ADVERTISEMENT

The transfer portal may be a godsend for ND

domer1976

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2001
The fact that ND is sometimes at a competitive disadvantage recruiting HS players due to its academic standards is well documented. This has caused ND to take players who are academic fits, but need protracted development to become contributors.

But the liberal graduate transfer rules may become the great equalizer. ND is a “destination school” for accomplished players who have graduated elsewhere, and the post-graduate degree earned from ND carries some weight.

But even without that, certainly players from universities like Arizona St, Duke, Oklahoma St, etc greatly elevate their national profiles by playing at ND, with its broad-based national appeal. Visibility is a good thing when you’re showcasing for the NFL.

Clearly Freeman considers this an option, and as long as the rules stay as there are, taking experienced grad transfers is a far better way to get an “immediate fix” to fill a roster hole that waiting on freshmen to develop.

It also allows Freeman to winnow out players who have earned their degrees from ND, but have failed to develop into “impact players”.

The fact that ND is sometimes at a competitive disadvantage recruiting HS players due to its academic standards is well documented. This has caused ND to take players who are academic fits, but need protracted development to become contributors.

But the liberal graduate transfer rules may become the great equalizer. ND is a “destination school” for accomplished players who have graduated elsewhere, and the post-graduate degree earned from ND carries some weight.

But even without that, certainly players from universities like Arizona St, Duke, Oklahoma St, etc greatly elevate their national profiles by playing at ND, with its broad-based national appeal. Visibility is a good thing when you’re showcasing for the NFL.

Clearly Freeman considers this an option, and as long as the rules stay as there are, taking experienced grad transfers is a far better way to get an “immediate fix” to fill a roster hole that waiting on freshmen to develop.

It also allows Freeman to winnow out players who have earned their degrees from ND, but have failed to develop into “impact players”.
Graduate players are "usually" guys that aren't ready for the NFL. Yes they can help and they have, but it's not the way to a NC imo

Recruiting hs players is still the key. And getting portal help to fill needs is the way I think we'll use it

Graduate players are "usually" guys that aren't ready for the NFL. Yes they can help and they have, but it's not the way to a NC imo

Recruiting hs players is still the key. And getting portal help to fill needs is the way I think we'll use it
Agreed. The portal's good for filling needs, but you don't want to build your team around it, especially since most grad transfers will be one-and-done players.

Yeah, I was under the impression that the portal was a huge negative for ND. Mainly because, again, it's apparently so difficult for players to transfer in, or at least for undergrads. Not so much for grad transfers. So we can lose fifteen players, and then attempt to replenish our ranks with mainly fifth year grad transfers, which is fine I suppose if we get enough to fill the voids. But ultimately is not ideal. If we lose a bunch of frosh and sophs, we need to be able to bring in underclassmen from the portal. And we can't. Or not easily. And that's a serious negative...

Plug and play. Most of the guys that portal have not developed,reached their level of potential[good or bad],want a new experience elsewhere. The only guy that appears that ND might miss is Flores. I think James was already headed out early. So ND will look to fill the gaps with better potentially suited players with experience[there will likely be no underclassmen] so that bodes well for ND. Plus, they have the spring and summer to get acclimated to ND schemes. I think a haul of Mitchell,Collins,Kelly,Leonard,Clark,Oben and another safety would be far more + range than what is leaving.In today's college football, all teams are doing this- some fare better than others by it.By the way, I'd love a De'Rickey Wright S from Vandy to be added. That would be a top portal haul.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT