ADVERTISEMENT

Why is anyone surprised by Kelly?

Irish_inPSU

All Star
Sep 22, 2008
I know what I will say isn't popular but here it goes. Why anyone is shocked that kelly is leaving is beyond me. For starters, he immediately interviewed for an NFL job right after the NC game against Alabama. If that doesn't tell you the guy wants to elevate his career and move to bigger things, I don't know what does.

Kelly would be absolutely nuts not to take the job at LSU. Better recruiting, the SEC, and of course a boat load of money. Despite popular belief on this board and through the ND fanbase, Notre Dame is NOT a destination coaching job for most. Unless you have a personal connection to Notre Dame, its just another place. A place where the university, its fans, etc., stand on a soap box and look down on basically the rest of college football, believing they do everything better. A place that takes a holier than thou position on practically every other university, coach, staff, etc. A place that has dated recruiting restrictions and academic policies that most kids don't qualify for, especially a lot of collegiate athletes, the very same ones that ND competes against.

So coaches coming in are handcuffed and behind the 8 ball from the beginning. Yet this very same place expects to play with and beat the Alabama's, Clemsons and Ohio States when asked to do so. When they don't, its never the University and their handcuffing, its never recruiting deficiencies. Everyone wants the coaches head. He's the fall guy, every single time. So why in the hell would any coach come and take on this career suicide mission? Its a dead end and you can clearly see the ceiling as soon as you walk in the door. Kelly hit that ceiling a few years ago. Its as good as it gets, which is really good btw and most schools would kill to be in ND's spot at this point. But Kelly wants more.. he wants to play for titles and conference championships. I would too if I had his resume.

Plain and simple, he took ND as far as ND will allow it to be taken. No coach in the country, not even a Saben, could consistently play for and or win national championships at ND. Notre Dame football died after the Holtz era in many ways. It died mainly because the university refuses to change with the times and adapt to the college football landscape accordingly. Notre Dame is not immune to the coaching carousel anymore than any other program. They're special in their own eyes, not everyone else's.

I hope i'm wrong... I hope like hell i'm pleasantly surprised.. but I think its time to buckle up and hold on tight... back to mediocrity for the next 5 years at least.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but it's just not going to get much traction here. Just not what people want to hear.

Fair enough. I agree that ND isn’t what it used to be but I just believe it takes the right coach to get the job done. If Saban was the coach, do you think we would have a title by now? I do. Lets hope the administration is willing to make the changes to help facilitate the next step and hope our next hire turns outs right.

I know what I will say isn't popular but here it goes. Why anyone is shocked that kelly is leaving is beyond me. For starters, he immediately interviewed for an NFL job right after the NC game against Alabama. If that doesn't tell you the guy wants to elevate his career and move to bigger things, I don't know what does.

Kelly would be absolutely nuts not to take the job at LSU. Better recruiting, the SEC, and of course a boat load of money. Despite popular belief on this board and through the ND fanbase, Notre Dame is NOT a destination coaching job for most. Unless you have a personal connection to Notre Dame, its just another place. A place where the university, its fans, etc., stand on a soap box and look down on basically the rest of college football, believing they do everything better. A place that takes a holier than thou position on practically every other university, coach, staff, etc. A place that has dated recruiting restrictions and academic policies that most kids don't qualify for, especially a lot of collegiate athletes, the very same ones that ND competes against.

So coaches coming in are handcuffed and behind the 8 ball from the beginning. Yet this very same place expects to play with and beat the Alabama's, Clemsons and Ohio States when asked to do so. When they don't, its never the University and their handcuffing, its never recruiting deficiencies. Everyone wants the coaches head. He's the fall guy, every single time. So why in the hell would any coach come and take on this career suicide mission? Its a dead end and you can clearly see the ceiling as soon as you walk in the door. Kelly hit that ceiling a few years ago. Its as good as it gets, which is really good btw and most schools would kill to be in ND's spot at this point. But Kelly wants more.. he wants to play for titles and conference championships. I would too if I had his resume.

Plain and simple, he took ND as far as ND will allow it to be taken. No coach in the country, not even a Saben, could consistently play for and or win national championships at ND. Notre Dame football died after the Holtz era in many ways. It died mainly because the university refuses to change with the times and adapt to the college football landscape accordingly. Notre Dame is not immune to the coaching carousel anymore than any other program. They're special in their own eyes, not everyone else's.

I hope i'm wrong... I hope like hell i'm pleasantly surprised.. but I think its time to buckle up and hold on tight... back to mediocrity for the next 5 years at least.
The only thing I disagree with you is that I don't think for a minute that the program will slip back into mediocrity. The program is as strong as its been since 1988-93 run. It would have to be an absolute disaster of a hire for that to happen. I trust Jack will get it right.

Nobody ran Kelly off or dissed him into leaving.....He was HC when the wins were vacated...and the torches and pitchforks didn't go after him.....just like when the poor kid died in the tower. Kelly didn't take the blame. His departure was business. Fans are so emotionally invested in the school and the game....the business aspect gets ignored, when in reality.....its the elephant in the room in 2021....business. Every aspect of the college game is now business.....quality of facilities, recruiting, salaries, player perks, including pay today......advertising dollars, TV dollars....branding......all business all day long.

Nobody ran Kelly off or dissed him into leaving.....He was HC when the wins were vacated...and the torches and pitchforks didn't go after him.....just like when the poor kid died in the tower. Kelly didn't take the blame. His departure was business. Fans are so emotionally invested in the school and the game....the business aspect gets ignored, when in reality.....its the elephant in the room in 2021....business. Every aspect of the college game is now business.....quality of facilities, recruiting, salaries, player perks, including pay today......advertising dollars, TV dollars....branding......all business all day long.
Of course it is. It's a billion dollar business. Executives come and go all the time in billion dollar industries. I don't get the " jilted lover" response by some. Is anyone's life here going to change one iota because ND is going to get a new head football coach ? I think it's exciting. No one coach or player is bigger than the program.

Since when is being proud of your lofty standards looking down on others ?

Fair enough. I agree that ND isn’t what it used to be but I just believe it takes the right coach to get the job done. If Saban was the coach, do you think we would have a title by now? I do. Lets hope the administration is willing to make the changes to help facilitate the next step and hope our next hire turns outs right.
If you believe what Swarbrick said....ND is at a very good place right now.....meaning....don't expect changes to enrollment standards, etc....

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
He actually interviewed before the national championship game, which I thought was really classless.

Reactions: The Disciple
Only thing I don't agree with, I suppose, is that we totally could have won a national championship. Easily at any point in the next three seasons, and possibly even this season, with the program and roster as it currently is, we could have qualified for the playoff, and then won a championship.

We're knocking on the door, or at least we were, right now.... And of course that's BK's doing. BK was that rare unicorn who could and was actually doing it. But he finally had enough of this place and he bolted.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT