ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer took over at ND tmw NDs recruiting would immediately skyrocket correct?

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
For all those who think it's impossible to get elite talent in south bend anymore -- what do you think the recruiting results would be if Meyer took over the program tomorrow? I'm guessing at least top 5 classes.

If Urban Meyer can do it, anybody can. ND just needs to start playing the coaching carousel and get someone in here who can lead AND recruit.

For all those who think it's impossible to get elite talent in south bend anymore -- what do you think the recruiting results would be if Meyer took over the program tomorrow? I'm guessing at least top 5 classes.

If Urban Meyer can do it, anybody can. ND just needs to start playing the coaching carousel and get someone in here who can lead AND recruit.
This 100% correct

There could be some truth to that

Reactions: 88ND

With his baggage the administration would never hire him.

He still couldn't recruit as well as he did at OSU. We still couldn't recruit like Alabama, Clemson, or Georgia. And while he might be able to sign them, could he keep them here 3 years while dealing with actually having to be a student athlete? Guys like Redfield, Vanderdoes, Greg Bryant, Gunner Kiel, etc.

Those are all hypotheticals. Also, Meyer refused to take the job the first time because ND would not give him some acceptations when it came to recruiting. He knew he could not win a NC here so he went to schools where he could.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I guarantee we would have scored more than 3 points yesterday with the exact same roster. Although, I honestly believe Wimbush would be his QB instead of Book. Urban likes mobile QB's like that, and he would be better coached to be a much better passer as well.

He still couldn't recruit as well as he did at OSU. We still couldn't recruit like Alabama, Clemson, or Georgia. And while he might be able to sign them, could he keep them here 3 years while dealing with actually having to be a student athlete? Guys like Redfield, Vanderdoes, Greg Bryant, Gunner Kiel, etc.

Utah wasn't exactly a hot bed for top recruits, but look what he did there. Talent counts obviously, but coaching is far more important.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy

Yes. but he could choose USC. Why would he pick ND?

Reactions: Twins1967
Hello!!!! Are some people forgetting the 2016 Ohio st team coached by god himself , Urban Meyer, got smoked by Clemson 31-0? Maybe Dabo and his staff are really good coaches and great recruiters. ND played a great team and lost. Oh well. stuff happens.

Hello!!!! Are some people forgetting the 2016 Ohio st team coached by god himself , Urban Meyer, got smoked by Clemson 31-0? Maybe Dabo and his staff are really good coaches and great recruiters. ND played a great team and lost. Oh well. stuff happens.

You get a pass for a clunker when you win 90% of your games and have multiple national titles on your resume

Reactions: kev2225
According to Meyer he was never offered the ND job so where's this talk like he did coming from? ND went into the interview with a contract in their pocket but something turned ND off to him. No idea what it was but something happen in the interview process that ND didn't like. Meyer said later that he looks at the current roster of a team before accepting or rejecting a schools offer. ND has a very attractive roster right now but the restrictions are a challenge for any coach. I have no idea who would even accept the job under these restrictions, but we have a coach. GO IRISH and finish the mission.

hello? guess who won aNC at tOSU?

Urban Meyer? The man who has coached more criminals per season than any coach in CFB history? The man who had constant smoke of illegal benefits around his programs at both UF and OSU?

Notre Dame football lowering itself to the worst of both the SEC and Big Ten?

The Gipper does not like that.

If someone is more successful than Notre Dame why are those here who always fall back on the tiring "Baggage" theme? Urban sure wouldn't be getting excited that he had talked a 3-star into coming. He would be too busy recruiting 5-star guys.

Urban Meyer? The man who has coached more criminals per season than any coach in CFB history? The man who had constant smoke of illegal benefits around his programs at both UF and OSU?

Notre Dame football lowering itself to the worst of both the SEC and Big Ten?

The Gipper does not like that.
You'd be the first one to overlook it if we win a ND under him. You're a liar if you say otherwise

You'd be the first one to overlook it if we win a ND under him. You're a liar if you say otherwise
I have a long history of not trusting, and disliking, Urban. I know he wins big. But he is the model for the coach who refuses to see the cesspool around him because to see it means he must clean up, and that will cost him wins. And he intends to win.

I would much rather see Jim Harbaugh go to ND and win it all than even think about Urban at ND.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
If someone is more successful than Notre Dame why are those here who always fall back on the tiring "Baggage" theme? Urban sure wouldn't be getting excited that he had talked a 3-star into coming. He would be too busy recruiting 5-star guys.
It's a fact you cannot simply ignore. Sorry if you find that tiring. Should ND take a recruit that has been arrested five or six times just because he's a 5-star? Isn't that baggage?

You want ND to throw away morals? Ethics? It's never going to happen, whether Chase wants it to or not.

I have a long history of not trusting, and disliking, Urban. I know he wins big. But he is the model for the coach who refuses to see the cesspool around him because to see it means he must clean up, and that will cost him wins. And he intends to win.

I would much rather see Jim Harbaugh go to ND and win it all than even think about Urban at ND.

Jim Harbaugh???

giphy.gif

Not ever going to happen but NO, NO, NO...:D

It's a fact you cannot simply ignore. Sorry if you find that tiring. Should ND take a recruit that has been arrested five or six times just because he's a 5-star? Isn't that baggage?

You want ND to throw away morals? Ethics? It's never going to happen, whether Chase wants it to or not.
Really really terrible stereotype that the elite 5 stars and high 4 stars have arrest record and are thugs. The vast majority of them could get into ND no problem. Dex, coney, Quenton Nelson, Greg Bryant not exactly all Einstein’s, they’re football players. I don’t think it’s getting into school that’s the issue, could be wrong I know nothing about admissions.

Really really terrible stereotype that the elite 5 stars and high 4 stars have arrest record and are thugs. The vast majority of them could get into ND no problem. Dex, coney, Quenton Nelson, Greg Bryant not exactly all Einstein’s, they’re football players. I don’t think it’s getting into school that’s the issue, could be wrong I know nothing about admissions.
That's not what I said.

I said that, if you had a 5-star with an arrest record, why would you take that guy in?

That's not what I said.

I said that, if you had a 5-star with an arrest record, why would you take that guy in?
Oh yeah for sure. I get what you’re saying, comparing it to the urban situation. You’re right.

Not saying you but my gripe with people is when they say “oh we can’t get 5 stars they’re not Notre Dame fits” and I thought you were saying that, my bad.

But yeah you are right about that and it applies in the urban situation, you just cannot hire him, and they won’t.

Urban did win a NC at Ohio st. According to the experts Ohio st has also recruited top 5 classes since Urban has been there. ND has recruited top 12 classes . So ND losing 30-3 is bad. Losing 31-0 when you have NC caliber players is worse.

Jim Harbaugh is no better than Brian Kelly. Might be even worse.

Reactions: HarlemIrish

Another brilliant post by Chase Ocasio Cortiz. :eek:

If comparing only to Harbraugh's career at Michigan thus far then yeah. But man he did an amazing job with Stanford. Do y'all remember how bad they were before Harbraugh took over?
Kelly>Harbaugh

The college game has passed him by, and his outdated offensive system isn't going to win him a big game anytime soon. If we fire Kelly I want someone who can take us to the next level. Harbaugh is not that guy.

Reactions: d1042
Wait a second, didn’t Notre Dame just go 12-0 ?

How many other teams went undefeated in the regular season this year ?

News Flash: After next week Alabama or Clemson will have a one loss record like ND !

This criticism of Kelly, Long, WR’s and to extent Book is really in gracious and unjustified.
Staff 2018: great job!
Players: won 12 reg season games: great job!
Forum fans: C-

Reactions: Pennick4
With his baggage the administration would never hire him.
Oh Jesus Christ....stop taking every post to the letter of the text.

It's a figure of speech. In other words there are people that could in fact raise the recruiting outcome here.

I'll add that there are coaches who could have us playing more respectable in those games.

You don't want to change unless you're guaranteed something.

Hville,
The only guarantee you have is by not changing.

