UCLA - Will the Board of Regents

Patrirish

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2018
Seek to void UCLA going to the Big 10 ?

USC is a private institution.

But, UCLA is a State school.

Concerns about the future of the PAC 12 may cause the Board of Regents and/or the State of California to attempt to prevent UCLA from joining the Big 10.

And keep a taxpayer institution from getting an extra $40 million a year? You must not know much about California politics. Suck up as much money as you can from taxpayers (COVID money going to prison inmates), ESPN, makes no difference. Just bring it.

Potentially. That’s a dysfunctional state from top to bottom so I can see progress being shut down.

They’ve cancelled desalination plants and reopening a nuclear plant because who needs clean water and electric anyways amiright?

Ultimately depends on whatever move benefits the cronies in charge.

And keep a taxpayer institution from getting an extra $40 million a year? You must not know much about California politics. Suck up as much money as you can from taxpayers (COVID money going to prison inmates), ESPN, makes no difference. Just bring it.
It may be a legal challenge where money has no influence or standing.

Money has no influence in California? Where have you been the last 70 years? Don't mean to get nasty on an Irish board but you folks don't know what we have to put with here. UCLA gone to the Big 10. Not that it will affect your program much. Hope the Irish can still keep kicking USC ass.

Money has no influence in California? Where have you been the last 70 years? Don't mean to get nasty on an Irish board but you folks don't know what we have to put with here. UCLA gone to the Big 10. Not that it will affect your program much. Hope the Irish can still keep kicking USC ass.
If it’s a legal issue involving California State law, the law will prevail and money will have no influence.

And having just returned from a week in California, spending every day with California residents, I know what you’re going through.

Legislating a mandate to only purchase new electric cars after 2035 and then declaring that due to brown outs that the owners of electric cars shouldn’t charge their electric cars for 5 days is patent insanity.

The CEO of a manufacturer of Lithium batteries openly stated that they couldn’t meet the 2035 demand.

Allowing people to steal up to $ 900 without serious repercussions is just another facet of the insanity that is California.

I feel your pain

Last edited:
Reactions: NDblitz
If it’s a legal issue involving California State law, the law will prevail and money will have no influence.

And having just returned from a week in California, spending every day with California residents, I know what you’re going through.

Legislating a mandate to only purchase new electric cars after 2035 and then declaring that due to brown outs that the owners of electric cars shouldn’t charge their electric cars for 5 days is patent insanity.

The CEO of a manufacturer of Lithium batteries openly stated that they couldn’t meet the 2035 demand.

Allowing people to steal up to $ 900 without serious repercussions is just another facet of the insanity that is California.

I feel your pain
You better hope China starts selling Nuclear reactors.

Reactions: BGI User 756
is just another facet of the insanity that is California.

I feel your pain
I've lived there a few years ago and to say that California and INSANITY go together is a vast understatement. Was extremely happy to leave that shithole

You gals should educate California on all their deficiencies. I'm positive the west coast gives more than a half shit what Midwest hayseeds think of them.

You gals should educate California on all their deficiencies. I'm positive the west coast gives more than a half shit what Midwest hayseeds think of them.
They will when their tax revenue dries up from Californians leaving the state.

It’s an indefensible shit hole. The most beautiful state in the country run into the ground.

Kinda got off track here. What’s the legal arguement

How about what a CA, who currently lives there thinks of CA? TOTAL SHITHOLE!

Kinda got off track here. What’s the legal arguement
California law, existing or contemplated, may prohibit a California “State” school from joining other than approved conferences

10 UC SCHOOLS and 23 CSU schools.in California

Only culling UCLA from the herd may be an issue.

Then what’s the benefit of UCLA joining the Big 10 ?
I personally think the only real clout the Regents have over UCLA is via the annual budget process. I doubt they’ll force a transparent sharing of UCLA’s Big Ten revenue, but I’ll be very surprised if they don’t adjust their budget to redirect resources. Nothing close to a dollar for dollar proposition, but rather a steady treatment of UCLA as A rich institution deserving of California’s concept of progressive tax policy.

I personally think the only real clout the Regents have over UCLA is via the annual budget process. I doubt they’ll force a transparent sharing of UCLA’s Big Ten revenue, but I’ll be very surprised if they don’t adjust their budget to redirect resources. Nothing close to a dollar for dollar proposition, but rather a steady treatment of UCLA as A rich institution deserving of California’s concept of progressive tax policy.
There are 10 schools in the University of California system.

I can’t see them letting one of them defect to the big 10, but who knows ?

LMAO.

so. California born and bred. Loved every second.

Kinda got off track here. What’s the legal argument
California has an act preventing the state government for spending money in or for certain state with which it disagrees with politically. Ohio and Indiana are both on that list, as well as, I guess, several others.

LMAO.

so. California born and bred. Loved every second.
People forget that California is the size of Great Britain or Sweden. So saying what it is like to live, "in California" is a bit silly. I live in Newport Beach and it is quite nice here, If I lived in East LA it would be different. Think of the ND campus verses much of South Bend.

People forget that California is the size of Great Britain or Sweden. So saying what it is like to live, "in California" is a bit silly. I live in Newport Beach and it is quite nice here, If I lived in East LA it would be different. Think of the ND campus verses much of South Bend.
Just got home (Henderson,NV) from spending the summer at our condo in Carlsbad, and my neighbor asked how often we had to step around needles and feces, and avoid huge homeless encampments. Answer: not once. I do think the major cities are a mess, and we were happy to leave the one Party State and the crazy left politics, but the state still has numerous enclaves of great places to live and visit. Newport and Carlsbad are among these.

• Haha
I think that nine (9) schools are listed in the NCAA Division I category, not counting USC and Stanford
There are only three that even have football teams: UCLA and UC Berkeley and UC Davis!

There are only three that even have football teams: UCLA and UC Berkeley and UC Davis!

They list nine (9) teams.

Are you sure that San Diego State University doesn’t field a football team ?

How about Fresno State University, do they field a football team ?

How about San Jose State University, do they field a football team ?

How about Sacramento State, do they field a football team ?

That's classic

That money would never benefit the taxpayers.
All the teams you mentioned are NOT part of the UC System. California has two university systems, the Cal State university system with its own governing board, and the UC System with it’s totally separate board of regents.

California law, existing or contemplated, may prohibit a California “State” school from joining other than approved conferences

10 UC SCHOOLS and 23 CSU schools.in California

Only culling UCLA from the herd may be an issue.
THey could stop it if they wanted to. A state university is state property.

All the teams you mentioned are NOT part of the UC System. California has two university systems, the Cal State university system with its own governing board, and the UC System with it’s totally separate board of regents.
Both are controlled by the Governor !

They list nine (9) teams.

Are you sure that San Diego State University doesn’t field a football team ?
San Diego State isn't part of the UC system. There are a total of two UC schools in the Pac. UCLA and Cal. I am not sure why this should matter to other schools who are in different leagues or at different NCAA levels, or do not have a football team.

San Diego State does have a football team which is in the Mountain West Conference. How are they impacted by a move for a UC school to another conference. The UC system is governed by the a board of regents, but they are appointed by the Governor.

Last edited:
San Diego State isn't part of the UC system. There are a total of two UC schools in the Pac. UCLA and Cal. I am not sure why this should matter to other schools who are in different leagues or at different NCAA levels, or do not have a football team.

San Diego State does have a football team which is in the Mountain West Conference. How are they impacted by a move for a UC school to another conference. The UC system is governed by the a board of regents, but they are appointed by the Governor.
The teams I named are ALL Division I football Schools

It’s akin to, “the camel’s nose in the tent” !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT