ADVERTISEMENT

Walt Patulski

fedman

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2002
Walt Patulski's name came up this week because of the great game Jarron Jones had. Patulski we were informed holds the record for tackles for a loss in a game with 8 against LSU. I vividly recall Patulski on the 1969 - 1970- 1971 teams. I can recall opposing coaches saying after they played ND, that they simply could not block Patulski. He was an All American in 1971 and won the Lombardi award that year. He was also the first player taken in the NFL draft.

Was truly a dominate defensive end while at Notre Dame. He was 6'5'' and weighed 260 lbs with 4.9 speed in the 40. He kind of gets overlooked whenever the discussion turns to who was the greatest defensive linemen in Notre Dame history. I think a lot of this is because he did not have a great NFL career that was cut short because of a career ending knee injury.

While not the greatest defensive lineman in Notre Dame football history - Ross Browner holds that distinction in my opinion - Patulski was still a great one and should always be in the discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News