ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Jones

4.69 and 4.70
That's about what most would have expected. He looked good in drills though. He is probably a longshot to get drafted but he'll get a look in a camp somewhere and hopefully they will see he does everything well except run fast. I'm pulling for him.

Good lucky to Tony... he tried his best at ND and did some good things, he’s just physically limited

He was invited to the NFL combine.
He’s not that limited.

You get invited to the combine to perform or expose how limited you are. Tony ran slow, benched an embarrassing 13 reps, and jumped like a lower tier o lineman. The combine just put numbers to what we all witnessed last season. Slow and soft. He won’t be drafted.

You get invited to the combine to perform or expose how limited you are. Tony ran slow, benched an embarrassing 13 reps, and jumped like a lower tier o lineman. The combine just put numbers to what we all witnessed last season. Slow and soft. He won’t be drafted.

Yet he had 857 yds, 6 TDs and 6.0 ypc this past year, including 176 yds vs USC and 135 yds in the bowl game. He had a very nice career for ND.

I think he'll catch on as a special teamer in the NFL.

He’s not that limited.
Yeah he actually is. Finke was invited as well and he is limited. It's okay. Not everyone has God given abilities like a Kyle Hamilton.

Neither really should been invited to the combine. The 2 guys who didnt get an invite would have performed better. Jam Jones and Bilal

Yet he had 857 yds, 6 TDs and 6.0 ypc this past year, including 176 yds vs USC and 135 yds in the bowl game. He had a very nice career for ND.

Doubtful but I hope he does.

Whatever the future holds for Tony, that 84 yard home run ball against ISU was not only hilarious, but well earned. I still replay that run from time to time. Let's not forget how fun that was to watch Tony 's catch and run against USC. Stellar!

Reactions: Bumpdaddy and mbd11

what were his game by game stats ?
the only games vs elite competition were the UGA games. 22 yds total.
So, it may be that, against faster more talented defense his lack of agility and quickness is exposed.

Last edited:
what were his game by game stats ?
the only games vs elite competition were the UGA games. 22 yds total.
So, it may be that, against faster more talented defense his lack of agility and quickness is exposed.

He had over 100 yds in 5 games. He also had 131 yds and 3 TDs against a good Virginia defense, in addition to his big games vs USC and ISU. USC has speed, although they weren't a great defense. ISU had one of the best defenses in the Big 12.

He only had 21 yds vs Georgia, but also only 17 yds vs New Mexico and 14 vs Duke. A lot of times the style of game, defensive schemes, etc will dictate how many carries and yds a RB gets. We threw it a lot against those latter teams.

Slow by nfl running back standards absolutely, but not a slow human being. Not an NFL player. But seriously you think he’s soft? He is one of our toughest runners and blockers and had a very solid career on some pretty good ND teams. I don’t know you, but unless you are Navy-seal tough you shouldn’t be calling Tony Jones soft.

Reactions: d1042
Guy was and based on this thread continues to be under-appreciated by this fan base. To be fair I don’t think he’s going to get drafted but he was a good college player and did a lot of things very well here. All around good football player. Tony had a way of making big plays in key moments, usc to seal the undefeated season then Iowa st in the bowl. I think a team will put him on a practice squad and he’ll develop, they’ll realize he’s a jack of all trades, and eventually he’ll get his chance especially with all the injuries in the nfl these days.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy

He didnt put the work in, someone his size should
be putting up 20 reps on bench.....

Guy was and based on this thread continues to be under-appreciated by this fan base. To be fair I don’t think he’s going to get drafted but he was a good college player and did a lot of things very well here. All around good football player. Tony had a way of making big plays in key moments, usc to seal the undefeated season then Iowa st in the bowl. I think a team will put him on a practice squad and he’ll develop, they’ll realize he’s a jack of all trades, and eventually he’ll get his chance especially with all the injuries in the nfl these days.

not necessarily- more that we recognize he was a better player for college than he is as a-pro prospect

He’s not that limited.
Strength of a cb, speed of a LB or ND senior safety, explosiveness of a olinemen... this was our RB , and the best RB we had this year. And the oline took a lot of blame for run game woes at times.

He didnt put the work in, someone his size should
be putting up 20 reps on bench.....
According to Driskell, Tony suffered back spasms while he was repping and they had to pull the bar from him. He should get another chance at ND's pro day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT