And you don't try as hard. Just because, you know, human nature. It's just one season, the money's already in the bank. He doesn't have to worry about being cut, and unless he has performance clauses in his NIL pay packet, he's already a millionaire.

So of course he wants to do well for the NFL, and keep honing his skills. But on some basic level there's a sense of like, I already got the money, and so I might just get a little bit complacent.

Is this a serious question?

I have listened to every interview Riley Leonard gave after that NIU game. One thing I will not question regarding Leonard is his want to.

We all react and respond differently when faced with adversity.

Questioning a reaction after an interception seems a bit trivial to me.
sjb75: I'm surprised by your response. Are you saying you don't think he smiled after the interception? Or, he smiled but that doesn't mean he doesn't "want to"? I don't ever recall a player smiling after a failed play. Aren't you curious?

sjb75: I'm surprised by your response. Are you saying you don't think he smiled after the interception? Or, he smiled but that doesn't mean he doesn't "want to"? I don't ever recall a player smiling after a failed play. Aren't you curious?
I play a lot of tennis and when I miss an obvious shot, sometimes I laugh about it, sometimes I curse under my breath. I think people do react differently to mistakes in sports. I really wouldn't give it any more thought than that.

Curious about what? To answer your question, no, I am not curious.

I wonder if making that much money messes with your head. And you don't try as hard. Just because, you know, human nature. It's just one season, the money's already in the bank. He doesn't have to worry about being cut, and unless he has performance clauses in his NIL pay packet, he's already a millionaire.

So of course he wants to do well for the NFL, and keep honing his skills. But on some basic level there's a sense of like, I already got the money, and so I might just get a little bit complacent.
I read somewhere that Riley has shared SOME PORTION of his payday with the offensive line. It was in a legitimate sports article, but I don't remember which.

As to the way an NIL payday can AFFECT A PLAYER'S HEAD, I was thinking of a possible RESPONSE to that which might also improve the ENTIRE CONCEPT.

DON'T GIVE NIL DEALS TO PLAYERS EXCLUSIVELY BUT TO POSITION GROUPS.

When you bring in an NIL QB, for instance, and the signing price is, say, $1.5 million, give that player, say, 75 to 85% of the money but then spread the rest of it around the rest of the existing position group, so that no matter who winds up being the QB, the "right player" has been rewarded to some degree and the investors have gotten at least SOME RETURN on their investment.

In other words, it's not an all or nothing FINANCIAL POSITION.

And the more you can pump up the acquisition price so that the ABSOLUTE NUMBER is more attractive, the larger share of it you can then dispense to the others in the position group which, in effect, for them serves also as a kind of STAY BONUS.

I think with a little more thought, this idea -- which is more or less just a FIRST DRAFT CONCEPT -- could be refined in a variety of ways.

Thoughts?

I read somewhere that Riley has shared SOME PORTION of his payday with the offensive line. It was in a legitimate sports article, but I don't remember which.

As to the way an NIL payday can AFFECT A PLAYER'S HEAD, I was thinking of a possible RESPONSE to that which might also improve the ENTIRE CONCEPT.

When you bring in an NIL QB, for instance, and the signing price is, say, $1.5 million, give that player, say, 75 to 85% of the money but then spread the rest of it around the rest of the existing position group, so that no matter who winds up being the QB, the "right player" has been rewarded to some degree and the investors have gotten at least SOME RETURN on their investment.

And the more you can pump up the acquisition price so that the ABSOLUTE NUMBER is more attractive, the larger share of it you can then dispense to the others in the position group which, in effect, for them serves also as a kind of STAY BONUS.

I think with a little more thought, this idea -- which is more or less just a FIRST DRAFT CONCEPT -- could be refined in a variety of ways.

Thoughts?
I'm sure programs are thinking and acting along similar lines. Every serious program has their own arrangement and their own philosophy, but I listened to a podcast with a top NIL entrepreneur who works with Oklahoma I believe it was, and I recall him alluding to similar type arrangements, and a concerted, deliberate effort to make sure everyone's taken care of. For the good of the program, and morale and esprit de corps and whatnot. I assume ND themselves pursues a similar line. They claim not to buy any players, I guess with the exception of RL and Hartman, and they get their money on the back end somehow. But you can be sure someone like Xavier Watts is out-earning, let's say Deion Colzie. So they have some sort of tiered system, quite naturally. This is the free market after all.

That is definitely one thing 'good for the sport' about NIL which presumably fans should appreciate. Guys returning for their senior year, as with Xavier Watts, even though he's apparently not a highly rated draft prospect, which I don't quite understand why as he's a hell of a player. But they come back because they can make real money. HC3 too. The NFL can wait.

But the QBs, no surprise, do command the outsize money. Full revenue share is going to be with us soon, and I don't even know what's going to happen to NIL in that case. Or what all the myriad details and implications. Fans think they're reeling trying to come with grips with NIL, wait 'til that change is upon us.

Reactions: 4-4-3

Exactly, what NIL has done to the game is a real shame.

I'm sure programs are thinking and acting along similar lines. Every serious program has their own arrangement and their own philosophy, but I listened to a podcast with a top NIL entrepreneur who works with Oklahoma I believe it was, and I recall him alluding to similar type arrangements, and a concerted, deliberate effort to make sure everyone's taken care of. For the good of the program, and morale and esprit de corps and whatnot. I assume ND themselves pursues a similar line. They claim not to buy any players, I guess with the exception of RL and Hartman, and they get their money on the back end somehow. But you can be sure someone like Xavier Watts is out-earning, let's say Deion Colzie. So they have some sort of tiered system, quite naturally. This is the free market after all.

That is definitely one thing 'good for the sport' about NIL which presumably fans should appreciate. Guys returning for their senior year, as with Xavier Watts, even though he's apparently not a highly rated draft prospect, which I don't quite understand why as he's a hell of a player. But they come back because they can make real money. HC3 too. The NFL can wait.

But the QBs, no surprise, do command the outsize money. Full revenue share is going to be with us soon, and I don't even know what's going to happen to NIL in that case. Or what all the myriad details and implications. Fans think they're reeling trying to come with grips with NIL, wait 'til that change is upon us.
A garbage post.

If anything, it’s the opposite for RL. You probably feel higher expectations and inadequate making that much cash.

I play a lot of tennis and when I miss an obvious shot, sometimes I laugh about it, sometimes I curse under my breath. I think people do react differently to mistakes in sports. I really wouldn't give it any more thought than that.
Amen, I hit a lot of bad golf shots but learned to laugh them off. Beating myself up only compounds the problem. Don’t take yourself too seriously, just a game.

Reactions: christophero
If anything, it’s the opposite for RL. You probably feel higher expectations and inadequate making that much cash.
I guess I mean like, the job is his. And the money is proof that the job is yours. They don't pay you 1.5 mil to sit on the bench. And that could mess with your head, and your motivation. Your brain understands on some level that you are the man. You don't have to sweat it.

Good comments containing a lot of INFO I was unaware of.

And, YES, revenue sharing could either EVISCERATE the entire NIL concept or COMPLICATE it beyond belief.

My concern is coaches having their hands tied by matters EXTRANEOUS to performance in the HERE AND NOW. Any time there are explicit or even IMPLIED PREFERENCES, INTEGRITY takes a BACK SEAT.

What’s making me NOT smile is at freeman’s presser for Purdue he said they didn’t even consider replacing Leonard after a bad performance.

Again can’t give angelli 1 series when the starter was clearly having a bad game. This inability to adapt will be his demise at ND unfortunately. Jmo.

What’s making me NOT smile is at freeman’s presser for Purdue he said they didn’t even consider replacing Leonard after a bad performance.

Again can’t give angelli 1 series when the starter was clearly having a bad game. This inability to adapt will be his demise at ND unfortunately. Jmo.
Even Kelly, who was rigid af pulled bad performing QB's

Exactly, what NIL has done to the game is a real shame.
How so ? I think it's way,way too early in the process to make an evaluation good or bad. NIL is still in it's infancy. Until there are some true universal protocols in place it will remain a fluid situation. We are at the place we are for one simple reason and one only. The NCAAs absolute refusal to address an issue that had been simmering in the background for a long time.

Thoughts?
Here's the rub. Where are decisions like those you propose made ? 28 states currently have NIL legislation on the books. The remaining 22 currently have none though some are working on it. The NCAA is worthless ( as usual ) on the subject. They would like nothing more than to have Congress (Good God) resolve the problem that they themselves created. Until there are true, agreed upon guidelines established and a mechanism in place to oversee them you will continue to have the situation you do. I'm in the middle of it professionally and the certainty of uncertainty has kept me very busy. Ultimately revenue sharing looks to be the only true avenue to real regulation in my opinion.

Here's the rub. Where are decisions like those you propose made ? 28 states currently have NIL legislation on the books. The remaining 22 currently have none though some are working on it. The NCAA is worthless ( as usual ) on the subject. They would like nothing more than to have Congress (Good God) resolve the problem that they themselves created. Until there are true, agreed upon guidelines established and a mechanism in place to oversee them you will continue to have the situation you do. I'm in the middle of it professionally and the certainty of uncertainty has kept me very busy. Ultimately revenue sharing looks to be the only true avenue to real regulation in my opinion.
From what I've been reading, and with pending litigation, it appears they are moving more toward pay for play. I believe at some point that's where it's going to go, and honestly I would prefer it over the current system as it would bring more stability overall. It's going to be interesting to see the decision ND makes when it gets to that point. Do they jump in with both feet or do they say thanks but no thanks, we will join the Ivy's.

Reactions: echowaker
His smile was likely him laughing at himself over a stupid mistake; complete with 80,000 spectators. I don't see any reason to think he's behaving in some disrespectful or negative way at all. Dude is processing a very unfortunate error in judgement with major ramifications...and he knows it.

How did the NCAA create this problem? You mean by originally prohibiting, and forbidding players from making any money upon pain of expulsion from the sport? That little move they pulled? And pulling out every possible stop to keep the exploitation racket alive as long as legally viable? That's more than creating the problem, that IS the problem. The NCAA is the problem, their existence is the problem. They were about as likely to be proactive on the subject as there is peace in the Middle East.

And they still want to reverse the whole thing by an act of congress, and return to the plantation system, even if the courts for their part have already declared them criminals. So we'll just change the law, and it won't be illegal anymore, and the SCOTUS can't touch us. And for someone supposedly right in the thick of this mess as you keep alluding to you sound particularly spineless and circumspect, and you vaguely fuss and whimper over all the possibly applicable legal niceties at the state level, without which I suppose they wouldn't need someone like you. They probably don't need you in any event. But I'm sure there's money to be made out this upheaval for any number of hangers-on. Money that could be going to the players....

How did the NCAA create this problem? You mean by originally prohibiting, and forbidding players from making any money upon pain of expulsion from the sport? That little move they pulled? And pulling out every possible stop to keep the exploitation racket alive as long as legally viable? That's more than creating the problem, that IS the problem. The NCAA is the problem, their existence is the problem. They were about as likely to be proactive on the subject as there is peace in the Middle East.

And they still want to reverse the whole thing by an act of congress, and return to the plantation system, even if the courts for their part have already declared them criminals. So we'll just change the law, and it won't be illegal anymore, and the SCOTUS can't touch us. And for someone supposedly right in the thick of this mess as you keep alluding to you sound particularly spineless and circumspect, and you vaguely fuss and whimper over all the possibly applicable legal niceties at the state level, without which I suppose they wouldn't need someone like you. They probably don't need you in any event. But I'm sure there's money to be made out this upheaval for any number of hangers-on. Money that could be going to the players....
Yes they are the problem. They had ample opportunities to be proactive and chose not to be. What we have now was never the original intent of the movement. What athletes wanted was the same opportunities of any other student on full scholarship. Their pigheadedness and incompetence got us here. Fuss and whimper ? How so ? You don't have the vaguest idea what I do. We offer advice and guidelines to schools and conferences in legally managing their role in NIL. Educate yourself before criticizing my profession.

I did have the privilege of staying in Fairhope , Alabama where QB RL is from. Right on the bay across from Mobile. Philip Rivers is from there.

Amen, I hit a lot of bad golf shots but learned to laugh them off. Beating myself up only compounds the problem. Don’t take yourself too seriously, just a game.
There's a big difference between playing football as a top 10 team on national tv and a weekend game of golf or tennis with friends. I'm sure Chris Zorich laughs when he flubs up playing ping pong but I doubt he ever laughed at a mistake playing football.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
There's a big difference between playing football as a top 10 team on national tv and a weekend game of golf or tennis with friends. I'm sure Chris Zorich laughs when he flubs up playing ping pong but I doubt he ever laughed at a mistake playing football.
That was one bad man. Playing against him was quite the experience. Thankfully I never had to line up directly across from him.

Reactions: Classic Irish
You’re reading too much into it.. guess he could acted like Brian Kelly, that seems to work out well. Usually that reaction is coming from someone who used to lose his temper which then led to more negative results.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT