ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Buchner xfer to Bama to most likely be 3rd string.

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
I just don't see how he beats out Milroe and Simpson and I hate it for the kid. He could've stayed and got on the field in some short yardage situations. If he stayed healthy he would be starting next season.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
I did see that Brad Crawford, 247 analyst, said Buchner is indeed 3rd string. I feel for him, certainly seems like a good kid. I hope he wasn’t sold snake oil to go down there.

Not only is he not going to start, but he’s missing out on a premier degree.

One thing I can say about Saban is he will not be afraid to change it up at QB if he does not like the results on the field.

If he wants to play next year somewhere, he'll probably have to graduate from Alabama first. Because he's already used up his free undergrad transfer.

Reactions: edub72
Wish him the best. Seems like he made a bad choice though for sure
Attending Alabama to play football isn't a bad choice, and you never know how the next 3 seasons will play out. TB's currently a backup in South Bend as well.

Reactions: NDinNJ
He made his bed. Anyone with football acumen could see this coming. He is more of a fit for a low tier FBS school like San Diego State.
I wouldn't consider SDSU a low tier FBS team. New Mexico State? sure. UCONN - yes. But SDSU? no...

I did see that Brad Crawford, 247 analyst, said Buchner is indeed 3rd string. I feel for him, certainly seems like a good kid. I hope he wasn’t sold snake oil to go down there.

Looks like Lonergan will leapfrog him too. if that’s the case he may not have been freeman’s back up

It wasn’t too long ago that many felt TB was outperforming Hartman—then the spring game. Which qb played against the 1 defense? Was it TB or SH or do they split time vs 1’s and 2’s? I don’t remember what the format was

TB has had a Dayne Cryst type career. Was unlucky with Covid Year where he lost a year of football his sr year in high school, played alittle his frosh yr then hurt 2 week his soph. yr. Bama was always way to high a program to compete at especially if you werent the guarenteed starter at ND. His best bet would have been a 2nd tier P5 school like Wake, Ttech, Cal.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Our QB room was so bad when Kelly left we were stuck with starting a backup in TB. Kelly left a messy situation for Freeman. Freeman deserves a lot of credit for getting the QB room cleaned up the way he did. Realistically if we had a decent QB last season we would have been a playoff team no doubt.

Can’t be. Must provide links. Link please ? Blah blah blah. Your reading just opinion pieces.
All kidding aside. Lol.

I been reading the same thing crossover 3. Buchners running 3 rd string. I feel bad for the kid. He’s a good person and I wish he stayed at ND.
But if his ambition is to get into coaching Sabans the best on the business. Jmo.

Reactions: Holycrossover3
TB has had a Dayne Cryst type career. Was unlucky with Covid Year where he lost a year of football his sr year in high school, played alittle his frosh yr then hurt 2 week his soph. yr. Bama was always way to high a program to compete at especially if you werent the guarenteed starter at ND. His best bet would have been a 2nd tier P5 school like Wake, Ttech, Cal.
I agree here. If he didn't lose his Covid year and get hurt his Freshman and Soph year he would've made more progress. The weird thing is if you watch his HS film is pretty damn accurate. I don't know what happened to him once he got to ND, but his accuracy took a dip.

I agree here. If he didn't lose his Covid year and get hurt his Freshman and Soph year he would've made more progress. The weird thing is if you watch his HS film is pretty damn accurate. I don't know what happened to him once he got to ND, but his accuracy took a dip.
Accuracy in high school doesn’t always translate to accuracy in college. My guess he was never able to fully adapt to the speed of the game at the college level. It’s the same thing that happened to Wimbush.

Our QB room was so bad when Kelly left we were stuck with starting a backup in TB. Kelly left a messy situation for Freeman. Freeman deserves a lot of credit for getting the QB room cleaned up the way he did. Realistically if we had a decent QB last season we would have been a playoff team no doubt.
There's quite a doubt in my mind.

Buchner never seemed to effectively
see the field. Accuracy was an issue but field vision and decision making were his main deficiencies. He had some nice runs and a couple of really nice passes, but I don't remember an impressive drive. It was clear Hartman was the guy, and if Buchner was going to Alabama maybe UAB would have been a place to build a foundation. I will never understand what Tommy and Grampa Nick were thinking. But, for the first time in a long time, I question if Alabama is still the gold standard.
BTW OT but the 10 minute YouTube video on Bama v A&M (Manziels freshman year) is amazing. Kirby smart is a coordinator, and future NFL all pro rosters are studded with players from that game. And the best player on the field just pissed it all away.

I still think the potential is there, accuracy wise. Its seems decision making is more of the problem. Pick sixes against Virginia Tech and Marshall were more poor decisions rather than poorly thrown balls. Not sure if the WR did something wrong too.

He had a deep ball to Lenzy before half against Marshall that seemed like a perfect pass that should have set up 3 or 7 points. A slight tug from the Marshall defender that went unnoticed by the official, which meant a barely-missed incompletion.

I wish he had stayed.

Can’t be. Must provide links. Link please ? Blah blah blah. Your reading just opinion pieces.
All kidding aside. Lol.

I been reading the same thing crossover 3. Buchners running 3 rd string. I feel bad for the kid. He’s a good person and I wish he stayed at ND.
But if his ambition is to get into coaching Sabans the best on the business. Jmo.
If coaching is the goal, Saban & Rees is certainly the move. Wherever he ends up, I’m rooting for him.

Buchner never seemed to effectively
see the field. Accuracy was an issue but field vision and decision making were his main deficiencies. He had some nice runs and a couple of really nice passes, but I don't remember an impressive drive. It was clear Hartman was the guy, and if Buchner was going to Alabama maybe UAB would have been a place to build a foundation. I will never understand what Tommy and Grampa Nick were thinking. But, for the first time in a long time, I question if Alabama is still the gold standard.
BTW OT but the 10 minute YouTube video on Bama v A&M (Manziels freshman year) is amazing. Kirby smart is a coordinator, and future NFL all pro rosters are studded with players from that game. And the best player on the field just pissed it all away.
Ignorant post.

When styles left, most knew buchner was gone as they were very close. I feel for the kid because he obviously trusted Rees and who knows what was promised, but he is likely transfer bound again.

Reactions: melstew
When styles left, most knew buchner was gone as they were very close. I feel for the kid because he obviously trusted Rees and who knows what was promised, but he is likely transfer bound again.
i Know nothing about the styles piece but Saban doesn’t promise kids anything. I wouldn’t be surprised if tb reached out to tr and after discussing with Saban they looked at as a security piece. If Simpson got the nod over Milroe in all likelihood Miroe was transferring. That would leave Saban with a rs fr starting and 2 true fr backups. He needed someone with game experience.

Reactions: melstew
Very happy for the kid. Hope he does well. Still wish he stayed at ND and started in 24. At least him starting at Bama proves to me it was not a bad decision to move on. Jmo

Very happy for the kid. Hope he does well. Still wish he stayed at ND and started in 24. At least him starting at Bama proves to me it was not a bad decision to move on. Jmo
LOL@ starting in 2024 as a foregone conclusion. He might have beat out Hartman and started in 2023.

It's an ND-homer-narrative that Buchner lost his job to Hartman as to why he left. For all we know, Buchner was the better QB and simply left for greener pastures because he wanted to compete for a starting job at a better program.

LOL@ starting in 2024 as a foregone conclusion. He might have beat out Hartman and started in 2023.

It's an ND-homer-narrative that Buchner lost his job to Hartman as to why he left. For all we know, Buchner was the better QB and simply left for greener pastures because he wanted to compete for a starting job at a better program.
I'm as big a fan of Buchner as any. But he lost the job during the spring game. It was clear Hartman was the starter and the better QB. I was wrong amd admitted it. Try it sometime

He wasn't going to beat out Hartman. That is why he left.....period

Anyone who has seen Sam Hartman play this year knows beyond a shadow of a doubt which QB is better between he and Buchner. It’s not a ND-Homer-narrative, it’s simple facts and obvious to anyone besides you apparently. No offense to Buchner intended.

Bama is likely in a spoiler role now, so good luck to TB

I just don't see how he beats out Milroe and Simpson and I hate it for the kid. He could've stayed and got on the field in some short yardage situations. If he stayed healthy he would be starting next season.
What’s your current opinion ? 😜

If you can’t see that Hartman is a better QB then I don’t know what to tell you

Reactions: NotreDomer1

Missed this beauty.

Bump, lol. Guess F+ says Buchner would have started

Bump. Good call

Reactions: McCallen ND NYC

Huh? Clueless as usual.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT