ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thoughts On 2021 ESPN300

EJ Holland

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Apr 25, 2019
Here some thoughts on the rankings overall and ND targets...

*** Tommy Brockermeyer is your No. 1 overall recruit on this list. I love Brockermeyer. He's an absolute mauler with all the tools to be an All-American and first round NFL pick. I'm not sure he would be my No. 1, but he's a five-star guy for me. It's unfortunate that he'll miss his entire junior year due to injury.

*** Five-star defensive lineman Korey Foreman checked in at No. 3. He would probably be my No. 1 overall. He was flat out dominant at The Opening. I mean, the dude was tossing around 2020 SEC offensive line commits like rag dolls. He also outperformed 2020 Clemson commit Bryan Besee, who some believe is the top overall recruit in 2020.

*** My dude Tony Grimes coming in at No. 6! I absolute love the four-star Virginia corner. I think he has the highest floor out of any recruit in the 2021 class. He's already a stud and will make an early impact wherever he lands. I love his length, technique and upper body strength.

*** No. 7 James Williams isn't a Notre Dame guy. But I did want to mention he's one of the scariest recruits I've ever seen. He's mean, nasty and violent. Former Miami safety commit that embodies that South Florida mentality. If we're starting a brawl and I had to pick a recruit to lead the fight, Williams would be my guy.

*** Top Notre Dame RB target Camar Wheaton came in at No. 8. I love his physical tools and his speed for his size is out of this world. Everything points to him being the next generational back coming out of the Lone Star State. But I want to see production this season before I jump on that boat. He's special nevertheless.

*** Super Mario checked in at No. 14. He may be a tiny guy right now, but Florida wide receiver Mario Williams is flat out unstoppable. I loved what I saw from him at the Prime21 event this summer. He's as quick as a cat — well, at least my cat. Mike has a fat feline — and is a gifted route runner.

*** Notre Dame defensive line target Landon Jackson came in at No. 17. He missed almost all of last year with a torn ACL. Out of all the Texas targets, he's probably the guy I'm the least familiar with. I'm driving down to see him at practice in a few weeks.

*** No. 19 Will Shipley is one of my personal favorites. I remember seeing him at Pylon Atlanta 7v7 this offseason and had no clue who he was. He doesn't look special, but man, he's a playmaker. Shipley was a killer as a pass catcher out of the backfield and in the slot. On a team full of FBS recruits, Shipley was the best bar non. Christian McCaffrey comparisons are well deserved.

*** Notre Dame TE commit Cane Berrong came in at No. 21. If there is one position Notre Dame knows how to evaluate, it's tight end. So while both Bryan Driskell and I expressed some concerns after watching him at Irish Invasion, it's not hard to see why the staff likes him. He has tremendous speed for his size, a frame to carry some extra weight and great hands. He's only been playing the position for a few years, which makes him even more intriguing. This might be too high, but I think this ranking has a lot to do with potential.

*** Keep an eye on No. 23 Isaiah Johnson. I wrote about the four-star West Virginia cornerback last week. He's on the Notre Dame radar but has some academic work to do.

*** It's crazy that Rivals has Michigan offensive lineman Garrett Dellinger ranked as a three-star and ESPN has him as a Top 30 guy nationally. Derrick Davis has awesome film, and David Daniel is intriguing. Both are in the 20s. I haven't seen any of these guys live and would like to learn more about them, especially Davis. Again, his film is a fun watch.

*** Emeka Egbuka is No. 31 overall. I think he's a little high on Rivals. This is probably where I would have him. Not amazing at anything but just a damn good athlete.

*** Where the hell is Beaux Collins?

*** Deion Colzie at No. 48 is very interesting. I haven't seen much of him, but I know the Notre Dame staff loved his summer camp performance hence why they offered on the spot.

*** Shedeur Sanders at No. 49. I like him. I like Deion. This ranking is preposterous.

*** JT Tuimoloau at No. 50. Joke.

*** Notre Dame QB commit Tyler Buchner at No. 55. I like it. I think Buchner has all the tools. Mentally, he's one of the more impressive prospects I've ever talked football with. But he hasn't played in a ton of games. Remember, he's coming off a torn ACL. This season will tell us a lot about him.

*** Elliott Donald and Rocco Spindler check in at No. 57 and No. 58, respectively. I'm interested to see how Donald develops. If he's half as good as his relative, Aaron Donald, he's going to be a stud. Spindler is one of the more intriguing guys this cycle. I'm not sure which side of the ball he ends up on.

*** Beaux Collins at No. 61. Joke.

*** Ga'Quincy McKinstry at No. 63 is also laughable. Rivals has it right. He's the No. 1 athlete in the country.

*** I really like No. 65 Reuben Fatheree, who added a Notre Dame offer in the spring. He's lost a lot of stock on Rivals and 247, and I'm not sure why. He's big, has the frame to put on a lot of good weight and is extremely athletic. How athletic? He played AAU for Houston Hoops, which has produced NBA player like De'Aaron Fox, and was impressive this summer.

*** I will be seeing both Landon Tengwall and Cristian Dixon on the same weekend in September. They came in at No. 69 and No. 71, respectively. Tengwall is obviously a huge priority, but I'm just getting familiar with his game. I know Dixon is a great downfield threat. I want to see him do more than just go deep. He's poised to have a big season now that he's transferred into Mater Dei.

*** Wyatt Milum is a guy we need to talk more about. He's Top 100 nationally on ESPN and visited Notre Dame in the spring.

*** I think Notre Dame should offer No. 97 Ishmael Ibraheem. He has a 3.5 GP and may be the best corner in Texas next cycle.

*** Blake Fisher is No. 105 on ESPN. He's No. 14 on Rivals. I think he's a Top 50 guy nationally with five-star potential.

*** No. 115 Ja'Tavion Sanders has a Notre Dame offer. He's one of the best pass rushers I've seen in a while. He also has one of the most apathetic attitudes I've seen in a while. He's very much boom or bust.

*** Billy Bowman is in at No. 117. Committed to Texas today. Tough loss for the Irish.

*** Donovan Jackson at No. 122 is way to low. He was dominant at The Opening and is a Top 50 national prospect. No question. I would actually put him ahead of Fisher.

*** Jakailin Johnson at No. 123 is too low. He's an elite corner and a must-land for Notre Dame next cycle.

*** Jaquez Smith is in at No. 128. He was the least impressive Notre Dame target I saw all offseason. I don't see it.

*** No. 144 Wynden Ho'ohuli makes a lot of sense for Notre Dame. The Irish need to offer more linebacker, have had success in Hawaii and Ho'ohuli has legitimate interest. I liked what I saw from him in 7v7.

*** Notre Dame defensive line commit Gabriel Rubio is in at No. 146. I think this is about right. He's a ball of clay ready to be molded. He could shoot up the rankings depending on how his junior season goes. Gabriel is probably my favorite ND commit, including the 2020 class. One of the best kids you'll ever meet.

*** No. 162 Quaydarius Davis is committed to Texas. I think he's the next Dez Bryant.

*** No. 177 is Notre Dame safety offer JD Coffey. He's one of the best small school players in the state of Texas. The dude already has a dozen varsity interceptions to his name.

*** Good to see New Jersey defensive lineman George Rooks at No. 181. He's a guy that not a lot of people are talking about. Very good player. Notre Dame may have the inside track early on.

*** I know my reporting on Reid Carrico has been pretty negative in terms of Notre Dame. But I love this kid's game. The Ohio linebacker came in at No. 204, which I think is too low. He's a great prospect at a premium position.

*** Indiana linebacker Yanni Karlaftis is in at No. 219. He shouldn't be in the same ball park as Carrico. I don't get the love fest with him. I actually take my comment back on Jaquez. Karlaftis is the least impressive Notre Dame target I saw this offseason.

*** Notre Dame offensive line commit Greg Crippen made the list at No. 273. I think he should be a bit higher, but overall, I'm cool with this. He's a very good center prospect.

*** I'm very high on No. 291 Jonah Miller. Same school that Notre Dame recruited Lathan Ransom out of. I think he's an elite caliber offensive tackle. I don't think Notre Dame moves on him, though. There is just so much talent in the trenches next cycle.

*** I'm excited to see No. 293 Trey Zuhn in the fall. Notre Dame is very high on the Colorado offensive lineman.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News