ADVERTISEMENT

Top recruits sound off on BK

WHOA WHAT !?!?!? AN ND MEDIA OUTLET ACTUALLY CRITICIZING THE PROGRAM / THE RECRUITING / BRIAN KELLY --- WHAT IN THE HELL DID I JUST SEE!?!?! ... IS THERE PIGS FLYING OUTSIDE!?!?! ... HAS HELL FROZEN OVER!?!?! ... DID Y2K HAPPEN BUT JUST 20 YEARS LATE !?!?!

Carter Karels had an interesting article about recruiting. It seems both Latham Ransom and Jalen McMillan had little to no contact with Kelly. They said this lack of contact went along way in to deciding to eliminate Notre Dame. They found it strange that the HC's where all over them including Day who was getting his team ready for the playoff. Both were also offered late in the process. I'm not a Kelly basher but this is not good. 2 big misses for Nd

Pretty interesting quotes from arguably the top offensive and defensive recruits for the 2020 class. Maybe this is what BK was referring to in the press conference talking about bringing in Top 5 classes.

THIS ARTICLE IS LIKE 5+ YEARS LATE BUT HOLY HELL I NEVER THOUGHT I'D SEE A PIECE CRITICAL OF THE PROGRAM/BRIAN KELLY/HIS RECRUITING FROM AN ND INSIDER/MEDIA OUTLET ... ND HAS THEIR MEDIA PEOPLE BY THE BALLS ...

IF THIS GUY HAS PRESS PASSES THEY WILL PROBABLY BE REVOKED.

Who knows what the whole story is, or why BK did not have the communication that these two kids wanted? Its amo for the Kelly haters and this thread will soon be full of "See I told you so" while no one really knows the whole story.

This is a tale as old as time, 18 year old kids saying "if this" and "if that" after they have already signed. Would it have really impacted the decision making process if Kelly busts his ass on these two? Would it have negatively impacted other singees recruiting process? See those questions are never addressed or answered because it is not as grabbing as kids "bashing" Kelly.

Give me a break, you cannot get every recruit.

There have been quotes like this from recruits during most of BKs tenure.
It's no secret BK is pretty hands off when it comes to recruiting. In an environment where recruiting is more important/more shrewd than ever before i have no idea how he's been able to keep his job while checking out of arguably the most important component of it.

Just more evidence of incompetence at the top of the ND food chain.

yawn, another couple of kids with their feelings hurt. hard to truly recruit these days without having to be a professional ass kisser to a lot of these kids. have to put it in perspective. lots of kids have no problem with the way ND recruited them.

It's no secret BK is pretty hands off when it comes to recruiting. In an environment where recruiting is more important than ever before i have no idea how he's been able to keep his job while checking out of arguably the most important aspect of it.

Where are the quotes to support that chase? How many times have kids said this?

Is it just BK or does this happen every year to lots of coaches?

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
It's no secret BK is pretty hands off when it comes to recruiting. In an environment where recruiting is more important than ever before i have no idea how he's been able to keep his job while checking out of arguably the most important aspect of it.

incompetence ? because he didn't coddle a couple of kids ? you post a lot of stupid nonsense but that's bad even for you.

Can't say this article comes as any surprise but it is very damning.

This would fall under the "won't" category of why Kelly fails as an elite recruiter. He simply doesn't want to put in the work or effort.

Kelly has demonstrated time and time again, if left to his own devices, he will always skew towards the paths of least resistance. Whether that be work on the recruiting trail, seeking out and hiring assistant coaches, and making tough firing decisions.

He got pressure from the administration post-2016 but now that he has built up some goodwill, he will invariably slip back into his old ways. As manifested by the tabbing of Rees as OC and retention of Groomsman #3 at oline coach.

There is no excuse for getting out worked on the recruiting trail by other coaches who have produced a superior football product on the field than you have.

Will be interesting to see how the "academic restrictions" and "cold weather" recruiting deniers absorb this article.

There have been different quotes leaked to the media / through podcast commentary from ND insiders / etc. that recruits needed to set up an appointment with his secretary in order to talk to Brian Kelly where Urban Meyer's office was always open to recruits. That when recruits visited campus Brian Kelly was busy/unavailable/nowhere to be found. That a large number of recruits never met Brian Kelly that were considering Notre Dame...random commentary like this over the years.

Carter Karels had an interesting article about recruiting. It seems both Latham Ransom and Jalen McMillan had little to no contact with Kelly. They said this lack of contact went along way in to deciding to eliminate Notre Dame. They found it strange that the HC's where all over them including Day who was getting his team ready for the playoff. Both were also offered late in the process. I'm not a Kelly basher but this is not good. 2 big misses for Nd
or two kids who wanted their asses kissed ?

Reactions: mirer03
haters are gonna hate.

@chaseball is the classic poster who says "several sources say" or "its very common" and provides no evidence to support his claim. When I could post a myriad of in home visit photos of Kelly with recruits and their families that would suggest that he is very hands on.

The problem is they do not understand that you have to prioritize recruiting kids and it appears that these kids were not the top priority for this staff. It is okay, this was a great class and sometimes this stuff happens.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
There have been different quotes leaked to the media / through podcast commentary from ND insiders / etc. that recruits needed to set up an appointment with his secretary in order to talk to Brian Kelly where Urban Meyer's office was always open to recruits. That when recruits visited campus Brian Kelly was busy/unavailable/nowhere to be found. That a large number of recruits never met Brian Kelly that were considering Notre Dame...random commentary like this over the years.

Prove it.

"talk about girls..." nah, I'll pass. Talk about girls with your boys, talk about football and building a foundation for a future with your coaches.

Reactions: Telx1
THIS ARTICLE IS LIKE 5+ YEARS LATE BUT HOLY HELL I NEVER THOUGHT I'D SEE A PIECE CRITICAL OF THE PROGRAM/BRIAN KELLY/HIS RECRUITING FROM AN ND INSIDER/MEDIA OUTLET ... ND HAS THEIR MEDIA PEOPLE BY THE BALLS ...

IF THIS GUY HAS PRESS PASSES THEY WILL PROBABLY BE REVOKED.

No doubt.

Not a wise career move, but mad respect for producing a real piece of journalism.

ND media relations is no doubt reaching out to Pete Sampson as we speak to get some spin control over this article. Expect to see a deep reaching expose about the challenges of juggling all the responsibilities of being HC at ND and how that has affected Kelly on the recruiting trail--but its all going to change going forward. And the Kelly Deniers will be lapping it up like a kitten with a saucer of milk. I can already hear their purring.

BK is a notoriously average recruiter as a head coach. He's always been that way. I use to always talk about the difference between Ohio State's recruiting and Notre Dame's recruiting being Urban Meyer and his obsession with being elite in all aspects. Tireless recruiter. I've heard legitimate stories from people that I trust that he would lay in bed at night and while his wife watched tv and fell asleep, he would text all the top kids that he was after... This, while being the multi-millionaire HC at friggen Ohio State.

That's what you're up against. It needs to be an entire staff effort, year round. I was a recruiting coordinator, it's a 70-80 hour per week job in the off season and up 90 hours in season.

A head coach has a similar schedule. In season you need them to do about 6-8 hours of recruiting per week, but additional time needs to be spent when there are visitors on campus during home game weekends. You need them to send text messages, make a weekly call to your top 25 or so recruits and then myself and the position coaches / coordinators would do the rest.

That's what your up against if you want to recruit top 5 classes regularly. Weis did things like that. Dude didn't end up being a good HC, but he was a tireless, engaged, recruiter.

ND needs more out of Kelly on a daily / weekly basis in the recruiting department. They always have. I'm willing to bet you that he doesn't use an hour and a half of his day to recruit. If he spent one hour texting / DM'ing top targets in the current cycle, and 30 minutes texting / DM'ing elite guys in the next cycle, it would make a huge difference.

I did the job for a long time. I can type quickly and articulate a thought quickly. There is a reason why I tend to make bigger posts. It takes me about 2 minutes to write 2 paragraphs. It's a practiced skill that Kelly needs to get better at. He should be able text and engage in 15+ conversations in one hour with recruits.

Expect to see a deep reaching expose about the challenges of juggling all the responsibilities of being HC at ND and how that has affected Kelly on the recruiting trail--but its all going to change going forward. And the Kelly Deniers will be lapping it up like a kitten with a saucer of milk. I can already hear their purring.

Brian Kelly 3.0 ? :D

Reactions: deadprez3
how do you explain the other kids who have no problem with their recruitment ?
Obviously everyone's different. Some need more coddling than others. I get that you're not going to get every kid but
I can't understand the push back on this topic. The need to improve recruiting should be something we all agree on. He recently admitted that recruiting isn't good enough and still some on this board call it "hating"and blindly defend him to the hilt when there are specific examples exhibited where he could have done more.
Feedback is a gift. Perhaps he took the feedback and is using it as an opportunity to improve.

Last edited:
Ok.....

means what Kelly said 1-2 weeks ago about stepping up recruiting seems as if he is in touch with how to improve things on that front? So what, you want to crucify a guy who realizes we need to improve? Basically telling all of us that the staff didn’t do as much as they could’ve collectively.

when was the last time you came on here to tell us about things you were wrong about and that you’re committed to doing better Chase? I don’t recall that post.

BK is a notoriously average recruiter as a head coach. He's always been that way. I use to always talk about the difference between Ohio State's recruiting and Notre Dame's recruiting being Urban Meyer and his obsession with being elite in all aspects. Tireless recruiter. I've heard legitimate stories from people that I trust that he would lay in bed at night and while his wife watched tv and fell asleep, he would text all the top kids that he was after... This, while being the multi-millionaire HC at friggen Ohio State.

That's what you're up against. It needs to be an entire staff effort, year round. I was a recruiting coordinator, it's a 70-80 hour per week job in the off season and up 90 hours in season.

A head coach has a similar schedule. In season you need them to do about 6-8 hours of recruiting per week, but additional time needs to be spent when there are visitors on campus during home game weekends. You need them to send text messages, make a weekly call to your top 25 or so recruits and then myself and the position coaches / coordinators would do the rest.

That's what your up against if you want to recruit top 5 classes regularly. Weis did things like that. Dude didn't end up being a good HC, but he was a tireless, engaged, recruiter.

ND needs more out of Kelly on a daily / weekly basis in the recruiting department. They always have. I'm willing to bet you that he doesn't use an hour and a half of his day to recruit. If he spent one hour texting / DM'ing top targets in the current cycle, and 30 minutes texting / DM'ing elite guys in the next cycle, it would make a huge difference.

I did the job for a long time. I can type quickly and articulate a thought quickly. There is a reason why I tend to make bigger posts. It takes me about 2 minutes to write 2 paragraphs. It's a practiced skill that Kelly needs to get better at. He should be able text and engage in 15+ conversations in one hour with recruits.

Meyer was even texting recruits in church at the peak of his obsessions.

And I agree with your observations about Kelly's lack of work ethic on the recruiting trail. Its well documented and known throughout the industry.

He really only visits with committed kids at their house when mom has whipped up a nice meal for him to partake in. Or he is always willing to do an on campus photo op in his office assuming he's not previously engaged.

It's all pretty laughable that some would still want to defend his lack of work ethic when it so clearly and directly results in subpar efforts on the field. But to each their own--some people were raised to always be irrationally reverent to perceived authority figures or idols.

Get the whole point here, but are you sure Urban Meyer is the example you want to use? What about going into detail about his scandals at Florida and Ohio State? There is always two sides of the aisle with him, he is not clean regardless of how hard the guy works. John Calipari works hard too but he is a cheater, I know the two are not linked but they are in a very close neighborhood.

Not knocking you at all nor calling what you did a farse, but I find it a bit of a stretch for you to insinuate that you know more than Brain Kelly when it comes to how to engage top recruits or have some advice for the guy.

I think everyone here is simply overreacting. This happens all the time to every coach in America.

It's all pretty laughable that some would still want to defend his lack of work ethic when it so clearly and directly results in subpar efforts on the field. But to each their own--some people were raised to always be irrationally reverent to perceived authority figures or idols.

Kelly himself has implied as much about recruiting.

Reactions: amazingreis
This comes across to me as two teenagers with a healthy sense of entitlement who are butt hurt because just maybe they were a lot more interested in Notre Dame than Notre Dame was in them. Funny how you never here this kind of nonsense from kids who did commit. I've been around high school athletes 20 plus years. Social media has made many of them incorrigible. Way too many divas out there. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

What you are reading in my posts is exasperation.
  • Frustration with the fact that I've been saying the same thing for a half a decade being proven right over and over again and that I still haven't earned the benefit of the doubt
  • Frustrated that the overton window/dialogue regarding ND football hasn't moved despite endless evidence that runs contrary to the mainstream rhetoric/narrative.
  • Frustrated with lackluster recruiting
  • Frustrated with the ND establishment being complicit in the status quo (e.g. no critical articles, no criticism of Kelly, no criticism of ND administrators, etc.)
  • Frustrated with ND brass VIGOROUSLY supporting the status quo
  • Frustrated with fans who think i'm just some irrational hater despite providing tons of data to support my analysis
  • Frustrated that we are still having to go over and over the same deadbeat topics (there's only so many ways you can explain that 2+2=4)
I don't hate Brian Kelly .. i hate the fact that he remains employed at Notre Dame when most can see that he's topped out somewhere in the back half of the top 15 since back in 2015 ... and it's the same group of fans/media/nd establishment rehashing the same lameduck defense/arguments of BK in the face of ever-mounting evidence.

Last edited:
Funny thing about these kids is that they say this knowing ND cant respond. Would be really easy for someone at OSU and Washington that ND competes with to say hey guys put this out there .

Just part of the game.

A lot of you act like this is the first time in the history of recruting that a young kid has said this about a coach.

Get the whole point here, but are you sure Urban Meyer is the example you want to use? What about going into detail about his scandals at Florida and Ohio State? There is always two sides of the aisle with
Get the whole point here, but are you sure Urban Meyer is the example you want to use? What about going into detail about his scandals at Florida and Ohio State? There is always two sides of the aisle with him, he is not clean regardless of how hard the guy works. John Calipari works hard too but he is a cheater, I know the two are not linked but they are in a very close neighborhood.

Not knocking you at all nor calling what you did a farse, but I find it a bit of a stretch for you to insinuate that you know more than Brain Kelly when it comes to how to engage top recruits or have some advice for the guy.

I think everyone here is simply overreacting. This happens all the time to every coach in America.

Are you seriously like Kelly's illegitimate nephew or something?

Why are you always white knighting for Kelly so much?

Here is an article in print with direct quotes from recruits along with some information from the most knowledgeable and clued in poster on our board giving evidence that Kelly is a subpar recruiter and you still want to deny it.

When you so blatantly, irrationally, and continually defend one side of an argument with such rigidity and venom in the face data points and simple logic it makes it really difficult for people to take you seriously.

Just doesn't make sense. So strange.

This comes across to me as two teenagers with a healthy sense of entitlement who are butt hurt because just maybe they were a lot more interested in Notre Dame than Notre Dame was in them. Funny how you never here this kind of nonsense from kids who did commit. I've been around high school athletes 20 plus years. Social media has made many of them incorrigible. Way too many divas out there. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Im not getting into the Kelly argument. But we definitely wanted these 2 recruits. They were top of the board guys. And we tried to flip both of them multiple times but failed

Reactions: TheSodFather
FWIW, Im not making excuses for Kelly. We absolutely needed these two guys and if this is why we didn’t get them, it’s shameful. Recruiters are salesman and they need to be in tune to what the customer wants. I’m glad Kelly recognized this eventually though. Maybe this year will produce better results for that acknowledgment.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Are you seriously like Kelly's illegitimate nephew or something?

Why are you always white knighting for Kelly so much?

Here is an article in print with direct quotes from recruits along with some information from the most knowledgeable and clued in poster on our board giving evidence that Kelly is a subpar recruiter and you still want to deny it.

When you so blatantly, irrationally, and continually defend one side of an argument with such rigidity and venom in the face data points and simple logic it makes it really difficult for people to take you seriously.

Just doesn't make sense. So strange.

I think everyone is overrating to the fact that these kids felt that a coach was not giving them enough attention. It happens, sometimes when you prioritize recruits you realize that you might have to sacrifice one for another, so on and so forth. Its common and it happens, even to the best recruiters who are all about the kids. In this case the caliber of the kids stand out, which it should but it does not warrant the overreaction that we are in some way incapable of landing top tier talent right? I have heard so many people say "he was on the top of our board" but where is the proof in that? Sure they were recruits we wanted but these kids probably showed early signs of committing elsewhere and the coaching staff made adjustments and focused on other kids, who knows.

No one knows what went on with these recruits and to take quotes from a kid and structure an article to make it seem like BK is not involved with recruits is an unfair evaluation. So he did not do a good enough job to land these recruits, fair, but can we say he was on his couch eating cheetos drinking a cold one and just being lazy instead? No we cannot, and that is my point.

@NotreDomer1 said it perfectly "We absolutely needed these two guys and if this is why we didn’t get them, it’s shameful."

But do we really know that is the sole reason we lost these two guys no we do not. It is one thing to take into consideration the facts and make a decision, but we do not have all the facts in order to jump to the conclusion that BK just sat around and ignored these guys for no reason. To me that is an unfair assumption.

Funny thing about these kids is that they say this knowing ND cant respond. Would be really easy for someone at OSU and Washington that ND competes with to say hey guys put this out there .

Just part of the game.

Maybe BK was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

Stop the nonsense.

Y'all act like there is some big conspiracy going on and covert operation that wants to put out secrets but through a friend of a little birdy, who is friends with "they" who the samurai killed at a foyer in a home in suburban Detroit.

If this garbage went on in today's social media age it wouldn't be a secret very long. Loose lips sink ships and everyone today just ultimately can't help themselves from the jibber jabber.

Come on!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT