ADVERTISEMENT

What do you expect from the defense this year?

IowaIrish1

Posts Like A Champion
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2015
I think we have a pretty good idea the offense will be good to great.

Looking at the defense scares me, but also shows a glimpse of hope. Some really really good athletes that have been lacking in the back end. Max really needs to become an NFL like player to make this defense work. So happy to have Drue back. I think he was set for a huge year last season. Still don't know if Myles has it figured out, but he doesn't really have a choice, though he will be a giant upgrade in speed and power. Defensive line looks thin. Tillery has a shot to be a high NFL pick, I just wonder if he really wants that. Jones is a monster and hope he stays healthy. Not much to really expect from a pass rush, hope they prove me wrong here. Maybe Daelin Hayes is ready to go being an early enrollee.

Looking at the defense scares me, but also shows a glimpse of hope. Some really really good athletes that have been lacking in the back end. Max really needs to become an NFL like player to make this defense work. So happy to have Drue back. I think he was set for a huge year last season. Still don't know if Myles has it figured out, but he doesn't really have a choice, though he will be a giant upgrade in speed and power. Defensive line looks thin. Tillery has a shot to be a high NFL pick, I just wonder if he really wants that. Jones is a monster and hope he stays healthy. Not much to really expect from a pass rush, hope they prove me wrong here. Maybe Daelin Hayes is ready to go being an early enrollee.
To be honest I'm not going to play this defense up in my head this year only to be disappointed once again. I thought last years defense had a chance to be very good and we all saw how that played out. I know they had injuries but watching them try to stop Stanford was painful.

My thought's on this years Defense is as follows.
Interior D-Line- should be solid with Jones, Tillery and Cage. Lets just hope there are no injuries there.
D-Ends- will play fine against the run but I see another year of a sub-par pass rush. I think it's unfair for us fans to look to an incoming freshman to supply the team with it's best option to get to the QB. Will any of the upperclassmen step up? I don't see it.
Linebackers- You don't lose a player like Smith and get better as a unit. Although Schmidt was awful in my opinion last year and feel that Morgan will be an upgrade I still see this unit struggling and at times looking lost when helping out in pass coverage.
Defensive Secondary- With the likes of Tranquil, Redfield, and Luke back there you would think a fan would have confidence going into the season. That's not the case however. This secondary has looked lost at times over the last couple years with some of the same players back there. We all know Redfield has been a disappointment with his play, and Tranquil is coming off an injury and really hasn't proven anything over the course of an entire season. I was pleased with Lukes play last year and hope he can ramp it up another notch and be a true shut down corner this year. Im hoping Crawford wins the starting position opposite of Luke and becomes the next star corner for ND but that of course needs to be proven on the field. I do like the depth that is being built in the defensive backfield so hopefully they can find some real on field game action talent.
Go Irish!!!

Zero

will stop no one on third down this year

Hello Zero! I expect more from the Defense this year as the quality of the scheduled opposing Quarterbacks has declined to a large degree, third down conversion rate will improve barring a spate of injuries like last year.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I would love to see this D create turnovers and get off the field on 3rd downs. Not holding my breath on either happening.

Bodi, I sure as hell hope you prove prophetic. I wrote previously that I expect the defense to surprise to the upside. We have speed and athleticism at every position behind the front four, and we have the potential to be really good against the run with our starting front four. Pressure on the QB is a major concern. Just don't see us able to get this done by our front, and it will be interesting to see BVG utilizing a variety of blitz packages. I think we have the talent to blitz without getting burned too often, and I think we have the potential for more than our share of cover sacks. That said, I think too many will need to overachieve for this to be a top ten defense. Hope you are right.

Reactions: Bodizephax
ND has been playing with 10 on defense with MR in the game. That may sound harsh but it is the truth. Maybe he wakes up in his senior year and plays with reckless abandon or gets benched for Studstill. Overall, I see ND's back-end stepping up this year and we see more sacks taking place.

Well year 3 is always the tradional point a coach truly "owns it". So...it better improve or year 4 probably won't happen for BVG.

The defense was better last year. Barring injuries of 3 starters in the secondary ND beats Stanford by 2 scores and makes the Final Four. This is a whole new year with a whole new set of challenges.

Looking forward to seeing the Back Four cover up people. And the Down Four rush the passer. If those areas are good ND will be good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT