ADVERTISEMENT

Who is your Uncle Louie?

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
I just watched a one hour interview Joe Buck did of the legendary Lou Holtz. It’s called “Fighting Irish Legend: Lou Holtz’ path to Notre Dame - undeniable”

It can be found on you tube.

It’s a fascinating interview filled with some Louism’s I’ve never heard. One is the impact his Uncle Lou had on him. Uncle Lou was the most influential figure in Lou’s life. I think we all have had an uncle Lou - someone other than your father - who made an impact on your life.

I’ll tell you a brief story. I like to share it especially during the holidays. In the early 1930’s most families were poor and reeling from the depression. My father was very young, maybe ten. He was a shy Italian boy whose parents came over thru Ellis island. He had an Uncle Louie who had some money and would occasionally visit

When Uncle Louie got up to leave he would take a dollar out of his pocket - a huge sum in those days - and say “Frengie (sic), taka dis dollar “

And the first time this happened, my Dad shuffled his feet and said “gee Uncle Louie” and he shied away from taking it right away. Uncle Louie pulled the dollar away put it in his pocket and said “Frengie, when somebody wants to give you something or do something nice for you, you say “thank you very much “ and you accept it.

It’s a lesson that I’ve instilled in my children and they are well versed and always say silently to themselves whenever someone complements them or gives them something - “uncle Louie”

Happy new year

Reactions: irishalice
I just watched a one hour interview Joe Buck did of the legendary Lou Holtz. It’s called “Fighting Irish Legend: Lou Holtz’ path to Notre Dame - undeniable”

It can be found on you tube.

It’s a fascinating interview filled with some Louism’s I’ve never heard. One is the impact his Uncle Lou had on him. Uncle Lou was the most influential figure in Lou’s life. I think we all have had an uncle Lou - someone other than your father - who made an impact on your life.

I’ll tell you a brief story. I like to share it especially during the holidays. In the early 1930’s most families were poor and reeling from the depression. My father was very young, maybe ten. He was a shy Italian boy whose parents came over thru Ellis island. He had an Uncle Louie who had some money and would occasionally visit

When Uncle Louie got up to leave he would take a dollar out of his pocket - a huge sum in those days - and say “Frengie (sic), taka dis dollar “

And the first time this happened, my Dad shuffled his feet and said “gee Uncle Louie” and he shied away from taking it right away. Uncle Louie pulled the dollar away put it in his pocket and said “Frengie, when somebody wants to give you something or do something nice for you, you say “thank you very much “ and you accept it.

It’s a lesson that I’ve instilled in my children and they are well versed and always say silently to themselves whenever someone complements them or gives them something - “uncle Louie”

Happy new year
Great post......thank you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT