ADVERTISEMENT

The tone surrounding ND in 2023

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
This coordinator fiasco has been nothing but a complete debacle from beginning to end.

#1 Two things jump out...
ND can't land a big time coordinator...
AND OR
#2 Won't spend the money to get a big time coordinator

If #2 is true then #1 is most definitely true

Finally what message does this send to recruits.

In a day of NIL I can't help but think these kids who are thinking about money now have to be paying attention to this.
Guilty by association?
In other words if ND is getting a rep of not paying coaches then it stands to connect those NIL dots. They aren't to be related but how can't they be married to each to some degree.

We'll see what happens going forward but sans the Bowl game it's been an embarrassing Winter

I don't see it this way at all. Ludwig on his own accord decided not to uproot and move to Indiana. Shit happens.

Bringing in Gino and promoting Parker does more for melding a greater chemistry within the staff. A staff that sees Freeman's vision on the recruiting trail and on the gridiron that will be infectious to the players and recruits.

You can take an all star lineup of assistant coaches and they can flat out perform like dog shit game after game if they don't have the chemistry.

I think the upcoming years will be rather surprising to be honest. I also don't see these hires bouncing out of town after a stellar season anytime soon. Freeman wants consistency over time.

I don't see it this way at all. Ludwig on his own accord decided not to uproot and move to Indiana. Shit happens.

Bringing in Gino and promoting Parker does more for melding a greater chemistry within the staff. A staff that sees Freeman's vision on the recruiting trail and on the gridiron that will be infectious to the players and recruits.

You can take an all star lineup of assistant coaches and they can flat out perform like dog shit game after game if they don't have the chemistry.

I think the upcoming years will be rather surprising to be honest. I also don't see these hires bouncing out of town after a stellar season anytime soon. Freeman wants consistency over time.
And when the offense surpasses everything done last year.. the naysayers will credit TR for installing what G Parker did not have to change... plus Sam Hartmann! Lol

This is inaccurate

Reactions: Tru2Irish
2023 will be an exciting season! fans should try to enjoy it rather than just be a malcontents
ND is very likely not going to be NC, but only 1 teams is! So enjoy the football!

Agree with your take. I just hope it works.

I also don't see these hires bouncing out of town after a stellar season anytime sosoon.
Tommy Rees would like a word.

Now sarcasm aside....

I'm not opposed to bringing in young and or green coaches. They have to get a start somewhere.
Too many people put too much stock on past accomplishments thinking it's automatic they have success everywhere.

Saban sucked at MSU...or at least average. Argue that...
If you do then Mark D'Antonio is the grratest coach who ever lived.

He caught lightning in a bottle at LSU then bailed for the NFL.

Saban REALLY sucked in the NFL for his quick cup of coffee.

He got in a nice groove at Bama and now is in a groove where it's plug and play.

I'm talking about perception. Who cares what I think, you, or any other poster....
It's the perception with those involved. Recruits, coaches abroad, etc.

Right now it's safe to say there is a perception of ND unwilling to spend money.

There was already jabber about that and the NIL horseshit and this Ludwig situation did absolutely no favors. Ludwig may have said no thanks but the damage was done.

Rees who was ND through and through (his words) said adios!
Heistad said he was tired and Buh-bye!

I was elated with Rees leaving. The Kelly regime needs gone!!!! Long gone!!!

But this winter has been a bit of a quagmire with the sideline of Notre Dame football

I am not sure what really happened. The people involved are the only ones that really know. That is a fact. Is this the end of the world ? NO. How big of a deal is it ? I guess that depends on the perspective of the individual. This I do know. Coordinators come and go all the time. Many are looking to move up into a head coaching position. That is the nature of the job. All or close to all HC's were coordinators at some point. ND appears to have a coordinator in Parker. How well will he do ? We will have to wait and see. For me the main thing is this. Recruiting top players and bringing them into the fold, will make any coordinator, offense or defense look great. There isn't an offensive coordinator on the planet that could have made Drew Pyne's god given ability any better. He gave everything he had. I applaud that. However, he was limited in his ability. Same with running backs. They are a good group. Yet, there were plays where an elite back would have gone the distance on some dialed up runs. For me , getting the difference makers is more important that getting a "genius coordinator" Anyway, once all the coaching moves are sorted out, then it's time to get to work. Go Irish !!

Last edited:
Reactions: irishalice
I for one am elated that tommy turnover is gone, no more bk baggage is left. Parker can't be any worse than tommy. All this hype over Ludwig, why? What has he done? Look at his passing stats at OC, not impressed.

Reactions: Ndapolis1
I for one am elated that tommy turnover is gone, no more bk baggage is left. Parker can't be any worse than tommy. All this hype over Ludwig, why? What has he done? Look at his passing stats at OC, not impressed.
Andy Ludwig was courted by Marcus Freeman for a reason. He’s a damn good OC. He personifies what Marcus Freeman wanted in South Bend.

Swung for the fences. Gotta try.

Andy Ludwig was courted by Marcus Freeman for a reason. He’s a damn good OC. He personifies what Marcus Freeman wanted in South Bend.

Swung for the fences. Gotta try.
Maybe, but look at his numbers as far as passing stats go for OC. Not that impressive...who knows

Because it wasnt Ludwigs decision. We broke down negotiations because of the buyout and he went back home with no deal.

Did they try to make another run at him because of the blowback they received? Sounds like it. Too little, too late.

This coordinator fiasco has been nothing but a complete debacle from beginning to end.

AND OR

In a day of NIL I can't help but think these kids who are thinking about money now have to be paying attention to this.
Guilty by association?
In other words if ND is getting a rep of not paying coaches then it stands to connect those NIL dots. They aren't to be related but how can't they be married to each to some degree.

We'll see what happens going forward but sans the Bowl game it's been an embarrassing Winter
ND can't land 5 star player's either why would you think a top OC would come here, they see the way ND plays the game.

Be careful, now. The idiots (and we all know who they are) on this board don't want to hear anything of a rational thought.

AND OR

Guilty by association?

Interesting fact I saw somewhere recently .. every oc hire for like the last 6-7 have had 1 year or less as an oc when hired by ND....

Reactions: 88ND
Interesting fact I saw somewhere recently .. every oc hire for like the last 6-7 have had 1 year or less as an oc when hired by ND....
The answer to this is obvious: ND doesn't believe in paying top dollar for more tenured coordinators they continue to pay a fraction of the cost by giving lesser established coaches an opportunity. And for the most part it has worked under Brian Kelly. No matter who the coordinators were, the Wins just kept coming.

I wouldn't mind this strategy in theory, but in reality, recruits care about who their position coaches are, and they care about status/brand/profile of the coaches who will be coaching them. When your coordinators are unproven it puts you at a disadvantage with potential recruits who justifiably want to play for the most reputable/high profile coaches and coordinators.

Last edited:
While I call bs on freeman today about not being able to land his choices at OC and that Jack was willing to pay (one that so happened to come to campus and go out to a hockey game and take pics), it’s irrelevant to the point that there’s a big problem. The buy out thing could be twisted into a lie three ways from Sunday. Maybe they offered to pay the buyout but not offer him a competitive raise. Maybe they came back and begged him with a buyout after the fact. Maybe it’s an actual complete lie. Regardless, the issue is one of the two points you made.

AND OR

Guilty by association?

While I call bs on freeman today about not being able to land his choices at OC and Jack was willing to pay (one that so happened to come to campus and go out to a hockey game and take pics), it’s irrelevant to the point that there’s a big problem. The buy out thing could be twisted into a lie three ways from Sunday. Maybe they offered to pay the buyout but not offer him a competitive raise. Maybe they came back and begged him with a buyout after the fact. Maybe it’s an actual complete lie. Regardless, the issue is one of the two points you made, but falls back as not willing to pay. Nobody that interested refuses the right price. The fact that both interviews as interested candidates only to turn it down puts Jack and freeman in a huge lie. If you pay the right price, they would’ve come. Period.

While I call bs on freeman today about not being able to land his choices at OC and Jack was willing to pay (one that so happened to come to campus and go out to a hockey game and take pics), it’s irrelevant to the point that there’s a big problem. The buy out thing could be twisted into a lie three ways from Sunday. Maybe they offered to pay the buyout but not offer him a competitive raise. Maybe they came back and begged him with a buyout after the fact. Maybe it’s an actual complete lie. Regardless, the issue is one of the two points you made, but falls back as not willing to pay. Nobody that interested refuses the right price. The fact that both interviews as interested candidates only to turn it down puts Jack and freeman in a huge lie. If you pay the right price, they would’ve come. Period.
DRAMA

Yeah...
the hits keep on coming with this whole OC situation.

ND has become the stepping stone for other, better destinations.
That would be fine if in fact it meant leaving to be a HC at a premier program or similar in the NFL.
Nope...
They use ND as a stepping stone for a better OC job in....

Wait for it...

The same exact job just at a different...cough cough...better perceived location.

Yeah...
the hits keep on coming with this whole OC situation.

ND has become the stepping stone for other, better destinations.
That would be fine if in fact it meant leaving to be a HC at a premier program or similar in the NFL.
Nope...
They use ND as a stepping stone for a better OC job in....

Wait for it...

The same exact job just at a different...cough cough...better perceived location.
Garbage.

Reactions: Kelso86
I don't know the facts behind the scenes....I do know that Al Golden was a head coach at Temple and Miami U. and a DC at Virginia (and now ND). Yet he landed at ND after these gigs. He would know if he is underpaid or not. The only thing that would make me think the $$ is in fact an obstacle is if Freeman himself is well underpaid...making the OC salary untenable.

AND OR

Guilty by association?

It’s already forgotten except for the Dramatic Dozen posters

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT