ADVERTISEMENT

TOS: Article on Samardzija

I'm happy how this worked out for Jeff. He was a great WR though.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

It did work out for him. I do think he could have been great in the NFL. I don't think he would have been megatron great, but I think he would have been pro bowl quality.

As a pitcher, I don't get the impression that he will ever be more than a mid rotation inning eater. He will make more money and be healthier though.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Smart move. He never would have made that kind of money in football. All guaranteed too. That doesn't t happen in the NFL.

All things being equal - it's a no-brainer to choose baseball over football. I bet Earl Campbell wishes he could throw a 90mph fastball.

When he's 60 years old and still able to walk upright and enjoy his life, his decision to play baseball rather than football will be reinforced.

Smart move. He never would have made that kind of money in football. All guaranteed too. That doesn't t happen in the NFL.

It was only a smart move becuase he got first round type of money, even though he got picked in the 5th round I believe. I think his first contract was 5 years for 10 million. The problem with baseball is it's so many levels 99 percent of the guys that get drafted probably never make it. Where as he probably wouldn't have been a first round pick in the NFL and wouldn't have seen 10 million until his second NFL contract if he made it that far. So only in that sense it was a no brainer.

Big baseball fan here. I agree 100%. The NFLPA is terrible in comparison to the MLBPA.
It is crazy! With how much revenue the NFL generates and the fact that there is a 100% chance for injury and you'll be lucky to play for 4 years. Hard to say this considering the fact they make millions and have a nice lifestyle, but the NFL players are getting absolutely hosed.

It is crazy! With how much revenue the NFL generates and the fact that there is a 100% chance for injury and you'll be lucky to play for 4 years. Hard to say this considering the fact they make millions and have a nice lifestyle, but the NFL players are getting absolutely hosed.
You also have no fall back in football, due to the country's overwhelming ambivalence to minor league football. In baseball, if your career has a bump or falls off track a little, you go down to AAA and get yourself right. In football, your career is basically over.

You also have no fall back in football, due to the country's overwhelming ambivalence to minor league football. In baseball, if your career has a bump or falls off track a little, you go down to AAA and get yourself right. In football, your career is basically over.
Good point......

It was only a smart move becuase he got first round type of money, even though he got picked in the 5th round I believe. I think his first contract was 5 years for 10 million. The problem with baseball is it's so many levels 99 percent of the guys that get drafted probably never make it. Where as he probably wouldn't have been a first round pick in the NFL and wouldn't have seen 10 million until his second NFL contract if he made it that far. So only in that sense it was a no brainer.
Baseball money is guaranteed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT