ADVERTISEMENT

Football Transcripts: Joshua Burnham, Pat Coogan, Howard Cross and Riley Leonard after Stanford win

Tyler James

All Star
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
JOSHUA BURNHAM

Coach was just talking about how much pain you were in during the week. When were you really sure you were going to play? How much pain did you have to play through?

“Coming off an ankle injury has been pretty painful the whole week. I don’t really necessarily know a certain day. I’ve been ready. Waiting for the opportunity to come back, and today was the day.”

What are the challenges of going back and forth between the field end and vyper end positions?

“It’s definitely a challenge switching to and from. Thankfully, I was there [at vyper] before. The coaching staff being able to help and sit down after practice and everything, being able to get in the playbook and just ask questions and have the best resources around, it’s been super helpful.”

Can you take me through the read on the play where you recovered the fumble? What was going through your head as that play developed?

“I saw the tackle go down, so I knew I had to (indiscernible) and feather. It just so happened I was at the right place at the right time. I threw my hand out, was able to tip it and came down with it.”

Is there any nervousness coming back from the injury?

“It was more excitement for sure. I was out for a couple weeks. The feeling of not being able to get out there and contribute, help the team and then finally being able to go out there and play with your boys, it was awesome.”

Where are you right now? 80%? 90%? How would you put it?

“We’re 100%. We’re good to go.”

How important was it for you to get back out there today after being out?

“It was big. Definitely a big mental game just being able to get back out there right where I left off. I felt comfortable, felt confident. I was able to go out and execute. We have a good group of guys around us, a good group of coaches. We were able to get it done.”

How big are those fourth-down stops? Are those big moments in a ball game?

“Absolutely. The momentum changed and everything being able to get the ball back to our offense. It just builds confidence both ways on both sides of the ball.”

How do you juggle wanting to be out on the field to play while you see some of the other defensive ends going down with injuries but knowing you have to take care of your body?

“It’s definitely tough. The past couple weeks in practice and everything we were kind of dealing with that. Wanting to get back out there but not necessarily at that full level. But the recovery, the treatment, the training staff and coaches, they’re a huge help every step of the way.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.