Besides....
What are you holding on to with Brian Kelly?

It's a roller coaster ride with him. Good seasons, bad seasons. Up and down. In the big moment with weeks to prepare embarrassment.

Oh Jesus Christ....stop taking every post to the letter of the text.

It's a figure of speech. In other words there are people that could in fact raise the recruiting outcome here.

I'll add that there are coaches who could have us playing more respectable in those games.

You don't want to change unless you're guaranteed something.

Hville,
The only guarantee you have is by not changing.

Besides....
What are you holding on to with Brian Kelly?

It's a roller coaster ride with him. Good seasons, bad seasons. Up and down. In the big moment with weeks to prepare embarrassment.
Sorry if I made you mad. That wasn’t my intent.

I know what we have in BK. He’s a very good coach but not elite. But with that said, how many are elite? Two or three? I would put BK in the next group of ten or so.

As I’ve said all along, he’s here to stay for at least another couple seasons unless he leaves of his own accord. So speculating about a replacement is a waste of time.

Sorry if I made you mad. That wasn’t my intent.

I know what we have in BK. He’s a very good coach but not elite. But with that said, how many are elite? Two or three? I would put BK in the next group of ten or so.

As I’ve said all along, he’s here to stay for at least another couple seasons unless he leaves of his own accord. So speculating about a replacement is a waste of time.
Not mad whatsoever......
Just don't understand why you are so adamant only to change but with a guarantee.

Saban could come here and it's Michigan State part II. Nobody knows those answers.

The only guarantee answer is doing nothing we see what's in store.

Christmas comes early.

Sometimes....

I think every fan is happy with an undefeated season. Who wouldn’t be? But if the goal every year is a national championship , then you must look at a season like this as “fools gold” . ND is a very good team. They have very good players on both sides of the ball. The question was, are they good enough to win a championship? The answer is a resounding no ! They are in my opinion a top ten team. They simply do not have the players that Alabama, Clemson , Ohio State or Georgia have at the moment. Unless they get some elite players each year, they will not be able to compete with the schools that do. Great players make coaches great. Nick Saban was just another run of the mill coach st Michigzn State. At Alabama , he’s god. Why? Because at Alabama he can get players he would never get at Michigan State. Notre Dame will not change who they are. So in today’s world of college football , they are just another team.

Reactions: chaseball
I guarantee we would have scored more than 3 points yesterday with the exact same roster. Although, I honestly believe Wimbush would be his QB instead of Book. Urban likes mobile QB's like that, and he would be better coached to be a much better passer as well.
Are you kidding! Book is a mobile qb.

I think every fan is happy with an undefeated season. Who wouldn’t be? But if the goal every year is a national championship , then you must look at a season like this as “fools gold” . ND is a very good team. They have very good players on both sides of the ball. The question was, are they good enough to win a championship? The answer is a resounding no ! They are in my opinion a top ten team. They simply do not have the players that Alabama, Clemson , Ohio State or Georgia have at the moment. Unless they get some elite players each year, they will not be able to compete with the schools that do. Great players make coaches great. Nick Saban was just another run of the mill coach st Michigzn State. At Alabama , he’s god. Why? Because at Alabama he can get players he would never get at Michigan State. Notre Dame will not change who they are. So in today’s world of college football , they are just another team.
IFor me its hard to say after a game like that they dont have the players
This is practically the same that almost beat Clemson with a Heisman runner up QB
In 2015 missing out on a 2pt conversions in fact I believe the pervious 2 meetings were close. I dont believe recruiting is as big an obstacle that posters are making it out to be

What this team seemed to do was lose heart and giving up.

IFor me its hard to say after a game like that they dont have the players
This is practically the same that almost beat Clemson with a Heisman runner up QB
In 2015 missing out on a 2pt conversions in fact I believe the pervious 2 meetings were close. I dont believe recruiting is as big an obstacle that posters are making it out to be

What this team seemed to do was lose heart and giving up.

Clemson wasn't recruiting the type of players they do now leading up to their 2015 season. Their program is light years ahead compared to where they were back in 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT