ADVERTISEMENT

Time To Start Poaching

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Tennessee has been awful to start the year. They are a dumpster fire. I could see a 4-8 or 3-9 type of season. They also have some good players committed in their 2020 class. 3 players that I would be in touch with ASAP...

S: Keshawn Lawrence (#79 overall nationally)
DE: BJ Ojulari (#158 overall nationally)
S: Mordecai McDaniel (#409 overall nationally)

Florida State is in for another awful season under uncle Willie. They could get pounded by their ACC competition. I think 6-6 would be a good year for them at this point. 5 players I would be in touch with ASAP...

CB: Demorie Tate (#47 nationally)
APB: Jaylan Knighton (#98 nationally)
RB: Lawrence Toafili (#138 nationally)
S: Jadarius McKnight (#209 nationally)
CB: Jalen Harrell (#238 nationally)

If Notre Dame has a 10-2, or better, top 10 season, they have no business finishing their class with 4 or 5 lesser prospects. They should be finishing strong, with highly rated guys, as their peers will be.

What the board should be (pending grades)...

OT: Andrew Gentry (#57 nationally)
OT: Myles Hinton (#65 nationally)
S: Keshawn Lawrence (#79 nationally)
OT: Garrett Hayes (#97 nationally)
RB: Jaylan Knighton (#98 nationally)
CB: Dontae Manning (#103 nationally)
DE: Tyler Baron (#105 nationally)
WR: Bryan Robinson (#109 nationally)
DE: Jay Hardy (#117 nationally)
RB: EJ Smith (#121 nationally)
RB: Lawrance Toafili (#138 nationally)
DE: BJ Ojulari (#158 nationally)
DT: Jacolbe Cowan (#165 nationally)
S: Jadarius McKnight (#211 nationally)
S: Javier Morton (#220 nationally)
CB: Jalen Harrell (#237 nationally)
S: Malcom Greene (#311 nationally)
S: Mordecai McDaniel (#409 nationally)

Let's go staff... Late nights of hard work and get some of these guys at home games and recruit the hell out of them. You're only taking 4 or 5 more players. Let's get some dogs.

Tennessee has been awful to start the year. They are a dumpster fire. I could see a 4-8 or 3-9 type of season. They also have some good players committed in their 2020 class. 3 players that I would be in touch with ASAP...

Florida State is in for another awful season under uncle Willie. They could get pounded by their ACC competition. I think 6-6 would be a good year for them at this point. 5 players I would be in touch with ASAP...

If Notre Dame has a 10-2, or better, top 10 season, they have no business finishing their class with 4 or 5 lesser prospects. They should be finishing strong, with highly rated guys, as their peers will be.

Let's go staff... Late nights of hard work and get some of these guys at home games and recruit the hell out of them. You're only taking 4 or 5 more players. Let's get some dogs.
Agreed it's a great time to raid. However, have any of the above shown any interest in ND? I assume the majority lack grades and or interest. I hope I'm wrong

recent CB’s indicates Tenn. is not ‘spent’, but just the opposite.
FSU, well FSU, enough said.

recent CB’s indicates Tenn. is not ‘spent’, but just the opposite.
FSU, well FSU, enough said.

We'll see what happens when they start 1-5 after beating Chatanooga and lose consecutive games to Florida, Georgia and Alabama, before their next "winnable" game against South Carolina... It's all about the long game for guys like Hardy and Baron, who aren't committed. Hopefully the ND DEs dominate, while Tennessee falls on their ass and you just stay in their ear for the next 3 months. Same goes with any of the Florida State kids that might be a fit.

Last edited:
I haven't heard of any new names yet in recruiting. Or of us looking at players to poach. Im hoping we start to hear some rumors soon

We'll what happens when they start 1-5 after beating Chatanooga and lose consecutive games to Florida, Georgia and Alabama, before their next "winnable" game against South Carolina... It's all about the long game for guys like Hardy and Baron, who aren't committed. Hopefully the ND DEs dominate, while Tennessee falls on their ass and you just stay in their ear for the next 3 months. Same goes with any of the Florida State kids that might be a fit.

I don’t think you understood.
Remember that WR that committed to Ole Miss?
There are 4 possible motivators: geo, edu, winning and you know the 4th one.

I don’t think you understood.
Remember that WR that committed to Ole Miss?
There are 4 possible motivators: geo, edu, winning and you know the 4th one.

I understand your point. Notre Dame has to be on the lookout for guys looking to shake loose is all I'm saying. Hell, I'm giving Jalen McMillan an ironic call 5 minutes after the Washington loss to Cal, just to say "what's up"...

IIO -- excellent analysis as usual! However, 2 questions -- how many of these guys have any interest in ND? and probably the most important -- how many will qualify to get into ND?

Reactions: chaseball
IIO -- excellent analysis as usual! However, 2 questions -- how many of these guys have any interest in ND? and probably the most important -- how many will qualify to get into ND?

You don't know until you make the call... It's not too late for a kid to change his second semester course load to include that 2nd language course lol.

Last I heard, ND staff mentioned they only have room for 2 more prospects. That was before Derek Allen decided to transfer so that would leave room for 3 prospects. Have you heard differently?

You don't know until you make the call... It's not too late for a kid to change his second semester course load to include that 2nd language course lol.
Right I mean we only have a few spots left so start with the elite guys first and call. I’d have my eye on Stanford guys in a next tier way because they look poised for some rough times ahead (and they’d fit academically). USC has some buzz but I still have to think Helton will find a way to win 8/9 at most and then he’d be done so you have to call those kids I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
Last I heard, ND staff mentioned they only have room for 2 more prospects. That was before Derek Allen decided to transfer so that would leave room for 3 prospects. Have you heard differently?

I'd gladly take 4 guys and sort it out later... Numbers are NEVER an issue as long as you don't go crazy with over signing. Somebody will always transfer or get in trouble. Worst case scenario, you have season exit interviews and spring exit interviews with each player and some brutal honesty can always help you shake a kid or two loose, who think they're good enough to play elsewhere.

In the era of the transfer portal, oversigning is not likely to be an issue.

Alot of these recruits might be sold on early playing time at these universities

UVA IMO spanks them this week and Taggart's seat gets warmer.

But having said that your typical FSU recruit isn't coming here.

Ditto Stanford-----he's a smart kid and it isn't all about football-----and David Shaw isn't going anywhere.

I thought Gentry was going on his mission? He would be a great get if possible

I thought Gentry was going on his mission? He would be a great get if possible

He is. It's ND's job to recruit him to the bitter end and convince him to postpone it.

I hope people don't think all of the guys I listed are guys ND has a shot with. They're just guys ND needs to make calls to, while continuing to recruit their "plan C" recruits that are more likely... You get 2 of those guys I listed and you're better off than getting 2 guys that were further down your board but became necessary offers.

He is. It's ND's job to recruit him to the bitter end and convince him to postpone it.

I hope people don't think all of the guys I listed are guys ND has a shot with. They're just guys ND needs to make calls to, while continuing to recruit their "plan C" recruits that are more likely... You get 2 of those guys I listed and you're better off than getting 2 guys that were further down your board but became necessary offers.
Wouldn't Gentry still be worth taking even if he were to go on his mission and arrive 2 years later?

Reactions: Tru2Irish
"A narrow loss to Boise is not a death knell"

What do you think this board would do with a narrow loss to Boise State???
The apologists would be quiet or MIA for a week, maybe a bit longer.....

while the critics would dissect the game in a very real fashion and give their factual takes on why the loss happened.

Pretty much how it is now.

Reactions: Kelso86
Wouldn't Gentry still be worth taking even if he were to go on his mission and arrive 2 years later?

Not really, IMO. Very few of those guys go away for two years and stay in football shape. Some do, but I doubt that Gentry remains the top 100 prospect that he is now, after two years away from football and a training regimen.

Last edited:

while the critics would dissect the game in a very real fashion and give their factual takes on why the loss happened.

————————————————————————————————
or more objectively honestly and realistically, something more in the middle of that!

BSU is no longer considered a sub par walk-over!

I think the fact FSU only beat LA Monroe by one the next week would be a bigger deal than losing to a decent BSU team. FSU sucks.

————————————————————————————————
or more objectively honestly and realistically, something more in the middle of that!

BSU is no longer considered a sub par walk-over!
E
X
A
C
T
L
Y

Hence I stress the BK critics would analyze in a very real fashion.

Boise state can play.

Matter of fact you can tell who really understands football present day and who doesn't.

Far too many on here are nothing more than trendy fans.

Posting around how Michigan sucks because Army took them to overtime...or just ultimately don't understand how close the gap is between the haves and the have nots.

85 scholarship rule and the way teams play offense today....teams score in college football today. period.

If an average program has a great game while the better program has a bad game and or bad luck game. .... no longer can teams just win on talent playing a terrible game.

The gap is just way too close yet every week posters on here want to tee hee hee makimg fun of team A getting upset by team x

It's a different time and any team in any week has a chance now.

That's just fact.

UVA IMO spanks them this week and Taggart's seat gets warmer.

But having said that your typical FSU recruit isn't coming here.

Ditto Stanford-----he's a smart kid and it isn't all about football-----and David Shaw isn't going anywhere.
To be clear I don’t think Shaw is going anywhere either when I suggesting poaching those guys. I just think that team is in decline and may be lucky to win 6 games this year. The D ain’t what it was and neither is their oline, and hbs for that matter. If you can present a recruit with similar academics and a brighter football situation it’s worth a shot.

To be clear I don’t think Shaw is going anywhere either when I suggesting poaching those guys. I just think that team is in decline and may be lucky to win 6 games this year. The D ain’t what it was and neither is their oline, and hbs for that matter. If you can present a recruit with similar academics and a brighter football situation it’s worth a shot.

Shaw has a very limited population to recruit from. He is doing a great job.

Generally agree.

ND fans need to recognize the changes to college football even since 2000, when evaluating BK. An evaluation standard in 2005 would not have the-same benchmarks in 2015, for example. Kelly is now competing in a-whole different environment.

First things first. The Irish need to have another 10+ win season. I am not so sure that will happen. They have quite a few things to address. RB position suspect at best. Do they have a downfield threat like Fuller ? Will Book improve or regress ? Can the run defense be an asset or is it going to be an issue ? How quickly can the LB’s improve and make a difference ? How good is the kicking game ? These are all areas of concern. ND could go 11 and 1 or 10 and 2. They could also go 9 and 3 or 8 and 4. What is the point? Looking at the schedule and the talent they “ appear “ to have , only a couple games should be a lock. Georgia, SC, Michigan, Stanford and even Virginia look like potential hazards. I’m not say they are going to lose all of them, but those teams are going to be tough games. The room for error from the Irish is minimal if they want to win those games. By then end of the month we should pretty much get a good feel of how good this team is.

ND fans need to recognize the changes to college football even since 2000, when evaluating BK. An evaluation standard in 2005 would not have the-same benchmarks in 2015, for example. Kelly is now competing in a-whole different environment.

Okay. What are they?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT