ADVERTISEMENT

The brilliance of bvg....

cgvr

I've posted how many times?
Jun 25, 2010
“There’s guys in the room that you’ve got to be careful with that. If it doesn’t work for a high-trait player that can’t learn, then yeah, we either find his job simple or we cut down schematically with things. We get better and better then we don’t need as much scheme maybe.”

I like this bit:

“I wouldn’t comprise them relative to (the defense) being too big for them,” VanGorder said. “As a matter of fact I asked them the other day, ‘You want to stop install now, is this too much?’ and they all said, ‘No way, let’s keep going.’ They take pride in that.”

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/too-complex-brian-vangorder-s-defense-tests-young-players

Kinda makes a guy miss hearing Diaco quote Ghandi and talk about vampires and werewolves and scorpions and turtles.

Last edited:
Reactions: perseverare
BVG may need to be more than brilliant this season.

Which position group do you have full confidence to perform at a Top 10 level?
DL: looks solid vs the run, but no proven pass rusher, delicate balance in event of injury or?
LB: lost all-world J Smith, new starters and yet unproven. Looks like and average group; at least till more experienc is there.
DB's: this week, we really do not know the defensive backfield alignment. We do know that the true Fr. may need to be called on.
^ these points are probably the hopes of Texas fans

BTW: no DexW and RB while talented, cannot afford to lose even 1 guy to injury or! Again a true Fr. may be called upon.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
“There’s guys in the room that you’ve got to be careful with that. If it doesn’t work for a high-trait player that can’t learn, then yeah, we either find his job simple or we cut down schematically with things. We get better and better then we don’t need as much scheme maybe.”

He was good in Napoleon Dynamite "uncle rico"

thing is, we all were excited when BVG arrived!
His D was going to be aggresive, force turnovers, score D points!
He had attitude and enthusiasm!
We trusted the hire was a good one, that he had a good plan and that he could communicate it!

now scroll up and read the quotes! is that what is heard in the team meetings? Norm Crosby could not have been more eleguant!

Reactions: Java65
I like this bit:

“I wouldn’t comprise them relative to (the defense) being too big for them,” VanGorder said. “As a matter of fact I asked them the other day, ‘You want to stop install now, is this too much?’ and they all said, ‘No way, let’s keep going.’ They take pride in that.”

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/too-complex-brian-vangorder-s-defense-tests-young-players

Kinda makes a guy miss hearing Diaco quote Ghandi and talk about vampires and werewolves and scorpions and turtles.

“We’ve had the payoff of our system in games already,” VanGorder said. “My first year here it was obvious how the system can work. We’ve been a little bit dented at times since then, and we’ve lost some personnel and such at times. The rhythm of it hasn’t been maybe what I was hoping for.”

We had the worst ppg against us in school history his first year. What the heck is he talking about?

thing is, we all were excited when BVG arrived!
His D was going to be aggresive, force turnovers, score D points!
He had attitude and enthusiasm!
We trusted the hire was a good one, that he had a good plan and that he could communicate it!

now scroll up and read the quotes! is that what is heard in the team meetings? Norm Crosby could not have been more eleguant!

We weren't "all excited" when bvg arrived.

Reactions: IRISHJD98
BVG has a schematic advantage!

“You go in there and practice and maybe know 50 percent of what’s going to happen that day,” Martini said of his freshmen experiences. “You just have to roll with the punches.”

"It took two years, Martini said, for him to get a handle on the scheme, which is widely regarded as intricate and complex. He's now expected to start at will linebacker."

We deliberately handicap ourselves with this "scheme".

BVG WTF?!

what did he just say?
if this is how he speaks in practice and team meetings, if this is how he conveys defensive strategies and schemes, no wonder only one player (Schmidt) understood how to align the defense. Good God, how much does he get paid?

yep

if a defensive player is positioned correctly and then once the play starts, if he goes to or is in the correct position it sounds more accidental than 'planned'; cause they clearly do not comprehend the 'mystique' behind the man and the system!

if they are playing 'zone' it is ' twilight zone'. I bet the offense is equally perplexed, "wtf, are they doing? how do we do our reads when they run around in helter skelter fashion?"

On the other hand, it speaks volumes as to the talent these kids have! they should be giving up 100 points a game!

Last edited:
I think BVG's best was telling Malone-Hatcher he was going to make him a great roll player. Yes, that's exactly what these want to hear.

Hey kid come to ND and I'll make you the best 2nd string player in D1 football.

“We’ve had the payoff of our system in games already,” VanGorder said. “My first year here it was obvious how the system can work. We’ve been a little bit dented at times since then, and we’ve lost some personnel and such at times. The rhythm of it hasn’t been maybe what I was hoping for.”

We had the worst ppg against us in school history his first year. What the heck is he talking about?

I have no idea. I'm still deciphering "find his job simple" from the first post.

BVG may need to be more than brilliant this season.

Which position group do you have full confidence to perform at a Top 10 level?
DL: looks solid vs the run, but no proven pass rusher, delicate balance in event of injury or?
LB: lost all-world J Smith, new starters and yet unproven. Looks like and average group; at least till more experienc is there.
DB's: this week, we really do not know the defensive backfield alignment. We do know that the true Fr. may need to be called on.
^ these points are probably the hopes of Texas fans

BTW: no DexW and RB while talented, cannot afford to lose even 1 guy to injury or! Again a true Fr. may be called upon.
This is why I've come to terms with the fact that ND will probably never win a NC unless they change a bit. While other schools can offer 100% of recruits ND can only offer about 20%. While other schools players spend 80% of their time on football ND players spend 80% of their time on education. At other big programs it really is "next man in", at ND the next man isn't nearly as good as the man that just went out.

Reactions: perseverare
java:
preaching to the chior here.
and the others are out statue shopping.
Hey Perse. I've stayed away from everything ND football on purpose for months now and it's helped me gain a different perspective.

BK has made plenty of mistakes but honestly even if he was perfect it would take ND never having any injuries or players leaving (their choice or not) for ND to ever compete with the likes of Bama or O$U. Meyer and Saban don't have to be perfect because they have enormous advantages in recruiting and training players.

Those schools can recruit any player they want. ND has to take a lot of project players because they simply can't offer most of the elite players. Players at those schools are semi-pro and spend most of their time on football, ND players spend most of their time on school.

So unless a season (like '12) comes along where there are very few injuries and we get every break imaginable I can't see ND really competing for a NC. Win 9-11 games per season and I'm happy with that. I'm no longer going to be upset at a stupid mistake because I realize nobody is perfect and perfect is what it's really going to take for ND to really compete.

Graduate your players (with real degrees), keep them out of trouble and win 9+ games a season and I'm a happy camper.

I think BVG's best was telling Malone-Hatcher he was going to make him a great roll player. Yes, that's exactly what these want to hear.

Hey kid come to ND and I'll make you the best 2nd string player in D1 football.

Fuvk me..... is this really true?

Hey Perse. I've stayed away from everything ND football on purpose for months now and it's helped me gain a different perspective.

BK has made plenty of mistakes but honestly even if he was perfect it would take ND never having any injuries or players leaving (their choice or not) for ND to ever compete with the likes of Bama or O$U. Meyer and Saban don't have to be perfect because they have enormous advantages in recruiting and training players.

Those schools can recruit any player they want. ND has to take a lot of project players because they simply can't offer most of the elite players. Players at those schools are semi-pro and spend most of their time on football, ND players spend most of their time on school.

So unless a season (like '12) comes along where there are very few injuries and we get every break imaginable I can't see ND really competing for a NC. Win 9-11 games per season and I'm happy with that. I'm no longer going to be upset at a stupid mistake because I realize nobody is perfect and perfect is what it's really going to take for ND to really compete.

Graduate your players (with real degrees), keep them out of trouble and win 9+ games a season and I'm a happy camper.

Good post.
I understand ND's criteria and thus their limitations in recruiting.
What I don't understand (someone please explain) is things like:

1. Not having a Division One training table (hell, ANY training table) until a few years back.
While ostensibly everyone else in College Football gave importance to diet, nutrition and training, the Irish were out at BK (not Brian Kelly, Burger King) scarfing down 2 Whoppers, two fries, and a diet coke on a regular basis. How does that ever happen?

2. From what I hear, although it has gotten better, is laziness/miscommunication in recruiting happened all too often.
You are right, we do have such a substantially smaller pool to choose from; therefore
you can never get outworked on the recruiting trail...... you simply can't afford to.

3. There is still an animosity from the academic side (although not as public anymore) towards the football team..... as if these people are embarrassed that ND should have a good football program, that it somehow takes away from Notre Dame's academic reputation, a therory which is myopic, inaccurate and pretentious BS.... see Stanford.

4. The self implosion in head coaching hires, and/or AD's...... no excuse.

I LOVE ND, always will,and believe we are trending upward, but you can't tell me a good portion of the last 20 years of mediocrity isn't self created.

GO IRISH!

Last edited:
"...Graduate your players (with real degrees), keep them out of trouble and win 9+ games a season and I'm a happy camper...."

2 out of 3 ain't bad
a dozen or more disciplinary issues in just over a year!

it is obviously far easier to keep players ON the team and field at some places where the football coach calls the shots!

Last edited:
Reactions: Java65
Not those exact words but he kept rambling on to CMH and it ended up BVG telling CMH he wasn't sure what position he could play in college but he'd make him a great utility player.

That is unbelievable.
I am all for honesty and full disclosure, but if true, that is just incompetent and absurd.

I think the BVG Experience will be judged, in large part, on this year. The guy is a bit of an enigma. In 35 years, VanGorder has had 18 different jobs--pro, college (2 in the SEC), and high school. He has generally gotten good results, with his defenses usually improving. On the other hand, ND was #2 and #30 something in 2012 and 2013 before he arrived, and his first two years were 70 something and 39 (scoring defense not yardage defense). This year he has no superstars but lots of talent and depth. I think 2016 should be a good barometer. I expect to be a top 25 defense based on our schedule, years in the system, and recruiting, but if we are not top 40 I think his job may/should be jeopardy. I hope he succeeds. At a minimum, I know some of the folks on this board like to lift up their otherwise vacuous lives by making fun of his press conferences, and since they don't have much else going for them, it would be a shame to lose that.

Reactions: Houston Wildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT