ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we hate the Shamrock Series?

Absolutely dead crowd. I loved the win, but that game was flat. No excitement at all.
The stadium design with a football field really keeps it from being rowdy.

It was a home game by statement only.

Having said that I think the series is good for the program. The players seemed to be enjoying themselves...it adds some extra exposure to the program. You can debate how effective all day long but make no mistake it adds exposure and that's a great thing.

I'd take one of these games no problem.

ND is undefeated in the series but I think going forward the every two years is a better approach. We don't play a SS game next year, we have 7 home games. I think they're using the Wisconsin games in '20, and 21 as the Ss games.

Reactions: ThomasSowell
I’m not a fan of the series, it is not in the best interest of team and it sucks that the senior class couldn’t attend their last “home” game.

That being said, I had an absolute blast in NYC today and at the stadium. This die hard Red Sox fan doesn’t get to see his Irish or NY very often and today was awesome

Been to most. Love it. Pro stadiums. Travel. Cool uni’s Great recruiting.

In stadium Beer!

Reactions: PHJIndy
ND wouldn't get any expossure if this was the scheduled home game
Been to most. Love it. Pro stadiums. Travel. Cool uni’s Great recruiting.

In stadium Beer!
Has any recruits actually committed because of a shamrock game? The real home game experience with the traditional blue and gold and millions of dollars invested in the stadium upgrades isn't good enough for recruiting? Playing on NBC every home game and every away game nationally televised isn't considered top exposure? Who in this country doesn't know Notre Dame? If this was a home game, NBC TV ratings would be way down and ND would miss out on all the exposure? Not sure how all this works?

When parents get a chance to see their kids without traveling to S. Bend it’s a plus.

Most of these parents work and probably can’t make all home games. I would agree your not going to get a recruit just for it, but if you are a recruit and hear you will be playing in Ireland and Cowboys stadium I doubt it hurts.

I liked the uniforms they wore today. Better then that awful green and gold pants from last week.
There should be a rule that mandates the same helmet with the alt jerseys. The New Yorker who only went to this game deserves to see gold helmets.

In general it's a competitive disadvantage and looks silly

Reactions: SIhoosier26
When parents get a chance to see their kids without traveling to S. Bend it’s a plus.

Most of these parents work and probably can’t make all home games. I would agree your not going to get a recruit just for it, but if you are a recruit and hear you will be playing in Ireland and Cowboys stadium I doubt it hurts.
How many ND recruits live in NYC ? I'm just asking.

i don't hate it but what I do not like is we give up a home game to play in a neutral site that may not be to our advantage

literally undeafted in the series. Get the recruits excited with ugly unis that they love and get to keep all the gear and sell it on eBay if needed. Spreads our coverage into unique stadiums and spreads recruiting opportunities
Seems like everyone involved with it loved the experience. Book called it an experience he and his teammates will never forget. Can't please everyone and shouldn't try.

Football should not be played in a baseball stadium. I had tickets near midfield, up high, and they were still obstructed by the foul line pole. But I like the idea of an occasional neutral site game in a pro football stadium.

One other note: A lot of people talk about Walmart Michigan fans or redneck Alabama fans, but they have nothing on drunk Irish fans. I've been to two off-site ND games and both times was astounded by how many drunken slobs I saw staggering around the stadium.

There should be a rule that mandates the same helmet with the alt jerseys. The New Yorker who only went to this game deserves to see gold helmets.

In general it's a competitive disadvantage and looks silly
I too would have preferred the gold helmets. You shouldn't mess with certain things!

Football should not be played in a baseball stadium. I had tickets near midfield, up high, and they were still obstructed by the foul line pole. But I like the idea of an occasional neutral site game in a pro football stadium.

One other note: A lot of people talk about Walmart Michigan fans or redneck Alabama fans, but they have nothing on drunk Irish fans. I've been to two off-site ND games and both times was astounded by how many drunken slobs I saw staggering around the stadium.
Those were Michigan fans that thought their team had a road game:D.

i don't hate it but what I do not like is we give up a home game to play in a neutral site that may not be to our advantage

IMO the opportunity for the kids to play a game in an historic venue and/or an NFL stadium is something we shouldn't discount as an attraction for the kids we are recruiting. Think about some of the venues where we've played the Shamrock series games: Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Soldier Field, Lucas Stadium, AT&T Field. For kids that might have aspirations to play in the NFL someday, don't you think they got a thrill out of playing at AT&T Field and looking up to see the biggest jumbotron in the world? While we ND fans may not be thrilled about the whole deal, I think you are vastly underestimating how much the players probably enjoy it. When they interviewed Ian Book after the Syracuse game, one of the first things he said was that he will never forget having had the chance to play in Yankee Stadium. That tells me all I need to know about how the players feel about these games.

IMO the opportunity for the kids to play a game in an historic venue and/or an NFL stadium is something we shouldn't discount as an attraction for the kids we are recruiting. Think about some of the venues where we've played the Shamrock series games: Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Soldier Field, Lucas Stadium, AT&T Field. For kids that might have aspirations to play in the NFL someday, don't you think they got a thrill out of playing at AT&T Field and looking up to see the biggest jumbotron in the world? While we ND fans may not be thrilled about the whole deal, I think you are vastly underestimating how much the players probably enjoy it. When they interviewed Ian Book after the Syracuse game, one of the first things he said was that he will never forget having had the chance to play in Yankee Stadium. That tells me all I need to know about how the players feel about these games.

All valid points including what I believe is the downside

All nice sentiments and valid points, but, Jack is going to do what he wants , when he wants. He hears the "noise" but he isn't listening. All you can hope for is Jack doesn't schedule a Shamrock game in Oakland Alameda Coliseum against SDST, with a tribute to Charlie Finley, and design the ND uniforms after the 1970s Oakland As.

All nice sentiments and valid points, but, Jack is going to do what he wants , when he wants. He hears the "noise" but he isn't listening. All you can hope for is Jack doesn't schedule a Shamrock game in Oakland Alameda Coliseum against SDST, with a tribute to Charlie Finley, and design the ND uniforms after the 1970s Oakland As.
2026, get ready

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT