ADVERTISEMENT

The role I have been calling for Kelly to accept has happened

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
• With play-calling duties deferred to offensive coordinator Chip Long, Kelly said he is more of a game manager now for the offense, defense and special teams. He will alert Long on when the Irish are in four-down mode or ball-possession mode, among other things, and handle clock management.

“This is his game to call,” Kelly said of Long. “I'm certainly, as the head coach, going to continue to manage as I see appropriate during the game.”

Article from Blue Gold

This why I am leaning towards ND making the playoffs.

• With play-calling duties deferred to offensive coordinator Chip Long, Kelly said he is more of a game manager now for the offense, defense and special teams. He will alert Long on when the Irish are in four-down mode or ball-possession mode, among other things, and handle clock management.

“This is his game to call,” Kelly said of Long. “I'm certainly, as the head coach, going to continue to manage as I see appropriate during the game.”

Article from Blue Gold

This why I am leaning towards ND making the playoffs.
After 1 game against Temple? LOL.

Reactions: Islero
Brian Kelly is a better play caller than Chip Long. Just like Charlie was a better play caller than Mike Haywood. Its just that an OC can afford to be myopic and focused. A HC cannot. I guarantee you Nick Saban and Bill Belichick can call a better defensive game than any assistant they ever had, but they understand that distractions and time constraints make that difficult at best.

HCs that give up play calling and take play calling back seem to be guys that flounder. The top 4 guys over the last 5 years Saban, Meyer, Swinney, Stoops did not call plays.

Kelly hasn't called plays since 2014. He is less involved in the offense now then he has been in the past. The basic philosophy is still his as it should be as the head coach. I think less micro managing on his part is a good thing. You let your assistants know what you expect and then you get out of their way and let them do it.

Did anyone else appreciate watching a ND offense that got set and ran the play without the interruption of stopping, looking over to the sideline, getting an audible, guys then adjusting, and the QB getting the snap with one second on the clock, or a delay of game penalty?

Did anyone else appreciate watching a ND offense that got set and ran the play without the interruption of stopping, looking over to the sideline, getting an audible, guys then adjusting, and the QB getting the snap with one second on the clock, or a delay of game penalty?
Yes, yes and YESSSS! No delay of games or having to call timeout for stupidness. Definitely looked prepared.

Kelly hasn't called plays since 2014. He is less involved in the offense now then he has been in the past. The basic philosophy is still his as it should be as the head coach. I think less micro managing on his part is a good thing. You let your assistants know what you expect and then you get out of their way and let them do it.

You are wrong my friend. Read the OP. Kelly made it clear he will be playing a totally different role this season. This will be the first time Kelly has not called the plays.

Reactions: Buguit
You are wrong my friend. Read the OP. Kelly made it clear he will be playing a totally different role this season. This will be the first time Kelly has not called the plays.
Wrong. As Echo said Kelly hasn't called the plays in years. He has revamped the coaching staff. He has coordinators that he trusts to do their job.

Denbrock called the plays in 15 and 16.

Cookies for everyone who arbritrarily said things will be just fine!

...really though, I think BK has finally grown up and accepted what his role is. Can't wait to see it play out for a season because the win numbers might not be at championship level, but I'm hoping there's a bit of a different feel to the games. Less hectic...

Keep it up Irish. Guinness tastes so much better after a win

Last edited:
Brian Kelly is a better play caller than Chip Long. Just like Charlie was a better play caller than Mike Haywood. Its just that an OC can afford to be myopic and focused. A HC cannot. I guarantee you Nick Saban and Bill Belichick can call a better defensive game than any assistant they ever had, but they understand that distractions and time constraints make that difficult at best.

LOL. You must pretend to be this stupid because no one with an ounce of intelligence would contine to post such idiotic things. His play calling against NC State and Clemson was classic (throwing the ball in hurricanes). I also loved when he went for 2 points up by 11. And of course, bringing in a cold Crist for a QB sneak at the goal line (which he fumbled). There is the fake FG incident and going for it on 4th down against FSU (which failed) at his own 40 changing the momentum of the game. I think I blacked out all the other bonehead calls for my own sanity,

Reactions: HRC08 and Buguit
Wrong. As Echo said Kelly hasn't called the plays in years. He has revamped the coaching staff. He has coordinators that he trusts to do their job.
Wrong again Penick. Oh, sorry...Pennick. You do realize you have mispelled the players name? And we are supposed to take you seriously?

Well, there's no confusion about who Is calling plays now, and I hope it stays this way. Kelly may not have previously put together each week's offensive plans, and he may not have called the initial play going into huddle, but he sure seemed intimately involved with every sideline audible, which happened on every play. Saturday, He looked and acted like the elite coaches of today's game, selectively talking to his coaches players as situations warranted, and trusting His offensive coordinator to do his job. And to Bodi's point, Long showed his commitment to the run, even though Temple was stacking the box; and in years past, Kelly would have taken advantage of this and abandoned the running game. Sometimes you have to take advantage of the the defensive dare, but it's always better if you can stick to your strengths and impose your will on the defense, and this mentality was on full display in the Temple game.

Wrong again Penick. Oh, sorry...Pennick. You do realize you have mispelled the players name? And we are supposed to take you seriously?
What was your prior handle? We've read the exact same words about Pennick's handle in prior years. Did you ever consider that this might be Pennick's actual name and the number a reference to the player with a like sounding name? Point being, take issue with the posts, not the spelling in a handle.

What was your prior handle? We've read the exact same words about Pennick's handle in prior years. Did you ever consider that this might be Pennick's actual name and the number a reference to the player with a like sounding name? Point being, take issue with the posts, not the spelling in a handle.
I guess others saw his error as well. First time I have addressed him.If he did not come across as such a pompous know-it-all other posters probably would not point out his ignorance about ND's football history.

Reactions: HRC08
HCs that give up play calling and take play calling back seem to be guys that flounder. The top 4 guys over the last 5 years Saban, Meyer, Swinney, Stoops did not call plays.

Lou Holtz took over both coordinator calling(DC/OC) when needed.

I imagine Saban Meyer Sweeney Stoops made very strong suggestions when needed.

Reactions: Kelso86 and Buguit
Well, there's no confusion about who Is calling plays now, and I hope it stays this way. Kelly may not have previously put together each week's offensive plans, and he may not have called the initial play going into huddle, but he sure seemed intimately involved with every sideline audible, which happened on every play. Saturday, He looked and acted like the elite coaches of today's game, selectively talking to his coaches players as situations warranted, and trusting His offensive coordinator to do his job. And to Bodi's point, Long showed his commitment to the run, even though Temple was stacking the box; and in years past, Kelly would have taken advantage of this and abandoned the running game. Sometimes you have to take advantage of the the defensive dare, but it's always better if you can stick to your strengths and impose your will on the defense, and this mentality was on full display in the Temple game.
I have always hated when the coach says, "we take what the defense gives us." What kind of BS is that? CW said it every week and BK has said it a lot.

Line up and impose your will on the defense! I remember the good old days when teams would run their big backs and fullbacks all game long and by the fourth quarter the defense didn't want anything to do with a huge o-line blocking for a battering ram back.

Facts sir,facts.

Maybe you can provide some proof if you want to refer to them as facts ..... facts are something that can be proven .... Like ND bball players calling the plays .... I proved it ... LOL!!!

Nothing you say is reputable :)

Buguit, which players are calling the plays ? Lol !!

Near as anyone can tell .... Chip Long is calling the plays .... which would prove me correct in sense that I said before that in order for ND to have success BK has to get out of the way

Secondly, another point I've been making for years has come to prove me right .... Kelly's ignorance lining up in the shotgun for short yardage .... especially inside the 5 .... those rushing TD's out of the "I" with Wimbush under center and an extra TE made getting those TD's look easy

Thank you Chip Long :D

Last edited:
Yeah... we'll see. After the Irish's 2nd possession ended in a 4th down and before the ensuing punt.... it was EVERYthing BK could do NOT to go over to Brandon Wimbush as the the QB was exiting the field. I mean it was the 2ND POSSESSION of the season!

I mean it's such common sense. A great coach realizes that he has to spread himself thin and not micro manage any one aspect of the program or else he risks "missing" something or (worse) adversely effecting the morale of the people HE has chosen to carry out said responsibility. A true leader gets the most out of our their subordinates by inspiring and then empowing them. Not by breathing down their necks.

I think BK sticks to the game plan so long as the Irish keep a lead or stay within shouting distance. God forbid they lose a game. All bets are off at that point!

I have little confidence he can go all year without going maniacal. For the sake of his players, coaches and my fellow Irish fans, I pray I'm wrong.

Lou Holtz took over both coordinator calling(DC/OC) when needed.

I imagine Saban Meyer Sweeney Stoops made very strong suggestions when needed.

There's always an exception to the rule and I'm sure BK can let his guys know by simply saying "I want to see a run here" and then a "keep running it."

LOL. You must pretend to be this stupid because no one with an ounce of intelligence would contine to post such idiotic things. His play calling against NC State and Clemson was classic (throwing the ball in hurricanes). I also loved when he went for 2 points up by 11. And of course, bringing in a cold Crist for a QB sneak at the goal line (which he fumbled). There is the fake FG incident and going for it on 4th down against FSU (which failed) at his own 40 changing the momentum of the game. I think I blacked out all the other bonehead calls for my own sanity,

He's had some doozies! NC State takes the cake, imo. I kept waiting but he kept doing what he does. God I pray this year is really different.

Reactions: NIN Irish
Cookies for everyone who arbritrarily said things will be just fine!

...really though, I think BK has finally grown up and accepted what his role is. Can't wait to see it play out for a season because the win numbers might not be at championship level, but I'm hoping there's a bit of a different feel to the games. Less hectic...

Keep it up Irish. Guinness tastes so much better after a win

I agree 100%. Going 9-3 will feel a lot better if it's ends with all of the assistants still in the "roles" they started the year. It will seem as if we have a cohesive staff instead of of a dictatorship.

IIRC there was one play that ND had a burn a TO but I got the feeling that was more due to Brandon then it was with a play coming in late. Wimbush simply let too much time lapse before going thru his checks, calling for motions, etc.

Kelly always called the plays. Every other "OC" was just that in name. Find me any article/source your getting your information from.
Hasn't called the plays in years. If you can't tell by watching the game... You are clueless.

Reactions: echowaker
Near as anyone can tell .... Chip Long is calling the plays .... which would prove me correct in sense that I said before that in order for ND to have success BK has to get out of the way

Secondly, another point I've been making for years has come to prove me right .... Kelly's ignorance lining up in the shotgun for short yardage .... especially inside the 5 .... those rushing TD's out of the "I" with Wimbush under center and an extra TE made getting those TD's look easy

Thank you Chip Long :D
Urban Meyer does it all the time. Guess you think you know more than him too.

Maybe you can provide some proof if you want to refer to them as facts ..... facts are something that can be proven .... Like ND bball players calling the plays .... I proved it ... LOL!!!

Nothing you say is reputable :)
It had been widely reported. Look it up for yourself. Really don t care if you agree or not.

Kelly always called the plays. Every other "OC" was just that in name. Find me any article/source your getting your information from.
Look it up for yourself. Not Interested in convincing you. I know how it has been

Urban Meyer does it all the time. Guess you think you know more than him too.

When you have 10x the talent of the team you're playing almost anything will work .... doesn't make it something to be copied .... I guess you missed last saturdays goal line plays ... like everything else

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT