ADVERTISEMENT

Who Wins the Major Position Battles and Why?

Don Criqui

Posts Like A Champion
Dec 23, 2013
The Radio
I got the idea from the BGI 2015 Preview Issue (pg. 24). If you haven't checked it out yet, it's well worth the $$. It's packed with info and articles... very well done, per usual.

I'll just do the top 5 (according to the magazine) but feel free to include any other position battles you wish. State your opinion and your reasoning.

Mike Linebacker
Nyles Morgan over Jarrett Grace and Joe Schmidt

Hopefully Grace and Schmidt still get meaningful reps and both veterans players play well. 2 very high character guys who should be great leaders for the younger guys to look up to on Defense. Morgan just has too much talent and athletic ability to keep off the field... especially if he has a stronger grasp on his position in 2015. Nyles could be special.

Left Guard
Quenton Nelson over Alex Bars

Again, I think Bars definitely plays some meaningful snaps and is an asset to the OL. Both guys are extremely talented and this is a great battle to have. I just love the attitude Nelson plays with. It's rare that we get through a season without some OL injury so both guys will get their chance, I'm sure.

Weakside End
Andrew Trumbetti sees the most action

Hill, Okwara and Trumbetti will all rotate and see plenty of snaps. Hopefully they're able to be productive and disruptive. I liked what I saw out of young Trumbetti last season. Another year to mature, learn the defense and pack on muscle can't hurt. I see Trumbetti getting the most snaps/being the most productive followed closely by Okwara. Anything more than depth out of Hill would be a bonus IMO.

Sam Linebacker
Toss up/Equal split

I think James Onwualu and Greer Martini will both see the field in different situations. Jaylon Smith also sees some action at Sam this year. I'm not sure either Martini or Onwualu really "win" the job and they both miss out on quite a few reps as Kelly/BVG try and get the 3 best LBers on the field at times. That may mean Jaylon/Morgan/Schmidt IMO.

No. 2 Quarterback
DeShone Kizer over Brandon Wimbush

God help us if either player sees significant time in 2015... but I think Kizer's knowledge of the playbook holds off the true Freshman... for now. I love what Wimbush brings to the table and if he is able to get an acceptable handle on BK's offense quickly (which is apparently nearly impossible to do) he could overtake Kizer sooner rather than later. Kizer gets a bad rap on this board, but he seems like a solid, intelligent kid. Hopefully he is able to get some game experience in the 4th quarter of some big September wins.

Let's hear your thoughts. Staff, feel free to participate.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News